Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BMW X5 - 2008

2»

Comments

• anon3anon3 Posts: 147
    That's a good point and another reason why I just turned the camera off and only use PDC. I gave up on waiting for the iDrive systems to fully boot and the camera to start working before backing up.

In 2008, BMW gives you the option to add navigation and parking distance control as separate features. Before, they were bundled with the back up camera in the Technology Package. If I were buying the car again, I would get nav and PDC without the camera.

It's funny how the back up camera is categorized as a "Convenience" feature, but is anything but convenient.
    The X6 has been announced and it has two engines, one being a twin turbo V-8 that produces 400 hp and 450 ft lb of torque. That engine will also appear in 5.0is version of the X5 and in the new 7 series. So there will be a third X5 with more power, but it will NOT be an M vehicle. BMW only assigns the M badge to vehicles that they race in competition. They don't race SUVs.
    BMW posted the first official detailed description of the new X6 on their website on December 15, 2007. The current URL is:

http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Content/AllBMWs/FutureVehicles/X6/Default.aspx

Note the new twin turbo V-8 that makes 400 hp and 450 ft lb of toque. That engine also will appear in the new 7 series and probably in a 5.0is performance version of the X5. I saw the X6 in South Carolina on a test track back in August and have been watching for the announcement. My dealer says they still don't know exactly when production slots for an X6 will be available, but I put my name on the list now.

An X6 discussion group will probably be needed soon.
  • bmlexusbmlexus Posts: 755
    SUV Rankings: Luxury Midsize SUVs top 14. I was shock to see the position of my favo SUV the BMW X5 :sick: . and even more to see the no.1 position SUV. :sick:

link title
  • cabluecablue Posts: 48
    Those ratings just don't make sense to me. I ruled out the 400h because it's not safe in rear collisions. It gets a "poor" rating from the IIHS. Yet, this review must just take into account front and side testing. The X5 and MDX are the safest of the ones I'm looking at. Interior is so subjective. I found the X5 to be so much more luxurious than the RX or the MDX. The quality is like night and day. Of course, you pay the difference. I'm not saying the X5 beats out the others in every way. It doesn't. But as far as quality and safety, that's how I see it. :)
    I'm not saying the X5 beats out the others in every way. It doesn't. But as far as quality and safety, that's how I see it.

Same here but reliability is a big issue to me i just keep think why why lexus doesn't bring a SUV to compete with these SUVs like x5 ml cayenne and i don't consider the RX oe LX to compete with them...
    Since i checked out the new LX and the RX i can definitely say that bmw does have a different kind of car the interior is more luxurious much better and it definitely feels as its a true drivers car.

I just hope that bmw gets more reliable in the future and solve whatever the current problems there has been with the x5

To sit inside a x5 it feels so much nicer than the lx rx
  • hadiakhadiak Posts: 1
    Hi,

Since i bought my 2008 X5 in october 2007, it went to the garage 16 times due to several mechanical defects with the suspensions, hand-braking, steering wheel, .... i would like to know if others had similar problems and what did BMW company do to correct or repair those defects. Did BMW change the car of anyone that had those defects and what was the procedure for replacement with a new X5.
    This is bad news i am really beginning to question how much trouble the x6 will have its unbelievable 16 times to garage in 6 months :surprise: :surprise: :sick:
  • bgm5bgm5 Posts: 1
    Anytime you buy the 1st model run of a car there will be problems. If you wait a year or 2 most of the issues will have been addressed.
  • achonkoachonko Posts: 51
    I have had mine for 6 months now and it is smooth sailing so far.
  • tdg01tdg01 Posts: 1
    I've seen 2 pics of 2 different front grills for the 2008 4.8 X5. One flat black, the other a mesh. Does anyone know what determines which grill? I couldn't find any info on the BMWUSA site on this.

Thanks,
    I have also seen 2 grills but not for the x5 for the x6 the real 1 which i saw in the road was with black grills and the other 1 I have seen pics with the other grills looks like silver ...
  • kpeterskpeters Posts: 11
    Hello I have been looking at the 07 or 08 bmw x5 4.8 and Range Rover Sport, I like both and pluses and minues to both. I need to decide in next few days,,

x5--I like the performance, german design, especially the interior! my wife said though it looks more like a soccer mom's car which I dont agree with given its a 4.8 which I think looks cool and masculine. I have mostly seen guys drives these..
    Range Rover Spor--I love the exterior look of these! Hate the interior, very booring and all plastic. Handeling is pretty good for a large SUV but no as agile as the x5.

any help and or advice is much appreciated!! thanks
    x5--I like the performance, german design, especially the interior! my wife said though it looks more like a soccer mom's car which I dont agree with given its a 4.8 which I think looks cool and masculine. I have mostly seen guys drives these..

I agree with you I have no idea why every1 is trying to say its a soccer mom car.

Yes it definitely looks like nice well I have seen guys and girls both driving the x5.

Even if women drive these cars so what every 1 has their own personal choice.

The range as I heard wil have a redesign within 1 and half years sometime late 2009.

I personally don't like the RR sport.

good luck I hope to get a reply when you choose 1 usually people dont reply again.
  • hachee2001hachee2001 Posts: 11
    Can anybody tell me what determines whether you have chrome or black exterior window trim? I know adding the sport package to the 3.0 or 4.8 adds "shadow line trim", but what about on standard 3.0's without the sport package? Does it have chrome or black trim?

If anyone knows, please let me know! Trying to decide on color here, and it may effect my decision.

Thanks.
  • hlvertinhlvertin Posts: 2
    What did you decide on? I'm deciding between the same 2 vehicles with the same reasons.
  • pokemon38pokemon38 Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 BMW X5 3.0i and I am having problems with it lately, first was the thermostat, then the sawy bar links, the front door actuator and carrier (both broken), now the rear left window motor and regulator are broken, finally now I am hearing a noise that is coming like form the brake pads or brakes. This sound is like two metals squeezing or rubing each other. My mechanic told me the brakes are fine and they look like new. I dont know what to think. Can somebody help me.
  • I have had problems with my 2009, anyone else?
2»
This discussion has been closed.