Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!





Subaru Crew - Meet The Members II

111331135113711381139

Comments

  • Karen_CMKaren_CM Posts: 5,032

    @rsholland said: For those who do not know, I became a grandad on Thursday. Daughter Mairen gave birth to a healthy baby boy, named Ben. Everyone is doing well. Needless to say, we are on cloud nine. :)

    Bob

    Congratulations!

    Would love to see a photo!

    Community Manager If you have any questions or concerns about the Forums, send me an email, karen@edmunds.com, or click on my screen name to send a personal message.

  • xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,686
    edited May 5

    Yessir! Congrats, old man! Hehehehe... (hey, let me have my fun while I can; my time will come)

    2010 Subaru Forester, 2011 Ford Fiesta, 1969 Chevrolet C20 Pickup, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250 Pickup, 1974 Ford Pinto Wagon
  • dcm61dcm61 Posts: 1,481

    Congrats on the little one, Grandpa.

  • rshollandrsholland Posts: 19,725
    edited May 6

    Karen, your wish is my command.

    Baby Ben, minutes old. :) 6 lb. 12 oz; 19 1/4" long

    Bob (aka Gramps)

    image.jpg 149.7K
  • robr2robr2 BostonPosts: 8,039

    Great picture!!

    Does every hospital have the same blanket supplier?? I know I still have a couple of those from when my kids were born in the late 90's.

  • robr2robr2 BostonPosts: 8,039

    Great picture!!

    Does every hospital have the same blanket supplier?? I know I still have a couple of those from when my kids were born in the late 90's.

  • hondafriekhondafriek Ottawa CanadaPosts: 2,933

    Congratulations Bob, all the best to the family from Rita and myself.

    Cheers Pat.

  • dcm61dcm61 Posts: 1,481

    I don't have happy news like Bob. My 2012 Impreza Sport Limited may be on it's death bed. First, on April 24th, a women turned in front of me and crunched my right front corner (bumper, bumper support, headlight, grill, fog light, fender). Now 2 weeks later , I'm driving back from North Carolina where I attended my daughters graduation (MBA degree); actually happy news. Was about 50 miles from home, driving ~60 or 65 mph and the next thing I see is a flash of brown (deer) in my windshield. Front / knee airbags deployed, slammed on the brakes, couldn't see a thing, but managed to pull safely onto the shoulder. Me and parents survived unscathed, but the car has seen better days. Entire front end is damaged, windshield cracked, radiator busted, dash destroyed from passenger airbag, moonroof out of alignment, rear hatch out of alignment. Hopefully the insurance company totals the car.

  • jfljfl Posts: 1,356
    edited May 11

    dcm1 - Glad to hear that you and your parents are unscathed. One of the reasons to drive a Subaru is for its safety rating, we hope we never need it but good to know it did the job of protecting you.

    Congrats to your daughter!

  • rshollandrsholland Posts: 19,725

    @dcm61 said: I don't have happy news like Bob. My 2012 Impreza Sport Limited may be on it's death bed. First, on April 24th, a women turned in front of me and crunched my right front corner (bumper, bumper support, headlight, grill, fog light, fender). Now 2 weeks later , I'm driving back from North Carolina where I attended my daughters graduation (MBA degree); actually happy news. Was about 50 miles from home, driving ~60 or 65 mph and the next thing I see is a flash of brown (deer) in my windshield. Front / knee airbags deployed, slammed on the brakes, couldn't see a thing, but managed to pull safely onto the shoulder. Me and parents survived unscathed, but the car has seen better days. Entire front end is damaged, windshield cracked, radiator busted, dash destroyed from passenger airbag, moonroof out of alignment, rear hatch out of alignment. Hopefully the insurance company totals the car.

    OUCH!

    Really sorry to hear that Dave. Glad everyone survived okay. A few years ago a deer went through the windshield of a Civic about a mile from our house. The driver was killed. I agree, hope the car is totaled.

    Congrats to your daughter!

    Bob

  • xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,686

    Quite an adventure for such a new car! Sad news, but, hey, at least now you'll have a "fun" story to tell in conjunction with reminiscing about her graduation! :p

    2010 Subaru Forester, 2011 Ford Fiesta, 1969 Chevrolet C20 Pickup, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250 Pickup, 1974 Ford Pinto Wagon
  • dcm61dcm61 Posts: 1,481

    Thanks for all the comments. My Mom has a 2011 Outback and she said she wouldn't buy a car like mine because of how much it was damaged. I told her that her car would look the same after a deer hit. I also told her the car did exactly what it was supposed to do ... protect the occupants, including her.

    Pictures of 1st accident on 4/24. Silver car is a 1991 Honda Civic that turned in front of me. I think most of my damage was from the impact with their wheel. https://onedrive.live.com/redir.aspx?cid=80905d85c4570e19&page=browse&resid=80905D85C4570E19!537&parId=80905D85C4570E19!535&authkey=!AmdgQUovBRElFxo&Bpub=SDX.SkyDrive&Bsrc=Share&sc=Photos&type=5

    Pictures after deer encounter on 5/10. https://onedrive.live.com/redir.aspx?cid=80905d85c4570e19&page=browse&resid=80905D85C4570E19!536&parId=80905D85C4570E19!535&authkey=!AqNm5jZyGqwy-Ps&Bpub=SDX.SkyDrive&Bsrc=Share&sc=Photos&type=5

    Can't really tell too well from the picture, but the moonroof is raised up in the front, and the windshield is cracked from the passenger airbag deployment. Also, the back hatch no longer closes completely.

  • dcm61dcm61 Posts: 1,481

    Car is being towed to a salvage yard today or tomorrow. Hopefully that's a good sign that the insurance adjuster will total it. They told me to clean out the car and remove the license plate.

    BTW, I'm having a 2014 Forester rental delivered tomorrow. Yeah, the one that Wes says only a mother can love.

  • dcm61dcm61 Posts: 1,481

    One more post. On 4/25 (my Mom's birthday), a deer ran through my brother's front house door. Busted through 2 back to back panes of glass in the screen door, then busted the steel door out of the frame. No sign of the deer doing any other damage to the house. Appears that it turned around and left.

    My brother said that deer are out to get us.

  • xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,686

    That's hilarious, Dave! I can just imagine the deer busting into your brother's place, then looking around and thinking, "wait, this isn't my house! I need to stick to two drinks next time...."

    I'm somewhat shocked at the amount of damage your car sustained from that deer encounter. Considering the speed of impact and the airbag deployment, it's a wonderful thing that you all came out of it shaken but not stirred!

    Makes me even more thankful that I managed to avoid the several deer that attempted to become hood ornaments on our way to the Oregon coast last September. If one of them did that kind of damage to our Forester, our trip could have become quite interesting....

    2010 Subaru Forester, 2011 Ford Fiesta, 1969 Chevrolet C20 Pickup, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250 Pickup, 1974 Ford Pinto Wagon
  • jfljfl Posts: 1,356
    edited May 12

    Wow Dave, looking at the bumper around your passenger side fog lamp, your brother appears to be right. Did that deer kick that hole into your bumper?

    And I assume someone, somewhere could be having venison? (I.e. the deer paid dearly for his error.)

    Side comment: Impreza's have a black surround at the front fog lamp, CrossTrek has all body color front bumper. The rear bumper is reversed, black surround on CrossTrek, all body color on Impreza.

  • dcm61dcm61 Posts: 1,481

    Wow Dave, looking at the bumper around your passenger side fog lamp, your brother appears to be right. Did that deer kick that hole into your bumper?

    The passenger side bumper damage is from accident #1. Pretty sure the heavy bumper damage was caused by the Civic wheel.

  • dcm61dcm61 Posts: 1,481

    Oh, I forgot to mention that my Mom had a memorable birthday (deer intruder at my younger brother's house) and Mother's Day (crash, rode in the back of a police SUV, road in a tow truck).

    My older brother says that he's glad that he has a boring life. LOL.

  • dcm61dcm61 Posts: 1,481

    Also, the hole in the bumper is due to the missing tow hook cover, although the hole is torn up some.

  • grahampetersgrahampeters AustraliaPosts: 1,672

    G'day

    When I lived in England, my employers had a run of car accidents, all involving deer strikes. For a few months it seemed that it was the only damage that befell our fleet, which excited interest from our motor insurers.

    Remarkable how much damage an animal can cause, even if not huge. I hit a rabbit on the Yorkshire Moors and it ripped out the whole of the wheel arch liner and sundry components on my Mercedes - about GBP1,000. Judy and I joked that he must have had Semtex in his pockets, given the extent of damage.

    Conversely I hit a kangaroo at the bottom of its bounce, so it was close to the ground. Car was thrown around a bit as it rolled under the car, but minimal damage. Bizarrely, it hopped off into the distance. I would not want to hit one when it was at the top of its bounce as they, especially plains males, can be very large. I had a very near miss last year where I really tested the brakes.

    A long time ago, dad hit a wombat which ripped the front wheel off his Renault 16; they are like short concrete bollards on legs.

    The car definitely looks very second hand and the apparent upper body damage is not good news. It really is pleasing to see that the airbags did their stuff.

    Cheers

    Graham

  • rshollandrsholland Posts: 19,725

    @grahampeters said: G'day

    When I lived in England, my employers had a run of car accidents, all involving deer strikes. For a few months it seemed that it was the only damage that befell our fleet, which excited interest from our motor insurers.

    Remarkable how much damage an animal can cause, even if not huge. I hit a rabbit on the Yorkshire Moors and it ripped out the whole of the wheel arch liner and sundry components on my Mercedes - about GBP1,000. Judy and I joked that he must have had Semtex in his pockets, given the extent of damage.

    Conversely I hit a kangaroo at the bottom of its bounce, so it was close to the ground. Car was thrown around a bit as it rolled under the car, but minimal damage. Bizarrely, it hopped off into the distance. I would not want to hit one when it was at the top of its bounce as they, especially plains males, can be very large. I had a very near miss last year where I really tested the brakes.

    A long time ago, dad hit a wombat which ripped the front wheel off his Renault 16; they are like short concrete bollards on legs.

    The car definitely looks very second hand and the apparent upper body damage is not good news. It really is pleasing to see that the airbags did their stuff.

    Cheers

    Graham

    Love it. It's not everyday That I read about hitting kangaroos or wombats with a car. :) Always enjoy your posts Graham. :)

    Bob

  • dcm61dcm61 Posts: 1,481

    My car was declared a total loss. Initital estimate was ~$15k to fix and I suspect there was more hidden damage. I lose the insurance rental on Friday, so I need to find a new ride SOON.

    I will most likely get another Subaru and am leaning toward a 2015 Forester 2.5i Touring. I liked my Impreza Sport Limited, but would like a bigger cargo area. I would have liked to wait for the 2015 Outbacks to arrive before making a decision, but I can't wait until mid to late July.

  • grahampetersgrahampeters AustraliaPosts: 1,672

    @dcm61 said: My car was declared a total loss. Initital estimate was ~$15k to fix and I suspect there was more hidden damage. I lose the insurance rental on Friday, so I need to find a new ride SOON.

    I will most likely get another Subaru and am leaning toward a 2015 Forester 2.5i Touring. I liked my Impreza Sport Limited, but would like a bigger cargo area. I would have liked to wait for the 2015 Outbacks to arrive before making a decision, but I can't wait until mid to late July.

    G'day

    Glad to hear that it is a write off. Looked like a lot of damage.

    You could do worse than taking a longish term rental from a local second or third tier rental firm. We have something like "Rent a Wreck" her but the actual cars hired are 2-3 year old and in decent condition. If you just ned to buy yourself some time whilst making a decision, this is very appealing.

    Cheers

    Graham

  • xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,686

    Yeah, I agree. If you can buy yourself some time, you'll be happier with your decision in the long run! Unless, of course, you're completely sold on the Forester, in which case now is as good of a time as any (assuming you can get the options/trim you want).

    I certainly understand the time crunch; I experienced that with the demise of our '96 Outback. While I felt like our replacement vehicle was a reasonable approximation of what we wanted, it certainly represented a compromise.

    2010 Subaru Forester, 2011 Ford Fiesta, 1969 Chevrolet C20 Pickup, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250 Pickup, 1974 Ford Pinto Wagon
  • dcm61dcm61 Posts: 1,481

    Picked up my new Burnished Bronze 2015 Forester 2.5i Touring this afternoon. :smile:

  • xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,686

    @dcm61 said: Picked up my new Burnished Bronze 2015 Forester 2.5i Touring this afternoon. :smile:

    That's great, Dave! Sounds like a nice color to me. The only downside I can see is that, with a Touring model, you're surely stuck with the automatic (CV) transmission. Steer clear of intersecting trajectories with this one, will ya?! :p

    2010 Subaru Forester, 2011 Ford Fiesta, 1969 Chevrolet C20 Pickup, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250 Pickup, 1974 Ford Pinto Wagon
  • jfljfl Posts: 1,356

    Dave, congrats on the new wheels.

    Just rotated my tires the other day. Waxed the rims inside and out too.

  • dcm61dcm61 Posts: 1,481

    Thanks Wes and jfl.

    Well, the love affair didn't last very long. ;) Drove into a BMW dealer with 67 miles on the odometer and drove out with a 428i xDrive convertible. Really, I did. :)

    Also drove an Audi A5 2.0T Quattro convertible, Mercedes C350 coupe, Lexus IS 250 convertible, BMW 428i xDrive coupe, BMW 435i coupe.

    BMW had an Un4Gettable Test Drive Event to introduce the 4 series and compare them against some competitors.

    Drove out with a 2015 Subaru Forester with 67 miles, with no regrets. B)

  • dcm61dcm61 Posts: 1,481

    @xwesx said: That's great, Dave! Sounds like a nice color to me. The only downside I can see is that, with a Touring model, you're surely stuck with the automatic (CV) transmission. Steer clear of intersecting trajectories with this one, will ya?! :p

    I may be in the minority, but I like the CVT transmission.

    I got the Burnished Bronze because the deer fur will blend in; it stood out too much on a red car. lol

Sign In or Register to comment.