Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Sienna 3.5L power?

Comments

• hause7hause7 Posts: 153
    215 or 230HP, it doesn't matter, it has more than enough to move me away from a stop and pass, i love to drive it alone, i win lots of stoplight races with it, so it cannot be slow. I love Toyota V6's =]
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Well, it did, sort of.

In 2004, the rules were more relaxed, you could measure HP by disconnecting certain accessory belts that use up some of the available power.

It did still make "230 HP" at the time, but that was by using some of these tricks, which were allowed at the time.

The Society of Automotive Engineers stopped the cheating by giving specific rules for stating output. So under these new rules, the 3.3l made 215 SAE HP, to be specific.

230 HP under the old rules = 215 SAE HP under the new rules, though.

Not all engines lost HP, in fact some GM engines gained a few. Toyota was "cheating" more than most, though it was allowed under the old rules, so it wasn't illegal, just misleading.

The 210hp 3.0l V6 was downgraded to 190 SAE HP.

The 3.3l V6 was downgraded to from 230hp to 215 SAE hp.

We drop the "SAE" part now because they all use SAE HP. No need to distinguish any more, unless you compare output from before vs. after the new rule went in effect.
    we rented an 07 sienna for 3 days to see how much we liked it, and we loved it. it had awesome power, and we averaged 27.3 mpg over the 250 miles we had it. i love the new 3.5L v6!
    How much did the rental cost?

I shopped for rental vans in Tampa and was FLOORED! :surprise:

An Uplander was $220 for the 4 days, something like that, while a Sienna was $600 plus! :mad:

At least it doesn't cost you triple to buy.
    i think it was like $200. we rented it mainly to see how the new v6 performs, and we liked it...a lot.
    That's cheap. What rental company, may I ask? We may get one if the price is under $300 for the 4 days.

I'm not paying $600 plus, it's not 3 times the van.
    we rented through hertz i think, we only paid the difference since we had a free compact car rental for the 3 days from AAA, when our 04 sienna was in for some body work from when we were rear ended.
    C&D measured 0-60 for all the latest vans.

Sienna got 7.2s, all the others were 8 seconds or greater. The Chrysler vans came closest, the others were well behind the Sienna.

Told ya the 2GR was a gem.
  • lxpatellxpatel Posts: 34
    I have 07 Limited, i also notice extra decibels of noise compared to friend's 06. Is there a solution to this? Like using Synthetic oil. I was going to change to synthetic oil but dealer recommended switching after 10k with regular oil, meaning doing initial 5k with regular oil and switching at 10k.

Also notice a growl at 2000 to about 2500RPM in top gear and comes to hill or something but does not down shift.

A friend suggested to have different headers installed but don't want to go that route.
    The 06 has the 3MZ engine (3.3l V6) with a timing belt. Belts are quieter, but they also need to be changed at certain intervals. So your friend will be paying for timing belt replacements, and you won't.

Your 2GR V6 has a timing chain, which indeed makes more noise, but lasts the life of the car. Toyota added some sound insulation in the door jambs and in the firewall to offset that somewhat, but you will hear more engine noise.

Still, in the C&D van comparison the Sienna was one of the quietest vans at cruising speeds.

I wouldn't make any changes.
    Can someone do a 0-60 video of there 07 Sienna and post it on youtube? i have a video of our 04 Sienna.
  • lxpatellxpatel Posts: 34
    Thank You, I plan to try the Synthetic at 10k oil change and stickier tires that has a traction rating of A, at about 20k.
  • Hello
    I'd like to get some of you 3.5L owners to weigh in on my post in "slipping/non-responsive trottle". I think it is closely related to power issues!. I previously owned a 2001 sienna, and I swear that car had more pep and response than my new 2008 sienna. This unresponsive throttle issue is making me not feel the power!!! What do you think??
  • siennamisiennami Posts: 116
    You're kidding, right?? I drive an '07, which has the 3.5L engine, and it has plenty of pep. I live in the midlands of South Carolina, which isn't really hilly, but has some hills in various spots. On my way home today, my Silver Shadow took those hills like a champ! There was no problem at all accelerating up the hills. I will have to admit that the one thing that I've noticed is when cornering, and I've lifted my foot from the accelerator, the van does jerk whenever I do put my foot back on after making the turn. I don't remember my '00 doing that, but it's been 4 yrs. since I last drove that one, so my memory may be faulty. Other than that, I really don't have any throttle problems that I can point to.
    Glad to see the 3.5L doesn't have problems going up hills. Could you do a 0-60 video to post on Youtube? a lot of people keep talking about the Honda Odyssey being more powerful when it is not.
  • Please do your homework on these new 2008 Sienna's. This apppears to be a similar problem that has been plaguing the Camrys and Avalon for a few years. You can read other owners and expert opinions as well as technical reasons for the poor design on it at this website: http://fourwheeldrift.wordpress.com/2007/01/16/toyota-avalon-transmission-proble- ms-expose-toyotas-problem-reporting-problems/.
    All the symptoms they describe are exactly what is happening with my new van. If you test drive one be sure to do this coasting/ then acceleration thing, between 6-8mph. You will REALLY notice it if you hit the gas after breaking, and coasting over a speed bump.
    By the way there is no doubt this car is powerful, but this lagging acceleration after coasting really makes the car very annoying to drive. Maybe it isn't a slipping trottle thing. I wish I'd listen to my gut when I first brought this car home and not let the salesperson convince me that "the car needed to break-in", it was a "drive by-cable thing" and "the car learns how you drive". I would have brought it right back and asked for my money back.
    Just as an FYI, the Sienna uses the U151E transmission, while the problematic 6 speed in the Camry/Avalon is a totally different design, code named U660E.

C&D just tested all the latest vans and the Sienna was quickest in every single acceleration test, including their 5-60 "street start", which is 1mph below what you are reporting, but still shows a lag isn't normal even from a running start.

Sienna was also quickest in all the passing tests.

In another thread, I linked to the intake modification you might be interested in. Check that out.
  • Thanks for the FYI. Perhaps it isn't exactly what the Camrys are expereincing, but this problem has been written about in 2005 and 2006 Siennas. My van IS fast in acceleration. The problem isn't the constant application of the gas pedal-no problem there. The problem comes when you accelerate, then you cruise, then you apply the gas again. This is where you will feel a noticeable lag until it catches up and goes. The car will rev like it is in neutral then literally lunge after it (goes into gear?).
    I happen to be very annoyed by it on a daily basis, because I have a winding subdivision to navigate before I hit the road and I'm often at this under 8mph and coasting mode.
    I tend to strive for good fuel efficiency, so I roll in to the throttle gently most of the time. That seems to work well for me.

The few times were I punch it, though, mine seems to respond pretty quick, in fact some times I get more than I wanted (more noise, too much speed).
  • siennamisiennami Posts: 116
    Hey, ateixeira..... are you willing to bring your family on a visit to sunny South Carolina so that you can do one of those modifications on the Silver Shadow for me? :shades: I'm pretty much used to the hesitation that I feel; to me it's a small price to pay for the fact that I'm back in a Sienna! And have "y'all" noticed? Doesn't that 3.5L engine sound all "muscle-y" when you accelerate? That's what tickles me to death about mine; it sounds powerful, and it is when I need it to be, especially driving around the peeps around here like I do! ;)