Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2008 Hyundai Elantra

1111213141517»

Comments

• Around here, 100% gasoline (0% ethanol) is 87 octane. 90% gasoline with 10% ethanol is 89 octane.

However a 10% ethanol mix actually gives you 6%-8% lower MPG, at least that is what I have experienced over the last 7 months that I have owned my 08 Elantra.

On another note, the weather suddenly dropped from 35 degree highs to 15 degree highs, and this latest tank of gas, which unfortunately has 10% ethanol, my MPG in town has plummeted to 21.5 MPG. This summer (80-90 degree days) and fall (40-70 degrees) I was able to keep in-town MPG at 25 with 90% and 27 with 100%

I am driving the same exact roads at the same time and there is not snow/ice yet causing additional stopping/change in driving habits, but I am concerned the cold alone has significantly seemed to have dropped MPG this much. (No, I am not letting it idle after startup for any longer than usual, that will start once the temps drop below 10.)

Car milage is only 3800 after 7 months.
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,769
    Did you notice different behavior re fuel economy with other cars you've owned, i.e. didn't you notice a drop in FE with cold weather with them?

Have you adjusted the pressure in the tires for the colder weather? It drops about 1 psi per 10 degrees of temperature. If you haven't adjusted it since last summer, the tires could be underinflated by several psi now.

Keep in mind that the colder the weather, the more energy has to go to heating up the engine when it's cold. That has nothing to do with snow/ice or a change in driving habits.

As you noted, on the latest tank of gas it's 10% ethanol. That will bring down FE around 10% by itself compared to non-ethanol gas. FWIW, in my town we have 10% ethanol in all grades of gas, even the 87 octane stuff.
  • Hi,
    I have an I have a new 08 Elantra (purchased in summer) and I noticed that it takes about 7 or 8 minutes of driving this winter to get the temp gauge to the ideal range. Whereas my other vehicles are literally twice as fast at warming up. Should I be concerned? Also I would like to add I never let the car sit and idle to warm up, I usually start it and let it sit for about 30 seconds in the garage then drive, also I live in KY. Thanks!
  • riguyriguy Posts: 5
    Many of you may have experienced this problem. If you use the key fob to unlock the doors on your 2008 Elantra, and you don't manually open one of the doors within 30 seconds, all of the doors re-lock. Kind of annoying - so I asked the dealer if there is a software fix/change, and they don't know of any.

Anyone experience this with their Elantra and/or know of any fixes to the problem?

thanks,
    RI Guy
  • bhmr59bhmr59 Posts: 1,598
    The relocking of the doors after 30 seconds is not a problem. It is a design feature of the car and it also re-arms the alarm.

My '05 Sonata has this feature and it is explained in the owners' manual.
  • "Many of you may have experienced this problem. If you use the key fob to unlock the doors on your 2008 Elantra, and you don't manually open one of the doors within 30 seconds, all of the doors re-lock. Kind of annoying -"

The same thing happens with my 2008 Elantra with the remote key. If I open it while walking towards the car it relocks on me before I get to it. :shades:
    I just got a '05 Jetta today and I see that it has the 30-seconds re-locking feature also. IMO this is a nice security feature; e.g. it is possible to accidently press the unlock button on a remote, and should that happen (say, as you are walking away from your car in a parking lot), the car will automatically re-lock.
  • stephen987stephen987 Posts: 1,994
    Both of our Hondas do the same thing. Perhaps you might try not pushing the button till you're within 30 seconds of getting in?
    Yes, I have done that since I got my first Elantra in 2000. :)

The other thing I thought (for a couple of seconds) was a big omission on that car and other Elantras was the lack of a chime to remind me to turn off the headlights. "How stupid of Hyundai!" I thought. Then I realized the lights turned off by themselves. :blush:
  • zhetonzheton Posts: 5
    Unfortunately I am not able to get 40 mpg highway anymore. My last highway mpg was only 21. I was driving with cruise control and expected usual high mileage as I used to get. I went to my dealer and described the problem. Their courtesy response was "There is nothing we can do until car has at least 10000 miles on it, it is still breaking in". So I called Hyundai consumer affairs line, got the case number and made an appointment to see another dealer in my area. I feel like this has something to do with recent fuel pump replacement. It does not feel like faulty oxygen sensor, car does not loose power and starts perfectly well. Hopefully the service department can run some diagnostic test to figure out what is going on with the car.
  • Has your mileage problem been resolved? I'm experiencing the same type problem since the recall. The repair shop says tests show nothing wrong.
  • I went to see another dealer in my area. I left the car overnight with them and when I came to get the car I was told that first dealer did not even replace fuel pump, though they charged Hyundai for replacement. So second dealer put a new fuel pump on my car and filed compliant with Hyundai. Since then car gets normal highway mileage approximately 35 MPG. City mileage stays the same 17-18 MPG but I drive short distances in the city and it is cold, it takes some time to warm up the vehicle.
  • I too have mileage significantly since fuel pump replaced in my 08. I went to show it to dealer and he explained that its due to weather. I don't think it should affect this much.
  • hutch7hutch7 Posts: 88
    Traded it for a Honda!
  • " I went to see another dealer in my area. I left the car overnight with them and when I came to get the car I was told that first dealer did not even replace fuel pump, though they charged Hyundai for replacement."

I find this very interesting due to the fact when my husband's car shut off down in NJ and there was a 3 car pile up avoiding him on the shoulder. When our dealer had his car waiting for a fuel pump they said it could be up to another 30 days to get the fuel pump. I reminded them that if the car was out of service for 21 days before the car was a month old then they needed to replace the car with another one. Well, the next day his car was ready and he got a bill that they billed Hyundai for the repair job. Now it gets better. I got the recall notice a week before my first oil change. Since we bought our cars the same date I took my car on a friday...they gave me a free oil change and changed my fuel pump. Then the next day my hubby took his car in for his free oil change. Now he just left the bill in his car on the back seat as he didn't have to pay anything. Well, last week he gathered up some papers and brought in the bill and it showed AGAIN a job done on a replacement fuel pump. And he gets over 40 mpg since that first oil change. Makes me think when I told them that they would have to give him a new car they took a fuel pump out of a car up for sale in the lot and changed his fuel pump just to give him the car back. And I say it was the Service Manager who said do it.

And some of you may remember my husband having the 2 cars/18 wheeler crash around him back last year when his fuel pump went. WE now have 3 lawsuits against US!!!!!

Backy.. long time no see...I have been laid up with a broken kneecap and not able to sit at the computer desk. So a question for you.

Have you ever heard of getting your car washed at a car wash and when you open the car doors they are soppiing wet inside? I took my Elantra to the car wash and was shocked as this never happened with my Toyota truck. I am just wondering if I am the only one to have this happen to. All 4 doors get wet inside.
    Not sure what you mean by "wet inside". Do you mean the interior panels get wet? Or just the door jambs (which happens all the time with my cars)?
  • When I took it to the car wash and I happened to go to one where you stay in your car, when I got out the bottom parts of all the doors were wet inside. Almost like the water shot up under the doors. Also the car was wet inside the outside of the frame too just before the rubber sealing started. Like the little ledge there where the door frame meets the frame of the car.
    As long as the water was outside the rubber gaskets, I don't see the problem. This happens all the time when I take my cars to a high-pressure car wash, and even when I use a hose on my driveway.

Next time you go through the car wash, look at where the water jets are. In the wash I use most often, there's a high-pressure jet that aims on the lower part of the car, right where the bottom door edge is. I can see how water would get under the doors! And I am glad for that because where I live, there's a lot of road salt in the winter and salt can accumulate on the bottoms of the doors.
  • Thanks. I was just afraid I didn't have a proper seal around the door and didn't want the car rusting sooner then it normally would.
    Another reason to wax the inside painted edges of the doors and the door jambs when you wax the car. ;)
  • joe242joe242 Posts: 1
    Our car was purchased new in August 08 and we were very happy with the ride, handling and safety features. Unfortunately, in January 09 we experienced a stalling problem that was to be repeated in May 09. Both times the stalling happened when we were within 1 mile of our starting point of the first drive of the day when the temps were in the 50s or 60s. Both times as I slowed for a stop sign with my foot off the accelerator, the car stuttered and jerked to a stop with the car in drive.

In January when this happened, I was able to restart the car and went to the nearby Hyundai dealer. There they told me that if the check engine light was not on or the car was not currently experiencing the problem there was nothing they could do. However, they suggested that the problem could be related to contaminants in the fuel and recommended a “dry gas” additive. I followed their recommendation and did not experience the problem again until May. This time the event was more serious in that I had difficulty keeping the car running in drive; it would run in park and neutral. The car was towed to the local dealer where they checked the fuel pump and pulled the gas tank to ensure there were no contaminants causing this problem. They had the car for 3 days, trying various things. The bottom line is that they found nothing wrong and, therefore, corrected nothing. When I asked about the recall for the fuel pump, they told me that had to do with cars made before mine.

Now we are concerned every time we take the car out something bad is going to happen. Hyundai Motors USA is offering no solution, unless the next time it happens that the problem remains when the car is towed to the dealer, so that it can be diagnosed and fixed.
  • Today, after my '08 Elantra has been in the Service Department for three days, I continue to receive a free rental car from my Hyundai dealership while they try to diagnose "clunks/thunks/bangs" in the rear passenger area of my 2008 Elantra. Love the car, - VERY concerned about the loud "clunks" in the rear of the vehicle. Seems to happen when the gas tank is full to half empty when accelerating from stop, turning right, going over speed bumps, even driving over bumps on the Interstate. Dealership has heard the noise, - confirms the issue, but cannnot find the source. Anyone else having this problem? They have been GREAT! But I hate the '09 Camry rental that I am driving 'till I get my Elantra back. ANYONE ELSE having this issue?
  • justloujustlou Posts: 24
    I just had the exact same issue on my 2009 Touring. Sounded like the rear end would come off if I hit a bump. It was diagnosed and fixed quickly though. Turns out a nut fell off the rear stabilizer bar.
  • And the winner is,.... Thanks, I believe you nailed it! I called the Service Dept. on Saturday morning and they said they had completly disassembled, inspected, and rebuilt the suspension systems in the back of the car. They heard no more noises, - and more importantly, neither have I. I mentioned the stabilizer bar, and they said that could very well have been it. Throughout this whole ordeal the dealership has listened to me, been patient, proveded a free rental, and been in regular contact with me, - including checking out any responses I have received from Hyundai forums. I cannot say more. I am already a repeat customer and intend to remain one. Thanks again.
  • justloujustlou Posts: 24
    I'm glad you have it resolved, even though it took awhile. Luckily with mine, they diagnosed it quickly. My car only had 2k miles on it when it happened, and I was worried it was something serious.
  • elantra08elantra08 Posts: 15
    I was wondering if anyone else has had a problem with swealing power windows. It only happens basically once the glass window is along the rubber guard when rolling up and letting go of the button. I have had both driver and passenger power window buttons(on driver side) have this happen. Dealer replaced the power motors once, then it stoped. Now its just the driver power window button that is doing it. Tech said that there are "many complaints with this and there is nothing that they can do about it and that is how they are made to work."

Does anyone have any solutions reguarding this problem?
  • In reference to my husband's Elantra breaking down and the 2 car / 18 wheeler accident trying to avoid him. WE GOT SUED!!!! But Allstate sued Hyundai and last week my husband had to sign paperwork he would not sue Hyundai for himself. Needless to say since my car was not involved even though it had a bad fuel pump I didn't have to sign anything. But Hyundai paid this guy $1500 for whiplash. Our insurance will not go up as Allstate proved it was not our fault but hubby had to sign he would not even join a class action lawsuit if ever there was one.
  • mjoshimjoshi Posts: 34
    I've 2008 Hyundai Elantra and approaching 90,000 miles. I want to know if I need to change timinig belt and what is average cost of timing belt change on 2008 Hyundai elantra ? I'm in Upstate, NY area.
  • I would have it checked out before you change it. I had a Toyota Tacoma with 125,000 miles before the belt needed to be changed. I do know there is a belt problem with the AC on mine. I have taken it to the Dealer 3 times already for the AC. I have a 2008 Elantra PZEV. With the special emissions. I found out today when I went for inspection (NY) that there are 3 belts altogether. I only have 22,000 miles on my car. Did you get the safety recall letter about the stick shift/cruise control/brakes? They told me at Valvoline that the Elantra has a lot of transmission problems too. In fact it was Valvoline who when I had an oil change told me I had to replace the belt on my Toyota. My Elantra has had the cruise control problem since I bought it and every time I went to the dealer and complained they said they could not duplicate the problem. Now after 5 yrs this safety notice shows up.