Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru Crew - Meet The Members

Comments

• paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    You can go up to the 80/100w bulbs w/o a problem on the subies/isuzus. I deal with a great guy Ken @ susquehana motorsports in PA. http://catalog.com/susq/index.htm He is extremely helpful. He sells Hella bulbs and all kinds of stuff (I bought horns to upgrade my wimpy Isuzu and subaru horns).

The PIAA bulbs i've been told really are bad in the snow, probably because they are brighter, and the brighter your lights in the snow, the more reflection from the flakes you will get. A more yellow light (like true fog lights) cuts the fog/snow better.

I'm going to use the PIAAs in the summer, and switch to the Hella Optiluxs in the winter. The Optilux doesn't seem to provide any bluer light than stock, but are much brighter. The hellas are also brighter than the PIAAs on low beam, but the PIAAs are brighter on high beam.

-mike
  • kate5000kate5000 Member Posts: 1,271
    For people with sensitive eyes (like myself) visors are really helpful. I wear strong sunglasses as well, but I'll feel bad w/o visors. However, I actually like them cut as they are, so everybody has own preferences.

Mary's wishlist is pretty good, although I personally like frameless door glass now. When I bought my first Soob, I also felt bad for having no frame, but over time it grew on me, and now I regard framed windows as too heavy and unappealing.

I do concur about need to get back an auto up/down for driver's window (and passenger's one would be nice too).

And since Subaru is far (yet) from being a prestige car, the only way for them to attract a wider market is to keep being a good value, i.e. a lot of features for reasonable cost. I remember my first Subaru (Loyale wagon) back in 1992: it had EVERYTHING, I mean everything I could dream of back then: A/T, A/C, power everything, central lock, cruise... and cost under $10K. I would have never bought a Subaru back then if it was not for low cost.
  • gearhead4gearhead4 Member Posts: 122
    You are correct that the dehumidifying effect of the AC running does improve defogging immensely.

What bothers me is, even when I turn the temperature up all the way, the temperature of the air blowing in my face is ice cold until the engine warm up. This is the last thing I want when the temperature outside is 35 degrees.

And after the engine warms up, the defogger will still be able to clear the windshield even without the AC compressor. (It you don't believe this, turn your hair drier on to your steamed up mirror in the bathroom, the air going into the hair drier is moist, but the heated glass (mirror) will cause moisture to evaporate. I lived for years with cars with no AC, and the defogger always worked after the engine got a little warm.

But you are correct about the majority of drivers not knowing what to do, so the manufacturers made a fair decision. I still wish I could reprogram the AC so it would come on only when I want it to.

-gearhead
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    I'm finally back. Took hours to catch up and read all the posts, you guys (and gals) have been busy!

I must be the only one that likes the "mushy" brakes. Then again, my previous car had no ABS and touchy brakes, so lockups were all too common.

Welcome to all the new owners, remember to e-mail me photos if you'd like to be added to my web site.

evercruise: I would not recommend a Subaru for a full time 1000 pound load if that does not include the driver. Payload is about 1000 pounds, so unless you're weightless, you'd be going over the limit on a regular basis. At least consider a small trailer for the load (what're you carrying, lead?).

I had a license bracket idea: buy any cheap, black cover, and mount it backwards behind the license plate instead of in front of it. Just my 2 cents'.

Sorry, Legacy fans, but I think when SoA stated sales of the Legacy line, that included Outback sales. Oh well, maybe with an H-6 VDC GT ;)

BTW, I helped Darlene put up a web site for QSubaru. Finally she has some web presence. Check out the prices, too, and when you take into consideration she never charges for shipping in the US, subaru-parts.com has their work cut out for them.

She didn't pay me, though. Instead, we agreed that I would get some free accessories that I would try out and post instructions for, a "guinea pig", if you will.

That's win-win. Free to me. Site for her. You guys get free instructions and first-hand comments. Subaru Crew Scores!

-juice
  • locke2clocke2c Member Posts: 5,038
    What bothers me is, even when I turn the temperature up all the way, the temperature of the
    air blowing in my face is ice cold until the engine warm up. This is the last thing I want when the temperature outside is 35 degrees.

You have just described a perfectly normal heating system in any motor vehicle, whether or not it is using the AC compressor to dehumidify. The heater core is like a small second radiator when the the fan motor is going full blast, and this takes the engine longer to warm up. Of course the heat isn't hot until it's warm-- simple water temperature. Resist the urge to turn the fan motor on at ALL until the temperature needle begins to move. Then go maybe to setting 2. After the needle is in the normal range then go full blast.

Sorry, but that's the way they work.

-Colin
  • gtdrivergtdriver Member Posts: 67
    When the defroster button is set, doesn't the air, whether it's cold or otherwise, blow only onto the windshield via the vents up on top? I don't think it blows out the dash-front vents.

As far as my visor related comments; I will apologize for my obnoxious missives. I must have lapsed into a road-rage-like stupor thinking about the numerous times I have been forced to slam on the brakes at highway speed to avoid a logjam of cars created by the panic of those fumbling for and squinting around their visors during a rush-hour sunset. I was also incited by the growing list of preposterous wish-list requests (like an annoying "cruise on" light in the dash display) that will serve only to overshadow the few items that are logical and genuinely needed. But I promise to be more civil in the future, and for the record, license plate frames and Scooby-Doo stickers are cool (as long as you don't call your car the "Mystery Machine"). And my wife is only 5'3", so I can appreciate the differences in ergonomics from person to person.
  • amishraamishra Member Posts: 367
    Hey, that sounds like a cool name. I think I'll call my OB the "Mystery machine" :)

(just doing it to bug you gtdriver!)

ash
    ...even though you all are probably sick of me, but:
    1) Legacies do have one-touch-window-down buttons, and used to have the one-touch-up feature. As much as I miss it, I have to admit it was a dangerous luxury, and holding a button for two seconds isn't exactly sweat-inducing labor.
    2) Framed windows have some advantages, but I think frameless is pretty cool. You just have to keep your window gaskets clean and treated to avoid wind noise as they age.
    3) Kate, you forgot the best value-added-feature-for-the-same-money item on every Subaru vs. its respective competition: AWD.
    Legacies compare pricewise pretty favorably to Accords, Altimas, Camrys, 626's, etc. Factor in the "beauty of all wheel drive" and the Legacy's top rating in the IIHS offset crash test, and it's really no comparison to the educated consumer.

Remember, as Rodney King once said, "Can't we all just get along?"
    "Mystery Machine" is a perfect name for your Outback because it's a mystery why anybody would drive an Outback when they could be driving a GT! As my 6-year-old says, "I'm rubber, you're glue, what you say to me bounces off and sticks to you!
    Nah nah nah nah nah).
  • davechendavechen Member Posts: 41
    ...but here goes on why *I* chose the Outback over the Legacy:
    limited slip differential
    extra ground clearance
    more distinct appearance

I have used the first two when offroading, and the first while up in snow country.

I like the appearance. People do notice & spot Outbacks easily, and while I don't particularly care what other people think, I do like not getting completely lost in a sea of similar-looking vehicles =)

That said, if handling is what you are looking for, the lower slung Legacy with sport suspension certainly will outdo and Outback ;)

Dave
  • barresa11barresa11 Member Posts: 277
    in Seattle, I do get lost in a sea of OB's and wouldn't with a GT. Doesn't affect my purchase decision though. Purchased it w/the same criteria as you otherwise.

Stephen
    Juice: gtdriver is making fun of my OB!! :)
  • aakersonaakerson Member Posts: 71
    Just got back from a wonderful but too-short vacation in the Northwest -- Portland, Seattle, Victoria, BC. Was delighted to find that I could rent an Outback from Dollar Rent-a-car. It of course performed trouble-free all weekend in rain and sun, pavement and gravel. Had almost 19K miles on it. I rent cars a lot on business, and if you get an American car with this many miles, watch out -- things will be loose, frayed, sagging, etc. Not so with the Subaru.

We have two 2000 OB's in our garage at home, so familiarity was an added benefit of renting an OB. Sure was nice to feel comfortable and familiar with the car -- when we were in a part of the country we have absolutely NO familiarity with. Kind of reassuring.

Dollar rent-a-car in both Portland (where we picked it up) and Seattle (where we dropped it off) was helpful and friendly -- and delighted to learn we chose them because they chose Subaru.

One other note to those of you who live in the region where we were last weekend. Not only is your choice in cars great (Subarus rule!) but your area is great, and so are the people. We're from St. Louis, and it was wonderful to be where the temperature was 65-70 instead of 95-100 (yeah, I know you all had a heat wave a few weeks ago, but we won't mention that.)
  • grugrugrugru Member Posts: 20
    Shoulda been around this past weekend in SE Oregon. Me, wife, dog and cousin loaded up the forester (01S) to join friends with their dog and 98 OB. They brought two bikes on the rack. Not to be outdone, we threw a 17' canoe on top and a 14' Chamberlin dory/skiff on a utility trailer behind. We had room to spare, barely, inside - but I suppose we coulda thrown lots more on the roof under the boat.

About 50% highway speed (that's 75+) and 50% SR/dirt road driving - car performed beautifully. Was a tad sluggish going up one of the 2-mile 7% grades, but so was everything else. Anyone else experience loud trailer rattle (stinger and receiver or ball and hitch-related, I think) with the stock Subaru equipment?

BTW, the heated seats are great for long trips, I kid you not.

jg
    Did you see a lot of Subaru's on the road in and around Seattle? I constantly see myself coming and going, but with a car as great as my OB, it just reaffirms my decision! Glad you enjoyed the NW. I hope you didn't get caught in any of our traffic in Seattle...that could be a sour note in your vacation plans. :-) I didn't know that Dollar Rent-a-car was renting Soobs...cool! Were you in Seattle for the 4th of July fireworks? We have two, one over Lake Union and one over Elliot Bay (Puget Sound) that go off simultaneously. The trick is to be at a vantage point to catch both of them!
  • bg18947bg18947 Member Posts: 184
    I too chose a GT over a Outback because I can't stand the two-tone paint and the stupid looking round fog lights which don't go with the other lines of the car. To correct Dave Chen, the GT does offer LSD. Don't compare it to the L. But, I do think the L is the best value, period. Two-tone paint is U-G-L-Y! I hate all SUVs with the paint scheme and feel that all those with such a paint scheme must be over 60.

GT Rocks! Sort of, just missing some ponies!
    ...tell us how you really feel. Would you like a SUS with faux convertible roof and wide whitewall tires instead of the raised white letters?
  • aakersonaakerson Member Posts: 71
    To respond to BARRESSA11'S e-mail re our recent OB vacation in the Northwest US -- had no problem with Seattle rain, or Seattle traffic for that matter. Favorite stop there -- Elliott Bay Bookstore -- it's almost as good as Powell's in Portland.

Did not stay for the fireworks; we had to fly home the morning of July 4. But my son, who lives there, did take us to a park overlooking the bay and presenting a postcard photo opportunity of the Space Needle. You probably know the park -- it's in the Queen Anne neighborhood or thereabouts.

Also ... is that statue of Lenin REALLY for sale, or is that just something Seattle-ites tell gullible Midwesterners?

and, yes, we saw Outbacks coming and going -- but that;s much nicer than having to deal with all the SUVs, minivans and pickups that we are afflicted with here in St. Louis. And it's really odd, how none of those vehicles come with lane-change signals.
  • davechendavechen Member Posts: 41
    BG, I'm vaguely getting the impression that you feel strongly against the 2-tone paint =) Ouch, 60?! Me, my best buddy, 2 co-workers of my brother, and soon my brother, all will have OBs. I guess we're old farts at (average) 33.

I think that the 2000 Outback's sandy metallic-colored plastic door panels & bumpers are a huge step up from the previous model years' simple extra coating of paint (sorry, don't mean to offend owners of older OBs). The new two-layer 'panels' actually protect the car and alter (I would say, improve) the appearance/shape, rather than just masking that inevitable lower body dirt & scum you get from driving in snowy areas or offroad.
    We have a 2000 white OB, which I think looks GREAT with the sandy metallic panels. The white appears larger than darker color OBs.
    People notice the OB look, because it is unique.

I think the foglights are fine.

Thanks for correcting me on the LSD for the GT.

To each their own, eh? ;)
    Dave
  • dzartmandzartman Member Posts: 112
    Hehehe...evilly, I can see some funky emails coming out of this, but I just have to put in my two cents worth about GT Legacys vs the Outback.

First off, I dig the GT. Anyone who has gone to sites such as http://jprova.co.jp or
    http://www.zerosports.co.jp
    can see how a Legacy can look fully decked out to handle the road. That said, consider this: I can take my Legacy Outback and put in the parts,
    better tires, anti-sway bar, whatever, and it'll handle just as well as a GT, but I can STILL go off road. Legacy GT drivers can't easily go up into the cool woods, away from hot asphalt, cops, and maniac red light runners. Cos in my opinion, if I wanted a road handling car, I wouldn't buy a wagon, I'd get a coupe, like the Impreza RS. 500lbs less weight and massive after market parts to make it rip. I suppose the counter argument is, GT owners don't have to put out the cash to make our rides grip the road. As far as I can tell, GT drivers get a lower stance/"sport" suspension, vs the raised suspension of the OB. Engine is the same 2.5L putting out 165 horses as the OB. With 17" wheels and 55 series tires, plus my Stromung exhaust system and K&N filter, I'd wager that my OB would handle close to as well as yours, with more power.

As for disliking the two-tone paint, well, I like chocolate ice cream but my best friend hates it. All a matter of preference.

I cheerfully accept all flamez at: dzartman@hotmail.com

Subie fan--all models,

Dave

Subaru page:
    http://www.wave.net/diveguy/Dave
  • locke2clocke2c Member Posts: 5,038
    I don't go for two-tone myself but I'm a very drab sort of person. I've owned 3 black vehicles, 1 charcoal grey, and my Impreza RS is silver. I think I'll go risque' on my next vehicle and it might be white. Or blue if I'm really feeling saucy.

I didn't own my first red shirt until a year ago, and I think my wife picked it out. Oh, and I'm 24 so it's not age.

-Colin
  • 2ndwnd2ndwnd Member Posts: 145
    >>...much nicer than having to deal with all the
    SUVs, minivans and pickups that we are afflicted
    with here in St. Louis. And it's really odd, how
    none of those vehicles come with lane-change
    signals. <<

Too true. Well, now it's my turn to get out of St. Louis for awhile, but we'll be driving out in our Legacy L Wagon. 1600+ miles round trip to Colorado Springs. Not bringing the lap top, so I'll post about the trip in about a week. You all be good while I'm gone.

Dave #274
  • lucien2lucien2 Member Posts: 2,984
    My OB is pretty tossable as it is. I admit that the GT does a bit better on the skidpad, but not enough to grant anyone major bragging rites, IM little old HO. I'm with dave; drive like hell and haul my crud in my OB (including that 18" of snow last winter), or bomb around the track in an RS.

SO why do I insist in bombing around the track in the OB? Cos I'm not right :)
    Just how far into the "cool woods" do you plan to go with the extra 1 1/2" of ground clearance your Outback has over the GT. Have you ever noticed that even Paul Hogan doesn't venture beyond dirt roads and the occasional puddle in the TV spots?
    I hope you opted for as many skid plates as you can put on a Legacy.
  • aling1aling1 Member Posts: 225
    1.5" of ground clearance may not seem like much, but it makes a big difference off-road when that extra clearance means getting high centered or hitting something underneath.

More ground clearance is also nice when driving in snow since you may actually be able to clear the white stuff rather than drag the undercarriage around in it. Extra ground clearance is why I prefer my ML in the snow (with 8.4" of clearance) rather than my E320 4-matic with just under 6" of clearance (this car BTW, with Bridgestone Blizzak winter tires, is better than ML in the snow as far as handling goes).

Drew
  • iscottsiscotts Member Posts: 28
    ...must actually have an inferiority complex - saying that 1 1/2" is no big deal confirmed my opinion!
  • abhidharmaabhidharma Member Posts: 93
    I guess size does matter!
    Good comeback Iscotts!

"Did not stay for the fireworks; we had to fly home the morning of July 4. But my son, who lives
    there, did take us to a park overlooking the bay
    and presenting a postcard photo opportunity of the
    Space Needle. You probably know the park -- it's
    in the Queen Anne neighborhood or thereabouts.
    Also ... is that statue of Lenin REALLY for sale,
    or is that just something Seattle-ites tell gullible Midwesterners?"

I know the park, but forgot the name. The view from there would be what you would see from "Frasier's" condo balcony (reality vs fiction). also heard that the Lenin statue is for sale but not sure if it's really true. One of the more gullible tales that we tell out-of-towners (really out)is that the view of the Olympic mountains across Puget Sound is really Alaska. You'd be surprised at how many people believe this! We also tell people that it's sunny here a lot until we find out that they want to move here, then it's like "it rains here a helluva lot!" It's too bad that you missed the fireworks. They are considered some of the best 4th of July display in the nation. Next time you come out this way, you'll have to check out the Experience Music Project. I haven't yet but am waiting for the crowds to die down.

To gtdriver: 1 1/2 inch is a lot of difference when you are talking ground clearance (& other unmentionables). Aling1 spelled it out nicely.

I'm glad you like your GT, just tread lightly when nearly dissing OB's. :-)

As a side note, I don't normally care for 2-tone schemes either but found the OB to be palatable. I especially like the beefier cladding below and really dig the foglights (I'm no where near 60, thank you for that lame generalization). I think the foglights on the GT seem like afterthoughts (like, see we've got these spaces here in the bumper! I know let's fill w/foglights, dude!)

Last note: Sorry Mike S., meant no malice toward your sweet green machine.

Stephen
  • armac13armac13 Member Posts: 1,129
    the ageism! I'm 52 and constantly amazed that I survived youth. I strongly dislike the 2-tone look, one of the reasons for choosing gold for my "S" (it almost seems 1-toned ;-)). And mine is bigger than any of yours (clearance that is) - so there!

Ross
    And I'm sure that the 2/10 of an inch has been exaggerated to great portions. :-)

Stephen (sorry, had to that for the female contingency of the Crew)
  • 2ndwnd2ndwnd Member Posts: 145
    >>It's too bad that you missed the fireworks. They are considered some of the best 4th of July display in the nation.<<

Don't feel too bad. Most people don't know that St. Louis has one of the largest Fourth of July celebrations in the nation. Fair St. Louis is three days of parades, music, sports, airshows, food, drink, and fireworks all three nights, with a HUGE display the last night. This year just as the grand finale started, an unannounced guest flew over the arch, a Steath Bomber!

Dave
    GTDriver,

I did put the Subaru skid plate on my Outback. It's cheaper than the aluminum versions by about $100 and bolts right up. There's also a front aluminum plate as well:
    http://www.writerguy.com/primitive/
    or
    http://home.cdsnet.net/~zastava/home.html

The plate save me some possible damage on my last jaunt off road. Check my web page for photos of my off-road excursions in south east Oregon (another Northwest resident here!) as well as a text of my door-damaging dirt-road experience outside of Seattle.
    http://www/wave.net/diveguy/Dave

I found that the biggest problem while offroad is angle of approach and departure. On some 'V' shaped creek bed crossings, the nose and then the tail of my OB would scrape. I had to pile rocks in a couple of those crossing so my wheels would stay higher and avoid the scraping. All in all though, the higher clearance is definitely helpful off paved roads.

Dave
    Don't know if you know this, but you should always approach dry river/creek bed crossings at an angle. This way, you won't have as much of a problem with the approach/departure angles. But, be careful because the 4 wheel independent suspension becomes a disadvantage (LSD would be very helpful here) in this situation. Also, the AWD system may abruptly shift power from front to back (one disadvantage of a non-permanent ratio AWD system), so be careful on loose surfaces and tight quarters.

Drew
  • nvynvy Member Posts: 74
    St.Louis. Years ago now, but fell for my first
    Subie over @ Meyer Pontiac Honda Subaru in
    Belleville, Ill. I wonder if they are still around?

Yep, St.Lo is ok.
    Light Rail, time for a visit.
    Sho me five Ya'll.

Hey, the two tone paint is ok. Got to give those
    Folks out @ the plant something creative to do
    for time to time. It gives the car a pronounce
    flash, yet its not over stated or anything. Just
    take a look @ some other new designs out there.

Welcome Back Juice!
  • luckyrollover1luckyrollover1 Member Posts: 14
    i love the 2 tone paint timberline/gold and the fog lights. i have had it 1 week and the odometer is at 937-bought it at 67. now my dad and sister want to buy one. yessir people in the know go for subies!!!
    i was hoping to only put 1000 miles a month on the car but i can't help myself.
    tomorrow i give my baby her first bath!!!
  • nvynvy Member Posts: 74
    Have a great vacation.

We will keep an eye on you at (WWW.pikespeakcam.com).
    So you be good too.
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    Well, I hate 2 tone as well (that's why I wouldn't get an OB, and why I opted for the LS model of Trooper)

As for offroad, last weekend I had a chance to do a head to head comparison of the OB v. Trooper. My cousin and I took her OB, and my Trooper up a few trails and through a sand quarry.

Results....

The OB went everwhere my trooper did, although we had to walk her through a few rock climbs and she barely made it over em due to the angle of approach/departure. Other than that, she was able to go further down the trail cause of the size of the outback v. the trooper (she made a 1000 point turn to make a U-turn, I had to back out of the trail)

In the sand quarry, I took the trooper through and did some donuts, the extra power helped me keep going, while the OB in the tight turns almost came to a hault. The OB was able to do some nice 4 wheel drifts, whereas the trooper would probably roll if I did the manuvers I did with the OB.

So all in all I was impressed with the OB performance offroad. I'd suggest front and rear skid plates for any offroading, the trooper had em standard, but they would be excellent items for the OB.

-mike
  • p0926p0926 Member Posts: 4,423
    The drive thru Kansas and eastern Colorado (400 plus miles) has got to be one of the most boring stretches of highway in the U.S.
    I drove a Passat yesterday again. (I do this occassionally just to refresh my memory as to why I bought a '00 OB).

There's nothing the Passat has on the Legacy or Outbacks. Yes, it has slightly better handling & slightly better acceleration. (Notice the word slightly -- it's a small differential)

But take a look at its interior -- looks like VW decided as an afterthought, "hey maybe we should tack on an interior, and some power windows and things like that." The ergonomics are horrible.

Up here in Canada, the warranty is only 2 years/40,000 kms and 5 years/80,000 kms. Pathetic. Worst in the business.

I'm quite pleased with my choice (again!).

Okay, enough Passat bashing.

Hmm... OB vs. Legacy GT, you say? Let me pull out my notes :)

-- ash
  • befishmanbefishman Member Posts: 8
    I've been on the move and am only now back on-line and able to report with pleasure that I am driving my new Forester 2001 S, Silver with premium package. And I love it, love it! The dealership threw in the cargo compartment cover at no charge (along with the hood deflector and a price reduction) to compensate for their goof ups during the shipping/delivery phase so I ended up with an incredible deal on this amazing car. Its a manual transmission and handles all the dirt/gravel roads in my neck of the woods with aplomb. It's beautiful! My husband, owner of a very sweet 1999.5 Nissan Pathfinder, keeps begging for my keys!

Thanks, Juice, for the link to QSubaru which is sure to come in handy in the future. I've already inquired after the cargo net, which the dealership wanted nearly $100 for...BTW, what is involved in installing the cargo net? Dealership says it requires a trip to service to install hooks or some such in the rear cargo area. Who has done this and what does it take?

Thanks all! Beth
    Drew, thanks for the off-road driving tip! And Paisan, thanks for the post, that sounded like a fun afternoon for all participants!

Dave
  • mcj13mcj13 Member Posts: 85
    Getting a little raucous are we? Since I'm pretty thin skinned, I'll just sit back and enjoy the entertainment.

Mary
  • FrankMcFrankMc Member Posts: 228
    I just got a notice from Subaru that they are changing the terms of their credit cards. It used to be 5% of your charges up to $750 per year, you had 5 years to use the credits. You could only use the credits for buying or leasing a new Subaru.
    This is the same deal that GM and Ford were offering at the time, Ford discontinued theirs and GM now tells you how much you can use depending upon model. Anyway, Subaru's was much better than theirs so I guess I shouldn't have been surprised that they cut their points back. The new detailes are as follows:
    You will get a voucher in December for how many of the old points you have built up. This voucher will expire on Dec 31, 2003. You then will get new points at a 3% rate starting in December. Every time you build up $100 you will get a voucher (max of 5 per year). The vouchers will be good for 4 years. However, you can use the new vouchers for service (on a Subaru) or purchase of Subaru products at a Subaru dealer, not just the purchase of a new car. If you purchase $75 of maintenance you don't get change back from your $100 coupon.
  • iscottsiscotts Member Posts: 28
    Thanks for the info Frank. At least now you can get value by using your card even if you don't buy a Subaru down the road. However, I'm a little disappointed by the fact that you don't get change from a voucher (no use for oil changes etc.).

5% was an extremely good deal, and while it is always tough when they change the plan, 3% is still pretty good. I won't cut my (new!) card up.
    You're welcome. For more good off-roading tips, visit this page and watch the video.

I suggest that you start from the "Winter Driving" segment onwards, as the first part of the video is rather basic. The part about airing the tires down to 10 psi is not applicable to your vehicle though, since its passenger car tires carry much less air volume than the large SUV tires. 15-20 psi would be safer and more suitable for the Outback.

Just to clarify my previous tip, approach a log, ridge, rocky step or ditch at an angle. This will also allow 3 tires to push the vehicle past the obstacle.

Tread lightly! :-)
    Drew
  • FrankMcFrankMc Member Posts: 228
    and it was great while it lasted.
  • rich97223rich97223 Member Posts: 3
    Hello everyone. I bought my 2001 Forester L 5/20/00. So far so good - 29mpg- most of the time in mixed driving with 1564 miles on the odometer.

I have been watching the Subaru topics and have seen many questions about the new cars coming out.

Subaru sponsers the Gorge Games in Hood River, Oregon. They began in the late PM on 7/7/00.

I really like driving around the country side and decided to see if Subaru might have any of the coming cars displayed at the games. (I was hopeing for the STX) I found the LLBean and snapped some pictures of it and some others before opening time. The Subaru guy opened the hood for me and let me have free rein. See the pictures here

http://www.fototime.com/inv/1DD048899BF7468DAC59CDBFDBA63E8E/C48BA987C9

This is a first time posting of pics on the web. I thing I have it figured so that I won't bomb anyone's mailbox with huge files.

rich@aadial.com
  • skipdskipd Member Posts: 97
    Wow.....it is so tough keeping up with this board!

Rich....enjoyed the pics. That H-6 sure is pretty with the cover on it. Like you, I have a 2001 Forester. I just bought a digital camera myself and will be looking to post some pics very soon in the same manner that you have. I have noticed that some people have embedded pictures right in to this board, however, I haven't been able to figure out how it is done (Any pointers?).

Juice - I'm planning on taking some pics of my Forester for your website tomorrow. I will Email them as soon as I can.

Take care everyone,

Skip
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    For embedding pictures try the following:

img scr=NAME OF FILE

Put a < before, and a > after the above formula. You need to have a space between the "img" and the "scr=". Leave no other blank spaces in the title. I think(?) that will work.

I think you have to save the file as a jpg image.

Bob
    Is it just me or do the H6 wheels look less ugly in Rich's pictures compared to the ones in the online brochure and autoshow pictures? I think that I still like the regular Outback wheels better though.

On another note, the H6's interior looks great!! I'd say that it will be a worth competitor to the Passat 4-motion wagon. Normally I don't like the split wood/leather steering wheels (e.g. the one in the '01 QX4 is hideous and made of plastic bird's eye maple), but this is one of the rare occasions that the combination works and complements the interior, making it look like it should belong in a more expensive vehicle. There are no MOMO markings on the wheel, but the leather is textured, giving the wheel a sportier feel.

The black GT sedan also looks great. Far more personality than a Camry or Accord. It actually looks a little like a four door hatcback from certain angles. I can't wait for the H6 (and hopefully a Tiptronic shifter) to be fitted to it!

Drew
This discussion has been closed.