Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2008 Mitsubishi Outlander

1235»

Comments

• Options
    costello1costello1 Member Posts: 60
    I just put a set of Primacy on my 07 and love them . The Goodyears were crap , I couldn't wait to set rid of them . They ran about $200 a piece installed , but well worth it!!
  • Options
    costello1costello1 Member Posts: 60
    We are geeting a major snow storm here in Md and I took my 07 xls out for a spin. Last yr with my Goodyears on the truck was slipping all over the place even in 4wd at low speeds . This year with new tires total opposite . Great grip and control . The Goodyears were crap!! Spend the extra money and get the Primacys.
  • Options
    _maia__maia_ Member Posts: 2
    wondering if any one has any info they can share with me..

I have had my 08 XLS since new and love every aspect of my outlander. I can share the usual minor problems most owners have like the drivers seat rocking forward and backward on accel & decel but that hasnt changed my thoughts toward the outlander or mitsu.

On my second oil change an oil leak was noticed by the dealership I worked at which was NOT Mitsubishi. I drove 3 hours to the closest dealer and my oil pan was resealed. (6000 kms) Third oil change when my tech told me the oil leak was still there I thought he was messin with me. Drove back to Edmonton where I was told that there were a couple cases where the actual walls of the block were porous. Upon inspection the dealer replaced the rear main seal but they did not sound like they thought it was the actual problem, just wanted to try something. (12000 kms) Had an oil change and AGAIN it is leaking and worse now than ever. (29000 kms)

Anyone??? :sick:
  • Options
    authurdentauthurdent Member Posts: 82
    Not an Outlander, but we always took our Mirage to the dealer for oil change. Over the years, the techs had machined the lugnut to the point where it was just spinning in place, and spotting oil. Since they did all the oil changes, I had them replace the pan and lugnut for free. Could it be something as simple as a spinning lugnut?
  • Options
    comem47comem47 Member Posts: 399
    What do you mean "machined"? So you mean to say they used an impact wrench?
    Not my idea of a dealer tech. If properly torqued the drain plug should never do this. :sick:
  • Options
    batman47batman47 Member Posts: 606
    If you go to 2010 Mitsubishi (forum) you will see my opinion of these mechanical experts. I also believe these so called experts have damaged your car. I have complained many times in this forum about that the only things these experts do is torque your wheels, nothing else; everything else is done as pleased.

Your Mitsubishi garage must find out what is going wrong with your oil leaks. Clean thoroughly your engine where there is oil. Drive it just for 1 mile, stop the car in some place where you can go underneath the car and observe the oil leaks. Open the bonnet/hood and observe the oil leaks on the engine. If there is no clear oil leaks drive the car for another mile and repeat the process. If you can take photos of the oil leaks take it. If the leaks is around the oil drain plug then the experts has messed up your car, if the oil leaks is around the engine seals then you need to put new ones to cure the leaks. As I said an experienced mechanic must be able to tell you what is wrong with your car.

Sorry to hear about this!
  • Options
    _maia__maia_ Member Posts: 2
    Location of leak is very difficult to find as engine compartment is fairly cramped and the leak is always apparent around the oil pan. It is not the oil pan tho, the leak is coming from above and dripping onto the oil pan. So far 3 "experienced" mechanics have replaced components that were not needed. Service manager wants to tear down engine assy. Being that this is completely warranty I feel like they are just replacing parts one at a time hoping to guess the right one. I have no problem letting them tear down my engine but after a couple wrong guesses from "experienced" mitsubishi techs I dont know how much I trust a rebuilt. Lookin at just leavin it with the dealer and trading up...

:confuse:
  • Options
    Maybe service is on collusion with sales, and both parties are looking to wear you down, till you give up and trade. I felt that way with our recent purchase, but then again our car was in its 13th year, and whether I believed or not their story about a rusty frame, it was time for a trade. In you case, I'd leave that dealer ASAP and find a more capable/credible shop. I do think some tech over-torqued our lugnut till it stripped, and I had no problem tellling them it was their fault.
  • Options
    elgatolocoelgatoloco Member Posts: 92
    Getting ready to replace the Goodyears that came on our 2008 Outlander SE. I'm not real educated on rubber so would appreciate any recommendations. We have the 2.4 four cylinder mostly driven by wifey so we don't need a real pricey high performance set. Just looking for something with longevity, reliability, and reasonably good all-weather performance (central Illinois).

Boring question I know, but thanks in advance for any suggestions.
  • Options
    fushigifushigi Member Posts: 1,459
    I'm in northern Illinois (Chicago suburbs) so I understand your need for good winter tires without the expense ofdedictae snow tires like the Blizzaks.

Even if you don't buy from them, the reviews at TireRack.com can be informative.

After finding the OEM GoodYear Eagle LS tires to be just so-so on my old Galant, and being dis-satisfied with the quality of Michelin Energy tires, I put GoodYear TripleTred Assurance tires on the Galant and noticed an improvement in wet & snow traction. Based on that experience my wife put them on her car.

At the moment those are what I plan to replace the OEM tires on my '10 Outlander with when the time comes. They aren't cheap tires by any stretch but should last a long time.
    2017 Infiniti QX60 (me), 2012 Hyundai Elantra (wife)
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I've liked Michelin tires on cars and bikes. After nearly 60K on successive sets of Energy MVX4s, we upgraded(?) with HydroEdge, which seemed quite good (only drove 6K before trade-in). After our GoodYear Eagle LS, I might like to go to Michelin Primacy MVX4, which I guess is the successor to the Energy.

Could be that Energy tires perform differently depending on size, so might be good for 185/60R15, bur no so good for larger wheels and/or heavier cars. Our Eagles currently have less than 1000 mile wear, so we have plenty of time to sort this out!
  • Options
    solowalkersolowalker Member Posts: 118
    I put a set of Michelin Primacy MVX4's on my 2007 Outtie XLS. Rides like a dream now...Got a good deal on them at Discount tire...The original equipment Goodyear LS's were only "good for a year" :(
  • Options
    For those who have had Eagle LS tires, what tire pressure do you prefer? The dealer had all 4 set at a crazy high 46psi (cold). But when I set them back to the recommended 32psi (cold) the handling feels too wishy-washy. I might strike a balance at 40psi (cold). Any thoughts?
  • Options
    fushigifushigi Member Posts: 1,459
    If 32 is too soft, go up 2 PSI at a time until you find what you like. I'm going to guess that 36 or 38 will be plenty.
    2017 Infiniti QX60 (me), 2012 Hyundai Elantra (wife)
  • Options
    I changed the tires of my Outlander GT immediately after I bought the car for Yokohama Geolandar 225/55R18 because I planned to drive 50% on gravel (unpaved road). I like these tires although a bit noisy in tarmac.

I will recommend for your case the Yokohama YK520. I have used in my Outlander XLS 2008. They are not expensive.
  • Options
    I inflated my Yokohama Geolandar A/T-S to 40 psia each. This pressure showed to be very good on tarmac. However for driving on gravel or unpaved roads with pot holes the pressure of 40 psia has proved to be very unpractical indeed. I reduced the pressure to 33 psia and I was able to drive in well maintained gravel road at 50 miles per hour. Unexpectedly the pressure of 33 psia has also shown to be good for tarmac although a bit noisy.
  • Options
    piastpiast Member Posts: 269
    IMO 40 psi still sounds to high. In addition to bumpy ride, you may prematurely wear your tires (in the center section). Too much air causes only the tire's middle section to touch the road. I keep mine in 34 - 36 psi range.
  • Options
    For me its a bit like Goldilocks. Dealer delivered Outlander with 46 psi (cold) was too hard, 32 psi (cold) was too soft, but 38 might be just right. I might set tires to 38/36 front/back to allow for engine weight. This worked well for our Mirage, where we ran fronts 3-4 psi more. Seemed to provide better cornering.

I do miss the Michelins. I see they make HydroEdge for 225/55R18, and would be tempted to get a set when the time comes.
  • Options
    solowalkersolowalker Member Posts: 118
    edited May 2010
    I traded my Yoko YK 520's on my 2007 XLS 4WD in a few months ago for new Mechelin Primacy MVX4's in 225/60R18...The YK 520's gave me good service for 27,000 miles and they hardly had any wear when I traded for the Michelins. However, the reason I put on the Michelins was because the YK 520's were extremely loud on the street. I thought my wheel bearings were shot. That's what the noise sounded like..
    The YK 520's were excellent up on the gravel and dirt forest roads..If you don't mind the loud "whrrrrr" when rolling on highway, I'd recommend them. They were not expensive..The noise started with the 520's after about 10,000 miles and progressively got worse..
    N.B. Tire shop always sends me out with 36psi...
  • Options
    timmit1timmit1 Member Posts: 1
    I work at a Mitsubishi Dealership, and just received an XLS with an oil leak, and found that the "Crank seal" was leaking, and dripping down onto the oil pan, but oil was also being "sloshed" up to the top and around by the serpentine and timing belts. Might be a good place to start looking. Try cleaning it before you take it back to the dealer, and literally "right before" you take it back, because it took less than a minute for this leak to show up after cleaning it.
This discussion has been closed.