Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dodge Dakota: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• It must be the flasher cause all the lights are working correctly. None burnt out.
  • I have an '01 4.7L Quad Cab 4x4. The key fob and door switches won't actuate the door locks or alarm system. PW work. Emergency flashers and turn signals work but dash lights and head/tail lights don't. Radio works but not with column controls. Idiot light on dashboard shows "Check 4WD". Engine, brakes and steering are fine. Any ideas????
  • had to replace a/c clutch assembly. $240 from dealer
  • tiiitiii Posts: 1
    First make sure it is the clutch bearing. If the noise stops when the engine is running and A/C is on, it is the clutch bearing. If not, it's something else. I was able to replace the bearing on my '98 Dakota. With engine off, turn key on and A/C on, and take off front nut. Turn key off and pry outer plate off. Next is a snapring to remove clutch rotor (part whre belt rides). As I remember, bearing is inside rotor, and I think held on with another snapring. Bearing I purchased was Nachi 35BG05S10G2DST2, got it from local industrial bearing/belting/hose supplier.
  • bpeeblesbpeebles Posts: 4,083
    BRAVO to you!! I like to hear when folks are able to go outside the "auto world" to fix somthing.

When it comes to bearings... all the automakers just select bearings out of a book. There is nothing "special" about the bearings besides the specs. selected out of the bearing book.

I often use local indristral bearing supplier when I need bearings. I just take in the bearing to be replaced, they measure it with a verniar caliper and usually have several "options" like "how many balls?" and "what kind of seals?". I rebuilt an out-of-production Itialian minibike (Benelli) and all the engine bearings and wheel bearings were in-stock items at indrustial-supplier.
  • I have a 2001 Dakota SLT Quad cab, 4.7L auto and I'm having the same problem at 68,000 mi. I'm wondering if anyone ever helped you with your problem. I couldn't find the answer. In another forum, I found someone mentioned a Timer Control Module for a similar problem in a 2002 Dakota 4X4. Please let me know what you found out. Thanks Dakotason.
  • dewaltdakota - thanks; that explains it.

The 3/36 bumper to bumper warranty has ended and the 7/70 powertrain warranty is currently applicable.

dataguru
  • Hi Dusty,

If I recall, I believe the glovebox decal indicated Corporate 9.25 inch. I will double check.

thanks
    dataguru
  • Hi Bruce,

Good point; I will do a bolt count to compare with the glovebox information to confirm and report.

thanks
    dataguru
  • Thermostat and blower working OK, but no heat. Heating is OK otherwise. Can anyone suggest how to fix?
  • I want to change the Dino fluid in my Dakota to synthetic. I see in the manual, I have and 06, that it already has synthetic in the rear differential. I was underneath the Dakota yesterday and looked for the drain and refill plug on the front differential and could not find it. Does anyone know where the drain and refill plugs are for the transfer case and the front differential. I would really appreciate your help!!
    I am not certain about the 2006... but in past years, the differentials have no drain plugs. There were 2 choices.

*)Pull the cover to drain it. (which is messy and makes an otherwise simple task a hassle)
    *) Use oil-sucker to suck the (warmed) fluid out of the rubber fill plug.

The FRONT differential poses even more of a hassle due to limited clearance to access the fill-plug. A secret is to use the vent hose (comes up near the battery) as a 'funnel' to fill it.
  • Thank you for your help bpeebles!! What are they thinking of, obviously with the the set up there is, no drain plugs, people, like me, who would other wise change the differentials fluid will just skip doing it. Are they trying to discourage changing the fluids or are they just cheap and want to save a buck or two by not installing drain and refill plugs?
  • 5.5 is enough for me, and i keep the rest handy jic.
    The 4.7L is a "slow drainer" due to the hollow camshafts which are used to supply oil to the lobes and valvetrain components.

Also, I recall where the oil on my dipstick was when brand-spanking new right off the delivery-truck to the dealership.
    If a 4.7L engine has been sitting for any length of time, the oil on the dipstick will show ABOVE the full mark. (again-- due to the hollow camshafts draining into the crankcase)

If properly drained. (at least 30-40 minutes of dripping hot oil) The 4.7L engine will take 6 quarts of oil and be exactly right on the dipstick if checked about 5 minutes after turining off engine.
  • dustykdustyk Posts: 2,931
    Differential drain plugs were eliminated by most auto and light duty truck manufacturers a long time ago. Yes, there is a cost savings but even in today's economy it is not a sum that represents an overwhelming consideration.

The more primary reason it is not found on most light duty vehicles is to force removal of the differential cover to encourage inspection of the differential components and a check for the presence of foreign material. When drain plugs are found on differentials, gear inspection is far less likely to be performed.

As an aside, the 9.25 axle assembly was standard on 4x2 Dakotas over a certain GVW (6000 pounds, I think). It was standard on Club Cab Sport Plus 4x2 versions in 2003. I have one.

Best regards,
  • Dusty,

I doubled checked the glove-box and have confirmed the LSD rear-end differential is a Corporate 9.25 inch version.

dataguru
  • Bruce,

I have confirmed a count of 12 bolts on the cover of the LSD rear-end differential and info printed on the decal in the glove-box indicates this one to be a Corporate 9.25 inch version. This one is a 2WD model built/assembled in May 2003.

dataguru
    (dataguru) Thanks for the info. (That is why you are the dataguru ;-)

I guess I have yet to figure out the "algorythim" which the factory used to determine when they installed the 8.25 -or- 9.25 rear axle. Perhaps it is based on engine/xmission options?
  • Bruce,

Yes, not sure what the configuration rules are. Perhaps engine/transmission combinations or a variety of other reasons...one, as Dusty alluded to having perhaps something to do with the GVW rating or towing capabilities of the vehicle or something like that?? or simply just using up the inventory stock of what's on hand at the time of assembly, perhaps?

Ohhh, my moniker...bestowed upon me by a colleague from years working in the IT data management field.

dataguru
This discussion has been closed.