Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dodge Dakota Accessories and Modifications

bonnie_rickbonnie_rick Posts: 115
edited June 1 in Dodge
etc. have you found necessary/helpful for your
vehicle?

Bonnie Rick
Conferences Manager, Town Hall
Edmunds.com

Comments

• resqmanresqman Posts: 71
    Without fender flares the truck just looks naked.

Spoke with a Club Cab owner last evening and he said the flender flairs kept a lot of road grime off the truck. He had installed the R/T lowering kit and wide tires.

My flares were supposed to be here last week. Still waiting.....
  • colbatescolbates Posts: 37
    A bed liner of some sort. 2nd day of having my vehicle I put a couple sheets of plywood and the next day a cooler. Instant scratches. Not a problem though, truck was schedualed to have a Rhino liner installed the following week. I love it. 3K miles later and two camping/fishing trips and no scratches, and so far easy to maintain/clean. I've heard horror stories of not being able to repair spray in liners, but the owner of the company that sold me the Rhino Liner told me he would do free repairs as long as I owned the vehicle.

Another must have for me since I like to camp and fish I needed a boat rack for my canoe. I don't want a permanent luggage rack type so my options were limited. Of Yakima and Thule only Yakima currently offers a removeable solution. I also found impressive solutions at www.bedrack.com and www.rackwarehouse.com. However, I chose the following a removable Yakima half-rack to go over the rear passenger doors, and a Fulton Canoe caddy (T-bar that mounts to the trailer ball mount on the rear bumper). The Fulton Canoe Caddy is available at www.cabelas.com. Too soon to tell if the canoe caddy is the solution for me, but it looks good and the whole system (Yakima and caddy) was just over $200.

I have Smittybuilt Sure Step bars on order. I'm also considering getting a Safari Bar for the front, Window vent visors, and the door sill guards. I'm also looking for some mud and snow floor mats that I like the looks of. (I don't like the looks of the Husky liners)
  • jpwoodrowjpwoodrow Posts: 7
    We get a lot of them here in the Northeast, especially at night. I installed some Lund stainless steel grill and bumper inserts last week. They do a great job keeping bugs and stones out of the radiator, and they look good too.
  • Resent additions:
    K&N replacement filter, notice improvement in high end response.

Wagner Xenon bright lights headlight bulbs - the only thing that Dodge needs from Daimler is some headlight technology. Dodge is concistantly slammed for their lights. As a long time MOPAR owner this is true.

Mud Flaps - even with the factory flares dirt still all up the sides. Rear, are regular rectangular truck type with anti-sail bars - gotta keep the trailer clean. Front small rubber standard flares.

Locking rack for HI - Lift jack, don't leave home without it!
  • david150david150 Posts: 5
    Just got a '00 Dakota. Should I get a drop in liner or a spray in and cap or no cap? Opinions/suggestions? Thanks.
  • bookittybookitty Posts: 1,303
    David, I have a drop in Tuffliner in my Quad, as it has slots that allow me to divide the bed into 3 sections using 2X12 boards. I purchased the liner on Route 130 in Burlington, NJ at the truck shop there. I also have an A.R.E. tonneau cover made from fiberglass and color matched. But David, you must choose what works best and suits your particular needs and budget. A.R.E. also offers a $20.00 coupon on their web site.

Bookitty
    Depends on how you plan on using your truck.

A drop in liner will distribute weight and blows from dropped firewood, cinder blocks, engines, other heavy loads thereby reducing or eleveating dents in the bed. The drawback is that they do shimie and shake in the bed causing abraision rubs on the paint. Water, sand, dirt can and does get between the liner and the bed agravating the abrasion factor.

A spray on liner becomes the top layer of the truck and is not removable. It is easy to wash, reduces load sliding and provides some protection against dents from heavy loads. You can still use all the built in features of the bed like the slots to stop load shifting and for load supporting across the wheel wells. Available in a variety of colors but the manufacuters tend to stear you toward basic black since the other colors may fade and are not always a true match to your truck color.

Cap vs. No Cap Depends on the size of the loads you plan on carrying and if you need lockable space. No cap and a locking truck tool box would still provide a "locking trunk" but leave the bed available for hauling. A cap provides a weather proof covered area that can be locked. Available with all sorts of ammenities like flossing (carpeting), lights, sliding windows, hinged windows, screens, etc. Caps can be removed. Typically only require four C clamps. Caps weigh about 150 lbs so require two people to lift, not because of the weight but the bulky size.

Bed height covers are available in both soft and hard style. Depending on how accessible and style you like.
  • tpmillertpmiller Posts: 45
    Friend rigged up a simple overhead pully system in his garage and was able to place/remove cap singlehandidly.
    I have received a lot of compliments on the "BedRug" I installed, which I critiqued in one of the Dak posts about a month ago. Overall, find it to be a nice compromise between spray or drop-in liner.
    Looked at the Bedrug product. Had them send me a sample in the mail. Looked like it would hold up to abuse and provide significant comfort. I was leary about having to vacum my cargo area. I did think it would be nice for camping.

How has yours held up? Does it require much cleaning to keep it looking nice? How do the tie downs work? Do they stick thru or bolt over top the bedrug? How does the Bedrug end at the top of the tailgate? Do you have a tailgate rail? Does the rug fit over or under the tailgate rail?
  • david150david150 Posts: 5
    You guys are the best! I am starting to get a better picture of what I am going to get. Thanks for the suggestions.
  • newquadnewquad Posts: 33
    Check out the project vehicle (site commander) under the cap company ARE's website. Very cool. I am thinking of having one of those retractable truck beds for my two dog crates I carry. My one reluctance was to get a cap for the truck, and have to climb and clamber in it to get both dogs (German Shepherds) and crates in there. Sounds like a great idea to have a "slide out" bed.

Also, for those who transport dogs in the back of a truck with a cap, does the air conditioning reach them with the sliding window on both the cap and truck?? Just wondering what kind of window arrangement I need for maximum ventilation especially in hot weather.
  • gbilhimergbilhimer Posts: 53
    I got a Line-X spray in for my Quad. I had a Ford with a drop in liner and hated it. My dad has a ext. cab Dakota with the Bedrug and a fiberglass cover. I must say it is nice and would be my choice if I was going to cover the bed with a cover or shell. I haul dirtbikes in my bed so the Line-X was a good choice for my situation. I guess it all just depends on your planned truck useage. By the way the spray in cost me $350
  • tpmillertpmiller Posts: 45
    Cleans out with a hose. Comes in 2 peices, sides and front, zipped together with bottom and tailgate. One sided tape, velcro. Fit is good,under rail, does not go over top of gate. I removed the tie downs, cut out rug with utility knife and replaced. The way the tiedowns are situated, the rear cuts come close to the zipper, took maybe an hour for install. The only real fault is the zipper head (zipper is on underside),which I taped up to prevent scratches to the bed. Eventually will be putting tonneau on, but not necessary. I like it.
  • I have an A.R.E. cap with the "flipper" side windows and a sliding front window. With the side windows and front slider open I've been told by one of my men that the a/c reaches all the way to the rear. And that is in central Texas so I'm confident that it will work just as well for dogs, my two didn't seem to mind a recent trip to San Angelo and back. They usually let me know if they are not happy.
  • I just recently purchased a Dakota X-cab. I'm looking to get an over-the-rail Line-X liner. My question is: does the over-the-rail liner prevent me from putting a cap on at some point in the future?

The Line-X dealer said he didn't THINK it would be a problem, but he wasn't too convincing.

Any first hand knowledge or experience would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Joe
  • I have an over the rail Diamond Liner along with my A.R.E. cap and they work well together. Your cap should be installed with a sealer tape between it and the bed rail and if the Line-X has a relatively smooth finish like the Diamond Liner you shouldn't have any sealing problems. One of the benefits with the over the rail is that the tailgate is protected from the lift door of the cap rubbing against it.
  • steve234steve234 Posts: 460
    If you run with both sliders open to let the a/c get back to the dogs, check with the cap dealer or an RV dealer for a pass through seal. They make a foam seal that fits between the vehicle and cap to make an efficient arrangement. You can also place a 12v fan in the opening to maximize the cooling effct, but it doesn't get that hot in SF.
  • Does anyone have an aftermarket source for same-color (Patriot Blue) side molding for a 2000 Club cab?

Thanks in advance,

Joe
  • newquadnewquad Posts: 33
    Thanks all for the advice on caps and dogs. I am planning on getting the ARE CX model with the 1/4 sliders and front sliding window. The cap dealer said he spoke with a vet and she said that the 1/4 sliders are plenty ventilation for the dogs. And I plan on using the inflatable thingy or foam thingy between the cap and truck on those really hot days (I travel to Livermore with the dogs, and it gets hot out there in the summer).
    Thanks again!
    Susan
  • wbournewbourne Posts: 2
    Does anyone know if it is possible to mount tow hooks on a '00' Dakota. They come in handy for clearing brush and fallen trees.
This discussion has been closed.