Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Suzuki XL-7 Electrical Problems

mattjinmattjin Posts: 3
We bought a 2007 XL7 two weeks ago. The second day we had the car the battery was dead. Had it replaced and then the charging system was not reading over 12.3 volts while running. Replaced the alternator but the car still ranges from 12.3 to 14.2 volts while running or idling. Last Saturday the front control stopped working. Could not change the radio, a/c or any other centrally located controls. We had a 2004 XL7 and it was great. Our vehicle was manufactured Nov of 2006 so it was one of the first out, anyone else have electrical bugs? Oh yeah, I almost forgot that the speakers pop like something is grounding out everytime we open the doors. I ran a Suzuki Motorcycle dealership for almost 10 years and have never seen anything this random in the powersports world. The dealer said he has replaced batteries in 3 other new XL7's. Did I get the only XL7 with Gremlins?

Comments

• tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    still ranges from 12.3 to 14.2 volts while running

What voltage were you expecting?

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • mattjinmattjin Posts: 3
    I was told by the service department at two Suzuki dealerships (one local one in Florida)that the running voltage should never drop below 13.5 when running even at idle. I can say that when the voltage monitor drops below 12.8 the car starts acting a little wierd, meaning idle gets jumpy and the car stumbles upon takeoff from a light. We have tried turning everything off but it doesn't make a difference. I have to believe the alternator is working correctly but there is something wrong in the ODB or other electrical component that is telling the car the battery is charging but in fact is not. The vehicle is currently being looked at and hopefully we well find something out soon.
  • Good luck with it. We have a 2007 that is about the same vintage. No issues yet. I also have a 2002, and I have seen similar voltage fluctuations on it. I would expect to see fluctuations since the alternator is alway adjusting its out put, and the load placed on the system changes all of the time, as well. Anyway, good luck and keep us posted.

Regards,

Ivan
  • mirde98mirde98 Posts: 95
    The new XL-7 is basically a Chevrolet Equinox/Pontiac Torrent. Shares alot of components and probably alot of their problems.
  • tsu670tsu670 Posts: 293
    Actually, the XL-7 designers used the Equinox (Theta) platform as a starting point to take advantage of its safety, steering and suspension features, but there the similarity ends.

The engine is built at the Suzuki plant in Sagara Japan based on GM's aluminum V-6 used in the Cadillac CTS. The platform, while similar to Equinox, is stiffer, longer, and a skosh wider to accomodate a third row of seats. (Note: GM now only owns about 3% of Suzuki stock).

It is assembled in Ingersoll, Ontario, Canada.

I don't own one, but I am in the market for a new vehicle, and this one is quite intriguing. :shades:
  • Not to split hairs but the engine is pure suzuki and is not based on anything. Gm pruchesed it from suzuki. It is 100% [non-permissible content removed] all gm did was pay the bill.
  • I have a 2007 xl7 with 13,000 miles. Like the car but dont like the electrical computer system.
    One night we were out in the car and all dashboard systems, radio, thermostat and heating went out. Stop in a station, shut the car down and started it up again a few mnts later. It worked fine. Its like Windows having problems with your computer----- "Hit Alt --Ctrl --- and Delete". Sometimes if someone is sitting in the passenger seat the air bag sensor light stays at off position. I saw something on tv a week ago about other car brands having the same problem so they did a recall. No recall on the suzuki. Its the same set-up and system other cars are using. I would check to see if other cars are having the same problem and they had recalls on this. Since all car manufacturers are using each others technology and parts it could happen.

Is anyone else having the same problem.

Thanks
  • Hi,
    I have a '04 XL-7, 63k miles, passenger airbag light came on and stayed on whether seat was occupied or not. Took it to the dealer. He said the sensor in the seat frame goes bad. I asked how much the sensor was, expecting something like a micro-switch. He said no such thing, whole seat frame has to be replaced, $1300. That was last month, I've done nothing to it yet. I'm thinking I may take the seat apart and check it out myself, dirt, loose connection? Local Mech. won't touch it due to liability issues. Another issue: clock/temp blinking, won't reset. I suspect the computer? Another issue: clicker (remote door lock/unlock) stopped working, took it in. The dealer said if the little sensors that detect the doors being closed get jammed up, or dirty, the clicker won't work. I took rubber covers off of each one and 3 out of 5 not working. Sprayed with wd40 and that solved the problem.
  • Ok I'm glad Iam not the only one having this problem. $1300. Forget it. I think I'm going to wait for a recall on it. I hope you get your other problems resolved. Do you think that if the front seat thinks there is no one sitting in the car and god forbid you have a crash the air bag wont deploy? I hope not.

Thanks again.
    Hill
  • I think that's the case, the airbag would not deploy, but I will do more research and maybe it's something simple...yeah right. I agree, $1300, forget it.
    Vehicles are so technically advanced now from when I was a kid tinkering with cars, It's just amazing. I guess the good side is that they are much more dependable, but when something goes wrong, a person has to get a second mortgage to fix the darn things.
    Good luck on yours too.

Ken
  • lnockerlnocker Posts: 2
    I have had mine in the shop 3 times in the past year. I'm taking it in again tomorrow. You just don't know what, if anything, electrical is going to work. Radio, air, tire pressure, airbags, stableization, brakes, anything with sound could black out at any moment. Then you wake up one morning and nothing works. You have to have it jumped to start it.
    What a joke! I wish more than anything I'd never purchased this nightmare.
  • reachjreachj Posts: 4
    ok.... We tried new battery, new alternator, new starter: turned out to be:...... loose groundwire...... they fixed it and problem solved after all these months and ALL that money!! good luck everybody
  • lnockerlnocker Posts: 2
    Well, they kept my car for 6 days and can't find anything wrong with it. Pretty much just told me to bad. When I said it sounded like a computer issue he said no way. Then he told me he didn't open up a ticket and wouldn't make note of them even having the vehicle there because it was back with the same issues. Seems to me they don't want it turned in as a lemon. I've got a call into suzuki to demand they give me detailed info on what they did or did not do. And I'm filing the lemon paperwork tomorrow.
    Did they specifically check for loose ground wire? It took MONTHS and MONTHS to finally fix mine. Thsi was AFTER they recommended new battery, new alternator, new starter: Loose ground wire fixed the problem....
    By ALL means call the Customer Relations department. I spoke with Cathy. Perhaps if enough people call with same issue they will recall .....

It is in Brea, California if that helps....
  • Bought my 07 XL7 in Nov 06. Loved it so much. Still did until Wed a week ago when it would not start after I put gas into it. The check engine light came on the day before. Finally got it started and took it to the dealer. It was covered under my paid for extended warranty. (68000 miles) Got it back this past Thurs. ($1400) Drove it Fri and it did the same thing and the check engine light came on again. So they have it again. I just pray they actually fix it this time.

Also notice a sand paper sound coming from steering wheel and the air conditioner makes a funny gurgling noise.
  • cliffordrcliffordr Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 XL-7 suzuki the ac light is flashing while it is on . Any ideas?
  • Our break lights come on when car is sitting in our driveway.
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    It sounds like one of your switches is stuck or broken.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • our 2004 XL-7 has a open door indicator light that does not go off...we already had it fixed once and now its back on agaon..dealer said it has something to do with the rear door indicator , fixed it and it lasted one month and its on again...also the overhead lights stay on...HELP!!I am wondering when it qualifies as a lemon.