Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chrysler's New Lifetime Drivetrain Warranty

Comments

• wtd44wtd44 Posts: 1,211
    I have noted that the rebate on Jeep Commanders appears to have dropped by $1000 since January expired into February. This is a seeming price increase that has prevented my further interest in buying... :confuse:
  • oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Posts: 6,226
    ...cars that don't sell.

As a lifetime Chrysler fan (learned to drive on a 1966 Dodge station wagon) I've been hoping they would turn it around. The trouble is, they just don't have anything out right now that I would want to own.

The 300 is now an old design, they ruined the Charger and the Viper is just too extreme. Most of their line-up is heavier, and slower than the competition. Their high-performance cars use big gas-hog engines to get them up to speed.

The last car from Chrysler that I was truly attracted too was the Crossfire but that was just an underpowered SLK.

Maybe they don't have the cash to develop better cars but if they don't do something soon, all the warranty in the world won't save them. :cry:

2009 PT Cruiser, 2008 Eclipse, 1995 Mark VIII, 1988 GMC Van

• dtownfbdtownfb Posts: 2,915
    Oldfarmer, you are absolutely right. It is about the product. Anything else is just a sales gimmick. GM has finally seen the light with the new Malibu. Ford is there with the Fusion/Milan.

I posted last year that I thought Chrysler was finished after our local auto show. They had released a bunch of new vehicles and the majority were....not very good. Couple that with dumping Chrysler on Cerebus with little in the pipeline. My personal opinion is Cerebus will begin selling some of the individual brands later this fall. There is no way they can raise enough cash to fund new engine and product development with the current models on the car lots. You can only outsource so much.
    So who will be the next owner of Jeep?
  • xhe518xhe518 Posts: 107
    I'm another one who buys cars and keeps them for the long haul, and the 'lifetime' warranty sparked my interest.

I had a 1990 Acura Integra that went 167K miles in 10 years. I still have a 1992 Acura Integra with 138K miles, a 2000 Toyota Sienna with 123K, and a 2002 Acura TL with 69K - original owner of all them.

Still, I don't think this warranty would be enough to get me to buy a T&C instead of a Sienna when the time comes. Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems to me that a "defective" engine part will fail well before 10 years, 100K miles anyway. Anything past that it's pretty nebulous whether it was a "defect" or just wear and tear.

Also, will Chrysler even be around in it's present form 8,10, 12 years from now to honor the "lifetime" warranty? If they are sold (likely) in the next 10 years, will the new owner have to honor the warranty?
    Excellent points you make, questioning the future of Chrysler. By the very nature of the holding company, Cerberus must surely intend to divest itself of Chrysler at some not totally distant point. We have two Jeep GCs in our family, an 04 and an 07. I consider Jeep to be almost peripheral to the overall situation, and assume it would be eligible for separation and sale to even some presently unknown buyer. While I have owned quite a few Plymouths, Dodges, and Chryslers, I currently own none. As It turned out, I just missed getting the lifetime warranty when I bought the 07 Jeep. Somehow, I don't really miss it!
  • tedebeartedebear Posts: 832
    Anything past that it's pretty nebulous whether it was a "defect" or just wear and tear.

You've misread the warranty. It doesn't matter if a powertrain component fails at 1,000 miles or 1,000,000 miles - if it fails for the LIFETIME of the original owner Chrysler will replace it free, no deductible.
    It seems to me from the posts above that "normal wear and tear" isn't covered.

It seems to me that if I took a 2008 T&C with 185K miles to a Chrysler dealer in the year 2020 and asked for a new engine, it would be hard to "prove" a defect versus "wear and tear" .....that's what I mean by nebulous. I'm sure the dealer is going to say "wear and tear"....

(also add in the uncertainty about Chrysler's future 12 years from now....)
    And as the old philosopher said, nothing is forever. I wonder how much warranty can be transferred by owner #1 to owner #2.
    It seems to me from the posts above that "normal wear and tear" isn't covered

If you take it to the dealer and it is still operational and ask for a new engine, of course they are not going to replace it. If a powertrain component FAILS it will be replaced for free for the LIFETIME of the vehicle to the original owner.

We are not talking about brake pads and spark plugs here - normal wear and tear items.

Read the following link for more information: http://www.chrysler.com/en/lifetime_powertrain_warranty/faq.html
  • blueiedgodblueiedgod Posts: 2,803
    I wonder how much warranty can be transferred by owner #1 to owner #2.

The Lifetime warranty is NOT TRANSFERABLE and is only applicable to the ORIGINAL OWNER.
    If you sell the car during the first three years, I'll bet there is some warranty transfer mechanism by which the 2nd owner gets X amount of warranty for Y amount of time.
    Here is what it says about the transfer of the lifetime warranty on the FAQ link I posted yesterday:

Q8: What about second owners of the vehicle?

A8: Subsequent owners or lessees, even if they are within the same family or business, are not covered. Successor business entities or persons to whom the vehicle is transferred by operation of law are also not covered. Chrysler offers extended service contracts for purchase for second owners of Chrysler, Jeep and Dodge vehicles.

Q9: Why did you choose to make this program non-transferable?

A9: Our internal research data confirmed that the transferability take rate (available on the 7-year/70,000-mile warranty program) was low. We are providing peace-of-mind to the original owner who made the investment in our Chrysler product. Our competitors, Hyundai/KIA/Mitsubishi that offer what was considered the benchmark in long-term powertrain warranty (10 years/100,000 miles), only extend it to the original owner. With the announcement of the Chrysler Lifetime Powertrain Warranty, Chrysler will be the new benchmark in long-term powertrain warranty.
    Sure you get the remainder of the 3 yr/36k basic warranty. There is no reason for Chrysler to extend the Lifetime Warranty to the 2nd owner. The person who bought the car new is the one who benefits. Sure it would be nice to transfer the warranty to the next owner but they are trying to sell new cars. This Lifetime Warranty is not about showcasing their improved quality but selling vehicles.
    I think Hyundai still has the 5 yr/60k mile powertrain available to the second owner. Either way Chrysler is committed only to the original owner; second owners beware. It makes perfect financial sense to me.
  • waterdrwaterdr Posts: 307
    And in reality, the vast majority of original owners won't keep a car beyond 100k miles anyway. Chrysler really has very little liability by oferring a program like this in my opinion.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,413
    I don't see how an owner who has a oil burning engine with 150,000 miles on it is going to prove that this isn't due to "normal wear and tear" or than worn piston rings in an engine that's gone 3/4 the way to the moon is a "defect in workmanship".

some Chrysler owners are definitely going to get snagged on this "lifetime" warranty because cars wear out "normally" and that's not a defect.

That's why Chrysler put the phrase in there. They wouldn't put it in there if they weren't going to use it.

They have no intention of warrantying worn out cars.

I don't see how an owner who has a oil burning engine with 150,000 miles on it is going to prove that this isn't due to "normal wear and tear" or than worn piston rings in an engine that's gone 3/4 the way to the moon is a "defect in workmanship".

some Chrysler owners are definitely going to get snagged on this "lifetime" warranty because cars wear out "normally" and that's not a defect.

That's why Chrysler put the phrase in there. They wouldn't put it in there if they weren't going to use it.

They have no intention of warrantying worn out cars.

Exactly - I really find it extremely hard to believe that if I buy a 2008 Chrysler and take it back to the dealer in 2020 with 150K miles and it's burning oil, they are going to give me a new engine. The dealer's service manager is going to say "wear and tear"... (and it probably is legitimately wear and tear at that point)

Also, I still say, a truly "defective" part is going to break well before 100K miles anyway, otherwise it's probably not 'defective'.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,413
    Oh absolutely it's "wear and tear". An engine with 150K on it owes you nothing at that point.

You guys can keep talking this wear and tear thing all you want. If the engine is still operational don't expect a free replacement. If it has stopped working then you have grounds for a lifetime warranty claim, provided you're the original owner.

Lifetime Warranty FAQ
This discussion has been closed.