Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

'07 vs '08 Outback Sport Driving Impressions

2»

Comments

• Re: Seating Position in 2008 OBS

I finally pulled the trigger on the OBS. I can confirm that the front passenger seat sits low in relation to the dash board. I've had several passengers say they feel awkwardly low because they can't see over the dash or have a clear view of the road ahead. My buddy who is about 5'11 said it was a strangest feeling - like being in a bobsled.

The bucket seats must be the culprit. Subaru skimped and didn't include the lever that raises seat height for the passenger side. Its kind of annoying, but what can you do...

I'll log in a few more weeks of driving and provide a more detailed review in on the New Reports thread.
  • jagoujagou Posts: 2
    Has anyone else noticed that the new 08 impreza (rs wagon) suspension is softer than the last version? Lovely little car, but I swear it's more squishy than the model I tested at the dealership.

Can anyone suggest some easy fix to put a little stiffness in the cornering? I'm happy, but could be happier..
  • xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,511
    It would probably not be too complicated or expensive to fabricate some spacers to raise the static height of the seat. You could either locate the spacers between the floor and adjustment rail or between the seat and adjustment rail.

Aside from that, I always felt the passenger seat height in the Outback felt low as well. I prefer to keep the height adjustment on the driver side all the way up, which only exacerbates the low feeling when sitting on the passenger side.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Check the tracks, because if they're flat that is easy, but if they're angled it's a lot tougher.

The track on my Forester was angled at the front. So if you put spacers and raised the back, the bolt would not find the stock hole for it.

My Forester's seat track was shaped like this, front to back:

With the front bolt on the "/" part.
  • xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,511
    True, and good point, juice! One would end up having to put a bracket like this on it to keep the front-to-rear alignment constant:

/
    |
    /

Seems like a lot of work for gaining a couple inches! :D
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Exactly.

I didn't mess with my Forester's seats, but on my Miata I did lift it up a bit to give me some thigh support. I used a few metal washers as spacers. Very simple, really. The track is flat so it was easy.
2»
This discussion has been closed.