Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hyundai Santa Fe Towing Questions

50mph50mph Posts: 3
I bought a new Santa Fe, the option came with the Towing package. This included all the extra cooling and pre wiring.

So I had my Towing Package installed today. And I found out that they dealer who installed my package says it did not come with the pre wiring. I grabbed my Invoice, it does state I had this option. Anyway, now I have this Kimshi Red wire running all the way up into my engine compartment and attached to the Fuse Box. Also I niticed the had ti use Electrical tape on the Red Wire at the rear bumper. I noticed the control box and they spliced a red wire there and ran it all the way up front. Used about 3 or 4 tie strips. I paid $1300.00 for a Touriung package and didnt ge the pre wiriung I thought I would get. Maybe they dealer ordered the wrong Towing Package, I see on the OEM Parts page for Hyundai they have 2 different types of kits, One for the Pre wiring, one for the non-pore wiring.

Also I had the bug defflector installed. Wow, they didnt do that very well at all. Its not straight, and they mounted it in correctly.

I have pictures. But what I am looking for is some good firepower to go back to the dealer with. I am wondering if anyone can shed any light on this Towing Package.

Thanks
Dennis

Comments

• james74james74 Posts: 3
    I am thinking of getting the 2007 Limited model, but my wife thinks that is not worthy of towing a boat. We don't even have a boat yet, but are deffo thinking about getting one. How large a boat have people towed with this vehicle, and was everything OK?

thanks
  • musky1gfmmusky1gfm Posts: 36
    Depends on what kind of boat?For example I'm contemplating the awd Limited.
    My boat is a 17.5' Crestliner alum. fishing boat,the entire set-up weighs 1900 lb. That's boat,motor and trailer.
    Figure out what yours would weigh from mfrg. web sites,etc.
    Hope this helps.
  • berniedgberniedg Posts: 54
    My boat is 17'Lund, also about 1800lbs. I would like to hear of peoples experience in towing with '07 SF. Right now I tow very happily with full cabin in Dodge Caravan, 4000lb vehicle, with 210lb-ft of torque.
    On paper the new Santa Fe, should be just as good ?
    I don't know anyone who tows with an asian designed vehicle, wonder why ?
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,968
    The chicken tax may be one reason:

Should the US keep the Chicken Tax? (Straightline)
  • Don't think you will have any trouble with your set-up.
    I've seen many Toyota and Nissan trucks towing boats,not heavy loads like 5-wheeler rv's and such tho.
    Of course Hyundai doesn't make a truck for the U.S. at present.
    You can get a hitch from HiddenHitch.com for about $150,including wiring and no shipping cost.Bolts into 4 holes already in frame.
  • berniedgberniedg Posts: 54
    True, I've seen Pathfinders, and 4runners towing boats along highways, but not many of the current crop of car based suvs.
    I'm reluctant to change vehicles when each weekend, I primarily see American mini-vans and trucks lining up at my boat launches. Hard to avoid group think.
    Thanks for the info on hidden hitch, and for info on Chicken Tax. I have seen reference to that term but never looked it up till now. Interesting.
  • rick2456rick2456 Posts: 320
    I believe the towing limit is 3500lbs so as to not void the warranty. I am sure it is capable of towing more, but at risk to the warranty. Good luck.
  • gwillygwilly Posts: 51
    Good rule of thumb is tow no more than 75% of max towing weight. In this case about 2600 pounds.

I wouldn't bank on using the pre-wired trailer harness, Hyundai has not finalized a corresponding adapter to plug into it. I did find an adapter however you have to take interior panels off to get to the existing light harnesses, still a PIA. If you have a 6 wire socket for brakes then you can get an adapter from flat 4 to round 6.

http://www.bsaohio.com/proddetail.php?prod=118415
  • rick2456rick2456 Posts: 320
    I stand corrected. I looked at the Hyundai brochure and it says 2000lbs. Good thing I have a truck base SUV for that stuff.
  • kdahlquistkdahlquist Posts: 130
    It's only 2000 pounds for base models. Most Santa Fe's are being built with the two prep package, which ups max towing capacity to 3,500 pounds.
    Hyundai has finally released a plug-in trailer wiring harness for the 07 Santa Fe. It is part number U8612-2B000. It's so new that my dealer didn't know it existed, and tried to tell me it didn't. They wanted to sell me part number U8614-2B000, which requires splicing. I told them to check with Hyundai, which they did, and surprise! I was right. The computer showed it in-stock in the warehouse, so I should have it in a few days. Retail price is $81.61.
  • I currently am towing an 18 ft travel trailer (tow weight around 2300 lbs, hitch weight around 230 lbs) with a 2002 Toyota Sienna (220 HP/210 ft pounds torque). While the back end does go down a bit (can you imagine my previous tow vehicle, a 1997 Dodge Grand Caravan had self leveling air shocks as part of the "tow package") I have had no trouble actually towing or stopping with either vehicle. I can't imagine that the Santa Fe will be any different although I will try my best to see if I can find after market self leveling air shocks for my 2008 Santa when I purchase it. Just in case you are wondering, I went to Alaska and back with the trailer with the Caravan (round trip a little over 10K miles) and have been to the Rockies and back (5.5K miles) with the Sienna. In total, I have towed the trailer for about 40K miles with the two vehicles so if there were going to be any problems, I think I would have discovered them by now. I am confident the Santa Fe will perform just as well as the Caravan and the Sienna, in fact better considering it has more power than either of the two vans.
    I picked up the new harness today. As advertised, it is plug-and-play. You plug it into the two proprietary connectors in the left rear of the vehicle (inside the body just behind the left rear wheel), and it has a conventional flat four-in trailer plug on the other end. It comes with very detailed installation instructions, mounting brackets, cables ties, etc. Very nicely done and certainly worth the $82 retail price.
  • gogregogogrego Posts: 15
    Dang! Yesterday I just finished hooking up my trailer lights with an after-market setup. I found the 4 prong connector on an old Hyundai at a junkyard. It's the same as the O2 sensor connector. The battery power (2-prong)I could not find so I cut and spliced it. I used the Modulite #118176 power module. It all works great for about 50 bucks total. But....I would have bought the dealer one for the extra $$ for a lot less hassle.
  • powerman5powerman5 Posts: 6
    I hooked up my boat to the Santa Fe yesterday. The vehicle pulled the boat just fine. I was supprised at how well the vehilce handled with the boat connected. However, I did notice that the rear wheels seemed to change the angle. My tongue weight is around 250 lbs but the wheels looked like this / \ as apposed to like this l l. Just looked a little weired to me. Happy motoring.
  • gizzer777gizzer777 Posts: 336
    Hello kdahlquist

Can you supply a part number for the harness alone. my dealer says it is only available with the entire package....TIA
    See post #11 in this thread.
  • gizzer777gizzer777 Posts: 336
    Thank You, kdahlquist!
  • powerman5powerman5 Posts: 6
    Just asked a friend of mine who is a GREAT mechanic and he said that it sounds like the Santa Fe has four wheel independent suspension (which I don't know if that is true or not) but that would explaine the way the rear wheels toe out. He said that I should be find towing the boat as long as I don't have to make very long trips. This is ok by me because we would only be towing the boat with the Santa Fe for very short distances and then only if my truck is not working at the time. Just thought I would pass this information on. Happy Motoring.
  • gwillygwilly Posts: 51
    He said that I should be find towing the boat as long as I don't have to make very long trips

That sure sounds counter-intuitive. Could you have your mechanic elaborate on this theory. I read the owners manual and have the AWD SE Santa Fe and will definitely tow up to 6 hours pulling a pop-up trailer (1800lbs) into high elevations 8500+ feet.

I am being slightly sarcastic in my tone, which I'm sure you can sense. I bought my vehicle primarily to be able to tow and have a great vehicle to drive. So far my towing experiences have been stellar, plenty of power and good mileage also. (17-18mpg)