Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

'69 GTX and '66 Satellite converts - record prices?

13»

Comments

• parmparm Posts: 723
    I don't disagree. For most folks, when you have a #1 car, you do become a hostage to it as was so eloquently stated. That's actually a very good way of putting it. With a freshly restored car, the trick is not be the 1st buyer, but rather the 2nd or 3rd. Case in point, I'd be interested to know what this '67 Coronet R/T would go for in ten years. Note to anyone out there in the process doing a full-blown restoration of a mid to late 60's convertible - call me in 10 years. LOL!
  • Hard to say. It's not THAT rare a car (over 10,000 made) and it's not a Hemi. And the muscle car market seems to be pretty stretched out.

The big danger of course is that someday, perhaps someday soon, someone is going to notice that this is just a Dodge, and adjust values accordingly.

This is a market that could collapse at any time, except for the very rarest, biggest-engined, highly documented, verified, over-restored examples---which will always be a blue chip.
  • andre1969andre1969 Posts: 21,599
    Where'd you get that 10,000 figure, Shifty? Dodge combined Coronet 500/RT production in 1967, and only built 39,260 combined that year. That includes the Coronet 500 hardtop coupe, sedan, and convertible, in both slant six/V-8 configuration, as well as the Coronet RT hardtop and convertible. I doubt if they made more than 1000 Coronet RT convertibles.

Plymouth kept better track of production back then. In 1967, for example, they sold 1552 Belvedere convertibles, and 2050 Satellites...but, that Satellite total includes the GTX.

In 1968, Plymouth sold 1771 Satellite convertibles, 1523 Sport Satellites, and 1026 GTXes.

Mopar convertibles always were rare compared to their GM competition. For example, in 1967, Pontiac sold 4082 Tempest Custom convertibles, 9820 LeMans convertibles, and 9517 GTO verts
  • They made 9,553 Coronet R/T hardtops and 628 convertibles in 1967, according to the Dodge & Plymouth Muscle Car Red Book.

Point is, this is not rare by top-tier muscle car standards. It's rare compared to a Chevelle, of course, but not compared to the really big buck muscle cars.

It's only when you start adding the rare engine options that the numbers drop into that delicious arena of mere tens or under 100 of something.

I don't think I've ever seen a 1967 R/T Hemi---that would be rare!!
  • andre1969andre1969 Posts: 21,599
    Okay, but 628 is still awfully rare compared to 10,000! As for the Hemi, I doubt if they made more than 70-100 of them with it. And with all the aftermarket conversions, clones, crate Hemis, etc, I'd imagine there are more 426 Hemis running around today than were originally produced!
  • Rarity alone doesn't count. People have to want the car as well. Some 6 cylinder convertible can be rarer than any Hemi but it won't have much value.

Anyway, without documentation one's Hemi-engined car is often regarded as a counterfeit.

Burden of proof is on the owner. Even VIN tags and data plates are suspect.

Again, muscle car prices are all about the engines, not the cars.
13»
This discussion has been closed.