Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Infiniti G35/G37 Seat Comfort

I have been wanting an Infiniti G35 for a loooonnnnggg time. The time has finally come and will be ready to purchase one in October. I currently drive a 2000 Honda Accord. My husband and I took a trip in my car this week and we had to stop at least every hour due to my husband's lower back pain. Anytime he drives my car for 20-30 minutes at a time, his back really starts hurting.

My question is...........how comfortable is the driver's seat of the Infiniti G35? Does anyone personally have lower back problems and drive an Infiniti G35?

I'm also trying to decide between a Coupe and a Sedan. I can probably guess a Couple will be out of the question for my husband.

Comments

• scottm123scottm123 Posts: 1,501
    You'll need to check out both a Sport and Non-Sport model, as the seats differ in these models.

The Sport model offers adjustable side bolsters and thigh extensions, and the non-sport is a little more cozy, IMO.

I have a G35X and I love my seats.
    The wife's Acura MDX drives my legs, back and shoulders to horrible aches and pains...all which I never get while in my beloved G. :blush:
  • mnrep2mnrep2 Posts: 200
    I hate to be the bearer of bad news :cry: But we own an 05 X and I have lower back issues. I cannot take long trips in the car. I LOVE THIS CAR but it is my wifes daily driver because of this issue. I can go up to four hours if we stop so I can stretch, but this is not a good seat for my back on long trips.....
  • Yes, I do hate to hear this news but it's exactly what I'm looking for. I want to hear information "straight from the owner's mouth" so to speak. I looked at the differences between Infiniti Sedan models and the G35 Sport and G35 Sport 6MT show the following as standard but had N/A for the G35, Journey & X. I wonder if this makes a differences one way or the other.

"Front sport seats with thigh extension and driver’s power torso and thigh support"
    Also keep in mind that the seats in the 05 are NOT the same seats in the newly redesigned 07.
    Like I said, I have issues on long trips in the wife's car and the G has never given me any aches or pains.
    You'll need to sit in them yourself to see.

Actually, sit in a used 05 (which should be on any lot) and then sit in the 07 and see the differences for yourself.
  • Just curious, why would there be unused 05's??? Did they not sell or something?
    Actually, sit in a used 05 (which should be on any lot) and then sit in the 07 and see the differences for yourself.

Who said "unused" ? :confuse:
    Lots of people lease these cars and the 2 year lease is very popular.
    There's a very good chance of seeing an 05 on the lot....

Not to buy, but to compare the seats.
    mnrep2, in post # 3, said the 05 seats were not comfortable.
    I suggested comparing the 05 to the 07 since the seats are different.
    Personally, I find the 07 G seats VERY comfy, and I find myself to be very uncomfortable in almost all cars I ride in.
  • Hello, just joined after being a lurker for the last couple of weeks.

I don't have back problems as such, and don't own an Infiniti G yet (but realistically it's only a matter of time!). After doing a lot of test driving of the G35 '07 Coupe, G37 '08, G35 Sport Sedan 6MT and the X, I have to say that I thought the seats were supremely comfortable in the newest available versions of both the Sedan and Coupe when compared to the older ones. In fact, it seemed like the Infiniti offered the best support and seat adjustments of anything else I tried. Very impressive!
  • esfoadesfoad Posts: 210
    I have an '05X and have a a lifetime of back issues. I find the seats mostly comfortable but I find that I am somewhat twisted in the seat. Not sure if this is the friving position of the car or something in the way I sit. I have sat in the '07 model and I believe the seats are better, especially because the seat controls have been moved to the side of the seat from the top.
  • Sorry!!! My bad. I guess I saw "un" in front of the word "used". :blush:
  • Not sure if this is the friving position of the car

Well, that's clearly what the problem is...if it was a driving position, you wouldn't be so twisted!
    ;) ;)
    Z
  • I bought the '07 G35x after turning in my '04 G35. I was fine in the '04 but the '07 seats are extremely hard! I have to use a seat cushion or I am in constant pain in my lower back and thighs, even after I get out of the car. Bummer because I absolutely love this car otherwise.
  • cmnottcmnott Posts: 200
    I have a bad back and I must have good seats. My wife's Volvo XC90 is heaven and have driven 6 hours straight in it, no problem. I remember in 2005 driving the G35 coupe with the 19inch wheels which absolutely killed me. I am happy to report that the G37 was very comfortable with excellent seats. On top of that, whta made a huge difference if the front cushion that pulls out which allows your thighs to rest and take the pressure off your low back. Great. I drove the new G35 sedan and did not find it as comfortable with regards to my condition as the more upright sitting position pressig the clutch was not as ideal as the coupe, but still very good.
    The sedan that you just drove... was is equipped with sport seats?
    The sport seats have the same thigh extensions that you mention enjoying in the G37.
  • cmnottcmnott Posts: 200
    Yeah it was the sport...my problem has to do more with the upright seating position. The G37 you are not stepping on the clutch you are pushing it almost horizontally which , for me, is much more comfortable.
  • bg18947bg18947 Posts: 183
    I got a new 08 G35X Sport. Just got back from a 380 mile R/T journey from Northern NJ to Framingham, MA. About 3:05 each way with no stopping. I have a bad back where I can easily get a pinched nerve. I found the seats to be comfortable for the entire trip. No numbness in the legs or any where else. The driver's seat with the Sport package is nice. I had to play around with the reclining seatback to get the headrest in the right position and also to find a comfortable elbow resting position when switching L & R hands. Just took a little experimenting.

I think the bigger issue is, can you stand a firm ride? Gs are sporty and offer a firmer ride like a BMW. If you have a bad back and find that a firm ride is too much, you may want ot move up to an M which dampens better. It's also not quiet inside the cabin when the road surface gets rough, but it doesn't disturb me from enjoying the MP3s on the road. I give the G35 Sport seat a 9 out of 10 for seating comfort.
    Framingham, ay?
    I work in Framingham, so I'll keep my eye open for the new 08 X-Sport.
    Not many G's around our part yet... and that's the way I like it! ;)
  • While I don't own an G35 (I have an '05 TL), I have really wanted one ever since they came out with the redesign. I have driven a G35 journey w/ sport pkg a few times, and I must say that the seats feel great once you get the bolsters properly set and have the thigh extension out (only with "sport" pkg, I believe). The seats did not feel anywhere near as firm as my Acura seats have been either.
  • nick1958nick1958 Posts: 9
    I owned a 2004 G35 Coupe, which I absolutely loved - except that I also couldn't stand the seats for more than an hour or two, with annoying back pain. I sold it to await the G37, which I now own - only to find out that the Sport Seats caused the same problem as in the G35.

The Sport Seats are the exact same ones used in the Japanese home market Skyline (the average Japanese male is about 5'4" and 130 lbs, the average American is about 5'11" and 190 lbs. - Americans are just bigger than Japanese, and most car companies fit bigger seats here). The problem seems to be that the seat is too narrow, and the pressure, particularly in the thigh area, results in lower back pain (the G35 seats exacerbated this problem by having the seat adjustment controls immediately under your right thigh, further crimping the available space.

I drove my car on a 1500 mile trip, and started wanting to claw my way out of the seats after about 4-5 hours. It's just too confining for me.

The problem is now solved! I found a simple and elegant solution. I took the car to a custom upholstery shop (I called several, to find one that has worked on seats in high end sports cars). While they had not worked on a G37 before, they have done similar modifications on other "Sport" seats (in Porsches) to provide more room. The same solution they have used on Porsches worked perfectly on the G37S.

The G37 Sport Seat has a rigid metal brace in each thigh bolster. It is a plate, about 1 in x 6 in, with a short supporting rod on each end. It is welded to the seat frame, and holds the thigh bolsters very rigidly at a nearly upright angle. If you push down and feel around in the thigh bolster, you can feel this metal brace just under the upholstery. The adjustable thigh bolster bladders also push against these braces, making for a very tight fit - it is rock hard.

The solution was simple: remove the braces. They removed the driver's seat, took the upholstery off the bottom, and just cut off the braces. Reassembled, the seat looks exactly stock - it is now identical to the non-Sport (regular) seat bottom, but still with the inflatable thigh bolsters. There is no way of telling that anything was done. But, sitting in it is just a world of difference! Instead of the thigh bolsters being rock hard and unyielding, the thigh bolsters are now resilient and pliable, and yield to the pressure of legs and a larger body on them. The driver's seat now behaves and feels like the bottoms of the non-Sport seats. The inflatable bolster bladders still work, but are just not as rock-hard, since they are now pushing against foam and upholstery instead of fixed steel.

Driving is now a completely new experience. The seat is now actually completely comfortable, instead of just somethig to be tolerated in exchange for the rest of the benefits of the car. The back bolsters are unchanged, so one is still held in place "Sport" style, but without the confining pressure on the legs (I asked them to look into the back bolsters, but they cannot be played with because of the seat mounted side air bag).

For anyone who also feels the thigh bolsters are too confining, this is a simple and invisible solution that completely cures the problem (I wouldn't be surprised if Infiniti might start doing this in the future, if they get enough complaints about the seats). After 5000 miles with this modification, the seat looks completely stock, there has been no sagging or other degredation of the material - removing the metal braces simply turns the Sport seat bottom back into the regular seat, which to my bottom is much more comfortable.
  • loudog2loudog2 Posts: 83
    I'm going to purchased a 2008 G35x tommorrow. I test drove the sport, my a** and legs could not fit in those sport seats. I'm 6'3'' 230lbs. The dealer said that half the men that test drive the sport version don't fit. I have to settle for the wheel and tire pkg instead. I really wanted the side sills, but oh well!! A comfortable back and behind are more important.
    When I bought mine in April of 07, the Sport pack wasn't available with the X model.
    My friend at work has an 08 X Sport and I like the seats... enough that I'm now looking for a local G Sport owner who may wanna swap seats.
    I'm 6' 185 lbs and find the seats to be perfect for me, although I haven't tested them on a 1,000 drive either.