Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dodge Dakota Accessories and Modifications

Comments

• iowabigguyiowabigguy Posts: 552
    COMPETITION/PLUS SHIFTER for DODGE DAKOTA
    The traditional Hurst Competition/Plus Shifter is now available for Dodge Dakota V8 pick-up
    trucks equipped with the New Venture 3500 series 5-speed transmission and is designed to
    provide a more positive and secure feel when shifting. This shifter incorporates a high
    ratio pivot mechanism for approximately 30% reduced knob travel resulting in shorter,
    quicker shifts. Patented adjustable bias spring loads allow stick tension to be tailored for
    driver’s preference, and positive gear stops prevent overshifting and internal transmission
    damage. Includes chrome plated bolt-on stick with black knob and is easily installed without
    any vehicle modifications.
    Application Part Number
    Fits 1994-2000 Dodge Dakota V8 with NV3500 transmission part number is 391 0155
  • ayrowayrow Posts: 99
    Pete,

First of all, thanks for the great description of your install.

I have two questions;

1) I have a 2001 QC with the bucket seats and the center counsel. I looks from photos that the Hurst shift knob slants closer to the seat than the factory stick. Do you think it will run into the counsel and/or make it difficult to grab as a result when in 2nd or 4th gear?

2.) Does the Hurst knob rest at a different height? In other words, does one have to reach down further to reach the shift knob?

Thank you so much.

Ayrow

http://www.ayrow.com/truck.html

• bobs5bobs5 Posts: 557
    Just got an email that the bedrug is on it's way........again.

They shipped the wrong model last time. Sent a short bed model, but I need a quad cab model, which is shorter than the short bed model.

Also recieved a call from, http://www.subcaps.com/ , that the ARE model CH cap has arrived. I will have that installed this weekend. Just placed the order last Thursday and it is here already. Less than a week from order to delivery. They said it would be 2 weeks at time of order.

Bob

• taki3taki3 Posts: 18
    The Hurst shifter stick is actually a little further away (more towards the right) than the original shifter - not quite sure why they did that....i would want it closer to the driver....

in addition, i think that the Hurst shifter stick is actually a little longer than the original - as far as the console, i dont think it would be a problem - i have the 40-/20/40 seats, and the knob is placed just above the level of the top of "20" seat.... i always have the "20" seat in the down position, and while the knob gets close, i never really have a problem shifting....

hope this helps....

Pete
  • appraiserappraiser Posts: 22
    I bought my 2000 Dakota Quad (5-sp, V-8, 2wd) a year ago and I love it! Question: I'd like to upgrade my tires and rims (I have 30,000 miles on it now). The truck came with P255/65/R15s and I want to go bigger (taller rather than wider for the most part). Does anyone know what size tires would be appropriately tough-looking on this truck? Thanks! I understand that the Dodge dealer can reprogram my computer for the new diameter.

C. Moore
  • bpeeblesbpeebles Posts: 4,085
    For those of you interested in getting more info on the HURST shifter for the Dakota...

While my wife shops... I peruse the latest truck and Mopar magizines for Dakota information. Today I found a magazine that has a complete STEP-BY STEP photo gallery about how to install the new HURST shifter into your Dakota. There is even some commentary on the "feel" of the unit.

Look for "High Performance Mopar" magazine at your local bookstore or grocerystore. Or click the following URL for an online version.

http://www.highperformancemopar.com/archives/tech/tech03_hursts.shtml
  • bobs5bobs5 Posts: 557
    Had the ARE model CH cap installed this past weekend. Looks nice. The paint match is pretty close. It looks just a teeny tiny bit darker in color than the truck. Not enough to have it repainted though.
    Bob
  • ayrowayrow Posts: 99
    Where is the best place to buy this Hurst shifter?????

I want one!!!!

Ayrow

http://www.ayrow.com/truck.html

• ford_biiford_bii Posts: 120
    2 questions:

1. Does installing the shifter void any warranties on the truck?

2. THIS IS THE MOST IMPORTANT:I have a 2001 with the center console, and with the current shifter when I place a 44 oz beverage cup in the cup holder behind the shifter, the shifter will hit the cup in 2nd gear and I have to crush it to engage 2nd properly. Does the Hurst shifter still hit the cup???

If the above answers are both 'NO', I'm going for it.
  • bluebayoubluebayou Posts: 60
    Has anybody out there used the "magnetic fuel saver" advertised in the J.C. Whitney catalog?

http://www.jcwhitney.com/product.jhtml?CATID=37028&BQ=jcw2

I remember a few years ago in college someone raving about it in their K-5 Blazer ( SB 400). I was just curious if anybody has used one. They spout off about it was proven on some EPA fuel efficiency test, but who really knows.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Blue

• mopar67mopar67 Posts: 728
    My creedo is if its sounds too good to be true, it probably is.
  • urban3urban3 Posts: 74
    I know I saw post somewhere about how to get a spare tire lock for free. I even printed out the info. But of course now I can't find it. Anyone know what I'm referring to?

What about a lock (free or not)? I can't seem to find anything at local retail auto parts stores or even online. I'm not looking in the right places. Your help please.
  • ahasherahasher Posts: 236
    is at www.sparetirelock.com.. I called them based on other recommendations from this board, and the guy told me 'sorry", the "free" lock was only if a retailer ordered it, not an individual. he suggested my local truck shop order it, and then they would give the rebate to make it free. I didn't order it, But I plan on getting one, I really like the J hook design (as long as it's long enough) over other hanging locks. Good luck, and let us know how it goes..
    and ordered a lock, after I checked out the site again when I first posted your reply. The coupon to get the "free" lock was an easy to print certificate which you get to by clicking the scrolling banner. So It's didn't say retailers only, as I was told on the phone. $25 at the most and $5 shipping at the least is worth the chance to protect a $500 or so spare alloy rim and rubber.
  • taki3taki3 Posts: 18
    i bought my Hurst shifter from summitracing.com - it was 189 with shipping....carparts.com has a price matching +10% off, but they tack on about 50 bucks in shipping, so its not worth it (the absolutely worst car web site ive ever been to)....

as far as the stick hitting those tall cups, i can tell you this - ive got a 97 dakota (first year of the new style), and i always had that problem with hitting cups - with the new shifter, i have not tried the 44oz cup (maybe at lunch today) but the stick doesnt come anywhere near the medium sized cups that i normally get.....it might hit a 44oz cup in reverse though....

for comparison, the new stick comes straight up out of the shifting unit a little, and then bends towards the seats....the old stick was a straight shot coming out of the shifting unit....
  • billarfbillarf Posts: 38
    The lock from SpareTirelock.com is very well made,

priced right and works well. Do know that you will have to turn your spare over placing the finished side up OR the locks J-Bar will be to short. I have no problem with the spare finished side up as it protect the rim. Anyway, have the lock and am very pleased with it. OH, the lock comes with a plastic cap that keeps the crap out of the key hole. Bill in NY

http://www.auffarth.com/dodge.html
    upside-down.. which I think is a good idea anyway, protecting the finished side. Thanks for the confirmation that the lock works well.. I don't like ordering sight-unseen, at any cost. And the "free" makes it a good deal.
  • fvracerfvracer Posts: 13
    I purchased a lock from SpareTireLock.com and I didn't have to flip the spare to install it. My 2001 QC has the T&H package with the 16" wheels and it fit fine. The instructions need to be followed, however. The first time I attempted to install the lock where it "looked" like it should go, it was too short. After studying the instructions, I repositioned the J-bar and it fit with no problems.
  • bpeeblesbpeebles Posts: 4,085
    This might not be a good idea if you live in a winter-salted climate. The top of the spare (and every nook and cranny in the frame) get packed with salt-laden mud that causes corrosion.

One can hose off most of the frame easy enough but would have to UNLOCK, LOWER and hose off the finished side of the spare several times each winter.

I do not know about the rest of you but climbing under my truck while laying in slush in the winter to unlock the spare tire is not my idea of a good time.

Just last weekend I found some more salt-laden mud inside my rear bumper while I was washing my truck.... that stuff gets EVERYWHERE.

Good thing that lock comes with a plastic cap!
  • biglucybiglucy Posts: 140
    I spoke with the owner a while ago, who had been getting alot of complaints about QC owners with the fat tire & handling group making the j-bar to short - the dakota model the j-bar was made for was the 15inch rim and tire with less width. Get in touch with the company and tell them you want another model with a longer j-bar and you won't have to turn the tire upside down. If ya want?
This discussion has been closed.