Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2007 Chevrolet Impala

Comments

• I'm having problems explaining to my dealership that I've been comparing MPG"S w/other 06 & 07 SS owners. I explained to them that pretty much everyone else is getting alot better MPG's on the HWy then we are, They of course come back w/well it's pretty hard to compare MPG"S w/other people because most people tend to stretch the truth when comparing their cars to others, so not getting anywhere w/this HWY MPG situation.

We did have a guy last night , who saw us in a parking lot & came over & checked our car out , he started talking to my husband asking about the cars MPG, my husband explained the car was only getting 20 on the HWY, & that they sticker showed 27 for HWY. The guy said if i bought the car I'd really be on to them about only getting 20 for the HWY.

Not for sure If I explained that the 20 HWY MPG was driving on the interstate w/ very little braking & normal acceleration. It's getting pretty much the 20 HWY MPG on the interstate as well as driving through towns on the hour long trip I take to Springfield or Pekin. I can't understand why it's not doing at least somewhat better on the interestate w/little slow downs at stop lights like I do going through the small towns I have to go through.
  • martin22martin22 Posts: 53
    Teresa,
    I'm getting well over 20mpg on the Interstates around Champaign in my SS and you should be too. Two things:
    Are you sure your engine is switching to 4 cyl mode? It should stay in that mode when cruising at 65 - 70 mph on a level road and the indicated mpg should range between 25 and 30.
    Also, what RPM are you showing at 65 mph? From memory as I write, it should be just under 2,000. There is a remote possibility that you're not reaching overdrive top gear.
    Hope you get your problems sorted - it's a great car!
  • martin22, The computer readout shows it going into the 4cyl mode, & I try to set my cruise sometimes if possible, but most of the time it's not so I do not use the cruise alot, I try watch my speed & make sure I'm keeping it steady & in the 4cyl mode on flat straight aways. I'll have to look at the RPM gauge & seem what it's reading. I'm pretty sure it's under 2,000 though.

WHen you say well over 20 MPG's on the highway, what are you varying, if you don't mind me asking?

I've heard that several other people that have these SS are also getting better than we are I just can't understand why are car is not, I know it's very disappointing & I love the car's looks, power , safety & comfort, but the MPG's is killing us coming from a 06 Mailbu getting around 30 MPG'S on the HWY. The sticker showing the 27 MPG's is what sold us on the car, so I'm depressed over this MPG stuff.
    Thanks I hope they figure something is wrong w/it & fix it so it starts getting better MPG's on the highway. What's really crazy is that it's doing about the same maybe around 18-19 for the city mpg's .
    I'd say an average of 25 mpg highway. I did not expect to get the 27 - those figures are always optimistic. I've also heard that mileage improves as the car beds in - ours has now done 13K. We did a 5.5K mile road trip last winter down to Florida and back through the Carolinas and the DIC gave me an overall 23.9 mpg. That included a lot of interstate but also a good deal of town driving at 'base camps'. From what you've said about near stalling, I would guess there's something wrong with your mixture control - as if the engine is running too rich. That would obviously give you poor mpg. It could even be something simple such as a piece of rag stuck in the air intake. Your dealer should really give it good seeing to.
    Best of luck!
  • Ya, I didn't really expect to get 27 either, but I was at least expecting close to 24 at least.

So far we've got 3,000 on it. I got something set up for a second look over on this car. I'm hoping they come up w/someting this time. Last time which was only 2 wks ago, they said they could find nothing wrong w/the car.
    Thanks for your input. Glad you like your car & are getting pretty descent HWY MPG's , wish I had your car.

Is it a 07 or 06, which color did you get? Did you get the Bose speaker package? We have the Bose speakers, silver trim on Dash, not the woodgrain. Has a sunroof. It's a beautiful car, just wish for better MPG.
  • Yup, tried that, that's pretty much where I keep my readout set. I try to watch were the readout is & try to make sure on a level flat straight away that i keeping it at 4cyl.
    I know it's not because I have my foot into it or anything, because my husband complains that I drive like a grandma w/it that I should be driving it differently just because it's the SS. I drive like I always did w/ our 06 Mailbu, sometimes on the interstate I'll find myself getting up fast 75, but even when I did that w/the Malibu I was still getting 30 MPG's. So if anything Maybe I need to try a higher octane gas?
    I'm running out of ideas, maybe the service dept. is just not finding out what's wrong w/this car. I'll give them another shot, & if things do not improve I'll try taking it to another dealerships serive dept. I hate doing that though because I didn't buy the car from them, so I do not know how that works when you want to go to another dealership beside the one that we've purchased the car from?
  • quietproquietpro Posts: 702
    Teresa,
    Wow...you read my mind...those were the two things I was going to suggest next. Higher octane fuel and another dealership. I was running 87 octane fuel exclusively for the first year I had my SS simply because I could and thought it really made no difference. Then, I got to thinking about how little it would cost and decided to switch. Well, the difference in power (once I had fully gotten used to driving the car with lower power) was truly remarkable. Besides that, I have noticed on the highway, with the higher octane, the car can remain in 4 cylinder mode at higher speeds and on steeper grades which contributes to higher fuel mileage. I don't know that it would be enough of a difference to justify the difference in cost or whether it will improve your situation at all, but it's worth a try. In my case, I haven't had a chance to take a long enough road trip to get a good comparison but I do know that my car can stay in 4 cylinder mode in places it couldn't before and at higher speeds than before.

As for going to a different dealership, I have visited three different dealerships with mine. I bought my car out of state so I have only visited the dealership where I bought the car a couple times. All dealerships should treat you equally well and if not, you should contact the corporate offices and report them. GM is making strong efforts to improve customer relations and you shouldn't have a problem with a different dealership. They SHOULD welcome your business as an opportunity to win you over for your next purchase. Again, just be polite, don't bad mouth the other dealership, and explain your problem.

One final suggestion would be to offer to ride along with a techician to show them the sputtering you've been describing since you say that the techs have said that they haven't been able to duplicate the problem. Sometimes communicating the problem is the hardest part of the process and if you can get them to let you drive them around and then maybe switch out let them drive you back you may both learn something (you mentioned you weren't sure if it was engine or transmission).

Good luck and be persistent and patient. I'm sure you'll get to the bottom of this. The SS is a great car. Once you get your bug worked out, you're going to love it! Give it a fair chance. ;)
    It's an '06, fully loaded, Sport Red/Neutral. Last July, we couldn't resist the 72m/0% deal so we're in it for the long run! The only work done on it so far is the replacement of the screeching window seals. It still spooks me when it sends me an email every month telling me how it's doing!
  • wow 72 m/0% , that really was a heck of a deal. How you doing on the warranty, did you purchase a extended warranty? I'm glad Chevy went to 5yr/100,00mi. We purchased a extended on for our 07 because the computer part would only be covered I believe for 3yr/36,000? I imagine that computer that controls the fuel management could get expensive really fast.
  • how many miles did you have on the car when you got the 24.7 on the HWY?
    DId you already have around 10,000?
    The service dept. keeps telling me that I have to let the car get to 10,000 miles on the odometer to see anything close to 24mpg on the hwy. I trying to find out if this is true, if everyone else didn't get around 24 mpg's until 10,000 miles.
  • martin22 , do you thing there is any truth to the story I've been told that my car needs to get around 10,000 miles on it before I'll start to see anything close to 24 mpg's on the hwy?

How many miles do you have on your 07?
    Well, that's what they say. Our '06 has 13K now so should be well bedded in and we have no complaints about the gas mileage, considering it is a 5.3L after all!.
    I suggest you try to use the cruise control more often - as often as possible.
    By the way, beware of jumping ship to a lesser (LS or LT) model. You may get a better mileage but you may be disappointed in the overall feel of the ride and handling compared with the SS which has a different suspension set up. I rented a 3.9LT once and thought it was ghastly.
    My '06 SS got over 24 mpg highway on its first tank. As a matter of fact, I've never gotten anything less than 23 (in the mountains) and have gotten as high as just under 27.

By the way, the front suspension on the 3.9L is the same but the wheels and tires are different. The rear suspension is slightly different but only to make room for the larger wheels. :) The ride difference is due to the wheel/tire size difference, weight, and stabilizer bars.
  • i've had it to the dealer twice now , they keep telling me that they can find nothing wrong w/our car. Keep saying it's not broke in yet. We're a little over 3000 now & still no improvement yet on the HWY MPG. What Octane gas have you been running in it? I might try running higher octane gas, ALways heard though that It doesn't make much difference in MPG's though.
  • rysterryster Posts: 517
    Hi!

Lemon Laws vary by State. When you purchased your vehicle, the dealership should have provided to you a booklet discussing your State's Lemon Law and had you sign an acknowledgment of receiving such materials (it is the law here in PA that such occur at the time of sale of a new vehicle.)

Here in PA, if a vehicle is declared a Lemon, the consumer has the option of receiving a comparable vehicle from the manufacturer or a full refund of the purchase price and all collateral charges. A deduction is made for the use of the vehicle while you owned it (after all, you did drive it) but the adjustment cannot exceed 10% of the purchase price. The refund is made to the consumer if paid in full originally, or the refund is given to the bank/lien holder if financed. So, depending on the loan, a Lemon refund may be enough to wipe out the loan and let you start fresh (maybe even with some money left over). If you elect the replacement, then I imagine the loan paperwork would be changed to reflect the new car's information but everything else would stay the same.

However, PA laws says that if the defect for which the Lemon claim was made does not impair the use, safety, or value of the vehicle NO refund or replacement will be given.

In the case of fuel mileage, this would probably not fall under the PA Lemon Law since the vehicle has not had any issues preventing it from being driven or used. The PA Lemon Laws are mostly aimed at mechanical problems that cause the car not to be able to be driven (stalling, electrical problems, etc.)

Fuel mileage is such a driver specific factor. It can be thrown off by weather, idling time, tire pressures, accelerating, braking, fuel quality, route (flat vs. hilly), etc.

I would suggest checking your tire pressures to make sure they are at Chevy spec. Top off the car with a Top Tier gas and reset your trip meter. Then try to find a 20 mile stretch of relatively flat highway with minimal stop and go. Set the cruise on 55mph and take a round-trip drive. After the trip, immediately fill up again. Divide the miles driven by the amount of gas needed to top off again, and see what the mileage comes out to. If you still see 20mpg or less, then I would say the dealer is definitely missing something. If it comes out to be 24 or better, then the car is probably fine.

I have a 2LT with the 3.5L engine. I average 21mpg in my everyday commute (60 miles round trip). I may see 24 or 25 during all-highway jaunts, but when the city driving comes back into the mix the average mileage drops back to the 21 figure. Our area is very hilly, hot/humid in the summer and very cold in the winter. The engine is always working hard in such extreme variances. The sticker said 21city/31hwy, but I average the lower number. Compared to the 13mpg I averaged with my previous V8 SUV, I am thrilled!

Also...the dealer should give you a work order everytime you take it in regardless of whether or not they find anything. No work order means no record for you that it was ever looked at. Not necessarily a good thing.

By the way, IL Lemon Laws look to be very similar to PA.
  • garsarnogarsarno Posts: 72
    The car only had low thousands when I got that mileage, cruise set at mid 70mph range. Drove Interstate 80 in PA, plenty of hills etc. I have a little over 11,000 mile on it and got 23.5 highway mpg in the Baltimore area.
  • rwisemrwisem Posts: 96
    I have a 2007 SS with about 3k miles and found this discussion interesting. I have noticed that the DIC shows pretty impressive instant mileage when the engine goes into 4 cyl. mode

Yesterday I drove from my daughter's house in Towson,MD home to Marlton,NJ. I reset the average mpg when I hit the freeway and 90 miles later checked it when I exited and it read 29.7. I drove the speed limit of 55 to 65 and kept a steady foot on the gas,pressing down to almost maintain speed on hills trying not to go to V8 mode too much. The road is not totally flat, but not too hilly. There were 2 stops for tolls and one bridge. The AC was on the whole time.
  • How do you reset the average MPG? I did not know that it could be reset.

I sure wish there was a way for someone to take a pic of their Average MPG readouts & post them on here. I keep getting told when I complain to the dealership that everyone is probably stretching the truth a little bit on the internet! :D
  • nosirrahgnosirrahg Little Rock, ARPosts: 872
    So are you saying your DIC is reading an average of 20 MPG from the day you bought the car? If that's the case, then I'd be VERY happy with the MPG you're getting. I average just under 23 MPG in my 2000 Impala with the 3.8l engine; if you're averaging 20 MPG and getting V8 power to boot, I'm jealous!!
  • rwisemrwisem Posts: 96
    How do you reset the average MPG

When the average fuel economy is showing, press and hold the top DIC button to the right of the steering wheel. It has a check on it. After a couple or three seconds the readout turns to o if stopped. This method resets all readouts.

I agree with the last poster. If you have an average of 20 showing after many weeks and/or months, you should be very happy. My overall average is in the low 16's. I find this car to be a real Jekyll and Hyde. Put you foot in it and it slurps gas like no tommorrow, but ease up and maintain 4 cyl mode as much as possible and it does as well as a V6.
  • Hey, do I know YOU? Are you formally from IL? I used to know a Greg Harrison.

My Average MPG readout for 90% HWY driving is showing 20 MPG's. Most of our driving is all highways to & from Pekin, Peoria, SPringfield & St Louis.
  • Thanks I'll have to try re-setting the readout & see if it doesn't actually show it getting better. I'm also going to fill it up & check it without the computer readout. I got a trip to take to Peoria today, wo we'll see how it does.

I probably would have learned all that if, i'd taken the time to read the owner's manual.
    You may have guessed by now but you can also reset average speed the same way. It will be helpful in assessing your fuel mileage based on the speed you have been traveling. You'll get your best mileage between 55 - 70 mph.

I monitor my fuel mileage religiously and the '06+ Impala's computer is very accurate, probably more accurate than we are due to variances in how full we get our tanks at each fill up. But, that said, my numbers fall pretty much in line with what the car's computer states I'm getting.

You really ought to read through that owner's manual. You'd be surprised at how many cool features your car has of which you probably aren't even aware.
  • nosirrahgnosirrahg Little Rock, ARPosts: 872
    I'm not from IL, though I did go to grad school in IN for a couple of years, and we go back to Indianapolis from time to time around Memorial Day :) !

I rented a 2006 Impala LT (3.5l) on a trip from here (AR) to Indy last year. I think I filled up in Marion, IL and drove the speed limit (holiday weekend) to Terre Haute, where I refilled the tank, and got 36 MPG (it may have been higher; I posted that info elsewhere on Edmunds at the time). I didn't "have" to get gas at Terre Haute, but I knew my average would drop once the speeds increased in Indiana; so we topped off the tank there.

What I do to keep track of my mileage; I always reset the trip odometer, the MPG, gallons used, and average speed each time I fill up. I'm especially anal, and write this info on my receipt, and transfer it to a spreadsheet at home. The good thing about this is I can look over time and see if my mileage is going down. By keeping track of the average speed per tank, you'll start to see trends where the lower the speed, the lower the MPG. It doesn't take much "city" driving to knock the wind out of a good "highway" average.

Next time you've got a 100+ mile highway trip to make, fill up and reset everything, then hit the highway and set your cruise...stop and refill when you get to your destination (before you start roaming through town) and see what you're getting in a true "highway" setting.
  • We just got our 07 this summer. I was kind of unhappy with the MPG but we took a trip from Albuquerque to Louisiana. I got 30 on the highway and about 20 in the city. We love the inside and the ride. Since we have been back the MPG has gotten better.
  • levellevel Posts: 28
    City driving in Atlanta:

I consistently got 23.9-24.1 MPG during winter.

During summer with a/c consistently get 23.2-23.3 MPG.

Better on hwy, add 2.0 MPG to winter and summer city average.

This is very good to me. What do you get?
  • levellevel Posts: 28
    Impala 2006+ owners - Does anyone get pain in their right foot after driving awhile? Pedal seems to have more spring resistance than other cars I've owned and my wife's Buick. (I get no pain when driving my wife's 2006 Buick.)
  • prigglypriggly Posts: 642
    '06 Impala SS - no problems whatsoever. The interior is very comfortable, seat, pedal and ergonomics fine. Specifically, no right foot discomfort.

Have you tried adjusting the seat?
  • rysterryster Posts: 517
    I will be replacing the OEM Goodyear tires on my '06 Impala LT week after next with the new H-rated General Altimax HP touring tire. I am hoping it will quiet down the road noise as well as enhance wet weather performance and handling.

Anything will be better than the OEM Goodyears :)
  • prigglypriggly Posts: 642
    My OEM Gooddyears on my '06 Impala SS are actually very quiet. In fact, the whole car is very quiet with very minimal road or wind noise. A very impressive ride indeed. Couldn't be happier with the car.