Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Buick Enclave Transmission Questions

Comments

• gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,130
    rocdriver,

i apologize for the problems you are experiencing with your vehicle. Please keep us updated on any information from the dealership.

Thank you,
    Caron, GM Customer Service
  • Heard back from the dealer finally - they are replacing the transmission under warranty due to wave plate failure. Seems like there are quite a few of these issues that I am hearing about - yet no recall. Thats the good news.

On a surprisingly similar note - they indicated that the transmission in the windshield wiper motor for variable speed wipers has failed (no longer works) and will cost $300 to replace. Around 60k miles seems to be a turning point for this vehicle.
  • evanobevanob Posts: 7
    We were told that only part of our transmission failed and they would only replace the broken parts. I am concerned that we did not get a complete rebuild. The service manager I spoke to had never heard the term wave plate before. This worried me.
    We also were having a dvd/map error, frequently preventing the navigation system from functioning. The dealer found the same error when they drove the car and apparently replaced the navigation system.
    We just got the car back today. I have not driven the car yet. I am hoping the transmission computer was flashed with better software to make the transmission run more smoothly and get better than 17 mpg highway.
  • knugrebknugreb Posts: 2
    edited October 2011
    Today is the second time in 6 weeks that my 2010 Enclave has been in for service for the Transmission mode switch.
    This vehicle only has 14,900 miles on it.
    I have read through this thread, and haven't seen anything about the mode switch.
    I have to question why this would fail again within 6 weeks of the last repair.
    I love the vehicle, hate the transmission and all the trips to the dealer.
    At this point, I don't feel confident driving anywhere long distance as it is completely unreliable.
    knugreb,
    I apologize for your frustrations. Can you please email me your complete contact information including mailing address, VIN, current mileage, and involved dealer? I would like to report your concerns to GM and set up a case for you. An agent will work with you and your dealer, as well as involve Technical Assistance as needed, to resolve your concerns. I look forward to your response.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • Thank you Christina.
    I will email you outside of this forum with my specifics.
    Honestly, I'm through with this vehicle, so I'm not sure there is anything you can do for me.
    I'm heading to a Lexus or a Mercedes after I decide which vehicle will replace this enclave with only 15K miles on it as of today.
  • knugreb,
    I've also got a MB E350 (in addition to an Enclave) and the MB service through the dealer network has been outstanding. Repairs will be quite a bit more expensive though - so be ready for that. Given the responses here regarding the Enclave transmission I would have expected GM to issue a note to have them checked.
  • Yes, we have a 2008 Enclave with all the options and it has been in the shop twice for transmission issues, and i will give you a guess how many times it has stranded me and my wife on the side of the road? Headed to the dealer again to get it "fixed" I know the entire service department by name, seeing as we have been in so many times with so many issues, from sunroof leaks to stabilitrack not working properly. Transmission has gone out twice in 6 months!!!! Will never purchase another GM vehicle again. :sick: :lemon: :lemon:
    m45ryder,
    I apologize for your frustrations and inconvenience. If you would email me directly I would be happy to set up a case for you with GM Customer Service. Please include your complete mailing address, VIN, current mileage, and involved dealer. I look forward to your response.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • My 2011 Enclave CXL gets very poor gas mileage, (averaging 15.4km/100 km). I suspect it is the transmission not upshifting into 6th or lock-up at the correct speed. At 100kmh the engine is still revving at 1600 to 1800 rpm's!, it should be running at a lower rpm than that.
    I think that the transmission is not programmed properly. Has anyone else had this problem?
  • OK what is your email address?
  • zman3zman3 Posts: 857
    I think that equates to about 60 MPH. The RPM's do not sound that off to me. This is a 6 cylinder engine and there is not enough torque to lope around at 1200 rpms.

I'll check our 2011 at some point to verify.
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,259
    Please click on a member's name to get their contact info.

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

• I have a 2008 Enclave 110,000 miles. The engine light came on and Onstar said it was an Emissions problem. Took it to the Chevrolet dealer (because my usual Buick dealer/service always seems to try and get over on me). they said it was an emissions issue ($188 fix) and another code popped up for transmissions, which had 14 other code related to it. No warranty left and he says its going to cost $3600 to replace the transmission and he doesn't recommend rebuilding. Saw numerous wave plates issues on different forums so I asked him about it and he says it "seems" that probably wasn't my problem. he doesn't have much history with Enclaves..only Acadias. So I'm not sure what I should do...get second opinion..get new transmission...or get rebuilt transmission? Any thoughts?

I do love my Enclave but the mechanical issues are giving me a headache: Failed water pump, replaced rack/pinion for steering noises and locked steering, emissions issues, now transmission. I haven't even addressed the issue of when we get a hard rain, it leaks into the cabin. Don't know if it's from a replaced windshield or "fix" to the sunroof.
  • Hearing lots of interesting stories here. I loved and still love the Enclave - even after all the recent large problems with only 60,000 miles. We are still driving it. Even though I like it a lot, I would not purchase another. Too many problems with too little action on the part of the manufacturer to correct issues with components that should last much longer. There are a lot of great new vehicles out there, many with better and longer warranties than GM. Transmission died at 60k, within days the windshield wiper variable speed transmission died rendering the wipers immobile, and a couple weeks after that the power steering pump busted. It is almost like someone flipped a switch and parts imploded. I don't have the time to keep taking it to the shop. I started a correspondance with customer service, and they indicate the are "looking into it", but I have not heard back.
  • Chosen33,

We can look into the situation further (see if any recalls are associated to your vehicle specifically/follow up with your dealership and help work with them towards resolving this concern). Please email us with your name/user name, contact information, the last 8 of your VIN, and your involved dealership.

Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • I'm sorry that you still have not been contacted -- I will follow up on that.

Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • As a followup to the previous post - I have received a call from GM that they are looking into what they can do to assist with the above mentioned issues. They are communicating, which is great. I appreciate the efforts so far. I was told I will get a call back next week to discuss it further.
  • In the last 6 months, I have had to get the transmission fixed, the power steering pump replaced (at my cost) and the water pump replaced. The trouble started at about 55,000 miles so it was convenient for THEM since I was just over the mileage for them to fix anything. It too the dealership 4-5 weeks to fix the transmission stating they only had ONE transmission person. What's worse is that they couldn't even diagnose the issue for 2 weeks and I had to pay for a rental car out of my own pocket.

The power steering pump and water pump went out at the exact same time. There was fluid leaking in my garage. I will NEVER buy another new buick enclave. I was so pleased with it at first, that I recommended to all my family and friends. I am retracting my "love" of my car. It is still a brand new car and has had TOO many issues NOT under warranty. I cannot afford to keep throwing money at this car.
  • I'm sorry to hear about the multiple concerns that have come up with your Enclave recently. Have you already been working with Customer Assistance? If you wou le like to, please email us more information including your name/username, the last 8 digits of your VIN, and the name of your involved dealership.

Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • I did email you with all the information. Waiting to hear back from you.
  • As you may see here with earlier posts, we had our 08 Enclave transmission replaced under warranty in mid October. Here it is early December and it is already leaking transmission fluid onto our garage floor. Back to the dealership again. I cannot express my disappointment and frustration enough with this vehicle. It has been less than 2 months. The dealer has been great. Car - not so much.
  • hpy2hpy2 Posts: 3
    I started having problems with the engine stalling today! Have a 2008 Enclave CX at 45,700. Can't reverse, the RPM shoots up to 3 1/2 to 4 with extra loud engine noise. The stalling happens when transit nearing 40 mph, don't know why this is happening all of a sudden. Is my vehicle under warranty? Is there a recall with regard to 2008 Enclave transmissions? I want my ride back...please help (michigan)
  • Yes you should still be under warranty. GM has surprisingly not issued a recall for what appears to be a known problem. The transmissions seem to be failing between 40 and 60K miles due to failure of a component called a "wave plate." Once this item fails, the transmission needs a complete rebuild. I do not know if later model years are affected. My car is a 2008 AWD and failed just before 50K thankfully. The new transmission is running well so far (after maybe 3000 miles). The dealer also flashed the computer with a newer program, so mileage improved and transmission changes gears more logically than before rebuild. You will not be the first Enclave that your dealer has seen with this problem.
  • enclaveissuesenclaveissues Posts: 3
    edited December 2011
    Interesting. I bought my 2008 Enclave CXL in September of 2010. Searched and searched for just the right one. It was supposedly certified pre-owned and I also purchased the GM protection plan. In January of 2011, the entire electrical system went out and then in March 2011 the transmission was replaced. The car had 73K on it.... The work was completed under warranty but .....last week it began hesitating badly so I took it in and am told that it is once again, the transmission. However, since the car now has 104K mile on it, the work will NOT be covered. Wow....the transmission lasted an entire 31K and GM will not cover it because the original work was done under the powertrain warranty which ended at 100k. I was told that if I had PAID for the work, it would probably be under warranty........ Incredible. So disappointed in this vehicle..... :lemon:
  • enclaveissuesenclaveissues Posts: 3
    edited December 2011
    Interesting. I bought my 2008 Enclave CXL in September of 2010. Searched and searched for just the right one. It was supposedly certified pre-owned and I also purchased the GM protection plan. In January of 2011, the entire electrical system went out and then in March 2011 the transmission was replaced. The car had 73K on it.... The work was completed under warranty but .....last week it began hesitating badly so I took it in and am told that it is once again, the transmission. However, since the car now has 104K mile on it, the work will NOT be covered. Wow....the transmission lasted an entire 31K and GM will not cover it because the original work was done under the powertrain warranty which ended at 100k. I was told that if I had PAID for the work, it would probably be under warranty........ Incredible. So disappointed in this vehicle.....can't get rid of it because who would want this nightmare..... :lemon: :sick:
  • I understand why you are frustrated. Have you already worked with Customer Assistance? We are available to set up a case so that your situation will be evaluated. Please send us an email with more information, including: your name/username, contact information (address and phone), the last 8 digits of your VIN and current mileage, and the name of your involved dealership.

If you would also be so kind as to include a link to this page, that would be helpful as I am not the only Customer Service Representative who responds to the emails that come in from Edmunds, and we want to be sure we can capture the context of the situation.

Regards,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • aconesacones Posts: 21
    My '08 Buick Enclave (48k miles) simply shut the engine off while my wife was driving (can anyone say SAFTEY issue). The check engine indicator flashed on and then the vehicle simply shut off and would only re-start after allowing it to sit for a short period of time, only to barely make it another 100ft or so before shutting off again. Had the car towed to Buick and they replaced the water pump claiming that it was leaking and was the cause of the vehicle shutting off. (I'm not certain that even as a safety feature, a car should shut off while being operated). Anyhow, that was two weeks ago- last night, while I was driving home it shut off me twice. Once again I had the vehicle towed to Buick where it sits waiting to be diagnosed. I was able to get a code (B0242) which indicated Power Train Control Module issue, but once again, my main concern (in addition to this vehicle seemingly having never ending mechanical issues) is that it is extremely unsafe for a vehicle to shut off while being driven. Luckily for us, the vehicle is still under manufacture warranty and we purchased an extended warranty at time of purchase (NOT intending on NEEDING to use it). Can anyone shed some light on this issue for me please? We use to love this car when we first bought it, but too much money being spent on a machine that seems to be prone to leaving us stranded and constantly waiting on tow trucks. Thanks in advance for any replies & also for listening (reading) to my frustrations.

Aaron Cones
    SFC, USA
  • I am very sorry that you have felt unsafe as a result of the engine shut down with your Buick. I see that your vehicle is in the dealership already - how is the diagnosis and repair progressing?

Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • aconesacones Posts: 21
    The diagnosis was a faulty ECM which has been replaced. The first diagnosis was a faulty water pump (2 weeks ago). I am extremely confused, however, as to why a vehicle would simply shut the engine off while driving for either of these faults. Two completely different mechanical issues; resulting in the same exact EXTREMELY UNSAFE scenario? At 48k miles for a vehicle in this class, this is absolutely ridiculous mechanical workmanship from GM. I feel as though we are simply biding our time until the next unsafe mishap occurs with this car (and who knows when, where, or at what speed we will be driving when that happens). The only good thing for us is that we purchased the extended warranty when we bought the car off the show room floor in '08.