Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Prius Paint Quality?

2»

Comments

• rick294rick294 Posts: 77
    This is very odd. I have an '08 and don't have that problem. I drive 72 miles on freeway 5 days a week and don't have but a very few little rock chips. Nothing wrong with the plastic around the base of the wipers... :confuse:
  • ddgcddgc Posts: 3
    reply to ggala:
    I would be more than willing to add my input to any avenue that you may find for more "witness" or whatever we can do to see if Toyota will own up to this cheap paint job. I'm tired of the runaround and non-responsibility of Toyota.
    thanks
    ddgc
  • Yep...me too. And also having swirl marks just from routine car washings. I thought about repainting the whole thing
  • guildguyguildguy Posts: 1
    I bought a 2007 Prius a little over 2 years ago and I'm so mad about all the marks on the front of my car. The car has dark paint and there are nicks all over the hood and bumper where white stuff shows underneath. When I bought the car I let them talk me into spending $500 to apply a coat of protectant on it but it still has the marks. I'm taking it back to the dealer this week to see if I can get any satisfaction. I've owned plenty of cars in my lifetime and have never had issues with paint like this. It's a great car for gas milage (I'm averaging 49 over 2 years) but the appearance after all the white shows up is unacceptable. They will probably try to tell me it's my fault for not cleaning bugs off quickly enough, but as I said I've never had this problem before. It's only got 23,000 miles on it mainly city interstate driving.
  • bshugartbshugart Posts: 4
    A month ago I went back to the dealer from whom I purchased my 2007 Prius to see about upgrading to a 2010 model. I pointed out the problem with the paint on the hood and he acted like he never heard of it before. Told him it was all over the internet and would not be surprised to see a class action over it. The 2010 models had not arrive yet, but he promised to call when they came in a couple of weeks out. Have yet to hear from him. Think demand is such, they don't give a hoot about our paint issue.
    You've done the first thing - contact the dealer. The dealer doesn't care. Next step: contact the district office. The procedure (without my owner's manual in front of me), should be outlined in the owner's manual. Don't give up; they are hoping you will. Don't give them the satisfaction. Time is on your side - good luck.
  • fantesia28fantesia28 Posts: 15
    I wonder if the paint issue has been corrected in the 2010 models? I previously had a 2007 Camry and had some of the same issues with the paint quality... numerous chips + tons of scratches! I swear all you had to do was walk by the car and it got a scratch on it! I am super paranoid about this happening to my new prius now - but I am praying that the paint perhaps has been improved. I know with my honda I never had any issues with the paint scratching so easily!
  • I really can't say I've had issues (2004) but I would say the paint is average compared to other cars. I've had Mercedes and Audi too and they all get minor chips on the front due to their aerodynamic shape. They sell this smoked acrylic bra for the Prius and it really works great. It is less than $100 and you can buy it online. It solved the problem of paint chips on the front of the hood. Otherwise, the paint is holding up well.
  • thriusthrius Posts: 1
    In June we bought a 2010 Prius, that dark "cobalt" blue....gorgeous color. There have been appearing small "amoeba"-like etchings in the paint....looks like water stains; can be felt with a fingernail. Have there been any problems with that color...or with staining or etching of other colors of the Prius...?? This is our third Prius......2005, 2008, 2010.......Thanx......thrius.
  • wvgasguywvgasguy Posts: 1,405
    Acid rain?
    Do you wash the car yourself? If so, be sure to wipe it down with a chamois or microfiber towel (while the car is still wet), afterwards. Where I live, we have well water and if I don't hand dry the car, mineral spots will be left behind, and they are really unsightly.
    I'm sure they work well. Only problem is, is that they create turbulence and can cause somewhat lower gas mileage - on any vehicle. Same for roof racks, etc.
  • We bought a Prius September 2009. This car has MANY scratches in the paint all over the car.There are scratches/nicks in the hood that go down to the metal. I have driven for 20+ years and have NEVER had so much damage show up in a car that is only a year old. I will never buy a Toyota car again.

:mad:

I really feel Toyota has chosen to go cheap with painting their cars.A relative has a 1999 Toyota Corolla that looks BETTER than my 2010.Toyota shrugs and blames me for the paint damage.
  • mickeyrommickeyrom Posts: 936
    I have a 2007 Prius with 53,000 miles on it and the paint is perfect.I agree with your relative.Scratches don't don't just magically appear,even with cheaper paint.
  • FWIW My 2004 Silver Prius with 81,000 miles on it still looks like new. Always garaged. Never been through a car wash with brushes. I can count the rock chips on one hand.

Of course I live in the south. No road salt. Little snow. I still can't believe the car is 8 years old. The headlights were yellowing. Thirty minutes with a 3M restore kit and they look nearly...though not totally...new.
  • xueyamxueyam Posts: 1
    I bought this on bay Ridge toyota in brooklyn After only 750 miles first month the car wax was gone the front especially the most of the car looks like it has been through a battle. The paint scratches so easily and i paid more than $37,000 and the manager said this not a paint problem is scratch by hand but ever two week i wash the car i will see new more scratch on my car and the scratch don't look like scratch by hand now i already bought this car for about 4 month the scratch has post on both side on top from front to back to spoiler from now may-8-2012 i still saw new scratch.
2»