Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

'07 vs '08 Outback Sport Driving Impressions

2»

Comments

• ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Pick the one that felt better to you. I'm sure any differences are very, very subtle.

If you want it lifted go for a Forester.
  • exit123exit123 Posts: 136
    Do the 2008 Impreza WRX and 2008 Outback Sport have the same problem with low passenger seat position as the other 2008 Imprezas (sedan and 5-door)?
    I haven't ever measured. I think any difference would be very subtle, with the OBS perhaps being a fraction of an inch higher.

FWIW, last time I did measure, a few years ago, the Legacy had a lower seat than the Impreza did, surprisingly.

If you want high seating, go for an Outback, Forester, or Tribeca.
  • paisanpaisan Posts: 21,181
    Do the 2008 Impreza WRX and 2008 Outback Sport have the same problem with low passenger seat position as the other 2008 Imprezas (sedan and 5-door)?

They will all be very close. Not sure what you are really looking for? As juice said perhaps a Forester, Tribeca or Outback would better suit your needs if you want a "high" seating position.

-mike
    Motorsports and Modifications Host
  • They will all be very close. Not sure what you are really looking for? As juice said perhaps a Forester, Tribeca or Outback would better suit your needs if you want a "high" seating position.

I believe the issue is the height difference between the seating position and the dashboard rather than the seating position and the ground.

Shorter (~5'8") have a poor/restricted view out of the windshield.
  • ateixeira,

If you do not like the seating on the WRX or the Sport, then you will not like the seating on the 2.5 models. I like the seating on the Impreza line better then on the Legacy line. The front seats give me more head and shoulder room on the new Impreza platform over the current Leagcy platform. If you find that the slight difference in seat hight between both vehicles is a problem, then maybe try the Outback? Or wait for the new Legacy in 2009/10 that will be about the size of a Camry.
    We're shopping for an 09 Forester.

You sit up high, and it has huge windows with excellent visibility.

No issue with that model whatsoever, in fact I can't think of a more user-friendly vehicle.
  • exit123exit123 Posts: 136
    No, I'm not looking for a "high" seating position. It's just that some people here are saying it's "low", so does that mean lower than normal for a mid-size car?
  • ...at the end of December, we bought a 2008 Impreza sedan 4at (mother in law)and a 2008 OBS 5sp (wife).

I have driven both and noticed the impreza to be a little more smooth: both in the steering as well as rolling. Not a very big difference but still detectable. I see the passenger side seat hight as a non-issue. No one has ever complained sitting there and we are all 5' 9" or less.

Regarding Impreza 5 door with premium package or Outback Sport, I think for about a grand more you do get more value: Living in the north-east heated seats are a must!! The 17 inch wheels are very sharp looking and I do love the 2 tone. Ours is black and truely makes the car look very sporty. I also like the silver on silver in 2 tone but don't care for the other 2 color options. If I'm not mistaken, the OBS also has differently contoured seats. More side bolsters. Also love the front and rear bumper protectors as you can easily hit frozen plowed snow when parking. We left the roof rack in the box that it came in for now, so no info on noise.

I really love the way the OBS drives, especially when compared to the 07 civic we traded in. I never really warmed up to that "appliance". The OBS looks, feels and drives much "richer" and feels very solid and poised.

One thing I have noticed, that I don't really like is the amount of noise that makes it through the wheel wells. When driving over prviously treated streets you do hear a lot of sand/rock noise coming from the wheel wells. It does sound a little hollow. Also, I was very surprised to see that the exhaust pipes under the car seem to already have a layer of rust (color). But that seems to be the case with almost any Subaru I have seen.
    You could spray some undercoating on the plastic fender liners to deaden the sound more, but I wouldn't bother.

They sell the stuff in spray cans, just be sure to mask off anything that should not be coated.
  • Re: Seating Position in 2008 OBS

I finally pulled the trigger on the OBS. I can confirm that the front passenger seat sits low in relation to the dash board. I've had several passengers say they feel awkwardly low because they can't see over the dash or have a clear view of the road ahead. My buddy who is about 5'11 said it was a strangest feeling - like being in a bobsled.

The bucket seats must be the culprit. Subaru skimped and didn't include the lever that raises seat height for the passenger side. Its kind of annoying, but what can you do...

I'll log in a few more weeks of driving and provide a more detailed review in on the New Reports thread.
  • jagoujagou Posts: 2
    Has anyone else noticed that the new 08 impreza (rs wagon) suspension is softer than the last version? Lovely little car, but I swear it's more squishy than the model I tested at the dealership.

Can anyone suggest some easy fix to put a little stiffness in the cornering? I'm happy, but could be happier..
  • xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,269
    It would probably not be too complicated or expensive to fabricate some spacers to raise the static height of the seat. You could either locate the spacers between the floor and adjustment rail or between the seat and adjustment rail.

Aside from that, I always felt the passenger seat height in the Outback felt low as well. I prefer to keep the height adjustment on the driver side all the way up, which only exacerbates the low feeling when sitting on the passenger side.
    Check the tracks, because if they're flat that is easy, but if they're angled it's a lot tougher.

The track on my Forester was angled at the front. So if you put spacers and raised the back, the bolt would not find the stock hole for it.

My Forester's seat track was shaped like this, front to back:

With the front bolt on the "/" part.
  • xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,269
    True, and good point, juice! One would end up having to put a bracket like this on it to keep the front-to-rear alignment constant:

/
    |
    /

Seems like a lot of work for gaining a couple inches! :D
    Exactly.

I didn't mess with my Forester's seats, but on my Miata I did lift it up a bit to give me some thigh support. I used a few metal washers as spacers. Very simple, really. The track is flat so it was easy.
2»
This discussion has been closed.