Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2009-10 Hyundai Tucson

Comments

• bpraxisbpraxis Posts: 292
    Happy Holiday's everyone and the new Tucson looks great but I am losing interest.

The major problem Hyundai faces now is resale value which is very weak compared to the Japanese competition.

The new Tucson automatic with four wheel drive will have an MSRP of approximately $24,000.00 and that is without a sunroof.

This price will buy you a 2010 Subaru Forrester with a sun roof for an MSRP of approxmately $24,500.00.

I would guess that after three years the Honda and Toyota would hold about $6000.00 more in resale value than the Tucson.

My guess is after the honeymoon is over if there is one Hyundai will have to rebate this model.

If the dollar strenghtens they may have ample room which would then make it more attractive to me.

One other disadvantage of the Tucson is that it has approximately 15 less cubic feet of storage than the Japanese competition.

My girlfriend has the CRV and we love it and I am leaning towards the Forrester.
  • steverstever Ex Yooper, just arrived in New MexicoPosts: 40,540
    We don't have the 2010 Tucson in the TCO tool yet, but just eyeballing the 09 vs '10 numbers, I think the worst you're looking at over three years is $3,000 in "extra" depreciation for the Tucson vs the Forester. Probably less if you run the numbers with more or less identical options.

Go out 5 years and the TCO for everything gives Subie the edge, but only around $1,500 worth.

The 5 year depreciation difference between the '09 Tucson and '09 CR-V is about $2650 (base models).

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Thank you for your insights Steve and please let me know how soon you will have price information for the 2010 Tucson?

We have owned two prior CRVs and resale value has been golden. Easy to sell and I could not believe what people paid.

Love can conquer all and if I love the Tucson in person that may overcome my left brain.

The Forrester has a strong appeal because of the four wheel drive system which as a good reputation.
    I'm surprised it's not up already, but there are few other makes and models that I guess they are still compiling data on. So ... stay tuned. :shades:

Hondas and Toyotas are probably easier to sell because of their name recognition, but I think the gap is narrowing. Subarus attract another type of owner, and they are golden in the NE and mountain states. I don't think my '97 Outback has lost much value at all in the last couple of years, and it's still worth stupid money considering how old it is.

But yeah, you have to drive what you like (unless what you really like is money in the bank).

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• Drove one today, the limited with out navi. It did not live up-to my expectations. The front grill is impressive but not the side and the rear. looks smaller than CR-V. Trunk is little, I like the dual deck of CR-V more. I am impressed with the acceleration, ride was not very smooth and noisy. the worst part is the price, the sales man started at 31ish for the fully loaded one.
  • Here's a review by James Healy over on USA Today.

His closing statement: •Overall: Could be the new champ among small SUVs.

Enjoy.

USA Today

:D
  • I am going to be looking at Tucson, Forester, Outback, and VW Jetta Sportwagen. I suspect that recent-model Hyundais are going to hold their value quite a bit better than older models because of major improvement in perceived quality. I'm not sure how long I will keep my next vehicle, but I am closing in on 10 years on the one I drive now, and I would think any difference in depreciation would start to get pretty small after six or seven years. Also, the 10-year powertrain warranty on Hyundais could come into play. If you run into a major powertrain repair in year 5-10 on a Subie, any advantage on depreciation could vanish in a hurry.
  • veremverem Posts: 1
    I agree. I haven't looked at it but read a review in the newpaper today. I am currently in process of searching for new vehicle and I'm leaning towards the chevy equinox. they also offer warranty protection/safety features and the vehicle looks nice. The drive is smooth and quiet and I would imagine that if something needs fixing down the road, it'll be cheaper going with a chevrolet. Previously, I really liked the Santa Fe. Decisions, Decisions.....
    Hello everyone and it seems that the Tucson is the same price as the Forrester option for option. With four wheel drive and auto the Tuscon would have an MSRP of $24,200.00, the Forrester would be $24,600.00 with a panaramic moonroof that the Tucson does not have at that price point.

As I mentioned while I very much like the styling of the new Tucson, Hyundai has not yet achieved the resale value of the Japanese automatkers.

The Forrester, CRV and RAV are all larger by 7 inches than the Tucson and have approximatley 15 more cubic feet of luggage space.

If one decided to sell the Tucson for something more exciting in a few years you will get killed price wise vs. the CRV, RAV, etc. I would guess that after three years the CRV would hold $4000.00 more.

As some have mentioned it would be wise to wait for rebates and larger discounts if one is sold on the Tucson.
  • I totally agree with you my friend. Have you compared 2010 outback? I also heard that tucson has a $3000 dealer rebate, what you think if a dealer extends the whole rebate to the customer would tucson worth buying?. I really confused between 2010 tucson, crv and outback. your reply would be of great help to me to arrive at a decision.
    Hello prasadp and it would be my pleasure to help you.

We have a 2009 CRV with 15,000 miles and the build quality is a generation ahead of the other Japanese competitors in my opinion.

The CRV is the best selling sport ute in the US, period and there is a good reason for that.
    Most professional reviews of SUVs will tell you the same that the CRV is best in class.

The Subaru has won SUV of the year for 2010 and has a very competent four wheel drive system. If you live in a northern climate Subaru should be a strong consideration.

The Forrester is a closer match to the CRV and won SUV of the year for 2009. Pricing is a little lower than the CRV.

I would not even consider the 2009 Tucson over the 2010 with the rebate as it is over the hill regarding technology and build quality.

The Toyota RAV 4 while a very competent vehicle is overdue for a complete makeover being six years into its model cycle.

I would choose between the Subaru Forrester and the CRV.

The CRV is the gold standard for resale value and this should be a strong consideration for you. Interior fitment seems like some type of alien technology it is so tight.

It feels like it was carved out of a block of steal like a BMW and handles great for a cute ute.

If you can afford it buy the CRV. If you cant buy a used CRV.

Lastly make sure that the CRV was produced in Japan as noted in the VIN number where you will see a J in the beginning.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    The Toyota RAV 4 while a very competent vehicle is overdue for a complete makeover being six years into its model cycle.

The RAV4 is only one year older than the CR-V you're praising so unabashedly (RAV introduced for 2006, the CR-V, 2007).

I have three Hondas in my driveway, but the CR-V is just one competitive vehicle in a set of many; it doesn't blow all others out of the water.

The best advice? Drive them all yourself, choose from that! :)
  • Thanyou bpraxis for your honest respose, even I like the cr-v. than you again.
    Merry Xmas to the graduate and you have raised a good point.

My mistake in that the Toyota RAV 4 is entering model year 5 as opposed to the sixth model year that I mentioned.

I could be wrong but I believe on average that Japanese vehicles have model runs of 6 years.

I have test driven the majority of vehicles in this class repeatedly and of course I am just expressing my opinion. My girlfriend and I have both been in the market for these vehicles over the last number of years.

The RAV 4 has some major positives which are:

1. Class leading luggage space with easy access

2. Bullet proof Toyota resale value

3. A six cylinder that really scoots

4. Excellent gas milage with the four cylinder

5. Pleasent looking to my eye if not generic and non descript. Certainly not as fun to look at as the 2010 Tucson.

6. Consumer Reports ranked the RAV the best until the Subaru came along.

7. Large dealer network.

8. Made in Japan.

What killed the Toyota for us is the following:

1. Steering feels totally disconnectedd to me

2. Body integrity fees a gereration behind regarding solidity. Feels more like a truck ride.

3. The biggest disappointment for me is the interior which is the pits regarding design and fabric, Drab and cheap would be the best description. The Subaru is not much better with miles of cheap plastic.

4. The body style is simply too plain and non descript but totally non offensive. Toyota really showed some passion and fun with the design of the FJ Cruiser.

Of course this is just one mans view and the RAV 4 is a very competent vehicle and a very intelligent purchase regarding the Toyota reputation and resale. Cant go wrong here.

With auto passion and good cheer,

Brandon
  • Hi Guys!
    I'm not that familiar with mechanic thing..
    recently I change my ATF from a garage they put Toyota T-IV and at 4 liters though they said it works the same with the OEM ATF.
    Q> 4 liters is enough? some forums said it should be 7.8 liters. I didint change my oil filter yet.
    Thanks!
  • aqua2aqua2 Posts: 2
    WOW! I just drove this newly revised little number and I am totally impressed. I had looked at the Rav4 and the CRV. The Rav4 was almost the one BUT I hate that the rear hatch door opens from side to side instead of up and down. My next choice was the CRV, strictly because of resale, BUT here in Colorado as of today, there were only 3 EXL's with navigation but none located in Denver. So I decided the heck with it and went to buy a Santa Fe at McDonald's Hyundai dealership in Littleton Co. While there I noticed this neat looking smaller SUV and realized I was looking at the new Tucson. I mean I am nuts for the styling, both inside and out. The sticker price, the car was LOADED, was $28K and change. They only had one and the color was blue iris, not bad, but not me. It was very comfortable and full of luxury beating the crap out of both the RAV4 and the CRV. It handled like a dream and had great pickup, considering this is a totally new engine. I really came close to buying it but decided to buy the Santa Fe, only because the price was right. If I were a betting person I would bet that dealers are not going to be able to keep this car in stock. It will surprise me if Tucson isn't voted the best 2010 small SUV for 2010. Hyundai designed a winner, in my opinion.
  • asaasa Posts: 359
    Thanks for your post. Was the 2010 Tucson quiet at speed? My wife and I test drove a 2009 Tucson and 2009 Santa Fe and found the Santa Fe was much quieter on the Interstate. We bought neither and decided to wait. The 2010 Tucson is not yet available in our area as of 12/29/09.

We both love manual transmissions and give thanks to Hyundai for being one of the few manufacturers that offer SUVs with a stick. We are dissapointed with the cheapness of Forester's interior -- our '04 Forester's interior is a low-buck shambles and the new Forester appears to use even cheaper materials.
  • I agree with agua2. I test drove the new Tucson yesterday and there is no comparison with the 2009. I don't know if I like the front that much. It reminds me of a Ford. I will have to say though that the ride was very impressive, very quiet, and great power for a 4 cylinder. I reset the computer on my 3+ mile test drive and got about 27/28mpg in mixed driving. This one is definitely on my short list along with the 2010 Equinox. It seems that the Tucson rides better, both are quiet, but the build quality seems better on the Tucson. The Equinox is better looking on the inside and out.
  • The 2010 Tucson doesn't have any current incentives or rebates. The previous generation 2009 Tucson does have some strong incentives. In fact, I just received a quote on a 2009 Tucson GLS 4-cylinder automatic for $17,900. The price I received on a 2010 Tucson GLS automatic was $20,304 with carpet floor mats, and including the $795 destination fee. The new Tucson is in stock at most Chicago-area dealers.

I know this is not the "Prices Paid" forum, but I wanted to address a previous poster's comment on Tucson incentives.
  • Was this the base model with no package equipment? i got a quote from a dealer in WA for $22,590 GLS automatic with popular package and Navi.
  • In this past week I have test driven both the Equinox and the Tucson. Both were automatic, 4 cyl (I bought the Tucson) I'm not a car expert, but I know what I like. I am a professional truck driver for 35 years though, and am used to many different feels to my rides.

I can say that the Equinox was not near as responsive as the Tucson. I accidentally (somehow) revved the engine on the Equinox trying to get more from it that was not forthcoming in the lower gear. Maybe I caught it in between gears trying to get out of traffics way. After that I was afraid to go on the interstate, so I didn't. I did drive it at a pretty good speed on the surface street though. There was no further problem except that in a comparison with Tucson, the Tucson wins.

I've only had the Tucson 2 days and have not really gone anyplace to put it through it's paces. I have gone on the interstate twice though. I've got to say that on the ramp it just sets down and goes with no worry about merging. I purposely gave it more acceleration than needed and there was no hesitation and plenty of power. On the road I drove at around 75 mph at just slightly more than 2000 rpm. There seemed to be plenty of pedal left, and what little engine noise I heard, it didn't seem to be straining.

With all the bells and whistles and pretty lights, for the price, I think I like this car better than any I've owned. The car purists who see nothing but parts of other cars that may or may not have been copied, get over yourself. I cannot tell the difference between a Beemer grill and a VW grill, and I don't even know anybody who knows anybody who can. I know I will never buy a Lexus or a BMW, but I do know I bought a very stylish, good looking car. I got the Garnet Red. and it looks rich and eye catching. I bought the first one in CNY, the dealer only had it over night, and it was the only one he had.

I traded in an '03 4 cyl Hyundai Elantra that I was getting 32 MPG combined driving, not just on the highway. That car was just as tight as the day I bought it, not a squeek or a rattle to be heard. The absolute only money I spent on it was recently 4 new tires, 2 brakes, and a battery that I don't think I needed but the mechanic talked me into it.
  • I had an opportunity to test drive the all new 2011 Hyundai Tucson today. The dealer I visited for my test drive had only two Tucsons on hand, a Limited in the showroom and a GLS for test drives. Seeing the new redesigned sheet metal up close and comparing it to the outgoing model, the differences were contrasted like night and day.
    About the Exterior
    Starting from the front and continuing to the rear, the 2011 Tucson’s exterior communicates a supple, curvaceous, sophisticated shape and shares an obvious family resemblance with its much bigger, Veracruz sibling.

The Interior
    Working my way into the cabin, I found the interior to be quite accommodating, yet exuding the feeling of an upscale, comfortable, roomy and inviting space. All the controls felt top notch and there weren’t any hints of ticky, tacky plastics in any of the touch spot areas. Although the dash area does have hard plastics, which is not unusual for this class of vehicle, the one area that I noticed that could’ve been plusher, was the center arm rest, which could have used a little bit more padding.

The GLS I drove came with alloy wheels, cloth leather combo seating, AM/FM/Satellite/CD, tilt/telescopic steering and steering wheel controls. One of the nicest convenience features of the steering wheel controls, aside from the standard Bluetooth which syncs up to your cell phone, controlling CD/volume/channel surfing, was the ability to turn on/off the radio. Other pluses were the express auto up/down, with pinch control for the driver side.
    I found the front seats as well as all the other seating positions to be very comfortable. The driver’s seat in particular, felt like Hyundai had designed a custom fit glove for me. Impressive. Rear seats do fold flat to increase storage. The other thing that I noticed was that the dash gauge lights are controlled by an electronic dimmer soft push button with plus and minus symbols that offers various levels of either full on bright or all the way to dark. Nice touch.

As I experimented with the electronic dash, dimmer light switch, it reminded me of more expensive vehicles, like BMW, Genesis, Cadillac and others costing thousands more that already have this feature. I know this may sound corny but just the manner in which you can control the soft dash lights to glow at different levels added a more upscale ambiance to the interior.

The Test Drive
    Pulling out on to the asphalt, the 2.4 liter equipped, 176 horse powered 4 cylinder engine, (which is the only engine currently available) gave an excellent accounting of itself. The acceleration was there immediately as soon as I hit the gas and the automatic six speed transmission was silky smooth. There was not a hint of hesitation in the automatic gears as I hammered the accelerator to get a feel of the Tucson’s speed.

The Tucson is not go-cart fast, but it’s quick enough to get you in and out of traffic smoothly, competently and quietly. Did I say quietly? Because this is one of the quietest riding CUVs that I have tested in recent memory. I found it to be much quieter than either the escape, Rav4 or the CR-V. Cornering felt sure footed and confident. I found the brakes to be a bit touchy but maybe because my tester barely had 15 miles on it.

During my test drive, the Tucson actually felt as big as its midsize sibling, the Santa Fe. This translated to even more of a feeling of comfort and safety. Rolling over road surfaces, the Tucson gobbled up smooth stretches of highway effortlessly and handled the gnarled road surfaces without complaint. Here, Hyundai definitely got the ride and suspension just right.
    I also tested backing up and can admit the rear window area could’ve been wider but it didn’t prevent me from seeing out or from judging distances between objects, especially another parked vehicle.

Overall
    I think this second generation, 2011 Tucson builds on the no compromise, quality focused attitude that Hyundai has been delivering lately and has now unquestionably attained. The brand is now on an upward trek, embolden by the success of its Genesis, bolstered by ever increasing sales and growing market share. Lately, it seems Hyundai is doing everything right and the new Tucson is no exception. It is no longer in the little leagues, it is definitely a worthy competitor that is “Up For the Challenge!”
  • mickeyrommickeyrom Posts: 936
    There has been one at my dealer for at least two weeks.It's the loaded one ,with a GPS and leather.MSRP around 28K.Much improved over the old model.Looks pretty cool, and with the 6 speed EPA is 32 MPG highway.I'm waiting for the GLS model,which is a little under 21K before I can consider it,but then it will have my undivided attention.
    "beauty is in the eye of the beholder".....I liked it.:)
  • Hi Folks..

G'day from Aussie !!

2010 Tucson dosn't hit the road here until about 2nd qtr (Apr -June). Australian Price point for the entry level is looking at 30-35K Aussie Dollars. We can currently get the 2009 model for $22K for the City SX 5 Speed Manual (think this is the GLS elsewhere).

I've just ordered the 09 model. The 2010 looks amazing and will likely blow the competion away here. I know the 09 vs 10 are to totally different cars but cant really jusity the 10k plus difference between the models.. On a tight budget these days :) :lemon:

Anyway, any tips or things to look out for with my new ride...

cheers Mikey.
  • vinyviny Posts: 1
    I am looking to buy a 2010 Limited FWD with Premium Package. Does anyone know what would be a good price to pay for this.

10K difference? Wow,things are sure different down under.A loaded 2010 GLS MSRP is around $22,000 here which is about the same as the 2009 model. I drove one and then I drove the KIA Sorento.I liked the Sorento much better,except for the gas mileage.29 hwy compared to 31 on the Tucson.
  • You could at least try to not make it sound so obvious that you work at Hyundai.

I don't know how you can tell that the ride is quiet, it is not. To start with, the 2.4L engine is not enough. It doesn't merge easily on the freeway and can even be dangerous for not moving you in time. It doesn't have the guts to move this vehicle, and when it tries to do so it revs the hell out of itself, creating a LOT of engine noise in the cabin.

That was enough to step me away from this vehicle, but if people is not annoyed with that fact, there are things that i loved about this car, one of them being the stability (grabbed a curve and it handled it better than mi civic coupe) and how nice the leather feels on this car, leather and cabin feels very very nice.
  • Full disclosure: First, I do not work for Hyundai. Second, your stated opinion/experience was different than mine. I stand by my comments that the Tucson is one of the quietest riding vehicles compared to the competition that the Tucson competes in. So, yes it is quieter than the Ford Escape, Honda CR-V, and RAV-4.

Thank you.
This discussion has been closed.