Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subaru Crew - Meet The Members II

Comments

• xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,563
    edited June 2

@dcm61 said: Oh No! Another deer attack.

Hahhahahahaha! Dave, you are on a serious roll! As far as the CVT goes, there's nothing wrong with it aside from it still being an automatic; I simply prefer manual. :p

2010 Subaru Forester, 2011 Ford Fiesta, 1969 Chevrolet C20 Pickup, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250 Pickup, 1974 Ford Pinto Wagon
  • rshollandrsholland Posts: 19,688
    edited June 3

@dcm61 said: Picked up my new Burnished Bronze 2015 Forester 2.5i Touring this afternoon. :smile:

Very nice Dave. :) I think you will be very happy with the Forester. Does it have navigation? What dealer did you get it from?

BTW, you're not the only one who likes CVTs. ;)

Bob

• hondafriekhondafriek Ottawa CanadaPosts: 2,927
    edited June 4

Dave, glad to see no one was hurt in the deer strike, congratulations and good luck with the new forester.

Cheers Pat..

• dcm61dcm61 Posts: 1,472

@rsholland said: Very nice Dave. I think you will be very happy with the Forester. Does it have navigation? What dealer did you get it from?

No, it does not have navigation or Eyesight, but does have HIDs, Keyless Access/Start, 18" rims, Harman Kardon speakers, etc. Got it from Rafferty Subaru.

edited June 5

@hondafriek said: Dave, glad to see no one was hurt in the deer strike, congratulations and good luck with the new forester.

Cheers Pat..

Thanks Pat. And very belated condolences on your loss of Mac.

• fibber2fibber2 Mid Hudson Valley, NYPosts: 3,735

Catching up after another long hiatus from the boards. Dave: Sorry to hear about your conflict with Bambi, but it sounds like you have a nice new ride. You did have me going for a bit with the BMW post, and I had to read it twice before I laughed!

Speaking of Bambi, I have (had?) the nicest line of Hosta plants along the driveway, and this morning they were gone! I got sloppy with my application of Liquid Fence, and the herd staged a stealth attack overnight.

Yeah, it was weird driving into the dealership with a brand new car.

Opening Father's Day weekend ... Revenge of the Herds. See movie listings for locations and times.

I love Hostas; they make a great ground cover around ornamental trees, etc. No luck with that sort of thing in these parts, though. I have to wonder if the moose would bother...? Probably - they're spiteful that way!

What is this "liquid fence?" Is it garden-safe? Effective?

2010 Subaru Forester, 2011 Ford Fiesta, 1969 Chevrolet C20 Pickup, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250 Pickup, 1974 Ford Pinto Wagon
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,246

The deer love them in the UP too, but mostly they love my neighbor's garden more.

In topical news, I no longer own a Subaru. We've downsized to one car, an '09 Grand Caravan.

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

That's sad, Steve. It was nice knowing you! :p

In topical news.... your honorary membership starts now! B)

Thanks, and if you see an F-150 with TN plates pulling a pop-up camper around Fairbanks, that's my brother.

I shall keep my eyes peeled!

I disagree - toss him to the curb for selling his Subi!

Liquid Fence is putrified eggs and other good stuff. If you are a mammal with any sort of nose you will likely hightail it in the opposite direction! It typically takes some training to change the feeding habits of the deer, so initially you spray it (2 oz of concentrate to a qt of water) each week for a month, and then you can slack off to a maintenance dose of every 4 weeks or so.

But I got sloppy and the younger brood, not knowing they should skirt my land, came in to feed. I sprayed when I got home last night and by then they'd gone after not just the hostas but also the hydrangeas, flox and a bunch of other stuff. Do I look like I'm operating an unlimited salad bar???

Thanks for the added info, Steve! I'm not sure that solution will work for us, since my wife is highly sensitive to smells and she has to be able to stand being in her own yard/garden! But, I'll mention it to her. :)

Wes, day 1 is a bit nasty, but it quickly fades to the point that only dog & deer noses can detect it! Spray it on days she's planning to be out, or before you call it a night. And after a few weeks you'll only be using it once a month anyhow. It's a small price to pay to enjoy a beautiful garden and to have a yard devoid of deer poop.

• kate5000kate5000 Posts: 1,267

@rsholland said: For those who do not know, I became a grandad on Thursday. Daughter Mairen gave birth to a healthy baby boy, named Ben. Everyone is doing well. Needless to say, we are on cloud nine. :)

Bob

Congratulations, Bob!

I'm so happy for you! --kate

SubaruBucks no more! Just got a letter from Chase. My Subie Chase card will be replaced with Chase Freedom. AAAAAAA!

@kate5000 said: SubaruBucks no more! Just got a letter from Chase. My Subie Chase card will be replaced with Chase Freedom. AAAAAAA!

Also rec'd a letter today. Rumor was that it was going to end in September, but Chase was mum about it. Would have been nice if they had given a little more advance notice.

@kate5000 said: --kate

Thanks Kate! Everyone is doing well. Ben has almost doubled his weight since he was born. :)

image.jpg 138.5K

one very beautiful boy!

is Juice still around here?

@kate5000 said: one very beautiful boy!

is Juice still around here?

Thanks. We think so too. :)

Saw AJ and family on Labor Day. They stopped by to see the baby. Not sure why he hasn't been posting? It's been very slow here on the Subaru forums for some time. Hardly anybody posts here anymore.

• robr2robr2 BostonPosts: 7,898

OK Subanistas - I've become enamored with this:

2012 Legacy 2.5i with Navigation White over what they call Ivory leather trimmed seats - looks like cloth to me. Unicorn spec 6 speed manual Asking $17,900 with 28K on the clock.

What should I look for>

Thought I heard that Juice's employer blocked access to a bunch of websites from work?

@stever said: Thought I heard that Juice's employer blocked access to a bunch of websites from work?

Don't know anything about that.

Well, tell him to at least check in sometime. I wanna know how those "new" phones are working out. ;)

@robr2 said: OK Subanistas - I've become enamored with this:

2012 Legacy 2.5i with Navigation White over what they call Ivory leather trimmed seats - looks like cloth to me. Unicorn spec 6 speed manual Asking $17,900 with 28K on the clock.

What should I look for>

Mmmm....a six speed manual! Can't even get a manual on the Legacy/Outback any more. Just when they started moving the looks of the car in the right direction. /sigh

I think 2012 is when they moved the Legacy to the new FB engine, so that's a plus. 28K miles means there wasn't really enough time to do anything too terribly wrong to the car (unless it is still on its first oil change!). Ivory leather seating sounds nice, except for the potential for scuff/stain marks.

Overall, sounds like a reasonable deal given age, mileage, and cost of new. Where is the region? Any potential for flood damage or some other nasty surprise?

edited September 8

@dcm61 said: Also rec'd a letter today. Rumor was that it was going to end in September, but Chase was mum about it. Would have been nice if they had given a little more advance notice.

Looks like it is time for me to check my mail to get the details....

I'm not even sure what to replace them with. Most "rewards programs" are so useless these days, and there's pretty much ZERO out there in the automotive realm.

• robr2robr2 BostonPosts: 7,898

@xwesx said: Mmmm....a six speed manual! Can't even get a manual on the Legacy/Outback any more. Just when they started moving the looks of the car in the right direction. /sigh

I think 2012 is when they moved the Legacy to the new FB engine, so that's a plus. 28K miles means there wasn't really enough time to do anything too terribly wrong to the car (unless it is still on its first oil change!). Ivory leather seating sounds nice, except for the potential for scuff/stain marks.

Overall, sounds like a reasonable deal given age, mileage, and cost of new. Where is the region? Any potential for flood damage or some other nasty surprise?

According to Carfax, it has 38K miles. It's had two owners and 3 service records in that time. All use looks to be in New England. Here is the vehicle: http://www.herbchambers.com/used/Subaru/2012-Subaru-Legacy-d3127c760a0a00de1a719c214c271e88.htm

That is cloth interior. They didn't make leather with the manual in 2012, now that I think about it. Photos are horrible, so that may be a concern when considering the quality of the dealer.

Two owners in 38,000 miles... ? Could be a warning sign, could be nothing. Mine has had a bit of a history, too. I found out by accident last month that the original purchaser was a male (dealer said the buyer who traded it to them was an older female), so it may be that mine had two previous owners and it only had <14K on the clock!

Sometimes manual transmissions lead to short ownership times because people just didn't get what they thought they'd get out of the manual.

edited September 8

First year for FB25 in Legacy/Outback was 2013.

Forester = 2011 Impreza = 2012 (FB20)