Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda Protege/Protege5 Tires and Wheels

Comments

• Hey folks, I have a 2002 Protege 5 with 122,000 k's on it. Has anyone had problems changing summer to winter tires?? I always have to hammer like mad to get the summer or winter tires off. Tried using grease of several types. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thx, Ron
  • moparbadmoparbad Posts: 3,842
    Check with LKQ www.lkqcorp.com for used wheels.
    TireRack has new alloy wheels for $81 each and other vendors should have similar offers.

Used wheels are about $65 each in my quick check of prices so I'd recommend buying a set of brand new alloys.
  • iamziamz Posts: 542
    Seems that most people use some form of anti-seize on the mating surfaces. Don't use it on the studs though. Check your local auto parts store.
  • autonomousautonomous Posts: 1,769
    use some form of anti-seize on the mating surfaces. Don't use it on the studs
    Exactly!
  • Hi everyone ,my story is i have a P5 and i need a rim because last winter i hit a pot hole on hiway going @ least 100km,it was a big hole .front end had a big thud , a few days later tire pressure went down ,took to garage and saw the bent rim ,i need a repalcement ,checked CA Tire and they have steel rims for 50+ dollars.But i need an aluminum that matches any suggestions Thanks
  • also can the rim be fixed ,mechanic said bcause its aluminum cant be repaired Thanks
  • sorry if i posted in wrong place I'm new to the forum Thanks
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    You are in the right place, welcome! While waiting for a response, you might want to look through the previous posts here to see if there is anything that may be useful to you.

Hope we can help!
    there should be plenty of crashed P5's by now in salvage yards. Call and see if they have one. I wouldn't try repairing an aluminum wheel.
  • Thanks for reply guys and the help i'll try the scrap yard first , have good day
  • taystays Posts: 1
    i have a mazda p5 which has a tire size P195/50R16 would i have any problems moving up to a P195/55R16?
    P195/50R16 would i have any problems moving up to a P195/55R16
    Likely not. I switched to 205/50R16 V-rated without a problem.
  • Need to replace tires. Current on car is Kuhmo 205/50Z/R16. Door sticker is P195/50/R16. Which should I be using? I bought car a year ago for my teenage daughter, who does not need the performance. I have feeling the wheels were upgraded, but will the P195 be the safer choice?

Steve
    Current on car is Kuhmo 205/50Z/R16. Door sticker is P195/50/R16.

Going with the standard 195/50/16 V rated tires could be cheaper and is also what the manufacturer recommended for that model. It used to be difficult finding this size so you may want to check the driver's manual for other options (including 15 inch tires) that Mazda recommends but this would mean not only replacing the tires but also the wheels, which could be pricy. By the way, V and Z rated tires are considered performance tires, so they tend to wear quickly; get ready to replace them after a few years.

I have been driving on 205/50/16 V rated Bridgestone Traction T/A and find them very good tires.
    I have been driving on my BFG WInter Slalom tires for the last 8 winters and was planning to replace them at the end of this year. The Winter Slaloms are inexpensive have served me well (they look new after all this time) but I would be interested in hearing other suggestions.
    I ran Hankook Winter ipike for the last couple of winters. They were about $85 I think. They work well and look pretty good still. I'll be keeping them when I sell my P5 and use them on my next car.

If you got a good 8 winters out of your current tires, and have no complaints, I'd stick with your BFG's.
    Hankook Winter ipike
    Thanks! I'll check them out.
  • oldman15oldman15 Posts: 43
    Has anyone used Hankook W300's?
    If so, are they worthwhile in deeper snow?
    I'm not familiar with that tire but I would check Tire rack to see how people rated it. I by from Discount Tire though because of their location near me.
    edited March 2010
    The Hankook ipike winter tires are very affordable even compared to my reasonably priced BFG Winter Slalom tires on which my P5 currently rides. Thanks Terry for the tip!