Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru Crew - Meet The Members II

Comments

• ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Bob - have you tried...Bob? BOB?

Too late! LOL

-juice
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    I'm working off my son's PC. First time ever on a PC!

I tried running Speed Disk yesterday_and my desktop disappeared!

My G-4 is now with Mac Medics, and I'm hoping I didn't somehow erase my hard drive. Everyone, PRAY for my G-4 and me...

Fortunately I have everything backed up on CDs, I just hope it doesn't come to that...

Bob
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    Mac Medics? Is that a store? I have to start advertising my services more. So many people blow up their PCs I could be re-doing them all the time :)

-mike
    It's a MAC-only repair/reseller. I've been using them for years, as have many in the Balt/Wash/Philly design community.

http://www.macmedics.com/

Bob
  • kenskens Member Posts: 5,869
    Bob -- I'm hoping for the best!

Ken
  • bsvollerbsvoller Member Posts: 528
    Unix-based systems in general do not tolerate unexpected power-down well. OS X is based on the Berkely BSD spec, so in this sense, it is prolly more vunerable than the Mac OS 7-9, which were very robust in this respect, relatively speaking. (Mac OS 7-9 had plenty of other instabilities, mind you, I'm not arguing that point here at all...)

I once had an unexpected fault occur during a disk driver update(!) under OS 8.5.1 - my disk driver was toast, and no 3rd party utility would offer to do anything but reformat (The correct behavior, by the way, but I tried them all anyway). On a whim I rebooted and the OS found a backup driver on a hidden partition, then mounted the disk so that I could get my data off before reformatting - Try THAT under Windoze !

Talk about a life-saver, all I had to do was reboot and let the system sort it out (and ignore it's snicker, I'm sure it was snickering at me..."Man, look at what this dumb-bunny did. Sheesh, the things I have to put up with...and look, he's running multiple partitions on multiple physical disks across different data buses with different OS versions installed on each, so I've gotta keep all that straight while I'm at it...").

I know that OS X "Server" 1.0 - the beta version of the OS X sold today, was highly susceptible to disk damage from unexpected power-down, as are most Unix systems to my knowledge. They're descended from a mainframe OS, afterall.

-brianV - former Apple System Admin
    I haven't upgraded to OS 10 yet, and won't until Quark offers a "native" version of it. I'm hoping Quark 6.0 will be native to OS X. I know current Quark will run on OS 10 only when it reverts back to OS 9 (Classic), or so I'm told. In any event, Mac Medics suggested I hold off, which is what I'm doing.

Bob
  • kate5000kate5000 Member Posts: 1,271
    The front page http://townhall.edmunds.com/cgi-bin/townhall features an article on juice (ateixeira),in the section Member spotlight.
  • bsvollerbsvoller Member Posts: 528
    Bob: If Quark is a must have app for you, then stick with what you're doing or setup a dual boot into native 9.1 and 10.2 (I think you can do this with 10.2 - I've been out of the loop for a while on the Mac side, and our resident Mac guru is at lunch). I would not run Quark under 10.2/Classic unless you have a really screaming machine with gobs of real RAM. I also would not run 10.1 or earlier unless you're prepared to deal with quirk-city.

OS X is truly a sweet deal, and worth the price of admission if you have the hardware to run it (I don't), it's just not for everybody until the remaining "big apps" get on board natively. Quark is one of the last hold-outs in that respect.

-brianV
  • bat1161bat1161 Member Posts: 1,784
    Congrats Juice! I bet you it was that picture Mike posted that put you over the top.

Mark
    Well, I am featured, I dunno about the star stuff. Maybe because I was the only male at that Forester reunion. ;-)

OK, since the Members are in a techie mood, anyone know MS Access? I deleted files from a table, and want to undelete 'em. Can't undo, it's too many files. The data is not yet compacted, so I know it's there.

Any chance of recovering it? VB Macro? Show hidden/deleted files? The help goes into detail about VB scripting, that's not what I need.

-juice
    So yes, it's a must have. I know it will run on OS X, but in 9 Classic mode, and very slow.

Bob
  • hondafriekhondafriek Member Posts: 2,984
    To juice, in his case I know we will not have to make any door frames wider:-)

Cheers Pat.
    Even if my head does get big, I lose more hair and overall it looks the same size. ;-)

-juice
    You just validated what I wrote in that you are a grounded individual:-).

Cheers Pat.
    it's the space between the hair that increases. So your head looks sparse. ;)
    So I'm not balding, then! LOL

-juice
    Anyboby else notice that Bit appears to be M.I.A. again.

Cheers Pat.
  • locke2clocke2c Member Posts: 5,038
    juice,

you are hosed. everything happens instantaneously in access, there are no transaction logs...

restore file or repopulate table.

-Colin
    Why not just restore from a backup version of the database? That's what I'd do.

-mike
    I figured as much. I'm not a fan of Access at all. In my previous department it could not handle small-scale multi-user access very well at all, and was generally unreliable.

I used to love Foxpro and Clipper 95, though I haven't done database programming in years. Unless a table had been packed I could've restored it. Oh well.

edit: it was sent from a client on a CD, mike. The user thought it was read only but didn't realize I had a CD-RW, DOH! Deleted, gone.

-juice
    That's a bummer.

I have a database being served on a mac using filemaker pro, it's amazing how well that does on like an 66mhz power-pc with 16mb of ram!

-mike
    800Mhz, 512MB, no dice. "Cannot undo" because it's too big to handle a 32MB file. Pathetic.

-juice
    Can't they get another copy of the CD from whoever they got it from?

Probably easier and quicker.

-mike
    Remember, our clients are overseas, plus this was snail-mailed. I'm coaching them on compressing the files and getting them here via e-mail.

To bring this back on topic, this client is in South America, where they've had Forester turbos available for years!

-juice
  • subearusubearu Member Posts: 3,613
    I'm sure he'd have posted this link about Windows Automotive 4.2 (and it's Subaru related too! ;-) )

http://www.caranddriver.com/xp/Caranddriver/dai/2003/april/200304- 23_dai_microsoft.xml

-Brian
    Wow, Subaru is listed. Must be their technology in Japan, not here.

Though I have to ask, do we really need to offer more incentive for people to use their phone while driving? Pull over, folks.

-juice
  • yellowbikedon1yellowbikedon1 Member Posts: 94
    Congrats on being in the Edmunds spotlight. You deserve the kind words.

BTW, is it really about five years since this all started? I can remember when we all cheered the 1,000th comment!

You and Bob do a fantastic job for all of us and I'm sure I speak for just about everyone when I say "THANKS!"

Don
    But it's really everyone here, not just juice and myself.

Bob
  • locke2clocke2c Member Posts: 5,038
    I definitely joined Edmunds' townhall in 1998, but no the current format and Subaru Crew has not existed that long.

Things rounded into the shape they are now about two years ago. Maybe two and a half.

-Colin
  • yellowbikedon1yellowbikedon1 Member Posts: 94
    Like Juice would say of Subaru, our forum has been one of "form following function!" Don
  • armac13armac13 Member Posts: 1,129
    I'd like to add my congratulations and thanks. I first posted more than 3 years ago (how time flies) and the Crew was instrumental in my decision to buy the Forester (remember when the topic heading read Forrester?). Even though the car is (sadly) gone, I still lurk and occasionally post. You and a number of the other old timers have helped maintain the Crew as a wonderful haven of sanity, unity, and good will. Keep up the good work all.
    ;-)

Ross
    Joined in July of '00, right about when we purchased our '00 Winestone Outback wagon.

I became an OCD graduate one year later. ;-)

BTW, how/where is Patti?

-Brian
  • lucien2lucien2 Member Posts: 2,984
    I know I was lurking in late 1998, but I don't think I posted until early 1999. I probably posted in the SUV areas 1st, since I had an 1986 4Runner at the time.

wish I still did.....
    But I'd guess in '98 as well.

-mike
    Anybody hear from Frank recently? I'm wondering if he's been caught up in the Iraq thing? He disappeared on or about the time that all broke loose.

Bob
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    If anyone is interested in knowing the date they joined and how many times they have logged in since then, send me an email. I can look it up for you. :-)
    Can you find out # of posts as well? Do I really want to know how many posts I have here? ;-)

-Brian
    I would like to know as well including # of posts if possible, I know I was lurking for about a year before I actually joined.

Cheers Pat.
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    Yes, it is possible. Rather time consuming process if it's a large number, but it can be done.
    I don't want to make extra work for you or your staff, but it would interesting for Edmunds to do a tally of their top 100 posters throughout all the Edmunds forums, as well as the top 100 in terms of Town Hall membership. I bet the Subaru Crew would be well represented.

Food for thought...

Bob
  • kenskens Member Posts: 5,869
    I believe I joined back in 98 soon after purchasing my Forester.

I wouldn't be suprised if Subaru owners came out on top of number of posts too.

Ken
  • nygregnygreg Member Posts: 1,936
    is when I joined. Bought my 01 OB, April of 01. Had it inspected today and had the Sport A2s rotated (X pattern). Tire noise appears to have decreased.

Greg
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Now I know what to give Karen next Christmas.

Another can of worms, lol.

Remember the Subaru Crew chat tonight (3.5 hours from now). Links are all over this page.

Steve, Host
  • ladywclassladywclass Member Posts: 1,713
    wanting to know how many times you posted?????
    LOL .. ok .. no worse than some of the stuff *I* do ... <sheepish look>
    I joined in '98, but I think we started the Subaru Crew in 2000 or 2001. Still, the Crew was created from several regulars, and most of those are still here. :-)

Oh boy, Karen, I'm not sure I want to know how many times I've logged in. 365*5, hmm, not every day, but I bet it's still over 1000 for me.

See you folks at the chat in an hour?

-juice
  • fibber2fibber2 Member Posts: 3,786
    We even had a guest visit by Graham (all the way from Oz).

Got back last night from 10 days in Orlando. My dad is fighting cancer and wanted to get the family all together for a big outing. So on his treat, 9 of us headed south. Did Sea World, Splendid China, and all of the Disney parks (Magic Kingdom, Animal Kingdom, Epcot, MGM, the water parks, etc.). Up early, out all day, big dinners at fancy restaurants each night.

Remarkably, we all had a terrific time (family dynamics being what they are). But I did get spoiled. Made the mistake of getting on the plane and packing our coats! When Beth, Emily and I arrived at Newburgh, NY in short sleeves, we had to run thru blowing snow from the turboprop pad to the terminal!

I slept a good part of today. Fighting a bug, plus have a Soccer Coaches clinic tomorrow early evening, so probably going to skip the NY Auto Show this year.

I had almost 200 posts to wade thru on the MTM thread. Now off to the others.

Steve
  • fibber2fibber2 Member Posts: 3,786
    Greg - everything still OK?

I started lurking, then posting about 2 years ago when I started to think seriously about the Subaru. Almost bought an '01, but instead grabbed an early '02.

Funny, but when I signed up 2 years ago I got FIBBER2. A few months ago I found my original Edmunds registration for FIBBER1 - from 1998 IIRC!

Steve
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Apparently never posted, or those posts are buried in old archives that don't show up in my meager index tools. Neither did the "original" Steve post, nor is there any indication that he drove a Subaru.

Steve, Host
  • dcm61dcm61 Member Posts: 1,567
    for Dave? All 3,757,867 of them. ;-)

DaveM (one of many)