Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2008 Ford Edge

1235»

Comments

• thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    I suppose you could simply turn the lights on... not that that is any excuse.
  • sjbrodysjbrody Posts: 39
    That's the problem! When the lights go on (automatic) at twilight, the illumination of the speedometer changes a black-on-white display to a light green-on-white one which has no contrast. The only way to read the speedometer is to either turn the display intensity way down or way up, and even that does not work all the time. This seems to me to be a safety issue!

Spencer
  • akirbyakirby Posts: 7,699
    Never noticed that at all. Seems like turning the display intensity up would work.
  • hardhawkhardhawk Posts: 702
    Our display is as bright as it can get. For 2008 they put brushed aluminum looking guage faces on the Limited model which was a change for the 2007 SEL+ models.
    It really is very hard to read until it gets darker.
    I see what you mean - noticed it last night. Most of my dusk driving is in traffic so I'm not usually checking the speedo anyway - just following traffic.
  • cmarcuscmarcus Posts: 17
    Strangely, the Fusion has the same instrument cluster by all appearances, but with legible faces. I drove one for a month and had no problems reading the numbers. My dealer, however, says the clusters are not interchangeable. Makes sense from a gearing/readout point of view. Maybe the Edge instruments were designed by the same guy who, about 50 years ago, put an 11-hole egg tray on the door on my Frigidaire (GM) refrigerator. Go figure.
    Cubby
  • kmausskmauss Posts: 74
    I took a very short 'around the block' test drive in one of these last week. I'm not seriously car shopping yet - not until next year, but I know I want/need something in this category of vehicles. I'd be interested in hearing from people who have had them long enough to have had to drive one in bad weather --- like snow and ice type bad weather. I live in PA, which can have REALLY bad winters, so bad weather driving is a big consideration for my next vehicle.

My impressions from my very quick test drive were pretty favorable. I thought the seats were very comfy, mostly liked the interior and where things were located. The ride was very smooth, though I never had the chance to drive it more than around a residential area and that's not much of a test. I will be interested to actually take one out on the highway.

My worst impression was the "salesman." He didn't explain anything about the car, didn't even TRY to convince me to buy it. I had to be the one to stand there and prompt him with questions. :confuse: I sure won't go back to that dealership - geez! What an idiot.
    Wow - most people would KILL for a salesman like that!
  • kmausskmauss Posts: 74
    Lol - true! But there is a difference between no pressure and no information! :P
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 9,723
    yuo should have told the slaeperson you were going out on the highway and if they didn't say anything, take it as a 'yes'. ;)
    i would definitely take it on the highway. last month, i had an '07 as a loaner for a few days. it rode well on the highway, but the tires were really noisy.
  • cmarcuscmarcus Posts: 17
    I have a front-wheel drive Edge and live in the Toronto area. My driving is 90%+ urban. If I did a lot of highway driving I'd have paid the extra $2000 or so for AWD. My memories of a '98 Audi A4 Quattro tell me that one of the great advantages of AWD is the added straight-line stability at highway speeds. And the Edge AWD, from everything I've read, is superb, It shifts torque not only front to back but also side to side.

That said, I've found the front-wheel drive more than adequate in winter, provided you install four of the correct winter tires. I had to return a set of Michelin X-Ice to Michelin because they were useless on snow and slush in a bend. The front end broke loose almost without provocation. I switched to a set of then-new-model Yokohama Ice Guard G20 tires. They are outstanding! Traction and grip in all conditions are reassuring.

Remember that the Edge, like all crossovers, is high and front-heavy. It's going to understeer, whether front- or all-wheel-drive.

Cubby Marcus
    I already have all the information I need before I ever talk to the salesperson. To me they're only good for scheduling test drives and finding vehicles at other dealers.
  • Do you still like your Ford Edge?
  • Covber sweems like a good idea. Cargo Management System? Two boxes from a grocery store placed East/West and one plastic laundry basket, North/South. Still leaves room for bags and boxes between them and the rear door. Really cheap.
    Cubby
  • Anyone using the Edge to tow anything 2500-3000 lbs regularly? Specs say it can handle it but how is it in the real world???
  • I recently moved to a more rural area & the fog on my early morning (like 2:00 am) commute is horrible.

The factory fog lights really do nothing but light up... no help at all.

Wondering can I change the bulbs in the factory fog lights to something better or do I need to simply buy a new set of fog lights & bold on near the factory ones?

Thanks
  • Real fog lights have a sharp horizontal cutoff of the light at the top. They're designed to spread light over the road and not send it into the fog much above the level of the lights. That avoids illuminating the fog, which would make it almost impossible to see through. If your factory fogs don't function that way, a bulb replacement won't change them. The reflector and lens govern where the light goes. Looks like a set of real fog lights would be the solution.
    Cubby Marcus
  • goateegoatee Posts: 51
    I agree about this problem. I honestly thought there was something wrong with my IP lighting. Brought it back and had the sales manager look at it. He told me that it's the way all of them are. I would hope Ford has the common sense to correct this soon, the blue lighting on the Escape would be nice. Practically anything would be better than the present. Illegible in the late afternoon or early morning hours.
  • I just had an Edge SEL as a rental the last couple of days in AZ. The speedometer is hard to read a night. I was seriously considering buying the car, but the glare from the speedometer needle against the silver background of the number dial makes it near impossible to read at night. It is so hard on the eyes. I was very happy to get back in the old Buick when I got home. It is a simple fix. Just paint sort of speak. This dash board is just too hard to live with. I can not buy this car with the Dash this way. Recommend that everyone test drive it at night before you put your hard earned money down. I am sure glad I did.

The Edge is very nice. I really like the handling and driving position. Good drive train. The 2 wheel drive is good on fuel for an SUV. I had a Highlander the week before in Philly. The Edge is a much better car. It has personality. The Highlander is like driving an appliance. The interior materials are better in the Highlander than the Edge but not so much so that one would not buy the Edge. I would like the outside temperature readout to be available in the lower trim models in the Edge for all of us the would like to know when the road freezes.
    I have no problem reading the gauges at night but it can be difficult at twilight. It certainly wouldn't keep me from buying a vehicle I otherwise liked.
  • Have an 08 AWD LTD w/ 13k. Last weekend, smelled a burning small from car near my home. Got out, and car was smoking from underneath. Had puddle of red fluid under car next morning. It has been at the local dlr for a week now, and nobody can even tell me when they can expect a part, etc. Called Ford, same deal, but they are going to call me back on Tuesday (great customer service - not).

Anyone have any info on this situation or part availability? Thanks.
    There is a new PTU unit that is supposed to fix the problem once and for all. There could be a temporary shortage of parts but others are getting theirs repaired so it shouldn't take too long. The good news is you should only have to get it repaired once.
  • emjay1emjay1 Posts: 22
    With the 2010 Edge about to ship to my local dealerships, I'm hoping to pick up a 2008 for a steal "get it off the lot" price. There aren't many, but they do exist. I've test-driven Nissans, Toyotas and Mazdas, and the Edge is by far the best bang for the buck, IMHO. Anyone with a 2008 - are you still happy?
  • coltsfancoltsfan Posts: 13
    We bought our 2008 Edge in November, 2008 & really, really like it!! Handles great, has a great ride & lots of room. The middle seat in the back in not the greatest, but we don't use it that often. There's usually just the two of us, or us & our twin granddaughters who are still in booster seats & even with those 2 seats you can still get another butt in the middle of the back seat!! It has some fun options: power lift gate, power fold down rear seats;

I would definitely buy one again!!
  • emjay1emjay1 Posts: 22
    Thank you - great recommendation. Do you think the A/C is adequate? Altho - if you're a Colts fan, you may not live in a hot climate like here in Texas. I'm wanting one with the COOLED seats - oh, man!!

Also - I have read that the brakes are not as good as comparable crossovers from other manufacturers - have you had any braking issues?

Anyone else?
    We live in Atlanta where temps approach 100 with high humidity and we've never had a problem with cooling in the Edge. We've never had to turn it down below 72.

Braking on the 2007 models was a little long but that improved with the 08 models and Michelin tires. There is no brake problem on the 08 and later models.
  • berriberri Posts: 4,202
    What's coming down the line? When will the Edge be updated? I'm a bit disappointed that it appears Ford's new ecoboost only helps horsepower and not fuel economy. Considering this and the Highlander in a couple of years. Thanks.
    The new Explorer debuts next year - built off of the D3 platform (Taurus, Flex). It is expected to have a 2.0L Ecoboost 4 cylinder engine. I would expect the Edge to get the same engine when it's redesigned - probably in 2 years.

When Ford started ecoboost development fuel economy wasn't a big issue, so they started with the V8 replacement (3.5L ecoboost).

And it most certainly does help fuel economy if you put it up against a similar V8 producing 350+ hp. I think the ecoboost MKS actually gets better FE than the 3.7L version. Of course I understand what you mean - you'd rather see a 2.0L ecoboost providing the same power as the 3.5L/3.7L but with better FE. It's coming.
1235»
This discussion has been closed.