Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BMW 335i vs Infiniti G37

Comments

• kdshapirokdshapiro Posts: 5,751
    Maybe you're right..the G37 is the best choice?

Why don't you try to option out the G37 so it has exactly the same performance numbers and hp/torque as a 335 with the dinan or vishnu chip. What would that cost if even doable? One has gotta ask, doesn't the 335 mods seem like a bargain for 350 hp and gobs of torque at any price?
  • fedlawmanfedlawman Posts: 3,118
    But you can't upgrade the HP of the 335i without addressing the brakes and driveline - it just wasn't designed to handle all that extra power. At the very least, you'll need to upgrade the brakes and differential too. Fortunately, Dinan sells a "big brake kit" for $6300 and Turner Motorsport sells a LSD for $3700.

Of course, only a poseur would up the HP and leave the suspension stock. After all, what good is all that HP if you can't put it down to the pavement? Since the standard "Sport Suspension" isn't up to the task of putting all that power on the road, you'll want to get a set of Bilstein Sport shocks and H&R springs + swaybars from Turner Motorsport for $1200. Finally, replace the "run-flat" tires with a set of proper rubber - Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 tires for $900 from The Tire Rack and you're all set.

Or you could buy a Porsche...
  • jmarounjmaroun Posts: 139
    relax, lighten up.

Are you a BMW representative or sale's rep or something? It sure sounds like it.

I'm just sayin. The 335i is a bit bland in my opinion and was considering how to liven it up a notch. I'm not the only one who thinks the 335i is toned down given its sporty performance.

I'll probably just get the 335i with Sports Package and Aerokit. If I hear of raving reviews of Dinan mod'd 335i's...and I'm feelin like a bit more hp/torque.. I'll consider Dinan.

I hear that not all 335's come with the oil cooler. What's the deal with that??
    There's no negotiating on this item as far as I'm concerned. No oil cooler, no sale!

Joseph
    San Diego
    blog: http://www.carspace.com/blogs/enthusiastsdilemma08
  • shiposhipo Posts: 9,152
    "I hear that not all 335's come with the oil cooler. What's the deal with that??
    There's no negotiating on this item as far as I'm concerned. No oil cooler, no sale!"

A couple of points:

1) I don't understand why you should worry about an oil cooler. If you're only going to be driving your car on the public roads, then you're NEVER going to need the oil cooler, regarless of how hot the OAT is.
    2) Cars with the Sports Package come with the oil cooler as those are the ones that are most likely to see some track time.
    3) fedlawman is one of our most esteemed BMWcentric members who does take his car to the track and drives the stuffin' out of it.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • ccc4ccc4 Posts: 4
    First, which car did you buy? 335xi? 335i coupe? There is no 335ci.

2. 335i sedan - something about the car just did not feel comfortable.
    So, the 335ci was the car for me. I love how it drives and it feels like a V8. Torque everywhere, as instant a throttle response as you can expect out of a turbo setup.

I thought all 335s come with the same turbo engine. Does 335ci really feel much better in regards to the power and torque?

I enjoyed driving this car a lot, the transmission was very good,

again, transmission should be the same to all 335s.

I am not sure which model you refered to. I test drove only 335i sedan. It's already very nice. Thinking to get it soon. I am wondering if there is a better one except 335xi(I know the difference between 335i and 335xi). :confuse: :confuse: :confuse:
    "Are you a BMW representative or sale's rep or something? It sure sounds like it."

That's your second attempt to goad me into a response, when you already know (first hand) that I'm not one to mince words. So instead of responding directly (and making you cry again), I'm going to show some restraint.

What I'll say in the clearest way I know is...

I'm a car enthusiast who knows a thing or two about performance and vehicle dynamics. If I were in your shoes right now, here's what I'd do.

1. I'd buy out the lease on my current 330i for probably half the price of that new 335i.
    2. I'd invest $900 on a set of Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 tires.

The tires alone will improve acceleration, cornering, braking, transient response, and steering feel. But if you're really looking for an excuse to spend some money...

3. I'd splurge on Dinan's excellent S1 Package for the 330i. For $4300, you get a nice boost in power (270 HP) and the S1 suspension, which literally transforms the E90 into a genuine sport sedan. The Dinan Stage 1 330i is, in my opinion, superior in every way (that matters) to a stock 335i, and you've already half payed for it.

Of course, I already know you're not interested in actual performance results. You would rather festoon your car with useless aerodyanmic add-ons and overpriced computer chips and oil coolers you don't need. A fool and his money...
    you've got to lighten up,

On your thoughts:

1.) I'd never buy a BMW. Too much liability and reliability hassles. Several mechanics have warned me that BMW's tend to fall appart after 4 years. So, I'd rather lease'em.

2.) Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 tires: good idea however you get 2-3 less mpg and they tend to be slippery when cold (before driving 15-20 minutes).

3.) Dinan's excellent S1 Package for the 330i. For $4300 http://www.carspace.com/blogs/enthusiastsdilemma08
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Lightening up is a good idea... If you ask for opinions, you're gonna get 'em. No need to tell people keep their opinions to themselves just because they are not the ones you want to hear. It's easy enough to scroll by and not respond.

There are plenty of owner opinions posted here in the 3-Series group as well as the Infiniti G37 group that you can read. There is an awful lot of depth of content on this site that should be very helpful to you. :)

Check it out!
    Several mechanics have warned me that BMW's tend to fall appart after 4 years. So, I'd rather lease'em

Your right, a few uninformed mechanics have it over the several million BMW satisified BMW owners. If you read the G35 problems boards, you would come away with the same impression of the G35.
  • shiposhipo Posts: 9,152
    "I'd never buy a BMW. Too much liability and reliability hassles. Several mechanics have warned me that BMW's tend to fall appart after 4 years."

I'm not inclined to believe that. I've worked on plenty of old German cars, BMWs included, and I certainly would never say that they were falling apart after a few years and a few hundred thousand miles.

"Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 tires: good idea however you get 2-3 less mpg and they tend to be slippery when cold (before driving 15-20 minutes)."

Two to three miles per gallon lost due to the change of the tires? Are you serious? If tires were absorbing that much energy, those poor skins would melt off the rims in fairly short order. As for them being slippery when cold, yes, when below forty degrees they tend to be a bit diabolical, however, the number of times per year that San Diego gets below fourty can be counted on the fingers of one hand.

As for the other advice (i.e. keeping your current car and adding some go fast goodies or tarting up a 335i), personally I don't see the point of either. Maybe it's just me. :confuse:

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    "1.) I'd never buy a BMW. Too much liability and reliability hassles. Several mechanics have warned me that BMW's tend to fall appart after 4 years. So, I'd rather lease'em.

2.) Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 tires: good idea however you get 2-3 less mpg and they tend to be slippery when cold (before driving 15-20 minutes).

ROTFLMAO! :cry:
  • circlewcirclew Posts: 8,250
    As for the other advice (i.e. keeping your current car and adding some go fast goodies or tarting up a 335i), personally I don't see the point of either. Maybe it's just me.

I used to think that when I was younger but the performance difference in today's cars considering the price to do it right vs.utility is just not worth it (read:EGO BOOST ONLY).

In a BMW, if you want performance, get any of the M cars. The 335 is a sedan with a great blend of performance that can't be maximized on the roads by 99% of the owners anyway. Watch the warranty when upgrading even if you lease, by the way.

Dinan upgrdes are OK if you are going to use the car for the track.

All hobbies come with a cost and racing has a higher cost to the non-do-it-yourself set.

To each his own. No point to me. I'll take it stock,please.

Regards,
    OW
    Hello Pat,

I agree with your sentiment..I only wish everyone else did as well. I won't let insulting remarks go unchecked. I hope you'd agree with me on that one.

I come here to talk about cars. Specifically..I'm talking about cars that I'm seriously considering. This isn't just casual talk here. I've used Edmunds forums since around... 1999 I believe..when I bought my first car on the internet. Toyota Camry XLE V6. I must've posted hundreds of posts..and read tens of thousands..No exageration.

Right now, the 335i and G37 are on my radar. And I appreciate impressions and friendly suggestions. I also appreciate the freedom to post my opinions about CARS..and not people.

Ok..lets get back to talking about the cars I and millions of others want to buy already.

Keep it friendly.

Joseph
    San Diego
    I believe that the 335i is a beautiful piece of engineering.
    It's sporty, elegant, relatively simple..has great low end torque and handling, its steering feel is great.

Unfortunately, its missing a sporty extreme edge I wish it had..More in appearance than anything else. Hard to explain... well..just look at its interior..for example. Yes it's refined inside and tidy, but it's just a tad bland no? The front bumber is also, way too tame IMO. dishing out $50k should be a bit more exciting

Joseph
    San Diego
    Right now, the 335i and G37 are on my radar

Heres a thought, why don't you test drive the stuffings out of the two contenders and post your comments. This way we can talk about the cars instead of picking on other members' posts.
  • circlewcirclew Posts: 8,250
    You would need the sport package but if you need a more appealing interior according to your tastes, you might want the G35. Not as refined as the 335 IMHO but a great car non-the-less.

If you want true race level performance, these both seem put of your prferences.

Try the 135i in a few months or the '08 Mitsu Evolution MR/WRX STi. Might be better for you.

Regards,
    OW
    The BMW 3-series has always been an understated sedan. From the boxy E30 all the way through to the purposeful E46, it has never had "a sporty extreme edge." The E90 simply follows the same formula that has made the 3-series one of the most enduring and popular cars of all time. Heck, even BMW decribes the 3-series as "clean, uncluttered and elegant."

Maybe you should check out the Cadillac CTS, Acura TL-S, and Lexus IS-350. All are arguably more stylish/edgy looking than the 3-series, and many people on these forums think the interiors are nicer too.
    I've test driven the 335i. I feel thoroughly satisfied with what it delivers in terms of driving dynamics. It delievered everything I expected without further wanting.

The experience was kind of like having a perfect dinner at a fine Italian restaurant.
    It reminded me of a recent experience I had one peaceful night on Thompson St. in the Village, NYC. There I was with a beautiful girl that I care about in front of me to watch while I feast on one of my favorite dishes.. Zoupe de Pesce, sipping on Pinor Noir and after which having esspresso and chocolate gelato before having a short pleasant walk back to myplace. It was really nice.I remember asking myself in the morning; how much more complete can a night get??

That's how I felt after the test drive! Thoroughly satisfied.

Joseph
    San Diego
  • cmnottcmnott Posts: 200
    Well I ended up going with the G37. I know there is no 335ci, I just referred to it that way because I was discussing my thoughts on the 335i sedan and since both have the same moniker, I added the "c" for clarity purposes.

I know that the powertrains are all the same, I just did not feel comfortable in the 335i sedan, as I explained if maybe it was the door pillar in my peripheral, I don't know but the coupe felt more airy and hence was my choice if I were to go with the BMW. they were obviously the same power-wise but the sloped windshield made the coupe feel nicer for me.

So basically my preference for the coupe was not based on driving but on style and I simply enjoyed being in the coupe more.

If you do go with a 335i, you would be wasting your money with any "xi" model it adds weight, worse gas mileage and it really does not address the challenges of winter driving. Get a 335i, winter wheel/tires and simply drive prudently knowing that you have traction control and anti-skid, which is probably the single most important technological development to safer winter driving. Take it from me, I am in Ottawa where we have crazy winters!
    If you do go with a 335i, you would be wasting your money with any "xi" model it adds weight, worse gas mileage and it really does not address the challenges of winter driving.

I beg to differ, and for the record, the G35x suffers "the same" weight issues as the "xi".

AWD adds quite of driveability in snow and totally mitigates winter driving conditions especially with 4 snow tires, except for sheet ice. Having owned AWD, RWD, RWD with snows and FWD...AWD offers the best traction, yes at the expense of some added weight. AWD and all seasons is more versatile and stable than RWD with snows.