Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2009 BMW 3-Series

Comments

• roadburnerroadburner Posts: 6,850
    We all were hoping you'd buy an Infiniti...

2009 328i / 2004 X3 2.5/ 1995 318ti Club Sport/ 1975 2002A/ 2007 Mazdaspeed 3/ 1999 Wrangler/ 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica

• Not only will you get a price significantly under MSRP, but you'll get great 0.9% financing and you won't have to bare the brunt of a significant price hike for practically no benefit...

...and you'll also get a car already a year old...

I dunno, seems like you would be more pleased with an Infiniti, given all the shortcomings you seem to have with the BMW.
    Z
  • kdshapirokdshapiro Posts: 5,751
    You are basing an observation on a sample size of one? :confuse No doubt some BMWs have some problems, but so does Lexus, Infiniti and Acura. Nothing worse than believing you bought into a reliable brand only to find your car is a lemon.
  • When I'm ready, I'll have to look at the 328i wagon (and likely the Audi wagon as well).

Which Audi wagon are you looking at?
  • sunilbsunilb Posts: 407
    Most likely the A4 2.0T... though, again, I'm counting on a manual transmission being offered at some point.
  • jmarounjmaroun Posts: 150
    Regarding exterior color paint, black, white, and blue suit my asthetic
    tastes equally. I decided therefore, to base my choice on utility.
    At first I thought the optimal choice was obvious. Everyone knows that
    white absorbs less light and thus would keep interior cabin temperature cooler than black. Alas, a white 08 335i sedan was unavailable in my favorite configuration: manual with sports package. A case of bad luck. I was forced to choose the very opposite color. Black!

After some thought however, I've realized my luck wasn't as bad as I'd thought. Especially considering that a 335i's engine has a known tendency to run a "little" on the hot side. A black car, better than any other color, should actually help dissipate the most engine heat. This is due to black's inherently superior infrared conductivity.

Interior cabin temperature is merely transient..that is AC climate control corrects it in a matter of seconds no matter what color your car is. Hot black sheet metal will dissipate heat absorbed from the sun, when moving air pass over it, faster than white or silver sheet metal. Heat from a running or recently turned off engine, far out weighs solar power that shines on a car. Therefore.. it probably is better to have a black car if one's interest is help keep its engine coolest. An engine that runs cooler not only performs better, but in the long haul will be more reliable.

Of course this is just speculative reason and I have no idea how significant a car's color would have on the net temperature of a running, or recently idle, engine. I suppose if one had access to a data-base of automobile over-heating reports, one could check to see if black cars fared better than say silver or white cars. That would be strong evidence supporting my above speculations.

Empirical evidence on this would be interesting. If anyone knows of any, please share. Especially regarding the 335i.

Joseph
    San Diego
    Fascinating.

2009 328i / 2004 X3 2.5/ 1995 318ti Club Sport/ 1975 2002A/ 2007 Mazdaspeed 3/ 1999 Wrangler/ 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica

This would be analagous to the conversation of "should I turn my pc off when not in use or leave it on 24x7".

My own observation, which is matched by physical measurement is that lighter color cars tend to absorb less heat in the interior as the material reflects more than dark colors. However, we all could be wrong. :sick
  • fedlawmanfedlawman Posts: 3,118
    I wrapped my M3 in tin foil (shiny side up) and it lowered the cabin air temp by 6 degrees!

A side benefit is that I never have to wash or wax my car, and in the summer, I can bake cookies on the hood!
    You're being green by using sun energy to cook. LMAO!
    Hey, quit joking around!
    Some of us hard-core drivers need to know which color is fastest- even if we never drive our cars over 80!

• laurasdadalaurasdada Posts: 2,720
    Please, everyone knows you choose a car color to match your eyes! Hard to find cars painted bloodshot, however... :shades:

After owning a series of white and silver (and variations) cars, I went with a darker blue on my current ride. Hot or cold isn't important to me. The fact it simply shows dirt and imperfections more is what is driving me insane! Zaino, of course, helps. But I will lighten it a shade or two for my next ride... I shan't own a black car...

Still like a good white, though...

'13 Jaguar XF, '11 BMW 535xi, '02 Lexus RX300

http://www.newton.dep.anl.gov/askasci/eng99/eng99494.htm

It seems this assumption is wrong:
    "This is due to black's inherently superior infrared conductivity."

I stand corrected. All the more reason to hope bmw fixed the
    335i's over-heating issues then.

fingers crossed.

Joseph
    San Diego
    -------------------------------
    white absorbs less light and thus would keep interior cabin temperature cooler than black. Alas, a white 08 335i sedan was unavailable in my favorite configuration: manual with sports package. A case of bad luck. I was forced to choose the very opposite color. Black!

After some thought however, I've realized my luck wasn't as bad as I'd thought. Especially considering that a 335i's engine has a known tendency to run a "little" on the hot side. A black car, better than any other color, should actually help dissipate the most engine heat. This is due to black's inherently superior infrared conductivity.

Interior cabin temperature is merely transient..that is AC climate control corrects it in a matter of seconds no matter what color your car is. Hot black sheet metal will dissipate heat absorbed from the sun, when moving air pass over it, faster than white or silver sheet metal. Heat from a running or recently turned off engine, far out weighs solar power that shines on a car. Therefore.. it probably is better to have a black car if one's interest is help keep its engine coolest. An engine that runs cooler not only performs better, but in the long haul will be more reliable.

Of course this is just speculative reason and I have no idea how significant a car's color would have on the net temperature of a running, or recently idle, engine. I suppose if one had access to a data-base of automobile over-heating reports, one could check to see if black cars fared better than say silver or white cars. That would be strong evidence supporting my above speculations.

Empirical evidence on this would be interesting. If anyone knows of any, please share. Especially regarding the 335i.
    I shan't own a black car...

My driveway is a 2500' gravel farm road. When I had my black M6 I think it was clean for maybe 30 minutes over the three years I had it.

What over heating are you referring to? The only reference I've been able to find to 2009 BMW overheating issues is from a poster named jmaroun in townhall.edmunds.com. The only reference in all of internet-land.

It is true a minority of BMWs may have suffered mechanical issues, but all manufacturers have this. Want a bullet proof car, don't buy one.
  • shiposhipo Posts: 9,152
    I'm thinking that you should save your breath, many of us have been suggesting to jmaroun that he'd be much-much happier with a Lexus with aftermarket 22" wheels and rubber band tires, but he seems insistent on becoming an unhappy 335i owner. I mean, come on, he's already complaining about mechanical issues and he doesn't even have a car yet. Go figure.

Best regards,
    Shipo
    As an engineer, I'm fully aware that no machine is perfect. Every design has
    its weakness. Some may reason to dismiss the concept of reliability as an idealistic and unlrealizable goal. To strive for reliability is a choice. It's clear that some manufacturers place a higher priority on the issue than others.

Anyway, for the nobs here who cant seem to google search; here are some links as reference to the over-heat and fuel pump issue on the 335i. Some of which date quite recently. And there are many more sites.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?s=c94747c5d1191149ce9be8d95cd380- - - 90&t=196046&page=28
    http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/coupes/112_0708_infiniti_g37_bmw_335/test_dr- - - ive.html
    "Munich: we have a problem." lol
    http://www.topix.com/forum/autos/bmw-335i/TCKF8H96BBC5NS6LO/p2#lastPost

I've taken all these reports, and many more, into consideration and STILL am very happy to purchase a 08 335i..which will be my second BMW!

Joseph
    San Diego

------------------------
    http://www.newton.dep.anl.gov/askasci/eng99/eng99494.htm

It seems this assumption is wrong:
    "This is due to black's inherently superior infrared conductivity."

I stand corrected. All the more reason to hope bmw fixed the
    335i's over-heating issues then.

fingers crossed.

Joseph
    San Diego
    -------------------------------

You are taking hearsay and turning into fact, which makes me believe you are not really an engineer.
    As an engineer

I never would have guessed... :P
    An EE, I'd bet.

• circlewcirclew Posts: 8,398
    I could swear the police do not see my black 330xi!

Regards,
    OW
    In the past 20 years I've received two tickets- both for speeding. In 1990 I got tagged by an Indiana State Police airplane(18 over, I think), while in 1997 I got popped for 28 over by the Kentucky State Police. In both cases I wasn't paying attention to my electronic countermeasures and my situational awareness was extremely low. I was driving a red BMW both times, which probably moved me up the food chain, but I still allowed myself to be caught. In contrast, I can get away with murder in my wife's Flamenco Red(AKA maroon) X3 and my blue-gray Mazdaspeed.

• jlbljlbl Posts: 1,333
    I got tagged by an Indiana State Police airplane

To draw attention from a predator, I think color is important but movement speed is even more important. :(

Regards,
    Jose
  • carnaughtcarnaught Posts: 1,610
    Are we discussing the '09 BMW 3 Series here? (LOL)
  • jaggjagg Posts: 21
    I wish we could talk about the 09s. I have a 2006 coming off lease in Nov and i need to decide whether to wait for an 09 335 sedan or take an existing 2008.
    Mid Septemeber, I went through your situation and turned in an 06 330 sedan lease to buy an 08 335i sedan!

I purchased an 08 335i sedan manual with Sports Pacakge and BMW assist.
    The 335 is more fun than the 06 330, I'll tell you that for sure.

MSRP on the 08 335i above was $42,500 including destination. I bought it for $40,160 (not including tax, registration, and $50 doc fee), zero down at 0.9% 5 year finance.

MSRP for an 09 335 equipped like above (note, logic 7 is an extra now) is $44,700.
    0.9% financing is probably not available for the 09 and most likely you'll probably have to pay near MSRP for an 09 where as I saved more than 2k off MSRP for the 08.

Note: What that means is that, realistically, you'll likely pay about $3k more for an 09 for the same car. And that's NOT including the extra costs associated with a higher finance rate.

Some other things to consider besides the significant extra $$ for an 09 are:
    - 09 Sports Package forces you to get glossy shadow line trim instead of aluminum trim (around the windows)..I personally think the aluminum looks better..especially if you're getting a black exterior.
    - 09 sedan, Sports Package wheel rims are the same as coupe. I personall like the 08 sedan rims (with Sports Package).
    - 09 logic 7 costs extra where it's standard for the 08
    - 09 performance/driving experience = 08

Obviously, right now it will be hard to find an 08 that matches your exact preferences. You may need to compromise or..if you're insistant on particulars, get the 09.

Lastly, I'd urge you to look into the new 09 S4 comming out THIS month!
    It will come super charged. I'd hold out for reviews before making your final choice as the S4 will weigh more than the 335i (not sure by how much) and this may hinder its driving experience.

Good Luck,

Joseph
    San Diego
    And don't forget the Audi will probably be more than $10K more than the Bimmer.
    interesting comparison here,

http://www.truedelta.com/comparisons1/A4-S4-vs-3-Series-price-comparison.php?ses- sion_code=&aff=

not sure the delta between a4 and s4 but interesting non-the-less.

Joseph
    San Diego
    Interesting. Real world, the S4 will probably be $10K more than the Bimmer.
    Interesting. Real world, the S4 will probably be $10K more than the Bimmer. The trap is always trying to compare feature for feature and assiging a dollar value. This always fails in these types of charts.

My speced out 2009 Bimmer costs between 42 and 43. The S4 about 53.
This discussion has been closed.