Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dodge Dakota Owners - Meet the Members

Comments

• 96g1196g11 Posts: 88
    96g11
    George Miller
    Houston Tx
    I am a Houston police officer currently assigned to the Westside command DWI TASK FORCE. I am responsible for the the identification, and removal of intoxicated drivers from the roadway. I am also a DRE, which stands for drug recognition expert. That just means I am qualified to conduct an examination of persons suspected to be under the influence of drugs while driving.
    Before becoming a cop I was a U.S. Coast Guard search and rescue helicopter flight mechanic, avionics technician, and aviation electrician for 7 years. I received 3 humanitarian medals and the Distinguished Flying Cross. Not bragging but I am proud of that one. I have a 2000 quad cab sport 4x2 4.7l auto 3.92 lsd, white with agate interior. Modifications; factory wheel flares, spray in bed liner, stick on bug deflectors, homemade "cold air intake system" flowmaster muffler, self installed side molding(1"), I have just about every option with the exception of the steering wheel radio control (wish I had it though) and no towing package but will soon install the reece hitch.
    I hope to install the fabtech 3 1/2" suspension lift in september or october, just have to save for new wheels.
    This is an excellent forum!!!!!
  • resqmanresqman Posts: 71
    Thank you Bookitty. Yes, the hidden strobes are for emergency response.

They are sold as different power packs that will drive 2, 4, 6, or 8 lights. You buy bulbs in pairs of the colors you want to run red, white, yellow, blue, green. You remove your existing light assembly, drill a 1" hole, snap a strobe bulb with rubber gasket into hole, replace light assembly in vehicle. Run wire to power pack. Install switch to power pack and power pack to battery or fuse box.

No noticeable difference to the vehicle. All your factory lights function as normal. When needed, hit the strobe pack switch and the new strobe bulbs fire. You can still use your headlights at night, you just get an extra strobe burst of light periodically. You can put red strobes inside your headlamps and get red strobe light from your white headlight. Since the strobe bulb is inside the lamp assembly, you also get the reflectivity of the lamp assembly to assist the strobe bulb.

The colors you choose are defined by law for the various agencies depending on where you live. In New York, fire department uses blue lights and police run red. In Georgia, fire runs red, police run blue. In some states police run red and blue to help overcome color blindness. Yellow is typically construction/wrecker/non-essential vehicles. Park rangers run green. White cannot typically be used facing rearward (blinds following drivers).

You can purchase light bars for the roof, fog light style bumper bolt-ons, hide behind grill, and dash mount lights. The most expensive, difficult to install, and absolute coolest are the hidden strobes. What good are toys if you can't have the ones you want!
  • bigal31bigal31 Posts: 189
    Allen Lum AKA (bigal31)
    Syracuse,NY

Bought her Mid February (Quad not the wife)
    Married 4 yrs July 13th.32 years young no children,yet.

Flame Red Quad 4X4 Sport 4.7L
    31" tires Auto/lazy I guess.
    3.55 gears
    Heated mirrors/rear defroster
    Westin nerf bars (black)
    Mud flaps (rams head logo)
    Under the rail liner (Mopar)
    Bed rails - Black Aluminum (Mopar)
    Rear floor molded cargo tray (mopar)
    sill guards (Mopar)
    2745 miles 6/28/00

Things to come:
    Lift kit,believe it or not.33"-35" tires
    Grill guard not sure yet which one
    Catback Duel Exhaust/intake kit
    Tint windows

Just want to thank everyone for their help,most of the time.I look forward to coming home and turning on the computer to read all your words of wisdom.Anyone here can E-mail me any time and for any reason...bigalfatal@altavista.com
    Allen-
  • vmanvman Posts: 103
    John Vendetti (vman)
    Tullytown, Pa (near bookitty)

I'm 34, married, have a 3.5 y/o son, and daughter due in August. The new family addition was the reason for the vehicle update.

QUAD: '00 Sport, Amber Fire/Agate, 3.9, ATX, power group, keyless entry, buckets, rear slider window, standard AM/FM cassette, T&H, factory flares, and door edge guards.

Additions: bug shield with "eyebrows", door sill guards, K&N drop in, flowmaster 70 series muffler, DIY black body side moulding (Pro Stripe: M104) that ties into/matches the rear bumper, BAK rail protectors, Draw-Tite 2" receiver/wiring harness.

Still to go: D/C mud flaps, DIY liquid bed liner followed by plastic under rail liner. I'll eventually get a brush guard and auxilliary trans. cooler.

It was my intention to order the truck to my specs., but if you recall my sob story, it didn't work out that way. I ended up buying off a dealer lot and giving up a few things while gaining a few others. No matter, we love the vehicle and it will handle all our needs as the family truckster.
  • bookittybookitty Posts: 1,303
    What's this you say John! There are two Amber Fire Pearl Quads in Bucks County? Egad, I'm duplicated!!!

Bookitty
  • Just got rid of my old home to work "beater" 88 Omni with 250,000 mi, died in the dealers lot while trading it in on a 2000 SLT 4WD-4.7, ext cab-SB , "loaded", you name it-it's got it... flame red with towing and HD package. Just 1500 miles so far. Only complaint is MPG avg 15 so far. Hope to do better after break in. Any ideas when that is? I've heard so many diff numbers. I just love this truck. My first one to be exact. Have many questions regarding switching oil to synthetic type for crankcase, transmission, and differentials. I am a Volunteer Firefighter- Paramedic and I have a much better response time(sic) but am reluctant to use magnetic warning lights. Will probably look into hidden warning lights "Walker" style. Thanks in advance for any responses. Orlando 2kdaklover
  • vmanvman Posts: 103
    Not to worry, boo, since I ended up with the 3.9, you'll only see it in the rear view! :)
  • steve234steve234 Posts: 460
    I thought that I might put together a spread sheet of the membership as it gets posted. So far there are 25 of us that have signed in with many notable exceptions holding off. I figure that the number of people signing in should go up fairly fast in the next couple of months.
    What I would like to find out as everyone registers here is town or area, age, Dakota year, body (R,CC,Q) engine, trans., rearend ratio, lsd? Towing? T&H?, 2/4wd?, color, sport/slt?. Any other items of interest would be of interest, like name, marital status, kids, etc. This is going to be for my reference only because I have a lousy memory fo people. If I get requests for copies, I will not send any out until I consult with the membership aforehand.
    I would like to see a meet happen in my area. If we do have one, it would be great to actually meet every body.
  • knkresortknkresort Posts: 79
    Kurt Wangenheim, (KnKResort)
    Houston, TX

Bought my 00 Quad to replace my 97 Ford Ranger. With a wife, 2-year old son, and 2 dogs, I needed something to carry everyone in the cab. My wife hated being left in the bed all time, especially when it rained.

Quad is Forest Green, 2wd, 5sp, 4.7L SLT with most everything power except I went for the bench seat. I have added a Pendaliner drop-in and an Extang soft tonneau.

I put 75 miles a day on truck and other than filling up every 5 days, I love this truck. It still turns heads although there are more and more on the road everyday. My neighbor bought a Nissan crew cab and is now regretting it. Oh well, I let him drool over mine periodically as long as he doesn't drip on the paint.

Good luck to all and thanks to Jack and AJ for getting this going.

KnK
  • gsu1gsu1 Posts: 43
    Steve234- How do you want the information to be sent to you? E-mail. I myself would like to get a copy of the list. I am in Atlanta and feel alone down here. It seem that everyone in the group is from Texas or up in the Northern states.

To the group: I have been thinking about place where our group could get together. I was thinking about following in the footsteps of the Jeep group and meeting in the mountains of Tennessee or Kentucky. They have their Camp Jeep at locations all over this great Nation of ours and they have several locations they meet in those states. This would give the 4x4 drivers a place to play and would be fun for everyone else. I am really excited about this group and the potential for all the helpful information and friendships to follow.
  • steve234steve234 Posts: 460
    I will take all the information from this forum as it is posted. If you did not mention any of the information I am checking on, you might post it. gsu1: as an example, I don't have if you have the sport or SLT, RE ratio, lsd, TT or T&H. If you don't have it, you don't need to mention it. I am mainly interested in funtional features.

As far as distributing the list, it is still early in the people registering. When we get more of the members registered, I will ask the founding fathers to give me criteria for e-mailing the list. I don't want to violate any rules or make any one paranoid.

Stats so far:
    25 registered-19 quads, 3 stand. cabs, 3 CC
    22-4.7 (16 Auto, 5 manual), 2-3.9 (1 ea). 1-5.2
    11-4wd, 12-2wd
    11-SLT, 9-Sport
  • raptor01raptor01 Posts: 45
    A Dakota/demographic spread sheet is a great idea. I don't think anyone would be offended if you post numbers instead of names. Just a thought.
  • pttaylorpttaylor Posts: 34
    Bradenton, Fl
    1998 2wd Std cab - SB -
    3.9L - Auto - Flame Red. I am currently upgrading from 15X6 factory steel rims to 2000 15X8 Split-star wheels. Any sugestions on tire sizes and makes????? -TIA.
  • iowabigguyiowabigguy Posts: 552
    Handle Iowa Big Guy

name: Rick Sheeres, 54 years young, Live in
    Council Bluffs, Iowa but work in Omaha, Nebraska.
    Married 30 years, have 2 daughters and a 8 year
    old female Doberman named Boomer. I've been an Electronics and Computer Technician for the last 36 years.

from the toy factory: 2000 Dakota Quad, light
    driftwood, 4.7L, 5spd 3.55lsd 2WD SLT+, Tire &
    Handling package, Heavy Duty package, Tow package,
    agate interior, fog lights, 4 wheel antilock brakes and standard cassette radio

add ons: K&N air filter, Leer 100XQ topper, Yakima
    roof racks for topper, 2nd set of 15x8 wheels for
    snow tires. Weatherguard floor mats, rubber bed
    mat, PIAA Platinum 9007 headlight bulbs, replaced
    standard radio with Chrysler am/fm CD removed from
    previous 93 Dakota CC

planned additions: Line-X spray in bed liner,
    upgraded speakers, Possibly a mild suspension drop
    with a set of R/T rims and upgraded tires a year or so down the line.

Hobbies: Computer networking and restoring a 1960s era fiberglas hydroplane and matching Mercury Thunderbolt outboard motor (back when they were painted white).
  • pfurterpfurter Posts: 1
    Just joined Edmunds today, I've been accessing it for quite a long time now. It's a great site!
    I used info gained from it to purchase my 2000 Quad SLT, Patriot Blue/Driftwood, Agate/GRAY!, 3.9, Auto, 3.55, T&H, SLT decor plus & a Mopar bed liner. I've added an Extang "Tonno".
    I say this site was a great help in purchasing my Quad as my wife and I walked out of our local Dodge dealer 4 times until we got our deal! We landed it for $400 over invoice plus the bed liner.
    We tried one of the on-line car price services, their offer was good but the trade allowance was very poor! I traded a 1999 Dakota CC SLT with only 4000 miles. Couldn't wait until the Quads showed up!
    The truck is super! I have less than 1000 miles on it now and have had it for about 2-1/2 months. I read where someone has experienced the truck "hopping" when hitting a bump at speed. I have felt this also. My 99 never did that. Is it the R&P steering? Also one day at an intersection my turn signal stopped flashing (neither right or left would flash). Then after the ignition was turned off the I turned on either signal and the lamps lit without flashing! This is with my ignition keys in my hand! The next day I checked them again, still doing it. I started the truck heard a click, now all is once again well with the signals. I know if I take it in for service the techs will say, "We can't duplicate your problem" and will not do anything. Anyone have any thoughts on this?
    I hope to gather info from everyone on their new Quad experiences. I hope I can contribute the same.
    Happy Quadding,
    Pfurter from West Central PA.
  • gsu1gsu1 Posts: 43
    steve234-Here is a little more information on my Quad cab. 4.7 w/ 3.55 lsd, auto, 4x4, T&H, tow pkg, sliding rear window, power everything, cd cass. The only thing that I have added is a Line-x bed protection.

My wish list includes nerf bars, safari bars for the front, roll-n-lock bed cover, 3" lift ?, either flow master or dynomax muffler system. Heck maybe someday a supercharger. Now only if I can talk my wife into letting me buy all these things.
  • mailman54mailman54 Posts: 111
    Handle: Mailman
    Home: Hopewell, Virginia

3.92 gear ratio, LSD

Added factory fender flares & body side moulding
    Also have 91 5.2 2wd auto Dakota w/105,000 miles

Love the 3.92 gear ratio on my 00 4.7 Dakota, 91 5.2 had 3.55 and I was always pressing the overdrive lockout button when going up hills. No more! This thing is always in the power band! Haven't used the overdrive lockout once with 3.92
    Mileage average in the 17's so far after 4700 miles.

Looking for good rear anti-sway bar next. Regular cab does not get rear anti-sway bar with Tire and Handling Group. What a bummer!
  • Snowcountry - from north central BC (that's British Columbia for you folk's way south)

No where near Columbia, not very British though our Canadian QC'ers will know Molsons Canadian's "the Rant"

July 1st is the 133rd birthday of our country, founded by the "fathers of confederation" at a peacefull meeting in Charlottown PEI

We won the War of 1812, we are your largest trading partner, settled our west without firing a shot, make the best beer, and admit that Dodge City, Michigan makes a heck of a truck.

These QC forums were the reason I bought the truck, figured since some pretty intelligent forum inhabitants bought a QC I couldn't go wrong.

Pat blue, 2wd 4.7 5spd 3.92 LSD Tow Dealer mounted mud flaps and roof racks

On my third tank of gas, first fill up was ugh -like 13 MPG (U.S. Gal) Third, all highway 100KPH was bang on the factory EPA of 26 MPG (imperial Gal) I think our gallons about 15% bigger so that would be 22MPG US. Hauls awesome, put her in 5th, set the cruise and anything less than a 7% grade it just motors right on.

I live in an area with 8months of snow and 4 months bad sledding, I hope I don't regret getting 2wd

I hang around the QC forums regulary, post occasionaly, I enjoy the yacking, info is very useful, seems like quite the mixed demographics.
  • carls5carls5 Posts: 62
    I am sure glad the AJ and themacguy got this off the ground. Great group with outstanding information being provided.

My name is Carl Schmidt and I live in San Ramon CA which is approx 40 miles SE of SF. I am a Native Californian and have lived here all of my 61 years. Been married 42 years and have two children. I retired for the Govt. 5 years ago after being a civil servant for 33 years. Over the last 5 years I have been working in the private sector doing marketing back to, who else, the Government. I am now semi-retired. My advocation is flying single engine aircraft and boating.

My QC is intense blue with a cab high Stockman shell. I have a 4X2 w/ 4.7 auto, 3.92, T&H, tow group, all power everything, sliding rear window, upgraded radio/cd and just about every other option but 4 wheel abs and LSD.

I plan to add mud flaps, flares and will be installing a K&N filter.
  • newquadnewquad Posts: 33
    Just wanted to say hi to another fellow Bay Area person on the list. I live in Albany, but worked in San Ramon at the hospital there the last 4 years. Just changed to John Muir. Glad to see another quadder in the area!