Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dodge Dakota - Quad Cab

Comments

• tegwjtegwj Posts: 51
    I use a pair of Yakima front fork clamps bolted to the top cover of my Roll n Lock sliding tonneau. There's enough width for a third but so far I've never gone out with two biking friends at once. The one drawback is that the bikes are easy to liberate so I can't park the truck anywhere without all kinds of crazy chain and whatnot to deter the casual thieves.

twj
  • stnickstnick Posts: 177
    Russ, I don't get here as often as I used to, but reading yours and other posts, thought I would respond as I have had 2 QC's so far. 1st one was a 2000 4x4 4.7 auto,lsd, red. Problems were two. Had whine in rear end right off the lot. I ran it for 10k miles then dealer replaced complete rear end, and thought it might have been damaged it shipping. Only other problem was transfer case sprung a leak. Replaced gasket. Rotors finally warped on a 3000 mile trip at 20k on the odometer. That was all. I traded it for a 2002 QC full time 4x4 4.7 auto, Almond/silver 2 tone, the deal, incentives, and 7/100k warranty were too good to pass up, has more goodies than the 00 did. I have 5k on it now with no problems to date. I think they are a great truck. Most have good luck, a few don't. Good luck with yours, they are a hoot to drive. Nick
  • Brakes they work, but am engaging the antilock to much! what could be the answer to getting the pedal pressure (my foot) down? other than stopping earlier?

2001 qc 4x4 4.7 auto limited-slip AWD 15,600 miles

2. Whats a good Brand of; Rotors an pads, to replace with as I still have the oem stuff for brakes on my qc?

3. is this the light & bulb http://www.pilotautomotive.com/pilot2be.htm

that you #4252 ahasher replaced the fog lights with? How much of a Difference are they compared to the oem lights?

Thanks

James, in Houston Texas

• I came upon a deal too good to pass up on a set of Michelin's, OEM Goodyears 255/65 R16's had 49K on them and were just about gone. Question is the Mich's are 255/70 R16's. About an inch more diameter and speedo will read 60 when really doing @62 according to my calculations. No big deal but dealer's ( I've tried 2 so far) can't tell me if that size is in the computer and can be updated. One dealer said he could find out but a PCM flash was $80 bucks. Mighty pricey in my view. Anyone out there got any info on this. I have to say Michelin LTX M/S make a HUGE difference in ride/handling compared to the worn out Goodyears. 2001 2WD SLT thanks --- Czar
  • bookittybookitty Posts: 1,303
    Patrick, I don't know if this will help, but it is a tire/wheel table. http://www.dakota-truck.net/TIRECALC/tirecalc.html

Bookitty

• bpeeblesbpeebles Posts: 4,085
    (czar61) Your big concern should not be the speedo error. It is the wheelspeed sensor in the rear axle that feeds the onboard computer that may become confused. This sensor is used for ALL vehicle roadspeed calculations including speedo, ABS and tranny shift points. (if you have the 45RFE tranny)

Either use the proper diameter tires or pay the $80 for a flash to your Dak computer. It is not worth compromising your safety to save a few dollars on some tires. (which may not be such a good deal after you pay the $80 to re-calibrate the ECU)

It is good to hear your report on the Michelins providing better ride&handing. I expect to be replacing my original tires after one more winter. I will not be getting the "LT" rated tires since I do not need the stiffer sidewall. (I do not haul anyting in my truck.)
    This will give me a better ride.
  • jhorljhorl Posts: 89
    I also will be switching to michelins when the time comes.
  • Bpeebles/Bookitty et al. -- Thanks for the info. You are on target with the reason I want to get the flash, I don't disagree. My problem is that I have not found a dealer who can tell me if the 255/70 R 16 size is one that is even the computer as an optional tire size. I have some more calls to different dealers to make yet - but I just wanted to see if any of you wise sages had plowed the ground ahead of me. OBW the Michelin LTX M/S are awesome. I got the set for $200 mounted and balanced - and no they weren't warm to the touch :) -- so even if I do wind up paying $80 for a flash ( still outragious in my view) I still got a bargain. Keep it between the ditches. Czar
  • tuvtesttuvtest Posts: 237
    Try shopping around for the flash. When I jumped from 31" to 32" tires, I only paid $32.
  • Thanks- Found a local dealer who will flash it for $26.50 (Half hour labor rate).
    Thinks the closest tire size in the system will be 265/65R16 which will make the
    difference only about 1.64% according to the calculator Bookitty posted. Much better than the current delta. Will let you know if it turns out any different. Thanks again. Czar
  • Curious where you got your flash done. The local dealers I have talked to have told me they can't flash my computer to 32's since that size isn't a factory option. I would love to get my overhead mileage back on track instead of just having a fancy overhead thermometer. Love the looks of the 32" mud-terrains, but would like to have all the calcs and speedometer back to accurate.
  • It is a wonder some of these Bozos manage to stay in business. According to my shop manual for my 2k Quad what is required to flash into the prom on a tire change is NOT the tire size but rather the number of rotations per mile your particular tire makes. This means you could make your Dak look like a LA Lowrider or BigFoot as long as you knew the revolutions per mile. I'm sure there are probably some high and low limits that would keep you from going to that extreme. As an aside the factory programming for the stock tires leaves something to be desired. I did a fast 1,400+ mile trip Labor Day weekend and used a GPS for routing. During the trip my GPS would show me going 62.5 MPH when I held the speedometer at 60 MPH. Looks like the difference you are worried about with your 32" tires. My Quad is a 2wd 3:55 rear and the optional 255-55-15. Rick

PS to Bookitty, dropped the bike and broke my leg! I'm getting too old for this enforced bed rest.
    Rick, sorry to hear that you dropped your bike and worse yet, broke a leg. I rode actively from 1951 (age 18) to 1990. At that time, a herniated disc caused me to stop riding. I still miss my bike and plan to look at getting a scooter when we complete the house in FL. I owned a Vespa which I transported in the bomb bay of my B-47 bomber. In fact, that's how I brought home several bikes purchased in the UK. I belonged to the Golden Eagle Motorcycle Club in Tampa, FL. I was stationed at McGill AFB. The President of the club owned a motorcycle dealership and was able to license and title the bikes. In exchange, I brought back bikes and parts for him on my frequent trips to the UK. Regulations were a bit more slack at that time. I will look for a scooter that is at least 80CC's so that I can maintain local highway speed. There are already enough seniors holding up traffic in FL. They are members in good standing of the Funeral Procession Club and drive the "Pace Cars." Get well soon.

Norm (Bookitty)
  • This is the first time I regretted getting a 5 speed in my Quad. The doctor assures me it will be at least 8 weeks before I can consider operating a clutch. Every vehicle we have is a manual. Funny you should mention hauling motorcycles in the bomb bay of a B47. I can recall 2 Honda S600 sport cars on pallets being loaded into the bomb bay of a B52 being rotated back to Michigan. This was in Guam during operation Arclight when we were carpet bombing VietNam. I'm sure funny stuff is still going on, wonder what will be smuggled out of Saudi?? Thanks for the well wishing. Rick
  • Karen_CMKaren_CM Posts: 5,019
    Ouch! Hope you mend quickly.

Community Manager If you have any questions or concerns about the Forums, send me an email, karen@edmunds.com, or click on my screen name to send a personal message.

• glzr2glzr2 Posts: 70
    First posting to this board, although I've posted on the accessory board, which prompted my purchase of two sets of mopar door sills and mopar front and rear floor mats.

The vehicle is a black w/dark slat 4x4 quad cab sport plus with the 4.7L auto and 3.55 rear. It has every option except for the front bucket seats. Picked it up last Thursday from my brother-in-law, who is a dodge dealer, for $600 under invoice (it was his demo) and 0.0%.

I couldn't be happier with this vehicle. I traded in a Blazer ZR2, which I beat on extensively off-road and I'm sure the Dakota is more than equipped to take on the task.

It has 6k on it, and I'm still thinking of what to name it.

Couple of questions for everyone. First, while giving it a bath, I noticed that my bed does not line up with the cab. It shifted to the passengers side. How easy is this to fix? Second, and I know this answer is somewhere on this board but 4000+ postings is a lot to read through.... anyway, the question.... on slow sharp right turns the clicking is present. What, if any, was the fix to this? No rear axle whine.
  • If the misalignment bothers you enough to have the dealer straighten out the box keep one thing in mind. The bolts used to secure the box to the frame are one time use, they have a special coating and should not be re used. This is in the shop manual for the Dakota. I recall some previous posts where the bolts were re used and then proceeded to vibrate loose over time. Good luck with your new Quad. Rick
  • I want IBG to be right about reprogramming the PCM for nonstock tire sizes; I just put P265/70R15 Michelin CrossTerrains on my 2KQC4X2. Problem is, I can't find where that procedure is shown in the BOB. I want to get the speedo dead-on since (1) I am too lazy to be multiplying indicated by 105.5% to get actual and (2) it's probably a good idea for the other set of brains in the truck (the digital ones) to work with acurate inputs. Thanks for any help from any source. BTW, where has everybody been for the last month?
  • Per the BOB - the Controller Antilock Brakes (CAB) in group 5 for both rear wheel and 4 wheel antilock brakes requires programming of the CAB if it is replaced. It requires the axle type (group 3) and the tire revolutions per mile (group 22) be programmed. This is outlined in the Chassis Diagnostic Manual (sorry, I don't have this one). One can infer then if you change tire size this CAB must be reprogrammed with the revolutions per mile matching the new tire size.

BOB group 3 - axle type ?? no chart

BOB group 22 page 6
    tire size/supplier/revolutions per mile
    P215/75R15/Goodyear/760
    P235/75R15 XL/Goodyear/729
    P255/65R15/Goodyear/755
    P255/55R17/Goodyear/750
    31X10.5R15 LT/Goodyear/689

Also for your info per BOB group 8H - 3

The Vehicle Speed Sensor is no longer used for any Dodge Truck.
    Vehicle speed and distance covered are measured by the Rear Wheel Speed Sensor. This sensor is mounted to the rear axle. A signal is sent from this sensor to the CAB computer. A signal is then sent to the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) to determine vehicle speed and distance covered.

So reprogram the CAB and you take care of antilock brakes and speedometer.
    Hope this helped! Rick
  • I have a 2001 Dodge Dakota with the 4.7L/5spd/3.92

Does anyone have any experience using one of the performance chips like the ones that Jet sells.

Does it really make much difference in performance?

What brands other than Jet are applicable?

Down side?

Thanks in advance, Robert
  • JUST HOW BIG OF A TIRE WILL FIT IN A 4X4 DAKOTA WITHOUT MODIFICATIONS? I THINK GOING TO A 32-11.5-15 WOULD LOOK GOOD AND I NEED TIRES FOR THE WINTER.
    Chris, perhaps this site will be of some help.

http://www.tirerack.com/index.jsp

Bookitty

• Thanks...went to the site, tho it didn't cover the 31-10.50-15 tires that come with the handling package on my truck. I was curious on what size tire would work comfortable in the wheel well jounce and turning. Anyone out there using the 32 inch tall tires have any answers.
    Thanks.
  • slr9589slr9589 Posts: 121
    Hi Guys,
    My green,00,4.7,5 spd. has reached 50k and I remain pleased with it's overall performance. I took it in for service and replaced the plugs with the ones that came with it and had the radiator flushed and new coolant added.Brake inspection showed a lot of life left in the pads and shoes! Go figure...considering all we read here about brakes,though I do admit to a lot of coasting stops and down shifting.
    I did hit a post the other day and marred the left front quater panel.it sucks..but it was my stupid mistake.
    I was walking the dealer's lot and did not see a lot of diference in the 03 quad cabs.I think we bought Quad cabs cuz we are differnt!!!
    stephen
  • sunburnsunburn Posts: 319
    I recently installed a Dynomax Super Turbo muffler (#17748) on my 02 QC, 4x4, 4.7, auto. It is much better sounding than the original muffler. It has a nice rumble when you first start up. At idle, it is only slightly louder than stock. It is most noticable between 1000-2000 RPM at part throttle. At 70 MPH you hardly know it's there. The actual performance increases seem small, but my "butt dyno" isn't well calibrated. Most of the gain seems to be above 3000 RPM. There was no loss on the low end. My mileage seems to be up between 0.2-0.8 MPG. If you want a muffler that sounds and performs better than the stock, but don't want any annoying droaning while cruising, the Super Turbo fits the bill.
  • bobs5bobs5 Posts: 557
    Hi everyone,
    Hope your holidy was nice. You too boo!

Just took the truck through it's first motor vcehicle inspection, passed with no problem.

Figures, when I go to inspection, and get to the first in line, one of their inspection lanes breaks down, and I have to wait even longer for those vehicles to back out of the facility and resume in another lane. errrrrrrrrr

Truck runs great, about 17k miles on it now.

Think I am getting the clunk knock on left turns though.

For those who have experienced the clunk with left turns, What was done to remidy this condition? Lube of front suspension parts or something like that?

Thanks,
    Bob
  • What is the GVW of the 2003 Quad Cab SLT Plus 4X4 with the 4.7L and 5-Speed?

Thank you,

RavenOne
  • First off, I hear the dakota is set for a redesign in 2004. Is that a good reason to wait till then to get a redesigned one. Or if I like the 2003, should I just get a 2003?

Also can someone tell me what, if any, options can be added at the dealership. I have found several models that have most of the options i want, but not quite all. So would it be possible for the dealer to add any options, or do they not do that? I know I could just order one that I want with what i want, but I would hate to have to wait for it. I am very impatient.
  • Oh yeah I almost forgot. While browsing the dodge website I noticed they had something called the Stampede package for the dakota. What exactly comes with this, and is it only available from the dodge site, or do some dealership models have it also?
This discussion has been closed.