Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dodge Dakota: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• dustykdustyk Posts: 2,931
    Assuming you've used good quality ignition parts, my first suspect is a dirty idle air control pintle or an inoperative Idle Air Control (IAC) Motor. If the throttlebody has never been cleaned this is a good first choice.

Another good suspect is a dirty or defective Throttle Position Sensor. this is mounted on the left side of the throttlebody just above the IAC Motor.

Best regards,
    Dusty
  • I lowered the tire pressure and this did seem to help some of the vibration while driving, but not all of it. Still feel the problem is in the axels and drums. Good luck on the :lemon: .
  • Have had the same problem with a 2005 V-8 Quad. Shook violently when braking, especially downhill and/or over 40MPH. They replaced rear axles/drums. Better now but also have problem with drifting to the right. Tires rotated and balanced and alignment done but still notice problem, though not as bad. Going back next week. Only 7900 miles. Disappointed with my first Dodge so far.

Service Bulletin 05-004-05 REV. A
    Group: Brakes
    Date: November 8, 2005
  • I also have a 2005 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab. I do not have the violent shaking that you other people are experiencing.
    what I am having is some sort of vibration, a feeling like you are driving over a series of very small pumps. This happens at almost all speeds, but isn't always the same in intensity. The dealer adjusted weights and tire pressure,and re-balanced tires. I also had lots of trouble with the check engine light. Since they replaced and adjusted a sensor in the rear end, that problem has gone away. The service manager's last statement to me was that they feel that because I have the tow package, with heavy suspension,etc., it is just normal for the vehicle.
    My question to him was, Why wasn't noticable by me until I
    got around 8,000 miles on the truck. The mechanic that works on the truck said to keep an eye on it and he will watch Dodge bulletins. I real like the truck except for this.
  • jnealjneal Posts: 247
    I have 06 QC w/tow pkg and hd suspension. I have to say that the Goodyear Eagle tires do seem to ride a bit harsh. Not trying to defend the dealer but it may be that you didn't notice the harshness until they started jacking around with the tire pressure. The sticker calls for 35 psi in the tires so perhaps if you dropped back to abt 32 the ride would improve. I haven't tried this however. I haven't had any of the vibration problems that some with 05's have reported but only have 1800 miles at present.
  • My 2005 Dakota has a rattle noise in the front dash on passenger side. Sounds similar to a loose screw vibrating, wobbling, snapping sound. Dealer checked outside plastic molding on bottom windshield outside on passenger side. Checked wiper blades, not the problem. Then dealer thinks it is in the windshield. They have a windshield company remove windshield and reseal it. That helped some to reduce noise, but still there off and on. Can hear it with radio on and driving 30 to 40 MPH. Gets irritating to hear this. It starts and stops on a whim or bump, not a constant rattle. Anyone else have this or a fix? Dealer asked Dodge Tech support they say they don't know any other Dakotas doing this. Dealer has had truck in their shop for 10 or 11 days total in 4 different visits.
  • sunburnsunburn Posts: 319
    Over the past few weeks I've noticed what sounds like an intermittent ignition noise coming through the radio on my 4.7L. I varies with engine RPM and goes away when the engine is turned off. With coil on plug ignition on the 4.7L, there aren't any plug wires to replace, so I'm at a loss where to start looking. I suppose it could be a bad plug (just replaced 3K miles ago) or coil module. Anyone have any thoughts? Thanks.
    I would suspect, as you do, either a coil or a plug but also would look for a bad engine-frame ground. Did you use dielectric grease on the plug boots when you installed the plugs?
  • bpeeblesbpeebles Posts: 4,080
    Are you hearing a "crackling" sound or more of a "whining" that increases with engine RPM?

A "whining" sound is the ALTERNATOR... not ignition.

In any case, I would recommend that you pull off each ground lug one at a time and file down to bare metal below each one. (I even soldered the wires to the lugs just to make sure corrosion would not get in the crimps.)
  • I purchased a 1995 Dakota extended cab truck third owner
    since bought new. after two months of daily driving I heard
    a clicking noise coming from engine,but the noise did not
    sound deep into engine.so I tore down front of engine to
    timing chain found that the upper bolt in cam shaft which,
    holds upper timimg pulley on shaft was loose.I replaced both upper and lower timing pulleys.Also replaced tensioner
    also.put back together and drove for two more months without any trouble. I traded it to a friend of mine for
    a full size chevy Z71.To cut to the chase since my friend
    has had the truck this problem has happened twice.The last time I tore down the truck for the third time,I replaced the bolt rethreaded shaft and used red thread locker and
    also used a lock washer.Problem is still happening seems
    as if it wont go away.If any one has had simular problems
    please HELP!!! I do not wish to end my friendship with this guy over a truck I offered to trade back but he wont
    have it.Down and out!!
  • sunburnsunburn Posts: 319
    Yes, I have used dielectric grease on the coil boots. Also, the noise is a crackling sound, not a whining sound. When the weather warms up again, I'll check the engine grounds. It is an intermittent sound. This morning, it didn't do it. Also, when it does do it, it sounds aperiodic. So, it doesn't appear to happen everytime a particular coil/plug fires.
    I'm assuming from your previous post that you hadn't noticed this noise before you changed the plugs. What is the mileage on your truck?
    I agree with bpeebles about the grounding system but could still be a coil or plug, most likely a coil if that is where the problem is. A coil, if arcing intermittently, wouldn't be noticable as a dead miss in one cylinder would. Look at the engine running after dark and see if you can see any arcing. Also pull the plugs and examine them carefully and see if you see any evidence one of them is misfiring.
  • I have the same problem and Bro, I don't know about you but, I didn't pay for a new vehicle that shakes and wobbles! I am EXTREMELY P.O'ed.!!! I am being told that I can claim the Lemon Law which I am strongly considering unless, thay come up with a solution. The bad thing is that they have to log a certain number of complaints before they will do something about it!
    After re-reading your posts, I am thinking that one of your coils may be arcing around the base near the sparkplug.

Also, perhaps the shape of the insulators on your new sparkplugs is not "sealing well" on the ends of the coils.

Pull each of the coils off and look for carbon-traces. Perhaps even hand-fit one of the sparkplugs to a coil to see how well the seal fits.

Thoroughly wipe clean the plug insulators and coils with IPA (IsoPropal Alchoal) incase there is some kind of conductive coating you cannot see.
    Bpeebles, I haven't had any experience with this type of ignition system until I bought 06 Dak. Perhaps I am still stuck in the old days but don't really like the coil on plug system.
    Has there been much of an issue with arcing/misifring etc?
    Haven't noticed many problems posted on the forums but really curious about the system.
    What has been your experience with this type ignition?

DustyK, You can weigh in on this question also.
  • I now have 2 of my 4 power windows on my quad cab quit. It turns out there is a little plastic piece that has broken. The dealer says that I need the entire window regulator assembly at over $300 each. Any suggestions on alternatives.

I've heard of this problem before from my mechanic and I really don't want to go to a wrecker when I'm not sure of how much life will be left in the part.
    I have been following the 4.7L engine since it was first introduced on the 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee. I have a 2000 Dak that is the very first year the Dak had the 4.7L.

The COP (Coil On Plug) system on the 4.7L has been VERY reliable. Yours is the very first time I have heard of any issues at all. (And I am still not convinced that yours is an issue with COP system)

This technology is another step in the evilution of the ignition system. (I used to change points and condensers!!)
    The COP system eliminates another weear-item from the ignition system (High-voltage ignition wires). It also allows the onboard computer to INDIVIDUALLY CONTROL the spark timing of each cylinder. Sparkplugs last about 50,000 miles too.

You may not realize that the 3.7L v6 is just the 4.7L with 2 cylinders lopped off. This means that the same design of COP is used across the DC (Damlier Chrysler) line of automobiles.

Most other automakers also use a COP ignition system.

=============
    Your concerns remind me of a guy I knew that purchased a "special edition" Chevy Camaro back in the 80s with fuel-injection (before fuel-injection was widely used) Although he had no problems with it, he stripped off all the fuel-injection and installed a carberator..... about 5,000 miles later, the engine siezed up! (He had it tuned too lean)

If you look back further in automotive history, People were also skeptical of electric starters, automatic chokes and many other technologal changes. (Yes, I know people that replaced automatic chokes with a manual one...but I was not around when electric starters were introduced)
    Thanks for the reply,bpeebles. Perhaps I should have phrased my concerns a bit differently than saying I don't like the COP system. More like being skeptical of things that you have had no experience with.

I see where this system would be better than previous ignition systems, especially since I too came up in the points/condenser days.

I knew I had seen very few problems on any of the forums dealing with this system so was looking for your input as I know you are very knowledgeable about automotive technology.

Thanks for the reply,
  • bookittybookitty Posts: 1,303
    Bruce, and how about drivers who haven't as yet accepted automatic transmissions?

Bookitty
    Now,Now, Bookitty...I got over the manual transmission bit in my 30's when I got lazy!! :P (Right after I got a government job!
This discussion has been closed.