Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subaru Legacy: Typical high-mileage repairs?

Comments

• nygregnygreg Posts: 1,936
    Is the Blitzen for your wife, or you?? :-)

Greg
  • pattim3pattim3 Posts: 533
    Good Morning - I'm told this is normal as long as it clears up when the car is warm. So far, we haven't seen any long term detriment to the engine.

Patti
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    The Blitzen would be for the wife. She likes sedans - I prefer wagons. Her car is older and will need to be replaced next.

I drive hers too, though, so I wouldn't be missing out.

-juice
  • 99gs99gs Posts: 109
    I have a Honda CRV with 60K on it. It's a '97 so it has the 120+ HP engine. It has run fine, no problems, I've just done maintenance by the book. After driving an Outback there was no comparison. The feel of the Subie is so solid and safe compared to the Honda. I currently have my CRV for sale. If you haven't driven a Subaru yet please do. My wife also couldn't believe the difference after driving one. Jack
    Nice to hear, Jack. The 2001s have a $750 incentive in some regions, so it's not a bad time to look.

Try an H6, too. The press was saying $32k was too much for a Subie, but you can actually get an LL Bean H6 wagon for $25,993. Fitzgerald Auto Mall in MD has several for that price, and it includes freight.

-juice
  • nygregnygreg Posts: 1,936
    most people here talk about their car or their spouse's car. We have two "cars" (OB and Sienna), but don't consider one mine or my wife's. We just have two and use the one that suits the day's needs (who has kids, places to go, etc). Hmm, maybe I need a new WRX just for me. :) Off topic, I know.

Greg
  • Dear all,

I am currently considering a purchase of the 1999 Subaru Brighton with 92K. Auto. Mileage looks too high, but I am attracted by the age and modets price (seller asking 7500$). I will very appreciate any comments on what to look for in this Subaru with such a high mileage?
    I had an Imreza '95 2WD before with 120K and have experienced few electric problems (sensors) and changed CV joints 3 times along with fuel pump.

Any comments on the subject are very welcome.

Thanks!!!

Dennis
    Greg: the two of us share three cars. And I call two of them "mine" but the wife usually gets first dibs, so maybe I should call all three cars "hers"!

All 99s were AWD, but there was no maintenance required on those. Just check that the timing belt and the 60k mile service was done, and ask for other regular service records. The Brigthon had the 2.2l engine, 137hp IIRC. Since it's auto, an ATF flush would be a good idea if it was not done already, for about $80-$100.

Take a thorough test drive. Luckily, any problems tend to stand out and be obvious. Listen for pinging or drivetrain whine. Crawl underneath and look for any signs of fluid leaks, which are not that common.

If it's quiet, smooth, and clean, odds are you're fine. You may want to have a mechanic give it a quick look-see.

-juice
  • Hello, I have a 1993 Subaru Impreza L with Front Wheel Drive with only 55,400 miles on it. The car had rattling sounds coming somewhere from the exhaust system so I took it to a local national muffler /brakes repair shop. They could only find that the exhaust shields that ran from the engine to the first catalytic converter were loose. They said it couldn't be repaired. So the only option was to leave it on as is or take the heat shields off.I opted and had the heat shields taken off. I would like to know if I don't have them replaced with new ones, what are the consequences and where can I get new heat shields at a discounted price?
  • cptpltcptplt Posts: 1,075
    unless you park on long dry grass a lot, losing a heat shield is no big deal, if you do then you may have you may have to worry about starting a fire under your car! I've lost heat shields off several cars, no big deal as I'm an urban person!
  • paisanpaisan Posts: 21,181
    I am pretty sure they protect the vehcile, not the grass, but I could be wrong.

-mike
    I can only tell you what various mechanics have told me starting with an Audi, then an Acura and now Subarus. All have had heat shields either fall off or removed for rattles as it woudl cost more to fix. Whenever I asked if its ok to be without one, they said the only important thing which mattered was what I related in the other post about it being a fire hazard to combustible material under the car.
    I can't see why you would want a shield to protect the engine from an external heat source under the car! I could see there is some dumb govt regulation which says you can't have the engine radiating so much heat to surfaces under it that it could be a fire hazard!
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,902
    I think it keeps heat from the interior of the car and possibly also prevents fire. The heat from a catalytic can be awesome.

I believe most cars have 2 shields, one on the undersurface of the cat convertors and one in between the cat and the car body. My experience has always been that the one nearest the road ends up coming off hence the caution from the mechanics about not parking in high dry grass!
    The Heat is extreme, you don't want that heat to heat up the floor of your car and the carpet etc. Not a good situation. I think you are correct there may be an upper and a lower, upper protecting the car from the heat, the lower preventing fire of grass.

-mike
  • My 95 Legacy L is approaching 90K miles and I was wondering what if anything I might look forward to replacing in the near future. Are suspension parts more road related than mileage? The timing belt was replaced before I got it and the serpentine belt replaced by the dealer before I took possession. Everything else seems tight and quiet.

Speaking of replacing, I'm looking at new tires before winter. My mechanic has recommended yokahama. Tirerack has some good reviews for wet, dry and snow. Any opinions? The stock size is 185/70R14. Can I change tire size without changing wheels? and is there any advantage in doing so?

Thanks for any input,

Kevin
  • mrdetailermrdetailer Posts: 1,118
    A car here without a heat sheild started a fire that cost 1.5 million to put out. So at least in the West not having one can be significant.
    I used to have a 92 LS with 95K, still have a 92 L with 86K now. Start worrying about various sensors for the engine or ABS going out and a/c problems. If you haven't changed your water pump, it will probably need changing soon.There is an oil seal which tends to go on higher mileage Legacys of that period too.

I've got Michelin X Ones ( I think they are the same as the Michelin Radial X (XSE) in places like Sams Club etc) on the 92 L now, works very well in most weathers including light snow, though I use my 98 GT with snowtires when its really bad so I can't really say how good the X ones are in bad snow. Had Pirelli 500s on the LS, not as good as the X ones.The X ones have incredible tread life, got almost 30K on them and they look slightly worn only.

You can change the size a little, as long as its not so much bigger it doesn't hit anything when you turn the front wheel! Probably a 195/60/14 would fit fine. Tirerack are great for knowing what does and doesn't fit but sometimes its just trial and error.Your speedo may be out a little but not anything of significance.

If you have lots of snow where you live, get some real snowtires, it really makes a difference. I still have a set of snowtires for the 92 L but since its my "spare" car, I have been lazy last 2 winter seasons and not put them on. But on the regular all season tires, it does not handle anywhere as well on ice/snow as when it had snowtires.
    I'd say you can got to 205 and get by. Here is a great tire calculator to see what will fit and not mess up your speedo. http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

-mike

I'd go for 205-60-14. That is what I run on my XT6. Best summer tires to get are Yokohamma AVS Intermediates. Haven't found an "outstanding" all-season yet.

-mike
  • I got my car last year at the end of February and got a couple of good snow storms to try it out. even with the old tires, it was so pleasant (and fun) to be out and about. One of the storms shut down most everything around here (north of Boston) and I was about the only car out. There were a few 4x4's but they weren't making any better progress. I'm looking forward to winter even with just new all seasons.

The tire size changes can be done on the stock wheels? I looked at the tire calculator. Pretty neat. I like the thought of a little lower and wider, but the tires are barely in my budget, so no new wheels. (as much as I would love to get some alloys.)

Thanks again,

Kevin
    What size rims are they? I run 205-55-14s on my XT6 rims which are 14x5.5 as well as my stock tires which are 205-60-14.

-mike
    Hmm, for 90k, I'd do:

oil and filter
    air filter
    fuel filter
    spark plugs
    O2 sensor
    PCV valve
    trans or ATF oil
    rear diffy oil
    full alignment, rotate tires
    bleed brakes, replace pads if worn
    check rotors and drums
    check shocks, replace if necessary

Can't think of anything else now. Those ought to keep her running for another 30k miles at least.

-juice
  • mrdetailermrdetailer Posts: 1,118
    especially if it smells burnt. I would also go to a radiator specialty shop and have them clean out the radiator.
  • I have a 1990 Legacy with 160,000 miles on it, and it runs great except when driving above 65-70 mph for more than 15-20 minutes. It acts as though the fuel filter is clogging and starts to slow down and hesitate. I downshift to regain speed and the problem seems to disappear after a few minutes. I have replaced the plugs, wires and fuel filter and hoses with no change. The compression was 190 in the back two cylinders and 170 in the front two. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thank you
    Could be the catalytic? Just a thought.

-mike
    Your compression is great considering the age.

Yeah, could be the cat. Something is choking the engine, so it's got to be the intake or exhaust. If you ever put regular gas in the tank, that could be clogging the cat.

Just a thought, but my wife's 626 started hesitating, and the injectors needed to be cleaned. We did all the other stuff, but that service made the engine feel like new.

-juice
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,902
    Yep, I'd have the catalytic tested straight away.

Get the injectors blown out. About $40 from a jiffy lube type place.

-mike
    That's what I meant. You put it more simply. :-)

-juice
This discussion has been closed.