Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2008 Hyundai Elantra

Comments

• nthenthe Posts: 414
    the 04-06 models with a sunroof will have ABS (it was packaged together).
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,720
    Yes, for 05-06 at least. Not sure about 04--I think ABS was still available separately then? What about in Canada--aren't the trims different there?
  • I see the 2007 and 2008 specs mention "door courtesy reflectors". I don't recall seeing anything that sounds like that on the Elantras I looked at at the dealer. What are these?
  • We have a 2004 elantra GT (5-speed) and could only get ABS if we took the sunroof, which we did.

Niels
  • I am really looking forward to getting one of these. Does anyone know when these will hit the dealer. All I can find are GLS.
  • The thread I started was in reference to the 08 SE. There was no reason to move it.
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    I'm sorry, but we can't support separate discussions for every model and trim level. All of the Elantra folks will see your post here and if they can help, I assure you that they will. You'll find that a post is more likely to be seen if you place it in a discussion where folks are already reading and posting rather than just having it hang out by itself.

Again, welcome - we're very glad to have you as a new member. Feel free to email me if I can help you find any of our resources or with anything at all.
    Some dealers already have SEs. Have you asked the dealers near you when they expect to get some in? They should know what will be coming in the near future. They could also do a search for you around the region to find SEs at other dealers.
  • Anyone have any thoughts on potential rebates or incentives on the 08 Elantras?
  • I just noticed that there are no courtesy lights (not the dome, but on the door) coming on when I open my driver and passenger doors. There are red reflectors at the bottom of the doors. Are they suppose to light up? They do on my Santa Fe.
  • Two part question... Is there anyway to replace the rear turnsignals with amber ones (like on www.hyundai.com.au - australian) and is there a way to easily hook up rear fog lights within the 2008 Elantras?

We now have two of them! They're really great cars!!! :confuse:
  • These are the "door courtesy reflectors" mentioned earlier. I was wondering the same but now we know. They are simply reflectors. Kind of strange the SE with option packages doesn't even have lights on the door and electric seats. Heck, even my Ex's '92 Taurus has power seats!
  • CR released their "Top Picks" list today and the Elantra Se made it along with the Santa Fe! ;)

Elantra named a CR "Top Pick"
  • I am also very very happy to see this report although I knew the new elantra was going to get good marks. It even says as far as a 5 year cost & ownership is not higher than its rivals-Ye-Haw! for the elantra se 08'. I am definitly moving a little quicker to get my baby.
  • moparbadmoparbad Posts: 3,842
    When will the Touring be available?
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Posts: 2,697
    Resale value may be an issue with the Elantra.
    Resale value remains to be seen and the depreciation cost could cause the total cost of ownership to skyrocket when you are ready to move on to your next vehicle.
    Good press like the CR "Top Pick" award can't help but do good things for Elantra's resale value.

Considering the Elantra is available for thousands less than competitors that have higher resale value percentage wise, the financial picture is not as gloomy as you paint it, IMO and IME.
    Something that was not clear to me until I read the April Auto Issue today is that not only did the Elantra SE take the Top Pick for small cars, it's also now tied with the Civic EX MT at the very top of the "Sedans under $20,000" category in CR's rankings, with 82 points each, and in fact is the highest-rated car under $20k with an AT. Overall it's the 2nd-highest ranked Hyundai by CR, with the Azera besting it by 1 point. It tops even the Sonata and Santa Fe in CR's scoring. So quite a showing by the Elantra SE.

I recall noting when CR's review of the Elantra GLS came out that they seemed to dislike some things that the SE would have taken care of, e.g. lack of a telescopic steering wheel and lack of agility. They gave the GLS a score of 70. They seem to like the SE better, with its bigger wheels/tires and telescopic steering wheel, and ESC. They must have tested the SE recently but not yet published the test report. Maybe they will when they report on the new Corolla et. al.

The only criticism CR has for the Elantra SE is "steering feel." I wonder what they'll think of the Elantra Touring, which has a sport-tuned steering and suspension?
  • standepuystandepuy Posts: 23
    L_S_ is only for the GLS. It looks that way in the brochure.
    I'd like to get the se, but don't want the other colors. :P
    I went to a very large stand alone Hyundai dealer. However, only 2 out of approximately 50 Elantras were SE models.
    Looks like the SEs are a little hard to get.
    I test drove one after driving a 2009 Corolla LE and I found the Elantra roomier and more comfortable.
    The Elantra was quiet cruising along, but the engine was very loud when accelerating. Still needs more sound insulation. The 2009 Corolla was pretty quiet even at high RPM, but I think it may have been a little too small for me.
    I noticed a few features on the Elantra that the Corolla LE didn't have, like sun visor extensions, XM and rear seat center armrest.
    The Corolla had fully automatic headlights (that turn on automatically at dark) and automatic door locks.

Not totally satisfied with either car at this point and I may look at Sonatas, Camrys and Accords later or find a Corolla XLE to see if I can adjust the seat to find a more comfortable driving position.
    If the engine noise when accelerating (was this hard acceleration, e.g. on a freeway entrance ramp?) is the main issue with the Elantra, maybe consider how much time each day you'll spend doing that, w/o the stereo on or windows/moonroof open.

Looking at a Sonata or a used Camry or Accord might be a good bet. You can snatch a nicely-equipped 2008 Sonata GLS now for around $6000 off MSRP, depending on the deals offered in your area. That would put it around $14.5k or so before T&L. It would certainly cost less than a Corolla XLE, and maybe less than the Elantra SE.
    I need to have an aux input for mp3 players and I don't think you can get that on a 2008 Sonata.
    I haven't even seen aftermarket iPod or aux kits for the 2008 Sonata other than awkward FM modulators.
    The 2009 Sonata is so much nicer than the 2008s because of the new interior and the 5-speed automatic that gets a couple extra mpgs,
    The Toyotas and Hondas cost more to buy new, but you may get all the extra money back and more at resale if you aren't planning to keep it for 10 or more years.
    I will probably trade the car within 5 -6 years, so resale will be an issue.
    I would lease and trade every 3 years, but I'm not sure how many miles I will average in the next 3 years, so a lease is risky.
    But resale didn't keep you from driving the Elantra SE, did it? :confuse: I am puzzled as to why you would even give a moment's thought to buying a car like an Elantra, given your opinion about resale value.

I owned one Elantra for 5-1/2 years and own another now (4 years). So far I've come out just fine on resale value/depreciation on both cars.

The huge savings on the 2008 Sonata would help pay for an aftermarket head unit with all the inputs you could want, and the extra gas that the 4-speed AT takes compared to the 5-speed. I never found the 2006-8 Sonata's interior all that bad, but the 2009's is certainly nicer.

But it looks like a Toyota or Honda is a better choice for you, given your opinion on resale value--if you can find one that you like. I'm not sure that's possible. ;)
  • jsnapjsnap Posts: 4
    I am looking at buying an '08 SE and am very interested in the PZEV model. We would have to get one in Calif tho as none to be had in Colorado. However, I'm concerned about something one broker I spoke to said (he's an independent broker so not tied to any brand or dealership). Anyway, he had heard about issues with the PZEV motor not performing well in high altitude conditions.
    I can't find anything about this anywhere on the web. He claimed it was an inside service bulletin that isn't available to the general public. So, when I have questions such as these, I find forums can be helpful.

Is this true?
  • bhmr59bhmr59 Posts: 1,598
    Actually, from what I've seen, resale value is not much of an issue after 5 or 6 years. It doesn't take 10 years for the prices to faltten out.

Remember, compare price actually paid to the resale or trade-in value plus the value of not paying more up front (or in financing costs) when analyzing how much of an issue resale or trade-in value will be.
    Do the headlights turn on automatically at night or when you drive into a dark tunnel?
    Can the door locks be programmed to automatically lock when you put the car in Drive or reach a certain speed?

I noticed the 2009 Toyota Corolla has both these features, so I wonder if the Elantra matches it.
    I don't think the Elantra has auto-on-in-the-dark headlights, but I think it has auto door locks available. I base that last comment on a picture I saw many months ago of a diagnostics readout for the 2007 Elantra, which showed settings for auto door locks. If they are there, it's likely they are not turned on from the factory. That is how the Sonata's auto locks come--the dealer has to turn them on and configure them. A quick call to the service department of your local Hyundai dealer should confirm it.
  • dovid2dovid2 Posts: 90
    I was rather surprised to see in looking through the Atlanta paper's web site that there are a couple of local dealers offering Elantra SE's for an amount just north of $21,000.00. Obviously there are major dealer add-ons, but I hate to see this sort of inflation on an affordable car. Those prices are running it up into the Sonata / Optima range.
    I wonder what they charge for Sonatas!

Isn't there much competition amongst the Hyundai dealers in Atlanta?