Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Buick Enclave Transmission Questions

Comments

• gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,003
    deerhunter2405,

I apologize for the problems you are experiencing with your vehicle. Were you planning on having the vehicle diagnosed at a GM dealership? Please keep me posted.

Thank you,
    Caron, GM Customer Service
  • I dropped it off at Capital Chevrolet in Austin, Texas. Couldn't make it any further on my way back home from south Texas, Tuesday Sept 6th. It got to the point where it wouldn't shift anymore as I limped into south Austin. Buick dealership is on the north side of town. It is my understanding that the vehicle has a 100,000 mile warranty on the drive train and I also purchased an extend warranty when I purchased it in 2008. John Cummings, Service Rep at Capital Chevrolet, said there was some kind of mechanical defect that resulted in this failure. They have had it since Tuesday of last week and it was suppose to have been fixed today but I never got a call.

My major concern now is why has it been overheating? I first experienced the overheating in the late summer of 2009 when pulling my trailer. If I continued to use the A/C the needle on the temperature gauge would slowly creep up to two lines above "normal" position (middle of gauge). Did not experience overheating last summer because I did not pull the trailer as much as I did in 2008 and 2009.

Any suggestions as to the cause of the overheating? Any solutions? :confuse:

Thanks

deerhunter2405
    deerhunter2405,

Unfortunately, I am unable to diagnose the vehicle as to why it may be overheating. Have you heard anything more from the dealership? Have you been in contact with GM Customer Assistance via telephone? Please keep me posted.

Thank you,
  • My wife just experienced a sudden transmission problem where engine was revving but no connection to drive train. Car was towed to dealership. There was no warning. Car has been fine until this sudden failure. Is there a known transmission problem? Any recalls?
    evanob,

I apologize for the problems you are experiencing with your vehicle. Glad to hear the vehicle is at the dealership. Please keep us posted on any information from the dealership.

Thank you,
  • We just encountered (Thursday 9/29) an issue where the vehicle suddenly lost power and would not travel over a very slow speed. Immediately drove to the dealer and left it for diagnosis. We were told the next day that we most likely would need a new transmission. This is a 2008 with approx 60k miles on it. We've not heard any resolution yet, but I was disheartened that my one US made vehicle encountered a serious problem like this. Is there a transmission issue with the earlier vehicles? I am assuming until I hear otherwise that this is a warranty issue. It has not been used to haul or trailer anything. In the interim we are in a small rental car that does not fit the needs of transporting kids in sports teams. Any insight? Thanks!
  • dianejdianej Posts: 10
    I had a major issue that sounds similar at 105,000 mi. The transmission wouldn't shift out of first gear. Even though I was out of transmission warranty by 5K, my dealer got GM to cover the cost of repair, which was over $1000. I paid $100. The way I look at it, I got a transmission overhaul for (virtually) free at 100,000. I have had a significant number of repair issues (seat, front hubs, rotors, tranny). I'm on my third windshield. I still have affection for the comfort and relative value I get out of the car when it is not in the shop, however.
  • zman3zman3 Posts: 857
    Based on various internet discussions there seems to be an issue with some of the earlier transmissions (08, early 09?) with a part called a wave plate not being properly heat treated, leading to a brittle part. It sounds like that is the issue you are having. I am under the impression that if the part is manufactured properly there is not an issue, but I am not certain of that.
  • Thank you Zman3. We've still not heard from the dealer - so I'll ask them about this when we connect. Much appreciated.
  • 55K 2008 Enclave CXL AWD. Transmission was failing to shift out of 4th gear on long trips (around town it was fine). This past weekend on a long trip it got the DIC warning of transmission fluid hot. Check engine light also came on. Dealer is replacing transmission now as I send this. Warranty.
    rocdriver,

i apologize for the problems you are experiencing with your vehicle. Please keep us updated on any information from the dealership.

Thank you,
  • Heard back from the dealer finally - they are replacing the transmission under warranty due to wave plate failure. Seems like there are quite a few of these issues that I am hearing about - yet no recall. Thats the good news.

On a surprisingly similar note - they indicated that the transmission in the windshield wiper motor for variable speed wipers has failed (no longer works) and will cost $300 to replace. Around 60k miles seems to be a turning point for this vehicle.
  • evanobevanob Posts: 7
    We were told that only part of our transmission failed and they would only replace the broken parts. I am concerned that we did not get a complete rebuild. The service manager I spoke to had never heard the term wave plate before. This worried me.
    We also were having a dvd/map error, frequently preventing the navigation system from functioning. The dealer found the same error when they drove the car and apparently replaced the navigation system.
    We just got the car back today. I have not driven the car yet. I am hoping the transmission computer was flashed with better software to make the transmission run more smoothly and get better than 17 mpg highway.
  • knugrebknugreb Posts: 2
    edited October 2011
    Today is the second time in 6 weeks that my 2010 Enclave has been in for service for the Transmission mode switch.
    This vehicle only has 14,900 miles on it.
    I have read through this thread, and haven't seen anything about the mode switch.
    I have to question why this would fail again within 6 weeks of the last repair.
    I love the vehicle, hate the transmission and all the trips to the dealer.
    At this point, I don't feel confident driving anywhere long distance as it is completely unreliable.
    knugreb,
    I apologize for your frustrations. Can you please email me your complete contact information including mailing address, VIN, current mileage, and involved dealer? I would like to report your concerns to GM and set up a case for you. An agent will work with you and your dealer, as well as involve Technical Assistance as needed, to resolve your concerns. I look forward to your response.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • Thank you Christina.
    I will email you outside of this forum with my specifics.
    Honestly, I'm through with this vehicle, so I'm not sure there is anything you can do for me.
    I'm heading to a Lexus or a Mercedes after I decide which vehicle will replace this enclave with only 15K miles on it as of today.
  • knugreb,
    I've also got a MB E350 (in addition to an Enclave) and the MB service through the dealer network has been outstanding. Repairs will be quite a bit more expensive though - so be ready for that. Given the responses here regarding the Enclave transmission I would have expected GM to issue a note to have them checked.
  • Yes, we have a 2008 Enclave with all the options and it has been in the shop twice for transmission issues, and i will give you a guess how many times it has stranded me and my wife on the side of the road? Headed to the dealer again to get it "fixed" I know the entire service department by name, seeing as we have been in so many times with so many issues, from sunroof leaks to stabilitrack not working properly. Transmission has gone out twice in 6 months!!!! Will never purchase another GM vehicle again. :sick: :lemon: :lemon:
    m45ryder,
    I apologize for your frustrations and inconvenience. If you would email me directly I would be happy to set up a case for you with GM Customer Service. Please include your complete mailing address, VIN, current mileage, and involved dealer. I look forward to your response.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • My 2011 Enclave CXL gets very poor gas mileage, (averaging 15.4km/100 km). I suspect it is the transmission not upshifting into 6th or lock-up at the correct speed. At 100kmh the engine is still revving at 1600 to 1800 rpm's!, it should be running at a lower rpm than that.
    I think that the transmission is not programmed properly. Has anyone else had this problem?