Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Corolla Transmission Questions

Comments

• veronnieveronnie Posts: 2
    Well, (this is a long story, but I need some help) I don't have a new version car, but I have a 93 TC (kept in good shape) that has been very good to me until a week ago; I purchase $20.00 worth of gas that gave me a half a tank and a day later my car start acting up..... I was driving about 40 mph going up an incline leading up to 45 and it begin to drop back in speed. Then I shift down to second gear hoping it would bring the speed back up but it didn't, so each time I was pressing the gas paddle I was not getting any power....its like somebody pull the plug out on me....Anyway...I was able to get through 2 lights before I had to pull over. I was going up an incline and the more I press the paddle I wasn't getting any speed. it was going slow.....pull to the side of the street and the car cut off. Try to start it up nothing. We tried everything to get it started up ....nothing. Then I was so mad inside because no one stopped to help me in this heat, not even the popo (police)......Called my husband for help. A private auto repairman friend and myself checked everything to see what the problem could be....Battery..good, each time turning the ignition switch the car not start until my good battery went down. After about 4 hrs it eventually started up with the help of a bottle of HEET (after taking off the fuel ejector and taking it to a auto shop to purchase thinking that was the problem according to ..... wow for one ejector cost $129.99 a piece...put on order). Went back to the car and for about 10 block it was driving well; then it cut off again couldn't get it started back up. Had to push it. So, this is what i already purchases: TSP, spark plugs and wires, fire ejection O rings etc., air filter, A HOLD LOT OF PATIENT. So who can help me because the ppl that knows about cars????? keep telling me its this and its that. What do you all have to say that can help me get my car started. Oh yeah it have 172253 thousand miles....highway miles and 15 yrso. Help!!!!!
  • raye5raye5 Posts: 3
    Veronnie

I am not an expert but I have a thought based upon something that happened to me back in the 80's with a Corolla I loved and pumped life into until it was a losing battle. I think your engine (piston's and rings) are asking for retirement. Have someone check the pressure in the engine when you can get it running. If the engines sound - congratulations. If it is not, decide where you want to put your dollars.

Good Luck
  • veronnieveronnie Posts: 2
    Thank you for that information because no one seem to know what the problem is. I was told by a guy to drain the oil out and refill it with some heavier oil for old engine to help reseal the piston and etc. so, I guess he was right since you mention it. The engine sound good, but it seems as if something is clogging it up because once you drive it around and come back and turn off the car it want start by up and pressing the paddle sometimes cause the car to shut off. What problems did you have in 80?
  • I have a 2005 Corolla with almost 56,000 miles and I am having the exact same problem! It is in the shop as we speak, so if Toyota finds anything- I will definitely post it. I had a trusted mechanic tell me the exact same thing- that one of my front axels has "too much play" in it and that it could be the differential in the transmission... which would cost a min. of $1,000 to get into that- I have only 4,000 miles left on my powertrain warranty so I hope that they figure it out, but it took a good 1/2 hour of driving with the mechanic to have it finally make the noise! I am so happy to see that I am not the only one and will definitely, definitely post something later after I get another call from them!
  • 759566759566 Posts: 3
    I had a problem with my trans, this happened two different times and i told them the next time they would have to buy it back under the lemon law. The trans would just quit pulling, get in it the next day it would work fine. I read about another person who had the same problem in 08. So I told them to do some research. They did and toyota told them to change the engine wireing harness, so far it has worked.
  • 759566759566 Posts: 3
    I only had about 3,000 miles and a place starting wearing out at the gas pedal. They told me that was normal wear, that was a joke these mats costs $161.00. I made them give me a new set, they are doing the same thing. This is the first Corolla I have ever bought and the worst car I have owned. Trans. problems and floor mats won't last 3,000 miles
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Posts: 1,667
    Just buy some WeatherTech mats or Toyota all-weather mats. Both these are made for your specific model. They last a lot longer and provide better protection. My '99 Corolla had carpet mats that wore out very quickly, but no other issues, still going strong at 104,000 miles.
  • Hi there,

Odometer: 93,000 miles. I recently discovered a slightly grinding noise, that got higher in pitch the more I accelerated. When I reached 40 mph is usually disappeared and came back once my speed dropped below the 40 mph mark again. After a couple of weeks the noise disappeared. But now my reverse gear is causing problems. When I shift into RG the transmission does not pull. I hit the gas pedal but the car won't move. It basically behaves as being on Neutral. Do I have to get a new transmission? Any help is highly appreciated! Many thanks in advance!
  • terceltomterceltom Posts: 1,017
    How's the transmission fluid level?
  • Thanks for your reply!

Fluid level looks ok to me.

Two additions:

1. This car is the Sport ('S') model.
    2. If the engine is cold, the reverse gear works (f.e. if I start the car in the morning). Once I have driven a couple of miles and the engine is warmed up, the reverse gear does not clutch anymore.

Many thanks in advance!
  • 19841984 Posts: 16
    2003 Corolla S, Auto. Shifter was difficult to move from P to D etc. Took to dealer last week. They claimed cable needed to lubed - so they lubed it. Was still difficult to shift still (little better than when car went to dlr. Started car this morning, reversed and wanted to shift to D. Now car won't start and will roll no matter what indicator is - even when in P.
  • JpisJpis Posts: 2
    I was wondering if you get any answer from the shop.
    I have a 2001 corolla and Just had the same problem last week.
  • davec4davec4 Posts: 8
    Hello all! I have a '95 Toyotao Corolla with about 175K miles. It feels like my transmission won't go from 3rd to 4th (overdrive). At first it was intermittent but now happens more often than not. The transmission fluid level is good and there's no "check engine" light. Any possible cause?
  • JpisJpis Posts: 2
    Well, After going thru a lot of options, finally I had to change the transmission of my car. The fluid look ok , when I checked, but when I try to change all the fluid I found out that is kind of burned (weird), and the transmission will fail If I speed over 20mph.

With the new transmission I havent had any trouble. It works perfect.
    So I will have to trust the mechanic and believe it was the transmision and nothing else.
  • kipkkipk Posts: 1,576
    A catalytic converter will act similar to that when they need replacing.
  • jsuperjsuper Posts: 1
    When should I have the Transmission fluid changed along with the spark plugs? I now have 77000 miles on my 2002 Toyota Corolla.
  • terceltomterceltom Posts: 1,017
    Toyota iridium plugs cost about $10.00 apiece and last about 150,000 miles. I would say drain and refill the tranny fluid now but don't flush and refill.
  • ayman1ayman1 Posts: 1
    my car is 2001 corolla Sport ('S') model.
    problem is:

If the engine is cold, the reverse gear works ( if I start the car in the morning). Once I have driven a couple of miles and the engine is warmed up, the reverse gear does not clutch anymore.
  • When I drive 2010 Toyota corolla LE 1.8L I got speed 70 MPH, I saw # 4000 RPM. Is this normal ?
    Could Someone please tell me when speed 70 MPH, 80 MPH how RPM should be with Toyota LE 1.8L. Thank a lot for help.
  • pyeepyee Posts: 2
    Ok, I have a 04 Toyota Corolla with 75000k, that in the past year my husband has dogged the crap out of. This is the situation. Because I wasn't usto driving stated vehicle for a while I wasn't usto the breaks. Anyway, I didn't have my foot all the way down and put car in park. Ever since than the check light has been on. Also, when you start it, it races to like 3k and then dies down but as it is coming down it acts as if it want to cut off, which it does sometimes. I also have a 07 Ford Focus battery in it. What sound like the problem.

History: Oil Change, Spark Plugs Change, Filter Change, Fuel ejector cleaner in and a new starter which is about 8 months old.