Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2009-10 Hyundai Tucson

Comments

• Hi again,

So I feel I need to post here again because maybe that Tucson I test drove was having a bad day indeed. I have finally bought my White 2010 Tucson, Limited with premium package, 8 miles on the odometer. MSRP was 28k, I got it at 25,800. The thing is a beauty, inside and out. The engine feels confident enough to move the vehicle, not torquey like a V6 but it is enough. Love the audio system and XM radio! Road noise, I haven't driven it a lot and only on local streets not on the freeway but it feels quiet. Interior build quality feels very high end, the car does NOT feel cheap. The only thing I would have loved the car included is HID lights and keyless engine start. AWD wouldn't hurt but it does hurt gas mileage. The only thing I don't like about this car is that motor driven steering, it feels kind of artificial and I don't feel as connected to the road as I do with my civic coupe.
  • It seems like you got a fantastic deal!!! How did you do it? The dealers in my area have them marked up $1500. Did you deal locally or go to another market? Thanks for the info.
  • I live in San Diego, I emailed the dealer in LA mentioned here (they're cheaper over there) and got their price. Then I went to my local dealer to see how much would I get for my trade in, they wanted to do business so I showed them the LA price and they matched it.
  • Hi,
    the $25800 is the selling price, right? If it is the OTD price, then it is a hell of a deal! I don't think it is possible though, as the invoice for you car should be more than $27000, am I correct?
  • OTD was 29,100 if I remember correctly
  • For what it's worth. Drive the KIA Sorento before you buy a Tuc son.I drove both and thought the Sorento far superior.
  • I have been looking at the Sorento as well, but haven't driven it yet. Did you try it out? If so, tell me what you think about it and why do you think it is better than the Tucson.
  • merf1merf1 Posts: 8
    edited March 2010
    I have been driving a 2006 Tucson for 4 years [ bought it new] and have had no problems except a little rust on the side behind the passenger door. Loved the car.
    I decided to buy a new SUV and headed out to test drive the 2010 Tucson.
    I liked the Tucson--lots of power with the 175 HP 4 cyl and lots of standard features.
    The negative to me was that it has less cargo space than my 06 and I thought it was kind of odd looking.
    I test drove a 2011 Sorento and was impressed.
    It has more space and cargo room inside, is much better looking [IMO], and just seems to be more refined and more comfortable.
    Same engine as the Tucson but a little heavier.
    The 6 speed auto is smooth as butter and the acceleration with the 175 horse engine is impressive. I traded in my 06 Tucson. [ I paid $16200 for it just over 4 years ago and got $8500 in trade. ] The sticker price for the Kia was $24305.
    LX with convenience package and floor mats.
    They sold it to me for invoice price and gave me the $1000 rebate and an extra $500 auto show rebate. I traded for $13600 plus tax, title, and license.
    With 500 miles on the Sorento I am well pleased and very impressed.
    If you are thinking about a Tucson do yourself a favor and test drive a Sorento.
  • mickeyrommickeyrom Posts: 936
    Good advice.Truer words were never spoken.
  • boltguyboltguy Posts: 94
    Sounds like you did very well. I'm guessing you had your Tucson paid off already. I'm in a similar situation, I have an '05 Sportage I'm considering selling privately. I like the new Tucson quite a bit, but like you don't like the reduced ground clearance or the reduced height of the cargo area. I'm gonna wait for the new Sportage to arrive before I make a final move, as the Sorento's rear is a little odd looking to me.
  • merf1merf1 Posts: 8
    One thing I forgot to mention is that the Sorento is a 2011 with rebates and the Tucson is a 2010 with no rebates.
    Comparatively equipped the are about the same price before the rebate.
    It is a no brainer IMO.
  • meanmopar1meanmopar1 Posts: 1
    I test drove the 2011 Sorento AWD with the 4 and 6 cyl engines. The 4-cylinder seemed a bit strained with the larger Sorento, but the 6 cyl model was great, but I think the base 6-Cyl AWD is around $30K? If the vehicle was for me, I would pay the extra and get the Sorento, but I was test driving vehicles with my daughter, and she wanted a smaller vehicle. After test driving a rav-4, Forester, etc, we drove the 2010 Hyundai Tucson AWD and bought it. This car has alot of passenger room! I am 6'2 and 300# and can sit in comfort in the front or rear seats. The Tuscon is quieter and rode better than the Rav-4 we test drove (on the same roads.) The 4-cylinder has plenty of power in this vehicle. I think the Tuscon is lighter in weight than most of the other crossover SUVs? My daughter has not checked the fuel mileage, but it seems to be pretty good. We have had the car for 3-Months, and so far it has been great, no issues at all.
  • miamicrv1miamicrv1 Posts: 66
    Unfortunately I won't have a chance to test drive a new Tuscon for at least another month. I have read several posts that seem to indicate the suspension is too stiff. As always, compared to what....a 72 Buick or a 2010 BMW?

I was wondering what the general opinion was?
  • nortsr1nortsr1 Posts: 1,060
    Are you guys comparing a Tuscon to a Sorento???? A Tuscon should be comapered to the Kia Sportage and the Sorento compared to the Sant Fe??????
  • miamicrv1miamicrv1 Posts: 66
    That's my question...stiff suspension compared to what? The complaints do seem to come up now and then from some of the posters. What I'd like to know is, does the vehicle provide a quiet and comfortable ride with a European feel to it or is the ride literally jarring and uncomfortable.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    Maybe it seems dumb to you, but not to me -- a test drive is necessary to answer that question, in my opinion. Don't decide against a vehicle you're interested in because of someone else's opinion.
  • missmysimissmysi Posts: 2
    It's not a quiet and comfortable ride. My 2010 had a defective tire when I bought it. Even after that was fixed and the tires rebalanced, it still does not ride as smoothly as the first Tucson I test drove. I am very disappointed in the ride. It is not as jarring as a sportscar with a stiff suspension, but it's not as comfortable and smooth as I expected. I think it's really a matter of opinion though.
    I haven't driven one, but I suspect Hyundai has tuned the Tuscon to compete with the good-handling Honda CR-V, which rides rougher than a Santa Fe or a Sonata.
  • mickeyrommickeyrom Posts: 936
    I drove the front wheel drive Tucson as well as the front drive KIA Sorrento.IMO the Sorrento had a much more comfortable ride of the two.
    Considering they are a different class of vehicle, really, that's not too surprising. The Sorento is more in-line with the Ford Edge / Toyota Highlander while the Tuscon is closer to the CR-V and Escape.