Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2008 Accord Sedan Could Be Everyman's Acura RL

2»

Comments

• manybmwsmanybmws Posts: 347
    you need to test drive the new Accord...
  • 06nighthawkv606nighthawkv6 SE TexasPosts: 55
    You know something, I do as well. I kinda like how they did the coupe and I bet it's a head turner and a testdrive is the sure thing to find out. :shades:
  • bug4bug4 Posts: 370
    manybmws. You have suggested that I need to test drive the new Accord. I own one! I purchased an 08 EX-L in September. I really love it! But, I don't think its ride quality and handling is as nice as the BMW 330xi I have driven. The BMW has significantly better steering response, road feel and brakes. Do you agree? However, the BMW costs much more and may be less reliable. So, I'm not sure the comparison is useful. But, how about the Acura RL. I'm interested to know if the 08 Accord and RL are comparable.
  • manybmwsmanybmws Posts: 347
    oops sorry - do you have the 6-cyl because that gets you closer to an RL driving experience? Also, I looked at the Accord Coupe this weekend and was impressed at how it looked but did not drive it. The coupe's suspension is set up to be firmer than the sedan and may be closer to driving a 3-series - dunno. It is also on my list to drive.

I have test driven an RL but owned a 91 and 95 Legend so that is my basis for my comparison in an earlier post. Oh, I also owned 3 different 4-cyl Accords from 84 - 91.

I currently own an '03 530i but have driven many 3-series. The last one I test drove was an '07 335 Coupe. IMO the 3-series with run flats just don't cut the mustard for me. Too much tramlining. I found even the 6-cyl 08 Accord with front-wheel drive and torque steer distracted me less than the 3s with runflats. Of course RWD cars have different handling dynamics than a FWD car.

If you are thinking of upgrading to the RL I would wait to the fall at the end of the model year. Acura dealers do heavily discount year-end models - well below invoice in my experience. I checked Edmunds for '07 RL pricing in September and they were going for just over $40K in my area. That in itself makes them attractive because they are solid vehicles.

Keep the Accord for a while - they have great resale... I always got top dollar for mine even on a trade.
  • I have the 2006 RL it is no way Honda could make the 08 Accord drive like the RL the RL got awd and if it does I will be the 1st to tell Acura Honda to Ki** my a** and I have a 2007 MDX I will never buy from Acura again..I paid $39.500 for my RL back in Nov of last year and I see the Accord v6 is around $30,000 I still will be mad at Acura..

P.S. I love the RL I have 17000 miles and loving it so far!!
  • elroy5elroy5 Posts: 3,741
    I doubt very much the 08 Accord handles like the RL equipped with SH-AWD. Plus the probably numerous other luxuries the RL has (upgraded leather and other materials) that the Accord does not. Same platform, different cars. The previous Accord was on the same platform as the TL, but not many thought it was comparable to it.
  • robertsmxrobertsmx Posts: 5,525
    I was looking at specs for the Legend and was surprised to see a few things.

1995 Legend (2008 Accord)
    Length: 194.9" (194.1")
    Width: 71.3" (72.7")
    Height: 55.1" (58.1")
    Wheelbase: 114.6" (110.1")
    Wheel: P215/55/R16 (P225/50/R17)
    Curb Weight: 3616 lb (3600 lb)
    Engine: 3.2 V6 (3.5 V6)
    Max Power: 230 HP (268 HP)
    Max Torque: 206 lb-ft (248 lb-ft)
    EPA fuel economy rating: 18/23 (22/32)*

So, the new Accord is actually almost identical to the old Legend in exterior dimensions (a little shorter, but wider and taller), and weighs about the same. These family sedans have come a long way.

* Older standard. Under new rating system, 16/21 (19/29).
  • benjaminhbenjaminh Posts: 1,742
    Nice comparison. Thanks. I think the 95 Legend was a great looking car. The 08 Accord is nice, but not as nice. But otherwise it's interesting how close those two cars are. But the Accord gets significantly higher mpg.
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Check this out: Honda Accord and Acura RL–Guess Which is Bigger?

(Thanks to moparbad who posted this link over in Midsize Sedans.)
  • golfrskigolfrski Posts: 262
    If you take the new Accord agressive design/styling, size and interior space and features (bluetooth, heated seast and mirrors, day/night mirror,17" wheels,leather upgrades, XM, Duel Climate, not to mention the new ACE Body structure and safety improvements in the EXL-V6 w/ Navi model and stack it up against the current RL there is no choice..... get the Accord. NOW when Acura beefs up the RL to the planned V8 and larger with updated features then we may be talking a diff story, but that aint happenin too quickly, late 09/early 2010

Like the previous post this article says it all.... dont waste your money on the RL (at least not now)..

http://news.windingroad.com/car-buying/unlikely-archrivals-honda-accord-and-acur- a-rl-guess-which-is-bigger/
    Keep in mind folks that with the new 08 V6 VCM engine, you may find yourself secretly driving a 4 Cyl most of the time, heck even a 3 cyl...
    Your comment would have made sense BEFORE the 08 EXL-V6 came out... now that it has and I have one.. I will tell you that it is absolutely as refined and in many respects better... its missing the AWD and thats about it... listen go sit in the back seat up an RL and if you are over 5'6" tall.....duck. You will notice inset concave divots in the headliner above you.. that so you can actually fit your head in the car .. the roof line slopes to a degree that the headliner space they created is a must. In the accord a similar design, however LOADS more room.. by far a better car interior in every respect... the other thing that is really nice is that Accord allow a pull down back seat. now its not 60/40 and thats a drag but you can use a ski pass through AND bring the whole seat down for hauling that new rake you bought at loews to gather all these fall leaves.. fat chance with the RL its a fixed rear seat... everytime I turn around I see another thing the RL lacks and the EXl-V6 offers.... Like I have said many times in other posts this car is a no-brainer.
    The Accord EXL-V6 is a no brainer... juts be aware of the VCM engine and how it operates and all will be good. 3-4-6 Cyl mgmt system, you'll feel the diff over time. Great car though.
    You guys are dead-on... the 08 Accord looks NOTHING like a Saturn.. only comparison is the amount of rings the new Accord will cricle around its competitors! GolfrSki
  • tallman1tallman1 Posts: 1,874
    and thats a drag but you can use a ski pass through AND bring the whole seat down for hauling that new rake you bought at loews to gather all these fall leaves.

And if you put the rake in handle first, you can just use the pass through instead of lowering the whole seat. ;)
    Thanks Copernicus. ;)
  • I can see where the Accord could be the 'everyman's' RL, which is probably just the position Honda wants the Accord to be in. I would hope the RL is a lot more refined though. My '08 EX-L is the loudest car (interior noise while driving) I've had since my VW Beetle back in the 70's. My '81 Olds Cutlass, '88 Nissan Stanza and '96 Toyota Camry all had a quieter drive than this car.
2»
This discussion has been closed.