Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Tacoma Diagnostic Codes and Warning Lights

2»

Comments

• elaine67elaine67 Posts: 1
    Hello, my 98 tacoma has the check lamp light on. The manual told me to make sure that the gas was full and that the gas cap was on properly. They both are. It then said that it's something electrical, but didn't seem urgent. Can I wait a few days before taking it to the shop or should I go immediately? Thanks, Elaine
  • I had the same code come up on my 02 2.7 liter tacoma, i replaced the air-fuel sensor located in the exhaust pipe in front of the catalatic converter,its a little costly ,but, it solved my problem.One other thing before i began working on my truck i disconnected the ground cable from the battery, then reconnected it when i was done it cleared the code and the check engine light went off,also it would be wise to do this repair work on a cold engine. good luck.
  • gladtohelpgladtohelp Posts: 1
    I too have a check engine lightproblem with my 2000 tacoma. I found that it turns on and off each time I purchase gas. A mechanic in Ann Arbor , MI replaced a fuse in the fuse box under the hood. I don't remember which fuse it was bit i think it was the second or third from the bottom or side of box toward front of vehicle. He said the Tacoma has a prob;em with this fuse becoming fowled when one gases up. When fuse replaced the light goes off.
  • damonericdamoneric Posts: 1
    edited May 2010
    i also had some similar issues with my chevy and after looking at my chevy engine codeswas able to pinpoint the problem. although i still think i might visit the dealership once to show the problem.
  • jackie58jackie58 Posts: 2
    edited June 2010
    My truck was starting hard each time, worse on a cold start, diagnostics said it was the crank shaft sensor, had that replaced, it started better but not right for about 3 weeks, now it won't start at all. Had to use starter fluid this morning. the crank shaft sensor is still coming up on the diagnostics. we are thinking it could be something electricial to cause the crank shaft sensor to not work properly...I have had a tune up within the past 16 months so all that should be good. Any suggestions
  • jackie58jackie58 Posts: 2
    jamson...I've got about the same problem right now with my 2000 tacoma, did you finally find a fix?
  • Check engine light came on about 8 months ago.
    Code says improper flow through sonverter.
    I had converters and sensors replaced, problem went away, and returned few months later.
    Plugs, plug wires, converters, up and down stream sensors are all new. Light is back on.
    When I had it reset, it came back on after about 100 miles.
    I replaced battery and light came back on after about 1,000 miles.
    Light is still on, truck runs perfect with no change in mileage or performance.
    The code is always the same, converter flow.
    I have inspection this month, any thoughts?
  • What was the mileage when the CEL went on?
  • Thanks for the reply. I had about 120,000 miles when light went on. Truck runs great, just high miles and #$%^ engine light.
  • I was wondering if you had replaced any of your tires shortly before the light went on. basically I had the same thing happen, mine at 162,000 miles. About a month before I had replaced 2 tires. Other than the light, the trucks run great.
  • jbeatonjbeaton Posts: 2
    Just did it on my Tacoma. You must ensure that the odometer is displaying on your instrument panel. It must say ODO. Turn you key off, then depress the odometer reset button and hold. While holding, turn key to on position (with instrument lights displayed) but do no start. You should see the Odometer count off some dashes and then end with several zero's in the display. Once you see that, release the reset button and then turn the key off. Go ahead and start the vehicle, and the Maintenance Light should be off
  • jbeatonjbeaton Posts: 2
    Where is the Diagnostic Connector located on a 2010 Tacoma?
  • bellwbellw Posts: 1
    If this is the right forum but i own a 2006 toyota tacoma and 2 new sensor light have turned on one is like red that looks like an antenna!Help anyone!Thanks in advance :confuse:
  • jshrumjshrum Posts: 1
    I have 99 tacoma with 210k+ miles and just last week check engine light came on. Auto Zone checked it and code 420 came on. I need any help I can get with this, bought truck new and it has been best vehicle I have ever paid for.
  • had intermediate exhaust replaced 2 days ago. engine loud still and check engine light is on. gonna take it back to repair shop, but wondered what could be going on. (1999 4wd 2.7L)
  • I have a 06 Tacoma with 230k+ miles on it the check engine light came on for the cat, got secondary cat replaced and light didnt come back for around 200 miles. hooked up obII comp and came up with code P0420. the o2 sensor is being lazy and not reading as it should. buddy of mine who did the aftermarket cat says its the 02 sensor but another buddy who is also mechanic says that the secondary cat wasnt only problem and should replace the other cat. lemme know ideas and next step thanks
  • Whats up with all these check engine lights... My 02 Tacoma did it at 30,000 and it was the 02 sensors ... now it doing it again at 69,000 That's hardly no mileage at all is it the gas or lack of [ meaning ethenal in the gas ] What is the problem with the gas we are buying and these O2 sensors going bad in 30,000 miles..... Dave in Fl.
  • Awesome! This works---Fantastic Glad to get rid of that light--I do all my own oil changes. Thanks for your help.
2»