Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2008 Hyundai Elantra

Comments

• Nope, my car was made on Feb 13, 2008.

You know, I feel the same way. The cruise control I think would be electrical considering the lights came on too when I was in park.

They told me they couldn't find any error codes relating to the cruise control or why it did what it did.

But I feel the difference now with the new fuel pump. We have a mountain where I live and you have it on both sides. This is the place where I was losing power the last 2 weeks. Well, I flew over that mountain last night going home. And since I drove hubby's car for the week I could feel the difference driving.

So, maybe Backy can tell us about the electrical stuff. Is the cruise control an electrical component or would it be part of the fuel pump which we know is electrical too. :confuse:
  • I confirm with my dealer here in Toronto last friday and they book me for replacement on Thursday, Just leting know to every one in Canada. I was reading everywhere about this recall but no one confirmed that its in canada or not..

-Satyam
  • Since I got the factory manual of this vehicle, I checked the electrical diagram of the fuel pump in relation to your concerns. It seems that they (the dealer) may be correct about the fuel pump as the main cause. Why? Because the fuel sender output at the fuel pump is tied/connected to the cruise control "set" input, the TCM (transmission control module) and a micro computer at the instrument cluster/indicator. If the fuel sender did short out with the fuel pump electrical, it would certainly mess up the the micro-computer at the instrument cluster/indicator that could cause all kinds of problems on the indicator and the cruise control.
  • sounds logical to me ... thanks. One less concern now for me. I don't know much about the inside of the engine except where to put in windshield washer fluid, check transmission fluid and keep an eye on my radiator coolant level. I will never forget the $500 blown fuse job a dealer got out of me even towing my truck to them as the saleman never told me my Toyota truck had a safety control that if the back light fuses went and there were no brake lights, the steering column would lock and you would not be able to drive/start the vehicle. And the dealer suckered me on that one. Now I carry fuses with me all the time. Lesson learned the hard way.
    thanks again.
  • My husband and I have been searching all over for covers for our Elantra's especially since he spilled soda in his one front seat.

We finally found a custom website. I tried to copy the link but it won't drop into my message so if you go to:

www.seatcovers.net

and then search for your vehicle you will come up with all the seat covers they make.

They know there is a 60/40 back seat and they charge for 2 headrests and give you the third one free. They also make the front seats with the side opening to open for airbag deployent and also put back packets on the back too of the bucket seats to make up for covering the ones already there.

They say it takes 2 weeks to get them as they are custom made since the 2008 universal ones are not available from Hyundai or in stores yet.

They even have a space to track the order number and it comes by UPS.

Just passing on some info for any Elantra owners. I see they also sell other items too.
    ;)
  • My husband and I have been searching all over for covers for our Elantra's especially since he spilled soda in his one front seat.

We finally found a custom website. I tried to copy the link but it won't drop into my message so if you go to:

www.seatcovers.net

and then search for your vehicle you will come up with all the seat covers they make.

They know there is a 60/40 back seat and they charge for 2 headrests and give you the third one free. They also make the front seats with the side opening to open for airbag deployent and also put back packets on the back too of the bucket seats to make up for covering the ones already there.

They say it takes 2 weeks to get them as they are custom made since the 2008 universal ones are not available from Hyundai or in stores yet.

They even have a space to track the order number and it comes by UPS.

Just passing on some info for any Elantra owners. I see they also sell other items too.
    ;)
  • I know that there is a separate category for pricing, but after reading some of these posts, I had to reply with my pricing experience.

My Elantra listed (MSRP) for about $17.2K including destination charges. After the $2K rebate, that brought the price to $15.2K. Knowing that the "dealer cost" was about $14.6K, I offered $100 above their cost and emphasized the fact that there is a 2% hold back. I ended up paying $14.8K with 3 free oil changes. I started negotiations at $14.7K, 5 oil changes, and a FREE extended warranty. By giving them a lot of demands, they had to withdraw them one at a time (knowing that the free extended warranty was just a dream on my part) and settled on my above stated price.

Never negotiate for a single item, such as a vehicle w/o any other options/extras; always include at least 3-4 items in your offer and make THEM withdraw them. If you want an extended warranty, include that in your initial offer. Never buy it after you have agreed on a price. Think of negotiations as a circle with pebbles inside the circle. Always include "many pebbles" in the circle and have the dealer trade/withdraw each pebble, knowing that most of these pebbles are not obtainable for the price you offered. You will eventually get them to agree on the single "pebble" for the price you want.
  • ez888ez888 Posts: 39
    i like the advice about many pebbles to negotiate. i wish i would have done that when i bought my elantra a few months ago. even though i got a really good deal, it wouldn't have hurt to get some oil changes, other accessories, etc.
  • I bought my 2008 Hyundai Elantra SE in June and although I've been taking immaculate care of it (more so than any other care I've owned), I was shocked to discover it has, somehow become scratched on the interior passenger side panel. Anyone else have this problem or know how I could go about fixing it? Thanks in advance!
  • I have a 2000 Elantra with 98,000 miles on it. I also have a 2000 Taurus with 92,000 miles. We've owned both cars since they were new. The Elantra is much more solid feeling at this point, and has given me these problems: drivers side power window motor at around 40,000 miles - covered by warranty. That's it for the Elantra. The Taurus: AC fixed twice, not working now. Starter at 88,000 miles. Oxygen sensor at around 80,000 miles.

In my opinion, both cars have given me good service, but my point is, Hyundai was building pretty darn good cars in 2000. I will not hesitate to buy another
  • I just had someone hit me car, causing scratches and other marks on the drivers side, the local Hyundai dealership told me to go to an auto body place, where I got an estimate of around 1500$, does the warranty not cover paint and other things, as it is a 2008 Elantra that I've only had since middle of July. If anyone has any suggestions it would be greatly appreciated. It is only cosmetic work, other then that everything is fine, an I did not find out who the person that hit my car was as it was at a grocery store at night an no one saw who did it.
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,622
    The factory warranty covers defects in paint, not damage due to a collision. That is what insurance is for.
  • I just bought a new Elantra 2008 L automatic, seems like it doesn't have a coasting mode, whenever I release the gas pedal, the cars slows down slowly and steadily,just like I press a bit of braking (kind of engine braking?). It is quite different from my old 1998 Elantra. So I have to press the gas more to keep the car moving at the same speed. Can any other owners tell me this is a problem or not?

Thanks a lot.
  • I would call up Hyundai (the main number) and tell them this. They will write up a case and give you a case number and then tell you to have it checked out as you have a yr for adjustments. I am having a clicking noise in my drivers side door. Hubby thinks its the mechanism for the locks. It just started. I am also hearing a noise in the back on the drivers side near the back door. It started after they fuel pump was changed. I have an appt. to have this checked out in a week. Anyone else having the same clicking noise like me? And my emergency brake is not keeping the car from rolling.
    The car should slow down slowly and steadily when you take your foot off the gas, unless you are going downhill. But compared to your 1998 Elantra, the 2008 has more power and reduced friction in the engine, plus a more efficient AT, so it should not require more pedal pressure to keep it moving than your old car. A couple of things to check: 1) tire pressure (if too low, that could cause the car to slow faster than normal); 2) make sure the emergency brake is not partially engaged (although the brake light should be on in that case). Also try letting the car coast in neutral on level ground (when it's safe to do so of course) and see how it coasts. That could tell you whether the drag is in fact in the brakes or someplace else.
  • stephen987stephen987 Posts: 1,994
    If this car has the same shifter as the US market Elantra, it's fairly easy to accidentally stick the thing into third gear instead of Drive. This would make the engine feel like it's revving harder, and would produce noticeable engine braking.

For what it's worth, top gear in the Elantra should give you very low rpm and very low engine noise levels. Canadian Driver reported 2200 rpm at 100 km/h with the automatic.
  • Try tapping on the accelerator pedal. It just takes a slight tap, and the transmission sort of kicks into "coast". This is a common situation in a lot of the newer transmissions in vehicles today. It is not a "problem that needs fixing".
    See if it works for you..

Van
  • Thanks, guys. More to supplement:
    1. Tire pressure is good. But it is brand new winter tire, is this causing more friction?
    2. The transmission is shift to Drive and hand brake in completely down.
    3. The rpm is low, most of the time it is below 1500. I only drove 120km, seems like MPG is not bad.
    4. It is like that especially at low speed(e.g. 40 km/h), the car seems want to stop unless I keep pressing the gas a bit hard.
    5. no other problems found. Seems like I also heard a click sound sometimes and it seems perfectly normal.
    See the previous post. You are close to lugging the engine at below 1500 rpms. Although when the car is coasting, it should be considerably below 1500 rpms.

Winter tires could definitely cause more friction than the OEM all-season tires.

Why would you expect the car to NOT slow down when driving in gear at about 40 km/h? But on level ground, it should take only light pressure on the gas pedal to keep the car moving forward. If you press it hard, i.e. floor it, it should take off pretty quickly.

If you are concerned, have the dealer check it out. While there, ask to drive a different 2008 or 2009 Elantra to see if it drives the same. Have a service tech go with you so they can observe how you drive the car. If that car drives the same as your car, it's likely that is just the way the car drives.
  • I have had a clicking problem as well...it sounded like it was coming from the steering wheel...I've had my '08 Elantra since June and heard the clicking for the first time a coupe days ago...just had an appointment for an oil change and routine stuff but they found nothing wrong...I'm also experiencing a transmission issue...When I am driving and it comes time for the car to shift gears (it's an automatic) it feels like I'm driving a standard...I have to either step on the gas more to force it or let off the gas and then accelerate again to make the grinding noise stop...Has anyone else experienced this while driving? The service techs said there was no problem with the transmission but I know how an automatic is supposed to drive and I'm worried there's something wrong with it and they just don't know how to fix it or something...