Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hyundai Santa Fe Towing Questions

50mph50mph Posts: 3
I bought a new Santa Fe, the option came with the Towing package. This included all the extra cooling and pre wiring.

So I had my Towing Package installed today. And I found out that they dealer who installed my package says it did not come with the pre wiring. I grabbed my Invoice, it does state I had this option. Anyway, now I have this Kimshi Red wire running all the way up into my engine compartment and attached to the Fuse Box. Also I niticed the had ti use Electrical tape on the Red Wire at the rear bumper. I noticed the control box and they spliced a red wire there and ran it all the way up front. Used about 3 or 4 tie strips. I paid $1300.00 for a Touriung package and didnt ge the pre wiriung I thought I would get. Maybe they dealer ordered the wrong Towing Package, I see on the OEM Parts page for Hyundai they have 2 different types of kits, One for the Pre wiring, one for the non-pore wiring.

Also I had the bug defflector installed. Wow, they didnt do that very well at all. Its not straight, and they mounted it in correctly.

I have pictures. But what I am looking for is some good firepower to go back to the dealer with. I am wondering if anyone can shed any light on this Towing Package.

Thanks
Dennis

Comments

• james74james74 Posts: 3
    I am thinking of getting the 2007 Limited model, but my wife thinks that is not worthy of towing a boat. We don't even have a boat yet, but are deffo thinking about getting one. How large a boat have people towed with this vehicle, and was everything OK?

thanks
  • musky1gfmmusky1gfm Posts: 36
    Depends on what kind of boat?For example I'm contemplating the awd Limited.
    My boat is a 17.5' Crestliner alum. fishing boat,the entire set-up weighs 1900 lb. That's boat,motor and trailer.
    Figure out what yours would weigh from mfrg. web sites,etc.
    Hope this helps.
  • berniedgberniedg Posts: 54
    My boat is 17'Lund, also about 1800lbs. I would like to hear of peoples experience in towing with '07 SF. Right now I tow very happily with full cabin in Dodge Caravan, 4000lb vehicle, with 210lb-ft of torque.
    On paper the new Santa Fe, should be just as good ?
    I don't know anyone who tows with an asian designed vehicle, wonder why ?
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 40,562
    The chicken tax may be one reason:

Should the US keep the Chicken Tax? (Straightline)

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• Don't think you will have any trouble with your set-up.
    I've seen many Toyota and Nissan trucks towing boats,not heavy loads like 5-wheeler rv's and such tho.
    Of course Hyundai doesn't make a truck for the U.S. at present.
    You can get a hitch from HiddenHitch.com for about $150,including wiring and no shipping cost.Bolts into 4 holes already in frame.
  • berniedgberniedg Posts: 54
    True, I've seen Pathfinders, and 4runners towing boats along highways, but not many of the current crop of car based suvs.
    I'm reluctant to change vehicles when each weekend, I primarily see American mini-vans and trucks lining up at my boat launches. Hard to avoid group think.
    Thanks for the info on hidden hitch, and for info on Chicken Tax. I have seen reference to that term but never looked it up till now. Interesting.
  • rick2456rick2456 Posts: 320
    I believe the towing limit is 3500lbs so as to not void the warranty. I am sure it is capable of towing more, but at risk to the warranty. Good luck.
  • gwillygwilly Posts: 51
    Good rule of thumb is tow no more than 75% of max towing weight. In this case about 2600 pounds.

I wouldn't bank on using the pre-wired trailer harness, Hyundai has not finalized a corresponding adapter to plug into it. I did find an adapter however you have to take interior panels off to get to the existing light harnesses, still a PIA. If you have a 6 wire socket for brakes then you can get an adapter from flat 4 to round 6.

http://www.bsaohio.com/proddetail.php?prod=118415
  • rick2456rick2456 Posts: 320
    I stand corrected. I looked at the Hyundai brochure and it says 2000lbs. Good thing I have a truck base SUV for that stuff.
  • kdahlquistkdahlquist Posts: 130
    It's only 2000 pounds for base models. Most Santa Fe's are being built with the two prep package, which ups max towing capacity to 3,500 pounds.
    Hyundai has finally released a plug-in trailer wiring harness for the 07 Santa Fe. It is part number U8612-2B000. It's so new that my dealer didn't know it existed, and tried to tell me it didn't. They wanted to sell me part number U8614-2B000, which requires splicing. I told them to check with Hyundai, which they did, and surprise! I was right. The computer showed it in-stock in the warehouse, so I should have it in a few days. Retail price is $81.61.
  • I currently am towing an 18 ft travel trailer (tow weight around 2300 lbs, hitch weight around 230 lbs) with a 2002 Toyota Sienna (220 HP/210 ft pounds torque). While the back end does go down a bit (can you imagine my previous tow vehicle, a 1997 Dodge Grand Caravan had self leveling air shocks as part of the "tow package") I have had no trouble actually towing or stopping with either vehicle. I can't imagine that the Santa Fe will be any different although I will try my best to see if I can find after market self leveling air shocks for my 2008 Santa when I purchase it. Just in case you are wondering, I went to Alaska and back with the trailer with the Caravan (round trip a little over 10K miles) and have been to the Rockies and back (5.5K miles) with the Sienna. In total, I have towed the trailer for about 40K miles with the two vehicles so if there were going to be any problems, I think I would have discovered them by now. I am confident the Santa Fe will perform just as well as the Caravan and the Sienna, in fact better considering it has more power than either of the two vans.
    I picked up the new harness today. As advertised, it is plug-and-play. You plug it into the two proprietary connectors in the left rear of the vehicle (inside the body just behind the left rear wheel), and it has a conventional flat four-in trailer plug on the other end. It comes with very detailed installation instructions, mounting brackets, cables ties, etc. Very nicely done and certainly worth the $82 retail price.
  • gogregogogrego Posts: 15
    Dang! Yesterday I just finished hooking up my trailer lights with an after-market setup. I found the 4 prong connector on an old Hyundai at a junkyard. It's the same as the O2 sensor connector. The battery power (2-prong)I could not find so I cut and spliced it. I used the Modulite #118176 power module. It all works great for about 50 bucks total. But....I would have bought the dealer one for the extra $$ for a lot less hassle.
  • powerman5powerman5 Posts: 6
    I hooked up my boat to the Santa Fe yesterday. The vehicle pulled the boat just fine. I was supprised at how well the vehilce handled with the boat connected. However, I did notice that the rear wheels seemed to change the angle. My tongue weight is around 250 lbs but the wheels looked like this / \ as apposed to like this l l. Just looked a little weired to me. Happy motoring.
  • gizzer777gizzer777 Posts: 335
    Hello kdahlquist

Can you supply a part number for the harness alone. my dealer says it is only available with the entire package....TIA
    See post #11 in this thread.
    Thank You, kdahlquist!
    Just asked a friend of mine who is a GREAT mechanic and he said that it sounds like the Santa Fe has four wheel independent suspension (which I don't know if that is true or not) but that would explaine the way the rear wheels toe out. He said that I should be find towing the boat as long as I don't have to make very long trips. This is ok by me because we would only be towing the boat with the Santa Fe for very short distances and then only if my truck is not working at the time. Just thought I would pass this information on. Happy Motoring.
  • gwillygwilly Posts: 51
    He said that I should be find towing the boat as long as I don't have to make very long trips

That sure sounds counter-intuitive. Could you have your mechanic elaborate on this theory. I read the owners manual and have the AWD SE Santa Fe and will definitely tow up to 6 hours pulling a pop-up trailer (1800lbs) into high elevations 8500+ feet.

I am being slightly sarcastic in my tone, which I'm sure you can sense. I bought my vehicle primarily to be able to tow and have a great vehicle to drive. So far my towing experiences have been stellar, plenty of power and good mileage also. (17-18mpg)
    Guess there is quite a difference in pulling an 1800 lb pop-up trailer for long trips and pulling a 3200 lb boat for long trips. I am sure the car would be just fine but it worries me about how the wheels toe out.
  • If anyone is looking for installation instructions (took me 2 hours to find them) here they are:

http://www.draw-tite.com/fitguides/pdf/N118310.pdf

Or have a look through:
    http://www.bsaohio.com/proddetail.php?prod=18310

Cheers and good luck.
    I am a little confused by your description. The towing pkg should have a pair of pig tails with odd looking plugs FACTORY mounted under the fenderwell on the driver's side as well as the HD fans and radiator and transmission cooler.

If they added some kind of aftermarket job, you did not get what you paid for and I would first discuss it with the sales mgr, then if necessary Hyundai USA, then depending on your state, the AG's office if you do not get any where. I think they way you are describing the job, it might be fraud. That long red wire...where does it begin in the rear...the towing harness needs more than a single red wire even if added later.

The factory PKG needs the special harness ($80)to attach to existing pigtails and then converted thru a small converter box)to the traditional 4 prong adapter...sounds like they ran a wire for a Trailer brake....more info or Pics plzWithout a braking kit, there should be no spliced wires. The Non prewired SF's would have the wiring harness spliced into the brake lights.

I would also bring the poor workmanship on the bug deflector to the sale's manager's attention and insist that it be done correctly. Just MHO.
  • 50mph50mph Posts: 3
    From what I know I have the upgraded cooling and should have the included wiring. I only know that the Options Package listed this on the Vehicle Sticker. After you posted where the plugs are a friend found these 2 plugs. But they didnt use the plugs, they just spliced wires and used electrical tape. So they used the non-pre wiring instead of the Pre Wiring I had. I will try and describe the wiring. I do have pictures, but they are at home. I think you are correct, that red wire must be for a trailer brake. It runs from a control box and conects to the Fuse Box under the Hood.

The bottom line is I paid for an option, Pre Wiring and they didnt use them. So I have Black Electrical tape and a poor wiring job. The Control Box has become lose, the glue they used dripped on my Tail Pipe.

I know its not you, I am just so upset that I didnt get the service I deserve. Its like yo mentioned, its like a aftermarket U-Haul Install.

I guess all I can do is try and make the dealer correct the problems.

Other thn my poor service, I love my Santa Fe. I think I try abother Hyundai dealer here for any more servicing.
    Yep...thats what they did. The CORRECT Plug and play harness part #is UB610-2B100 That is the part # on my instructions that came with my plug and play harness!

EDIT.....It just dawned on me that you have probably purchased the whole Hyundai hitch kit...I do not know the correct # for the kit with the harness above...so pick and choose what is below

Just what wires did they splice into? BTW...I do not know if the prewire touring pkg is or is not wired for the trailer brake (Hyundai may have messed up that one) so I have no idea how they do that.....I am doubtful since my plug and play harness ends in a normal 4 prong trailer flat wire..I think there are special plugs for the brake kit though...do check first.
    What did they splice into anyway...the prewire or tail light?

DEFINITELY NOT ACCEPTABLE...$1300 TOURING PKG AND THEN THAT MESS....

I would still lodge a formal complaint and see if you can get them to replace the harnesses where they put the black tape (OR WHATEVER THEY SPLICED INTO), remove the wrong harness and get you the correct one...do not think I would allow them to even install it from what you describe!!!!

At Kragen or whatever, you can buy a cheap trailer wiring harness checker for under $10 if you need to. BTW THE ETRAILERS.COM AFTERMARKET HARNESS DOES NOT EVEN USE SPLICES...USES NEAT T-CONNECTORS AND COSTS ABOUT $35!!! I bought my drawtight hitch there and the plug and play harness from my dealer. the hitch was about $120 shipped and high quality!!

The oem harness has crimp connectors that are used on SF's without the pre wiring (just like U-haul)...Black tape does not get it and I would be upset too. It really sounds like your dealer has no idea what's playing...the plug and play harness has been out a few months now.

I would definitely find another dealer and use HyundaiUSA if need be

Hint...those pigtails connectors have caps on them that you remove prior to snapping the CORRECT harness into them...it takes about 15 minutes to install the harness and most of that time is the routing of the loom and converter box that attaches up under the bumper area (actually on a strut type affair). Also on my harness a strong double sided tape is used to mount toe control box...NOT GLUE...glue near exhaust=bad news! AND IT MOUNTS TOWARDS THE CENTER OF THAT STRUT(BUMBER) NOT NEAR AN EXHAUST! THAT IS CLEAR IN THE INSTRUCTIONS!

SAVE THOSE PICTURES AND TAKE MORE JUST IN CASE!Please keep us posted
  • 50mph50mph Posts: 3
    ">I agree with what you said. On the Hyundai Parts site they list 2 types of towing packages. But I don't think this is my problem, they had my VIN#, I bought the vehicle there. So they may have installed the wiring kit that was for the non towing package. When I was there, in the service department, I mentioned I had the included towing prep package. He just relied with it isnt there. Even after bringing out my vehicle window sticker, showing it had listed the proper package, he just replied the same.

Quantity Name SKU Each Total (USD)

Non towing package:Hyundai Santa Fe 2007 Tow Hitch U8610-2B000 $373.35 $373.35

Pre-wired for towing package:Hyundai Santa Fe 2007 Tow Hitch U8610-2B100 $373.35 $373.35

I hope they will make this right. I am thinking they did drill in the rear somewhere. They applied some sort of silcone and when the did this, it dripped onto my Crome Exhaust tip. So it had this glue stick stuff all over it. Again I have pictures. I mat take the time to upload them here when I get home. I will even take a picture of the non used plugs that are in place.

I would like to thank you for all your help. You brought so much information I needed and could not get from my dealer.

Thanks
  • I think you should get Hyundai Customer Service involved. You may want to goto another dealer though, to have everything verified. :(
    I would notify HyundaiUSA as well...they can have a rep view the shoddy workmanship and wrong harness and hopefully make things right. Dealers hate hearing from corporate!
    Get a file number after reporting the problems...they can be quite responsive when dealt with.

I only hope things work out for you and the pleasure is mine!
    I'm pretty sure I know what happened.

To my knowledge, ALL 2007 Santa Fes come with trailer pre-wiring. While it is advertised as being included with the Touring Package, I've heard on this forum from others who did not get the Touring Package that their vehicles were, in fact, pre-wired. You should look and see if the pre-wiring is there on yours. I bet it is.

To check, get under your Santa just behind the rear wheel on the driver's side. Use a flashlight and look at the inside of the body panel. You should see two thick black plastic cables with funny plugs on them. That's the trailer pre-wiring that your dealer should have plugged into.

My dealership didn't know anything about those connections when I went it to ask about trailer wiring. They tried to sell me a kit that required splicing. I had to show them the pre-wiring connectors and give them the part number for the wiring harness with the plugs for those connectors.

And if you buy the entire trailering kit from the dealer, which it sounds like you did, the kit includes both the hitch and wiring harness. BUT THE HARNESS INCLUDED IN THAT KIT IS THE WRONG ONE! The harness included in the kit requires splicing. To get the plug-in harness, you need a different part number at a cost of $81. That's why most of us on this forum recommend NOT getting the dealer-installed tow hitch. Just buy a Hidden Hitch or other brand hitch for $150 or so, and buy the plug-in wiring harness from your dealer for $81.

It sounds to me like your dealer just had the wrong wiring harness and was too lazy or cheap or stupid (or all three) to realize that they needed to get a different part.

Step one for you, though, is to verify that the pre-wiring is in fact there. I bet it is.
  • somedai1somedai1 Posts: 416
    KDAHLQUIST IS ABSOLUTELY RIGHT - I CHECKED LAST NIGHT - TO MY SURPRISE IT WAS THERE - THOUGH I HAVE NO PRESENT INTENTIONS OF EVER TOWING - NICE TO KNOW IT'S THERE...