Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

High Mileage Outback-Concerns

2»

Comments

• ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    My car repair guy advised me against buying an Outback

He's probably concerned about the head gaskets, but that was 2004 and prior. A newer one should be fine.
  • diver7diver7 Posts: 5
    here is my dilemma- my 2000 outback ltd has 257K- already replaced head gaskets- brakes twice, clutch once- belts once or twice, hubby has diligently changed oil every 3-4K miles. i really love this car..has 2 moonroofs, weather band, manual, heated leather- i could go on i just love it. but practical spouse says time to get new;gotta have reliable car; rpms rev spontaneously at times...i could keep it and get a smaller impreza for long distance trips or just say heck with it and go all out...decisions decisions- anyone want to offer their thoughts? if i do buy i want all the things i have now esp. weather band if it is still an option.
  • saedavesaedave Chicago, ILPosts: 683
    The new Impreza probably has about the same passenger room as your 2000 Outback and with the new engine offers MPG economy, similar performance and no head gasket worry. I believe there will be a model with leather.

Weather band seems to be missing.
  • xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,453
    It is; I don't think Subaru has included weather band since the 2005 model year on the Legacy/Outback. I'm not sure when they phased it out for the Forester.
    Thanks for replying. hate to hear about the weather band- it really helped me through these storms we've been having. think i'll keep this car and drive it til it drops.
  • saedavesaedave Chicago, ILPosts: 683
    A Midland HH50 Pocket Weather Radio sells for less than $18 on Amazon and is small enough to be clipped to a visor. I suspect it works better than the old Subaru built-in.
    hey thanks you know sometimes i need someone to come along and offer a simple solution :blush:
  • phxmotorphxmotor Posts: 9
    164 is alot? I dont think so, my god! This is where I buy my Subi's. If it needs head gaskets...good! Then I get'em cheap...if the H-G's have been done, then they are ready for another 150k. Actually with Felpro's I havent had a failure all the way up to 300 & higher.
    A fuel pump at 190...and whatever else the CEL tells me to do...and the darned things seem to go indefinately.
    Brakes here, half shafts there, its no big deal to keep these things on the road.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    I did see a Forester for sale that had 274k miles on them.

Did you buy that one? LOL

Quarter million mile club is awesome!
2»