Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2008 Ford Edge

Comments

• jaxs1jaxs1 Posts: 2,697
    No mention of this option on the Ford website.
  • hardhawkhardhawk Posts: 702
    It is not available on the Edge, but is on the 2008 Expedition and F-150.
  • baggs32baggs32 Posts: 3,213
    Yes, they've already said that's how they'll do the updates.

Excellent!!!
    It is not available on the Edge, but is on the 2008 Expedition and F-150.

IIRC it is available on Mazda CX-9 too.
  • Test drove an '08 Edge Limited this past Saturday, as well as an '07 Lincoln MKX. On the Lincoln, the O/D off switch appeared to lock out 6th gear (.742 OD) only. When driving the Edge, the same switch appeared to lock out both 5th & 6th. Is anyone aware of a design difference between the controls for these two models?
  • akirbyakirby Posts: 7,690
    According to the 07 owner's manual it only locks out 6th gear on both the Edge and MKX. It is possible they changed it for 08 - the OMs aren't online yet.
  • goateegoatee Posts: 51
    Does anyone have pictures of this. I noticed it on the Ford website but it is one of the few options without any pictures,
  • hardhawkhardhawk Posts: 702
    I have learned that for 2008 Ford has changed the look of the camel interior. For 2007 the camel interior had a camel dash and steering wheel. For 2008, the dash, wheel, and the lower door panels and lower console are black. What does everyone think about that change? We have a 2008 Edge Limited in Creme Brulee with camel leather ordered and are not sure how the black dash is going to look. Comments? Has anyone seen the new camel/black interior?
    I believe this is a picture of a 2008 Limited with the camel interior. It's straight from Ford's Edge site. I like it!

• mcq1mcq1 Posts: 103
    I am considering the 08 Edge as my future vehicle. I am concerned about rear visibility seems like the rear headrests are on the way. Can someone shed light on this? thanks
  • markanmarkan Posts: 48
    I'm 6'1" and my wife is 5'5" and we both find the rear visibility acceptable; not great but OK.
    Would it help if I got the rear backup sensors? My husband is 6'2" and I am 5'4".
    So I guess it will be okay. I guess as long you can backup and pass without problems.
  • markanmarkan Posts: 48
    Backup sensors would help. The rear window seems small at first but you get used to it. The sensors would sure help with parking and "seeing" small things below the window. Passing is no problem and the side mirrors are great.
    Took an 08 Limited (White Tricoat) for an overnighter. Seems to drive nicely, one small annoyance. Where is the glove compartment light? I cannot believe Ford would omit such a small detail on a vehicle this expensive. Also the steering wheels do seem a little flimsy IMO.
  • steverstever Ex Yooper, just arrived in New MexicoPosts: 40,540
    Since SYNC is such a big feature, some of the recent posts about it have been moved to the SYNC discussion:

Ford Edge SYNC Bluetooth SiriusXM Audio Questions

That's why some of the post sequence is out of ... sync. :blush:

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Ordered my 2008 Edge Limited AWD - Ink Blue/Camel yesterday. New option available is a Cargo Cover (factory installed). This is in addition to the "Cargo Management System". Does anyone have any information about this option? Dealer knows nothing else but it will cost $115. Also, the build date and availability for this will not be until Jan.08. Thanks
    The cargo cover is usually a vinyl cover that pulls out over the cargo bay from a unit which is inserted (and can be removed) in two slots just behind the second row of seats near the top of the backrest (not the headrest). It functions much like a pull blind only you don't have to pull it again to make it retract. Two pegs fit in two slots on either side of the cargo bay near the rear hatch and are at about the level of the bottom of the hatch window.

These are nice to have if you want to hid something in the cargo bay or just keep things from bouncing up over the rear seats (balloons come to mind).
  • baggs32's description is pretty close, but the cargo cover that is made for the Edge as a Ford accessory does not utilize a "unit" that allows the cover to pull out/retract like a window shade. It is simply a flat section of form fitted vinyl that has three elastic bands that go over & around the three rear seat headrests, two plastic hooks that clip inside the plastic side cover under each rear side window, and two smaller elastic bands at the rear that slip over plastic hook anchors near the hatch which are part of the installation. Now that I've seen what it is, I would never purchase one at the price being asked by Ford. My dealer threw mine in along with the factory all-weather floor mats as negotiating incentives. It's really not worth the cost that Ford is selling it for.
    Please pay attention - this is a new factory option on the 08 models, not something from the accessory catalog.
    So is the one from the factory the same as what I described? I described the one we had with our Escape and the one available for our Explorer and just assumed it would be the same for the Edge.

What g-man described is what Ford offers on their accessories site (the real site) for $125 and does not seem anywhere near as nice as the one that retracts. I don't actually see a cargo cover as an option on the Ford build an Edge site for the 2008 model. Is it really a factory option?
    Is it true that the chrome clad wheels just have a cover over them that they are not true chrome wheels?
    Saw it on kbb.com - build an edge. Code 67C. Also confirmed this with the Ford Dealer. Option cost $115. Available early Jan, 2008. No pics available, I called the Ford customer service line and they said this would be available but could not confirm how it looked or functioned. I am thinking about the hard vinyl cover that is on the Honda CR-V. Anyways - that is how I discovered the option. If anyone has more info about this, please reply. Thanks
    OK, I found out what it is. See the '08 Edge official order guide here. This is the latest version which was updated Nov. '07.

Here's that same item at the Ford accessory site. Search for part # 7T4Z-7845440-AA (the ebony colored shade).

So it is the non-retractable, fold and store, version. That is a travesty IMO. The retractable cargo shade was really nice and this thing just screams cheap to me. Plus the retractable version used to be like $75. Now this thing is $115 and not as convenient.
    That's why they call them chrome CLAD wheels, so the answer is yes. The problem with real chrome wheels is they get really heavy and the chrome can pit or come off within a few years. The chrome clad wheels avoid those problems. Some folks like them, some don't - you'd need to look at them yourself.
    Well that really sucks. I assumed if it was a factory option that it would be just like the escape and explorer versions that you described. From the wording in the order guide it still appears to be a dealer installed option.
    I assumed if it was a factory option that it would be just like the escape and explorer versions that you described. From the wording in the order guide it still appears to be a dealer installed option.

Me too. Although I guess we shouldn't pass judgement without having used one yet. ;)

The order guide says something like "pre-installed" IIRC. I took that to mean it is a genuine accessory installed at the factory rather than at the dealer. That would probably account for the $10 difference in price if you order it from the factory rather than from he dealer or their site.
    I think in this case it means they just throw one in the truck before it leaves the factory, add it to the invoice and the dealer installs it - like the front license plate frame. From the description it sounds like it only takes about 30 seconds.
    You mean that this $115 option is nothing more than a cheap piece of heavy duty vinyl with a few hooks to hold it in place? :mad: Well what can I expect from a company that doesnt even put a glove compartment light in a $34000+ vehicle?
    But the real factory option on other vehicles is nothing more than a cheap piece of vinyl with a cheap window shade roller. Not that much difference.
  • Now that it appears we're all in agreement about what this item is, I'll add my .03¢ on actually having it installed & using it...

Install & Fit:
    The cover is constructed of a (thicker, but not exactly 'heavy-duty') vinyl material, cut to shape and hem-stitched around its perimeter. It's a "tool-less" install except for the two pilot holes that are drilled into the plastic trim near the hatch opening on the right and left sides, about level with the height of the top of the rear seats. These are used for mounting the two-pronged plastic hooks (they look like miniature versions of the ties used as mooring points on a boat dock), where the two short elastic bands on the rear of the cover attach. Once installed, the cover is then suspended over the cargo area at about seat-top level, held in place from the front (3 headrest bands), sides (trim hooks at base of each rear side window, with sewn-in weighted inserts), and the aforementioned rear hooks and bands. The cover is cut to take the shape of the top of the cargo opening (includes the inside shape of the hatch when closed), and does fit well in this regard, with minimal "flap" during travel (windows closed). Curious to see if this holds true once the elastic bands age some, and hot weather returns to soften the vinyl/elastic and back windows may be opened to allow air wash over the cover (flapping & noise?).

Use:
    Since the cover has no retracting mechanism, once in place, it can not easily be "opened" or moved out of the way to provide good access to the cargo space, other than the very back edge (no pun intended..) closest to the back lip of the opening. Without detaching any of the rear or side anchoring points (not easily done one-handed or when carrying packages), one is forced to simply bend down and reach under the cover to place or retrieve objects, and when this is done, the cover's rear side ends up just about in your face. Releasing the two rear bands off of their hooks allows about 1/3 of the cover to "droop" down to expose a bit more of the cargo area, but then is in the way of placing/picking up your parcels. This back 1/3 of the cover will not stay in place when folded up and over toward the front (at least in my vehicle), which would make it somewhat more workable. It just falls back down in the way. If you need even more access to items stored further forward toward the rear seats, you will likely need to lean in and release the two side hooks in addition to the rear ones. These two plastic hooks are attached to the cover via flat elastic bands, are "fish hook" shaped, and are not easily manuevered into/out of the small gap between the plastic cargo area trim and the glass of the rear side windows while leaning into the cargo area with your knees pressed against the car's rear (and dirty..?) bumper. They are thin plastic and don't seem very robust, and so may be suseptible to breakage if overly exerted upon during this exersize. Once these hooks are removed, the cover can then be flipped up and forward toward the rear seats (if you can reach in far enough to do this, shorter folks may have trouble here), and will stay folded over there. All of the above would then need to be done in reverse order of course to button things back up.

Overall, this item does accomplish the basic task it is designed for, that is, to keep items in the cargo area out of sight of prying eyes and maybe out of a bright sun at times, but (IMHO) would not be described as a "convenience" to use. Unknown at this time how it will hold up to continued use. Also, as stated earlier above, the cost at ~$115 does not seem to balance against the actual construction and lack of ease in using this product.
This discussion has been closed.