Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

54 Chevy Bel Air hartop

2»

Comments

• isellhondasisellhondas Issaquah WashingtonPosts: 17,349
    Quad headlights were available on some Chrysler cars in the states that permitted them. Of course, in 1958, everyone had them.
  • andre1969andre1969 Posts: 21,587
    Quad headlights were available on some Chrysler cars in the states that permitted them. Of course, in 1958, everyone had them.

Yeah, I think that's why they didn't offer a kit for '57 Chrysler cars! You couldn't get quads on a '57 Dodge, Plymouth, or DeSoto Firesweep, but you could always just convert it, using 1958 parts. And the Chryslers, Imperials, and bigger DeSotos just offered them from the get-go in '57, in the states that had them legal.

I saw a one-off concept of a '57 Bonneville that had quad headlights, and it was actually pretty sharp looking. The fenders were actually redesigned to take the headlights though, so they weren't just stuck on as afterthoughts like those '58 Packardbakers. Another nasty quad setup that just popped into my mind is the 1957 Mecury.
    That final "Packard" that they built in 1958 was nothing but a disgrace to a fine line of great cars.

That car should have never happened.
  • It was merely a Studebaker with a goofy fiberglass hood. Nothing more.
    I know, but they put the Packard name on it.

An unfitting end to a great marque.
  • lemkolemko Posts: 15,070
    Three things I hate on classic '50s cars - Continental kits, Cruiser skirts, and Blue Dot taillights! Good God, why ruin perfectly good taillamps lenses with this stupid accessory?
    Shoot, my Dad has an old Mechanix Illustrated "How To Do It" encyclopedia that shows you how to update a dual headlight system to a quad system on a 1957 Ford. Believe me, the results are WEIRD!!! It must look super strange on a 1957 Chevrolet.
    I agree.

Never once, in my youth did I see a car with blue dot tailights but now, they seem to be the rage on old cars.
  • grbeckgrbeck Posts: 2,361
    The 1957 Nash Ambassador had quad headlights, too.

If I recall correctly, that Nash and the 1957 Cadillac Eldorado Brougham were the first cars with quad headlights as standard equipment.
  • andre1969andre1969 Posts: 21,587
    The 1957 Nash Ambassador had quad headlights, too.

I remember reading somewhere that the Nash was technically illegal in some states, because of that "true" quad headlight setup. But they sold so few of them, something on the order of 5,000 units, that nobody really cared. I used to think that the '57 Lincoln had true quad headlights too, but didn't it actually have a standard sized single headlight on top and a smaller driving light below it, to give that look?
    That's pretty much what the headlamps on the '57 Lincoln were like. I don't understand why they didn't do something like that for the '57 Plymouth instead of having a inner parking lamp with a weird-looking star shaped bezel.
  • grbeckgrbeck Posts: 2,361
    Andre, the Lincoln did have a smaller driving light below the single headlight to make it look as though the car had dual headlights. It looked awkward...the 1956 Lincoln front was much better.

Of course, the tailfins grafted on to the 1956 Lincoln to create the 1957 model didn't help, either.
  • The end of Packard was certainly a sad day and I owned some of the early 50's models and certainly appreciate the fine old Packards from before but in my mind the saving grace in the 58 is that it was a relative to the 53 Studebaker Lowey coupe. I am a lover of all old cars, especially the 50's and if Packard had to go why not with a reference to what I feel was truly a true classic design in the 53 Lowey.
2»