Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jeep Grand Cherokee Gauges

Comments

• srushiasrushia Posts: 6
    Fixed it. I'm embarrassed to say it was only dirty battery terminals and clamps. I had cleaned them once, but after getting the battery checked, twice, I cleaned them until they shined!!! Now everything is working properly again. Starts every time and no more intermittent issues!

I must have read almost everything related to my issue in this forum and I appreciate all the help.

Later,
    Scott
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 40,813
    Maybe, just maybe, when you cleaned them the second time you pulled on one of the battery cables just enough to make a better connection at the other end?

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Could be, but I'll tell ya, the positive clamp had a very dark coating that took some elbow grease to clean. Not only did I use a wire brush, but I had to use a file to remove the coating, it was on there really good, and thick. The negative clamp was easy to clean, it shined right up. That's what made me take a double look at the positve clamp and continue to clean it enough to make it shine. Now I have a nice tight fit with clean terminals & clamps. Starts right up every time!

Later,
    Scott
  • georgedageorgeda Posts: 7
    Please explain more about the battery temp. sensor. I was wondering what it was when I cleaned the battery tray. I hope a little water and baking soda didn't hurt it.
  • tuggajbtuggajb Posts: 646
    Bat temp sencor is used to control charge rate when batt is cold holds back high charge rate till batt is warmed up

should not have hurt it by cleaning
    It's very easy to check if it's still good. Just remove it and using an ohmmeter measure the resistance of the sensor across the 2 terminals of the sensor connector. At 75-80F the sensor resistance should be between 9,000-11,000 ohms. If not, relace it.
    Scott
  • jeepwife1jeepwife1 Posts: 1
    Here was my experience with the "check engine light" episode. Took our car in for some minor recall thing. When I picked it up, on the way home got the check engine light. I called the dealer, mad as a hornet, told them what happened and demanded to know what they did to my vehicle, thinking they had prepped me for more money. Here is what I was told by the FEMALE TECH who checked me in and out. When you put gas in your vehicle, replace the cap - turn it at least several times so you get a bunch of clicks and she told me that it may take several fillups before this will correct itself. Sounds pretty stupid but, Low and behold - it actually worked. No more check engine light. All I can say is try it!
  • rodeoboyrodeoboy Posts: 8
    First off, what year, make model? If it is a Cherokee around 2000 vintage what do you call overheating? The engine compartments are small and if it has the 4.0L six, those run normal around 220 degrees. It's not overheating if it does not surpass that and you usually don't see even that unless you are sitting in traffic. The air bag light should be looked at by the dealer. It probably just needs a re-set.

Rodeoboy
  • acyracyr Posts: 3
    I have just purchased a 2005 jeep grand cherokee and have only had it for almost a month.

While driving along one day all of a sudden all the lights on the instrument panel lit up and blinked for a few seconds, then they went out. Almost like it experienced a power surge of sorts.

It seems to run fine, I haven't noticed any loss of power or starting problems. But it just happened again for the third time, and before I take it in I wondered if anyone ever had this happen to them before? If so was it an indication of a larger problem?
  • Please help!
    My Infinity 2004 I35 SLIP, TCS off, ABS, AIR BAG lights are ON after a wreck. Car has less than 14000 miles on and only driver seat air bag was deployed but it was not replace. I replace the complete front left suspension system. How could I reset all or some of these lights? Please help! Thank you!
    :cry:
  • rlarla Posts: 1
    I've had my Jeep for the last 2 years and mine started with the same problems that you speak of about 3 months ago. I've taken it to the dealer 4-5 times but they can't find anything wrong with it. Also around the same time, it wouldn't crank until about the 5th time that you turned the ignition on. Sounded like the battery but they said that it was fine too! Really frustrating..
  • tuggajbtuggajb Posts: 646
    when happens try to wiggle the key a little
    sounds as if you have a ignition switch going bad
  • stallkampstallkamp Posts: 3
    same thing is happening to me and everytime I tell the dealership and bring it in, they tell me that it passed "all the codes"; just took it in yesterday and the funny thing was, it happened on the way home! It happens a couple of times each month
  • n0otron0otro Posts: 12
    The "check gages" light has been coming on with increasing frequency for the past several months on our 1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo, until the point today when I was sitting in traffic and it was blinking on and off about every minute or two. We had our mechanic check it out and he said it was nothing, not to worry about it. All the levels [coolent/oil etc] are fine. Even if it is nothing, it's still pretty annoying hearing it beep on every minute. What could the problem possibly be?

Thanks for your help
  • spmdet11spmdet11 Posts: 1
    I have a 98 Grand Cherokee and I need to troubleshoot this problem. The plunger switchs are not getting power and I need to know where they get power from. Problem is not in tailgate. Interior lights do not go on when the gate is lifted but go on when you manually turn on the rear light.
  • has anyone ever had this problem,and how was it taken care of. Thanks for your help.carman 75
  • 604doc604doc Posts: 182
    Do you notice anything else on the dash not working when the airbag light is on? When my '98 was doing it, I also lost the tach, and the other gages just froze in place. I'm asking because there is a fix for that, but it wouldn't be the same fix for just the airbag light.
  • tkrietkrie Posts: 3
    My 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee air bag light comes on and pings, occasionally. I have read it might be fuse contact or the clockspring. Does anyone else have an idea?
  • joe454joe454 Posts: 3
    Hi, I would be interested in this repair. I have the same problem. gages hit zero or freeze in place and airbag light comes on. I hear its a problem up under the dash but, where to look? Thanks, Joe
    Hi Joe,
    Yeah, the problem is in the dash. There are a couple of technical service bulletins from Jeep on this issue. To fix the problem, you have to remove the dash cluster, (not as hard as it sounds), and clean the pins on the cluster that slide into the connector that goes to the rest of the wiring. Light corrosion builds up on the pins, causing the intermittent problem. You may have noticed that when it's acting up, a good smack on the dash will cure it temporarily. I cleaned mine a couple months ago, and haven't seen the problem since. But, it usually acted up more when it was cold outside, so I won't know for sure till about January. So far though, it's been fine. A decent manual will tell you how to remove the cluster. Good luck!
    Nelson
    Thanks Nelson, My Ford Ranger bit the dust and of course out of the deal my wife got a new car and I took over her 98 Cherokee. Strange thing is, now shes wondering why NOW I try to fix all the little problems. Thanks, Again. Joe

PS, great site here...
  • brown21brown21 Posts: 1
    I have a 96 GC that failed inspection because the Check Engine Light is not illuminated when you turn the ignition switch during initial start up. I figure the bulb may possibly be bad. How do you access the cluster of bulbs behind the dash and can you do this without removing the dash to check for a bad bulb?
    Keep me posted on how it works out for you.
    thanks, will do.
  • 03jgcl03jgcl Posts: 3
    I have a 2003 jgc larado the check engine light will come on and sometimes go right back off. Sometimes when it comes on the jeep will kinda stall. When I let off the gas sometimes it will cut out, but always starts right back on the first try. Could this be the throttle position sensor?
  • Well anyone have any ideas?
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    Have a look at Edmunds.com - Maintenance Popup.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper