Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dodge Dakota Steering Questions

• bob611bob611 Posts: 1
    I have the same problem with power steering.
    Has any one come up with any possible solutions
  • s79vettes79vette Posts: 6
    I had problems with mine also, intermittent failure and then good then just hard to turn.
    took it to local wrencher and he replaced the steering knuckle on column and it's fine now. He said it's common on Dakotas.
  • my dakota steer to the right when wheel released, it has almost a 1/2 inch of play in the steering wheel the right wheel has no play in it when i jacked it up. but the left has some play front to back but up and down is good. any ideas on what it could be.
  • kellyj99kellyj99 Posts: 3
    have chirping noise when turning right or left what gives, just bought the truck less than a week ago payed 16000 dealer says I am on my own, wait and see if it goes away,
  • srs_49srs_49 Posts: 1,394
    Power steering pump? Maybe just cavitating?
  • seems it was built up rust on caliper and pads ,so they say been in the shop as of 3 times, we will see seems to come 2 days after being in for repairs
  • We have a 1999 Dodge Dakota 2wd v6 3.9 liter manual, and I can not figure out what's wrong with my power steering. Replaced the rack and Pinion 3  times in the past few months. 1 was leaking, 2 as soon as we put it in it blew a seal, 3 was the wrong rack and Pinion for my truck. And now we have number 4. Its working but not like before. We have also replaced the power steering pump and pully. The first time around we didn't have any power steering at all, it was so difficult to drive so we just put in new rack and Pinion and the pully at the same time, and guess what we have steering back, but if course that's not it. Within hours we started hearing whining from the power steering pump, but everything looks good no leaks. And sometimes when we go around a corner or turning left or right its like the steering locks up and you can't turn the wheel at all. I'm lost and no one can help me figure out what's wrong with it. Please is there anyone that might know what I can do to get my trucks power steering back again.