Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2008 Ford Edge

Comments

• Well, after further shopping, I finally found a competitive domestic CUV...
    The Saturn Vue Redline. Interior plastics are soft touch, and lightyears ahead in quality versus the ford. Switchgear is chrome metal, not coated plastic, and properly damped. In short, its the price of a Ford, but has the interior of an Audi or Lexus (well, close anyway). The manumatic 6-speed is pretty nice too. One thing it doesn't have is Sync...alas.

Still, nice to see domestic manufacturers finally doing quality interiors. Too bad Ford can't seem to get it right.
  • akirbyakirby Posts: 7,665
    I finally found a competitive domestic CUV

I wouldn't exactly call it a domestic - it's derived from the European Opel Antara. Not that it's a bad thing, but most of the credit goes to Opel.
  • baggs32baggs32 Posts: 3,210
    It's also the Redline trim which is a big upgrade, and price difference, from the everyman Vue. Ford just announced the '09 Edge Sport which too has an upgraded interior with real aluminum bits around the cabin. That's the Edge I'm still watching now.
  • dgp13dgp13 Posts: 3
    ... and if so, which ones? I have been advised to avoid them altogether, regardless of the vehicle. Would appreciate some advice. DGP
  • akirbyakirby Posts: 7,665
    I personally don't buy them - ever. Over the long term (at least 4 or 5 vehicles) the odds are in your favor IF you can afford to pay for a big repair out of pocket. If you consider that most warranties are around $1500, that's $6K for 4 vehicles. What are the odds that you'll spend that much on 4 vehicles? Remember that the ext. warranty only kicks in after the factory warranty so you have a short window to use it - anything prior to that is covered by the factory warranty and anything after it is yours to fix anyway.

The one exception that I make is if the buyer can't afford a large repair bill and wants to finance the warranty in with the car so they're only paying a few dollars per month.

If you do get one make sure it's a factory warranty (Ford ESP e.g.) - 3rd party warrantys are notorious for problems.
  • dgp13dgp13 Posts: 3
    Many thanks for the information -- your note confirmed what I have heard previously. DGP
  • hardhawkhardhawk Posts: 702
    I flew up to Chicago last week for the Auto Show. They had the 2009 Edge Sport. It looked very nice on the outside. Could not get into it as it was on an elevated display stand. The exterior bits are available now from Ford accessories for those who want to put the lower cladding on to cover the current black. I lover the new blue color as well. It was very sharp.
  • baggs32baggs32 Posts: 3,210
    The exterior bits are available now from Ford accessories for those who want to put the lower cladding on to cover the current black.

Correct. However I'm betting they will be much cheaper from the factory.
  • hardhawkhardhawk Posts: 702
    No doubt. And already painted to match and installed!
  • I am interested in an 08 Ford Edge as my next vehicle.

I am curious why the side roof rails are not available with the vista panoramic roof.

Is it a weight issue, or does it have to do with the opening and closing of the roof?

Going skiing and putting skis on top of the ski rack is a major reason why I'm interested in an AWD crossover and it seems silly to me that Ford would create such a design incompatibility.

I'm 6'3" and have always found that a moon roof takes away just enough inches to make me not fit in a car so I'm ok with not getting the vista roof.
  • You may also be eligible for a similar supplier discount with GM.

I sat in the back of the Acadia with captains seats and it seemed quite roomy (I'm 6'3"). I too considered the Acadia but I'm leaning to the Edge for the following reasons:

1) Comparably equipped Acadia is much pricier (event though it has the 3rd row)
    2) I was scared by the quality issues regarding the Acadia discussed on the Acadia forum
    3) Lack of meaningful incentives by GM (paltry $500 cash back)

If your son's 15 won't he be driving soon? Maybe it's time to consider getting him his own set of wheels so he won't have to sit in the backseat anymore :-) ?
  • mtnman1mtnman1 Westerville, OhioPosts: 382
    You can't have the side rails because of the Vista Roof. Won't work.
  • mtnman1mtnman1 Westerville, OhioPosts: 382
    My Son will be by law allowed to drive, but I don't plan on really letting him drive much before he's 17. I plan on giving him my '03 Sonata at the end of the next School year. Also, he will have to pay for insurance, gas, and maintenance himself which will require a job. He is a Varsity letter man in two sports, so I don't know how he is going to be able to work much plus be able to maintain his GPA of 4.175. It still won't address the times we travel together on trips to Pittsburgh or to Myrtle Beach. I do get a discount through my employer for GM as well, but I've pretty much decided to keep our Mountaineer a few more years. That is if the price of filling the thing up so often doesn't bankrupt me first.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    My folks couldn't wait for me to turn 16 and get my license. They paid my gas and insurance so I could keep my grades up (through high school, graduated #1 of 156 and got a scholarship worth much more than the gas and insurance they paid those two years), and drive to all the band practices without them having to haul me around.

Of course, I've never abused the priveledge, either. No tickets (never even been pulled over for a violation), and I've never been at fault in the accidents I've been involved in (rear-ended twice, clipped once, and run into a guardrail).
    I'm looking for input on a couple of things, and welcome it all.

First off, my parents are doing the shopping. They have a Civic, and want a second, bigger vehicle for highway trips. Their priorities are:

Comfort - Smooth Ride, Roomy and Comfortable Seating

Power - This vehicle will be the trip car, used at 70 + MPH and they want plenty of oomph for passing, although they don't have a problem with the Civic (140hp) in this regard they'd like more.

Price - Lux features for under $28k.

Any thoughts on how the ride of the Edge is compared to others in the class? Compared to other sedans? I have an Accord; I'd assume Edge rides smoother than that? I'd LOVE input from people who have both a sedan and an Edge on the noticeable driving differences (besides size).

I'd also love to hear from people who compared the Edge to a Taurus or Taurus X (my folks are really interested in the Taurus Sedan as well).

Thanks for any input!
  • markanmarkan Posts: 48
    We bought an 07 Edge after comparing it against all major competitors. We also looked at a Freestyle, now called Taurus X, but preferred the style of the Edge. In response to your questions: Comfort - Most comfortable vehicle we have owned, great seats, smooth ride, plenty of room. Power - Excellent performance, plenty of power in all types of driving, the 3.5 engine and 6 speed are a great combination. Price - You should be able to find what you want in your price range unless you want to load it up.

All in all we love our Edge. It is without a doubt the best vehicle we have owned and it's fun to drive.
    Thanks for the report... You may not remember, but how would you compare the ride of the Edge to that of the Taurus X?

Nice rave review! :) Keep 'em coming folks!
  • markanmarkan Posts: 48
    Both have a very comfortable ride but the seats are much better in the Edge. While not a "sports" CUV the Edge has a nice balance of comfort and sporty feel. The Taurus X seemed more sedan - like.
  • mschmalmschmal Posts: 1,757
    Not new unless you are looking at an SE. ICK

Mark
    You've got to be kidding, and Edge SEL has an MSRP of around $28k ($27,560) and nobody will pay MSRP for a Ford. Invoice on an SEL is $26,428.
This discussion has been closed.