Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BMW 335i vs Infiniti G37

Comments

• jmarounjmaroun Posts: 139
    I may go with the 335i coupe. I don't feel a need or reason to get the xi. I live in San Diego. It usually hardly rains here and it never snows. I have the impression that XI is just an added complication to a car. It may add traction, but usually..added weight defeats the gains and numbs the driving experience. Obviously, there are exceptions.. GTR for example..but that is an extreme case.

Even if I lived where it snowed in the winter..I'd opt for snow tires rather than get the xi. And, if someone lived where it snowed very oftern, a 3series BMW should not even be a consideration IMO. In extreme weather, I'd probably consider an SUV or pickup truck.

Thank God I no longer live in Vermont. A beautiful place in its own right, but sheet metal rusts there faster than I thought possible. If I owned a 3series there, I'd garage it until the summer, and drive an F150 or Tacoma or something all other times.

Joseph
    San Diego
    my blog: http://www.carspace.com/blogs/enthusiastsdilemma08/
  • cmnottcmnott Posts: 200
    My point really has nothing to do with the G35x, because my argument would apply to that model as well.

You may have better driveability, certainly form a stop light but if you are entering a bend, what is AWD going to do for you? You will still plow into a snowbank and park your car next to the 4x4 that is stuck as well. Dynamic Stability Control, or yaw control or anti-skid will stop your winter-tired rwd car from meeting that snowbank. That is the greatest challenge of winter driving, a car that starts to slide and short of being a very experienced driver, this mechanism is the be all and end all of winter driving, IMHO.

AWD is overrated.
  • cmnottcmnott Posts: 200
    Actually a 3 series would be totally fine with the right winter tires. I drive my 2005 Mustang Gt in the winter. It really is not a big deal. Is ot a bit of a handful off theline? With all that torque of course it is, but once you start moving and the TC kicks in, it is a piece of cake. Granted, my driving skills may be suprior to others, but I do have Michelin X-ice on the vehicle and I do not have the luxury of DSC. If I can drive my Mustang a 3 series would be a no brainer with the right tires.
  • kdshapirokdshapiro Posts: 5,751
    We disagree. I lived through the Blizzard of 96 in the NE. If you think AWD is overrated, you should have tried to get through the drifts and banks without it. I frankly don't care about plowing into a turn, I care about getting the car going easily should I make a turn on a steep hill with a foot of drifts.

The reason you believe AWD is overrated is your priority is different. By the way it's just as easy to end up in a ditch with RWD as with AWD. And, AWD will outaccelerate RWD in snow. I'll take the added stopping distance of a foot, due to the added weight.

I drove my 330i with all-seasons for a few winters. You can get by with anything.
  • circlewcirclew Posts: 8,246
    One more time...AWD gets you started. AWD with snows is the ultimate to get you to zero. Period.

Regards,
    OW
  • brumanbruman Posts: 1
    I owned a 2003 G35 coupe and loved it. I purchased it for about 41k. To me the difference in price from a 330i was significant at around 10k. I eagerly awaited the release of the G37 and intended to make that my next car, especially after seeing the concept model. When the G37 was released, I was under impressed by it's exterior styling (of course this is entirely subjective). Also a fully equipped G37 now runs around 45k. The price difference between a 2008 G37 and 335i now (similarly equipped) is around 6k. I can afford the extra 6k and I love the looks of the 335i. I ended up buying the BMW. What I am really impressed is the performance and refinement of the 335i and I do not regret my purchase. That being said, go with your gut... people like their cars for their own reasons. You can't go wrong with either.
  • circlewcirclew Posts: 8,246
    Best of luck with your 335i and many enjoyable drives may you have. I agree both are great choices.

Regards,
    OW
  • Price differential is heavily dependent upon (at least) 3 factors:

1) how heavily equipped you want your car
    2) how you define "comparably equipped"
    3) how deep a discount is achievable at the local dealers for each car

For me, I could not get the "comparably equipped" price difference below $10k. For a 6mt sport with premium package (I could care less about nav or tech) I was able to get the price below $38k + TTL. There is no way I was going to get a Dallas dealer to give me a 335i coupe with Sport + Premium + Comfort Access + heated seats + satellite radio + iPod connector + 19" wheels (pretty much as close to comparably equipped as I can get) for $43.5k + TTL. If I could have done that, I would have (and I gave them a clear chance to do so), but none would even go down to $47k at the time. I'm glad you like the 335i (it is fantastic), but you should consider yourself very lucky if you only paid a $6k premium comparably equipped.
  • owner6owner6 Posts: 89
    Now that you have had the 335I for nine months what has your reliability experience been? Any fuel, injector engine problems.

I have a 2006 330I and want to go to a 2009 335I however I have heard horror stories about the 335 engine fuel system problems and six week waits for parts and fixes. And engine stopping on freeways.

I am going to look at the G35 however I see its now called a G37 so I have some reading and test driving to do. When your going to spend around $50K on a machine it should have quality and reliability to say the least.

Anyone with comments, suggestions or advise please respond
    Owner6
  • jmarounjmaroun Posts: 139
    Hey owner6,

I own a 2008 335i sedan, manual with sports package. It's been about 4 months now. Here's my advice.

The G37 isn't as refined nor engaging compared to the 335i. If you want
    more (performance, handling, experience than the 335i, I'd suggest looking into a 370Z providing you don't mind less utillity..but the 370Z will probably give both..more performance and "perhaps" better reliability compared to the 335i. Don't forget however, BMW offers free maintainance for 4 years 50k. That's a big deal people may overlook.

The 335i, for me, is the best of possible sports sedans currently made. Sure, I'd say your chances of needing to replace a fuel pump are well above 50%..but it'll be on BMW's dime..and mine only took 3 days to replace. :) The 335i is a beauty to drive..especially with a manual transmission. Sure, I wish it had even more torque and was even lighter..but there is no other car out there (other than the hidious 135i) that will beat its package for the money. The 335i may not have as many fancy gadgets, bells and whisles as the G37..but those things are distractions from what is most important..the driving experience. In my view, it is easy to take the 335i's performance for granted...meaning..it does its job so well, and thoroughly, it becomes expected. Stepping into any other car in its class immediately reviels the truth however. The 335i sets the benchmark.

As for buying one..I'd highly recommend looking at the used market right now as it is is flooded with good deals. the 2008 model is identicle to the 2009 in every important respect and costs thousands less.

Good luck finding which car is best for you..

Joseph
    San Diego
  • I respectfully disagree.

Maybe its the runflats, or maybe I'm more comfortable with the 4-wheel steering than others, but I found the G37S to be much more engaging than the 335i.

Call it steering feel, feedback, connectivity, whathaveyou, I felt the G had more of it.

I also maintain that everyone's opinion differs based on experience. So I recommend anyone interested to do their own homework thoroughly.
  • I guess I should add:

this could also be the LSD that comes standard on the G37, and isn't offered on the 3-series. I'm used to being able to come out of a corner under a fair amount of power. And the G37S did this surprisingly well.

It could also be the chassis stiffness. Thats where most of the handling improvements of the new 370Z and G37 come from. Nissan won't hesitate to add a couple pounds if it means no body roll.

I just felt the G to be more compliant, thus urging me to push it harder.
  • fedlawmanfedlawman Posts: 3,118
    I need to test drive the G37. I drove a G35 6MT when it first came out and was unimpressed with the heavy-feeling chassis, abrupt clutch, and touchy throttle tip-in.

From what I've read, the G37 is much improved. If so, I would be inclined to choose it over the 335i just for the durability of a non-turbo, japanese reliability, and of course, it has normal tires and a dip stick!

The 370Z, while ugly, looks to be the sports car to beat for 2009. Following in it's ancestors footsteps, it performs like a Porsche Cayman for 1/2 the price - on paper anyways.
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Forest Lakes, AZPosts: 3,206
    . . .it has normal tires and a dip stick!

Yeah, plus the LSD, which is a high-dollar aftermarket add-on everywhere else.

If Nissan can figure out how to get the kind of fuel economy that the BMW mills can deliver when they're being gently driven, then they'll have the whole package.

Having the power available is great (damn the MPGs at that point), but it's also necessary these days to be able to sip fuel on the highway as well.
    Yup, forgot the LSD - big plus...
  • VLSD is not standard on G37s. It is standard on g37s with 6MTs or as an option for the journey models (coupe and sedan).
    Anyone buying a G37 without a 6MT probably doesn't need or care about a LSD.
  • roadburnerroadburner Posts: 6,013
    Anyone buying a G37 without a 6MT probably doesn't need or care about a LSD

And they probably think that LSD expands your mind... :P

2009 328i / 2004 X3 2.5/ 1995 318ti Club Sport/ 1975 2002A/ 2007 Mazdaspeed 3/ 1999 Wrangler/ 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica

It expands my mind as it tightens my line.
  • Maybe I missed it somewhere in this discussion but how does Nissan squeeze out 100 more HP in their G37x V6 vs. the Bimmers in-line 6 328ix and get the same mileage? :confuse: