Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2009 Honda Fit

Comments

• nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,669
    they have put in maplights and a seat height adjuster for '09 (and a telescoping wheel).

Plus it has this glorious looking panorama glass roof. Too bad part doesn;t open, but I would still want one.

And power goes up a bit, the magazines say ride and handling both improve, the looks improve a lot IMO, and emissions improve. The only unknown is fuel economy, which I am hoping won't DROP. Hopefully it will go up a couple of points. The weight will be virtually identical after all, and the addition of i-VTEC is probably responsible for part of the power gain.

I will DEFINITELY be testing out an '09. Too bad it is still 8 months away. :-(

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)

• bobw3bobw3 Posts: 2,997
    Is the sunroof going to be an option? I really don't want a huge heavy piece of glass cooking my head!
  • nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,669
    It's unclear if it is an option - it is not usual practice for Honda to have factory options like that. I would bet it will be standard in the top trim and unavailable in lower trim(s).

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)

• 719b719b Posts: 216
    i read in various places that stability control will be mandatory in the united states in a few years. will the fit have it for 2009? does anyone know?
  • rv65rv65 Posts: 1,074
    Honda has announced that the 09 Fit will debut at the NY auto show. There has been some changes but will stay close to the Japanese model. Hope this helps.
  • mcmanusmcmanus Posts: 121
    I drove a friend's automatic with paddle shifters. I drive like a grandmother, but can you say slow? It'd be dangerous on older big city freeways that have no acceleration lanes. There was no fun, barely knew if it had shifted as the engine was constantly struggling under very easy conditions.

Otherwise I like the current car. The new one looks very generic, which is much better than most recent Honda cars. Too bad the local dealer is so lackluster (I'm being kind).

Those of us living in the great white north don't need a sunroof, we need insulation on top.
  • plektoplekto Posts: 3,708
    How high did you rev it?

1500-200rpm for the Fit's engine is like lugging a V8 at 500-1000rpm. You have to wind it up like a S2000 to get any power. But once you do, it moves fairly quickly.

P.S. it's not designed to be a 0-60 drag racer, either. Once it gets going, it'll easily do a 20-40mph transition quick enough to keep up with traffic.
  • fitman548fitman548 Posts: 172
    On a standard length on-ramp I get from a rolling turn to 75 mph, going uphill.
  • mebmanmebman Posts: 100
    I think the acceleration of the fit is great. Unfortunately Honda has in the past listened more to those craving power than those wanting fuel economy. This is why we didn’t get the CVT and the 1.3 liter the rest of the world has with phenomenal MPG's. I really had hoped that at 3-4 dollars per gallon Honda would offer us a Fit that got 40-50 mpg. Honda why don’t you reconsider how you package the Fit and offer 2 models; gas champion and throttle jockey!
  • tiff_ctiff_c Posts: 531
    I think the acceleration of the fit is great. Unfortunately Honda has in the past listened more to those craving power than those wanting fuel economy. This is why we didn't’ get the CVT and the 1.3 liter the rest of the world has with phenomenal MPG's.

I have driven the 1.3L Fit and no way would you be able to use it on US Highways. It's a city car and a friend of mine overseas owned one. I drove it quite a bit when I visited him. It's ok in the city but they had NO highways at all where he lived. The 1.3L is just not powerful enough. But if you lived in say Guam, it would be fine. But US Mainland, forget it. Also you economy won't be as good as you think it will be. It makes the engine work much harder under load to climb small hills and carrying people.
    It would not get 40-50mpg here since his got about half that driving in the city. It's called a Jazz in Asia.
    I'm all for great fuel economy but the 1.3L isn't that great in real life usage.
  • jacksan1jacksan1 Posts: 504
    I concur. 1.3 L is a city runner. If you do a lot of highway-speed driving, it is just not powerful enough. The reason 1.3 L works in many parts of Asia is because there are many people in places like Tokyo or Singapore who never drive faster than 40 MPH basically for the life of their vehicles. That's not the case in North America, unless you never leave Manhattan.

And tiff_f is right about the gas mileage too. Not the Fit, but there are so-called the kei-cars in Japan, all of which are 660 cc in displacement. They can guzzle gas for their size because people push them hard to get a meaningful forward motion. Smaller engine does not always translate into a better mileage.
    I concur. 1.3 L is a city runner. If you do a lot of highway-speed driving, it is just not powerful enough. The reason 1.3 L works in many parts of Asia is because there are many people in places like Tokyo or Singapore who never drive faster than 40 MPH basically for the life of their vehicles. That's not the case in North America, unless you never leave Manhattan.

His Jazz was great because he lived in a city of about 2 million people, lot of traffic and crazy drivers much worse than here.
    But 60 kph was as fast as you could get the car to go in the city except late at night.
    We did get it up to 100 kph but that was on a trip out of the city on a very long rural road. That's only 60 mph! It was ok at those speeds even with 3 of us and packed full of fireworks. But on a US highway it would be like riding a bicycle.
    Also his mileage was always 10.5 km/l no matter how slow and careful or rough he drove it. Outside the city he'd get 12km/l but never better than that.
    Maybe the 1.5L would do better, I don't know. i did test drive a 1.5L CVT and it was ok, but no idea on fuel economy.
    Jacksan is right. Little cars only do well when you drive them easy. Drive them like a big V8 and the mpg drops big time.
  • schteveschteve Posts: 3
    i read in various places that stability control will be mandatory in the united states in a few years. will the fit have it for 2009? does anyone know?

As far as I can tell it won't, which is a shame because that's one feature I really want.

There's a big difference between the acceleration in the Manual and in the Automatic, which I leads to a lot of the differing opinions. I live in Ohio and when I drove a Fit here it seemed to handle the terrain well enough, but I don't how it would handle when I travel to Pittsburgh, the home of some terribly steep hills and poorly designed on-ramps. I have a V6 Ford Contour right now that laughs at all of those things, but some other vehicles I drove in the area (Dodge Dynasty, Chevy Blazer) made it more stressful.
  • tao7807tao7807 Posts: 1
    i couldn't disagree more, as a proud owner of the 08 honda fit i love it! &my acceleration is amazing! where i live their doing major road work on the intersate, and many of the on ramps are short and have a stop sign at the end forcing you to get up to speed fairly quick with all the cars flying by, i've yet to have a problem with my fit doing that. especially with the vtec under the hood, it's a bit hard to believe it wouldn't "go." maybe you should try it again.
  • bobw3bobw3 Posts: 2,997
    I have a Fit auto and I think for some is that with the Fit, to get it go really go you need to press the gas hard enough to get the RPMs over 3000, while some cars with more torque you can just toe the gas a little and off you go. Or you just use the paddle shifter to keep it in a lower gear and get more zip. The vtec will give you power, but not if you're trying to coddle the engine to get good MPG.
  • fdannafdanna Posts: 263
    Wow, I had no idea that the Fit would be redesigned so fast. The first generation was a disappointment for me, style-wise. This new model is much more attractive and I'm definitely going to try one on for size (I'm concerned about leg room for a 6'1" person). To me the current Civic is frumpy (or plain ugly) and the current Fit is about the same (not frumpy, just ugly). The only Honda with any kind of style is the new Accord which is way too big for my needs (mostly city).

Love the panoramic roof too (is the US model getting that as an option?).
    The last iteration Fit (current in NA) was available for six years before the latest design change, basically everywhere but in North America.

Styling is a subjective matter. Apparently, enough people do not consider it as deal-braking, since 2 million Fits had been sold world-wide as of July 2007.
  • kalvordkalvord Posts: 3
    Does anyone know the exact date that the NA Fit will be released? I am gathering sometime between the 19th & 21st.

Assuming my guess is nearly accurate, will any details or additional photos be released prior to the premier date, or is this now on lockdown?
    Does anyone know the exact date that the NA Fit will be released? I am gathering sometime between the 19th & 21st.

Last I've heard was that it will not be released until after the New York Auto show. So that's next week, but I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for it to show up in showrooms for a while after the show.
    I doubt there is a moratorium on pictures since so many are floating around, but the magazines have likely tested the car but cannot print anything until after the New York show.
    The car becomes official in my opinion when Honda puts it up on their website under cars you can buy and lists all the specs.
    My concern is the drivers seat height adjustment, but my wife is loving her Civic which I am also driving and I doubt I could pry it away from her with a Fit even the new Fit.
    Although I would not classify them as "reliable," some sources are talking about the fall 2008 release for the all-new Fit in North America. The New York Auto Show is the model debut, but that is not necessarily the same as commercial release. I am sure we will know more about the exact release schedule when the show opens.