Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hyundai Santa Fe Towing Questions

Comments

• gizzer777gizzer777 Posts: 335
    Now if they all have the prewire...I wonder why Hyundai even makes a splice connector harness for the 07? That is really weird.

Luckily, I have my plug and play harness from the dealer and drawtite hitch from etrailers so I am at least set up neatly (yes, i installed it myself too since it was so simple)
  • bwd1970bwd1970 Posts: 23
    Anyone have experience towing with the new 2007 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited with Tow package. Mine seems to have more rear end sag than it should. Trailer weighs in at 2800 lbs. Tongue weight at 340, a little heavy. From what I have read/researched, a weight distribution hitch is strongly discouraged by Hyundai (owners manual). Anyone have an idea why it is discouraged? There aren't aftermarket suspension airbags or load adjusting shocks at this time for this vehicle. I need lots of help!!
  • gwillygwilly Posts: 51
    I have a similar situation, and today I was fretting over the exact same thing. I tow a small tent trailer 2004 Fleetwood Tuscon (1450 unladen, 1600-1700 laden) with 2007 Santa Fe AWD plus 3rd row with towing package. My tongue weight is around 310 and it definitely has major rear end sag.

I already posted this info previously, but for a recap I e-mailed Air Lift a photo of the rear springs and they said it may or may not work (this is after your remove the rubber bushing at the inside top of the coil spring shaft) because the air bag will only hit two of the coils. Obviously this would be bad if they didn't work.

The other alternative is air shocks, however after an exhaustive search of all the major manufacturers comparing overall length by minimum travel and max travel, including upper mount and lower mount....there is no shock available. I could get a close one that matches most variables and then bore out the rubber bushings and change/add sleeves. My neighbor swears we could do it.

It does seem a little crazy that it has that much rear end sag, I mean at least several crossover SUVs have air suspension systems (Suzuki XL 7) to solve this problem. I bought my Santa Fe primarily to tow. The engine is smooth as silk with plenty of power.

I would not recommend this vehicle as it equipped presently for towing with any sort of heavy tongue weight (300+)....Unless Hyundai gets their act together.

Sorry for the rant but I feel your pain, someone previously tried lift bars but most responded that the body cannot take that sort of tension. It would be nice to use them notched up maybe one chain just to get the rear sag to come up a little.

Maybe a solution will be forth coming from aftermarket companies or even Hyundai.

Gary
    I have a guy from Valley Spring who is making a progressive rate rear coil for the rear. He states he has a template and has made numerous pairs for Hyundai owners facing the same issue. If it works I'll post it.

My RV dealer said that they found an airbag that will work after matching up specs, etc. If the rear springs don't work, that might be the way to go.
    Regarding the weight distribution system that someone tried earlier. Most unit body vehicles are able to handle a weight distribution system with a trailer in the 5000# range, primarily the Jeep Liberty. I wonder why Hyundai discourages its use?
    Could you post a link for the Valley Spring Co., cost could be considerable with labor? Under $500 could be ok. That would negate the cost savings of the Santa Fe which specs its towing capabilities.

I keep thinking of other vehicles which would have no problems with the tongue weight and they include a hitch with proper prewiring :' ) The air bag issue is not an option if you have to cut the upper bumper off, how the hell would you get it back on if the air bag didn't work?

It sure is great to have feedback on this issue.
    Valley Spring does not have a website. Their phone number is 1-800-287-2645. I have spoken with Bill. The company was referred by Trailer Supply Company out of Ontario, California. I also spoke with a recommended installer for these springs in Escondido, California. From what they are saying, it sounds like it will work or at least I will see major improvement. The springs are fabricated by Valley Spring, custom made so it is about a 2-3 week wait. They are progressive springs, without a load the ride will be similar to the factory springs, loaded they have a spring rate of 485# per inch. My price was $315.00 for the springs and I was quoted about $250.00 for the install. It's worth it to me if it works, I'm not looking at replacing this vehicle.

It's only been a week since I ordered them, so I don't have any other info. at this time. I'll let you know what happens.
    I also have several companies that have stated they can make a custom coilover shock for the vehicle. However, they need specs for the shock. They need a compressed length, extended length and measurements for the end mountings. Anyone interested in having their shock measurements taken. If so, please post measurements online.

I was quoted $98.00 for Gabriel coilover shocks by www.shockshopusa.com if I can provide specs on my factory shocks. I'll wait and see if anyone has specs before tearing into mine.
    BTW did you have an AWD Santa Fe?
    After re-reading your above posting, sounds like you might have measurements for the rear shocks. Could you pass those along, I would like to investigate as well. There may be some local company here in Southern California that can match the shock.
    No, it's the FWD version, but any measurements you have would be helpful
    I have misplaced them, when I find them I will pass it along.
  • heygoobheygoob Posts: 2
    gizzer777, thanks for the good info re: the Hyundai part number. I have been trying to locate an aftermarket wiring harness that will utilize the existing pre-wired pigtails without success. Called my dealership this morning and gave them the part number and was told, firstly that it was U8610 not UB610 and secondly, that it was not sold separately but only as part of the megabuck hitch and harness package 2B1000. Could you please provide the name and address of the dealer you bought your harness from so I can give them a try? Or at least show my dealer what other Hyundai dealers will do for their customers. Thanks in advance.
  • kdahlquistkdahlquist Posts: 130
    Here's a post I made in another thread:

"Hyundai has finally released a plug-in trailer wiring harness for the 07 Santa Fe. It is part number U8612-2B000. It's so new that my dealer didn't know it existed, and tried to tell me it didn't. They wanted to sell me part number U8614-2B000, which requires splicing. I told them to check with Hyundai, which they did, and surprise! I was right. The computer showed it in-stock in the warehouse, so I should have it in a few days. Retail price is $81.61."

I bought mine from Morrie's Hyundai in Minnetonka, Minnesota. It took them two days to get it. I installed it myself in about 15 minutes.

Here's the entire thread (see posts 11 and 13): james74, "How large a boat can I tow?" #1, 26 Jul 2006 7:59 am
  • gizzer777gizzer777 Posts: 335
    TYPO on my part...it is U8612-2B000,

but my harness instructions part# reads "Hyundai Sante fe Trailer Wiring Harness, part number U8610-2B100" (looks like they put the pkg part# on the harness only instructions!...very strange indeed)...Sorry but these old eyes.....(the 8 looked like a B at first glance)

I am in Nevada and had to get mine from Roseville Hyundai Calif (do not have their local addy but I found them on the net and called them) since my dealer tried to chg me $96 (A LITHIA MARKUP!!!) + tax and had to order it. Roseville Hyundai made it come out to $81 just for good will inc fgt and tax. They were really nice about it too. I would call around...surely another dealer would ship one...assuming they still sell it separately

And it DEFINITELY was available BY IT SELF. The actual dealer list is $81.61 ...it came in its own sealed factory box and neither my dealer or Roseville tried to stick it to me for the whole pkg....Ha $397 for a hitch pkg...that'l be the day. Many here tried to find a pair of connectors like that without success unless something has changed.By the time you get done and then add the converter box...it is worth it to just get the CORRECT hyundai part which includes the converter...stings a bit, but they can't bite your warrantee that way!!!

AND THANKS TO kdahlquist WHO SUPPLIED THE CORRECT PART# IN THE FIRST PLACE TO HELP ME OUT!
  • goldsuvgoldsuv Posts: 51
    When I was researching the Santa Fe to replace my Sorento, the online service manual said the tow package has self leveling shocks and special springs. Self leveling shocks take a short while to pump up. See http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m3012/is_9_183/ai_108098131
    The shocks are white, while the standards shocks are yellow. The base Santa Fe only has a towing cap. of only 1434 lbs. (from Hyundai website). Also the Liberty is BOF, not unibody. Its BOF which have had the higher towing cap.
    I talked to my local hyundai guys this past week and they said that the design cars were built with self levelizing springs and shocks but not the actual cars sold on the lot. Anyway, my 2007 Limited with Touring/Tow Package just has the regular shocks and springs. The shocks and springs have paint markings on them to designate the type, but they are overall black in color.
    From CarGurus on the 2007 Jeep Liberty. I'm not sure what to believe anymore.

http://www.cargurus.com/Cars/Overview-c6759-2007-Liberty.html

UniFrame construction, which combines body and frame into one unit, makes the Liberty tougher than its competitors who use the body-on-frame technique.
    Thanks for the diagram. I know the shock measurements are different, but the mounting measurements look the same.
  • heygoobheygoob Posts: 2
    Thanks again to you and to kdahlquist for getting the word out that there IS a harness available and especially what part number to ask for. My dealer had to order it but it came in the next day and when I went to pick it up the two parts guys were thanking ME for educating them about the part. One of them had told me 4 days ago that I had to buy the $397 hitch in order to get the harness and the labor to install both brought the total to about $650 cuz they had to "run wire all the way to the engine compartment"!! Guess they weren't appreciative enough that they could give a guy a break on the part though. Charged me $87.96 w/tax but would rather pay that for the plug and play convenience rather than splice or use the T-one connectors that require removing parts from the rear cargo area. I had a $159.00 Valley hitch installed yesterday and am pleased that it is hardly noticeable. Yes, I actually paid U-haul $30.00 labor to install 4 bolts but I feel less ashamed after watching the guy struggle with lining up the holes and trying to get the bolts to thread while burning his hands on the mufflers. I'll install this harness tomorrow morning and I'll be ready to tow. My installation instructions inside the box also call this harness part number U8610-2B100 even though the box is labeled U8612-2B000. No wonder the Hyundai parts guys are confused. Thanks again.
  • Glad it all worked out for you...That bit with the box having different part numbers than the instructions is really poor planning by Hyundai for the dealers and customers as well.

I used a small jack and 2x4 to get the bolt holes lined up...those hitches are heavy!to position the hitch correctly
  • Right now I tow a covered trailer with a harley inside. I think it's around 2,000lbs. My SF Limited does fine, I have the tow pkg. Transmission hunts a little bit, gas milage goes to 14 on the highway....but there's a lot of windage back there.

My question would be more concerned with getting that 3,000lb boat and trailer up the launch ramp!!!

Any experiences in this area?? AWD vs FWD??? What troubles do the FWD folks have??
  • I bought the AWD in large part for that very reason. I have a small boat (14' runabout with 40 horse OB), and we used to have trouble getting it out of the water with a 2005 Honda Odyssey minivan. You had to be very, very careful on the throttle to keep the tires from slipping on wet ramps, and sometimes needed one or two guys pushing to help things along. AWD spreads the torque among four wheels instead of two, and I have never had a problem getting the boat out with my Santa Fe.
  • Well, the progressive rate coil springs are on the Santa Fe. There is no ride difference with normal highway driving; increases rear end by about 1 1/4 inches. It does not present a problem for the front end. My travel trailer has a tongue weight of 500#. My Santa Fe still has some rear end sag but that was expected with the weight of the trailer tongue. I took the trailer for a test run and there was a big difference. Less jerking and bounce from the trailer. I would recommend uprgrading springs to others who have a tongue weight of 300# or less. I think you will see a big difference in upgrading your rear coil springs. The install was $80.00 at Macs Springs in Highland, California. They did a great job and kept the old springs for me in case I ever need them.

If you call Valley Spring (see the above posting) ask them for someone in your area that could install them. Bill at Valley Spring recommended a couple of shops that sell his companies springs, also Big O Tire. I went with the spring shop, it was cheaper by a couple hundred dollars. Total cost of the springs and install, $430.00. I was pleased with the result.
  • That's a great result. I am a little confused about recommending them for those who have tongue weights of 300# or less. Wouldn't these be for those who have tongue weights of 300# or more?

Is there a part number for those springs? Also with a 1 1/4" rear ride height increase does the Santa Fe look funny "jacked up" and do the headlights throw the same distance?

Keep up the great info :-)
  • No, the Hyundai looks the same, I think better. I thought the rear end was too low with the stock springs. The springs are for anyone wanting more rear end support and less sag. They are progressive springs that get stiffer with increased weight on the back end, in our case a trailer tongue. I think for anyone experiencing any kind of sag due to a heavy sag would find these helpful. Although the Santa Fe has a tow capacity of 350/3500, I think those are inflated numbers. So, the springs help with the weight and gets my vehicle closer to level. That's about all I can tell you.
  • Sorry, you also asked about a part number and if the headlights are any different. No difference as far as I can tell. You can't tell the vehicle is a little higher in the end unless you get out a measuring tape. No part number, the coils are made by a company near Sacramento. You tell them the vehicle, VIN number and they fabricate the coils. I told the guy at Valley Springs that I would provide feedback to others if they worked. I was happy with them, so I am glad to pass the information along to you.

Valley Springs was recommended by a trailer supply company and I talked to the recommended installer prior to ordering. The installer said that he has been very happy with the coils that Valley Springs makes. On the day of installation, I told the installer who I was and where I had gotten the springs. He didn't even need to see them. He said if Valley Springs made them they would work. And they did.
  • I notice I keep stating "springs." These are progressive rate rear "coil" springs to replace the factory springs on the Santa Fe. The spring rate for my Valley Springs is 485# per inch. See earlier posts for Valley Springs contact information if interested. I feel much better about my Santa Fe as a tow vehicle after installing these springs.
  • I have an '07 Santa Fe 3.3l 2wd. I am thinking of buying a small travel trailer (not a Pop-up) that would probably have a tongue wieght of #300. I have read earlier posts on sagging problems in the rear. My question is: Has anyone really tried a W/D? I know it probably would void the warrenty but is the unibody chassis so weak it could not take a slight distribution of weight?
    Thanks for any help...