Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Dakota - Quad Cab

Comments

• mopar67mopar67 Member Posts: 728
    do I qualify? I can make the trip!
  • biglucybiglucy Member Posts: 140
    Honest Input!!!

ahasher - you were one of our members I was specifically thinking of - that would be a long ride...

and Ben - do you really think you need to ask??? So what if your missing two doors, From the mods you've done to the truck, the "Beach Beauty" could most possibly be the hit of the party!!!

Keep those replies rolling in (It keeps me from doing REAL work on a Friday!!!
    with the sunroof???? Who am I thinking of????
    mine is forest green with a simple tonneau cover, K&N airfilter and thats it.
    Well almost, I have printouts of bpeebles posts under the passenger seat in a manilla folder.
    Let me know when weekends are usually good for me and I've never been to that part of PA....so tell me is the fishing good up there.
    If I go, then bpeebles HAS to be there too!
  • ahasherahasher Member Posts: 236
    so THATS what I should be doing here today.. ;-)
    Hmmmm....such a coincidence I just noticed, my QC is also forrest green (SLT so silver lower), black Extang snapless tonneau, K&N but I have the ventvisors and bug deflector (doesn’t deflect anything, but looks good) and several posts in my ownners folder in the glove box...
    andI was thinking about those vent visors..would you recommend them? Do they work?
    IMHO and .02 etc.. I swear by them, and I have had them on all my vehicles. The DODGE application is 3m tape to stick on the window frame (not my favorite method, like FORD which slides up into the window molding) however a little attention to detail, and they go on quite well. You will see the benefit the first time it rains and you want a little air, or the next HOT day and you leave the window cracked to vent while at work , and an afternoon shower appears.
    So.. I quickly paid the $48 or so for the venvisor brand ( I prefer the dark smoke color). Now.. bugflectors are cosmetic only ...
  • ferousferous Member Posts: 226
    It's a great Idea, but too far for me. My vacation time is already spoken for the rest of the year.

Michigan could hold a Quad Meeting in my neighborhood. Came home from work last night to find the 3rd Quad in our subdivision. The funny thing is that all 3 are the same color. At least I have a Century Cap to look different. We added another one at work last week. So now we have a Red, Blue, Green and Driftwood colors.
  • hennehenne Member Posts: 407
    ill go if the date is available in my busy schedule hahahahaha (nap schedule that is)
  • urban3urban3 Member Posts: 74
    I'd be interested in making the trip to PA, even if it is a bit of a haul (600+ miles from metro Chicago). Could be part of a bigger trip and destinations for a QC road trip are always welcomed.

BTW, don't do the max zoom out on Yahoo! Maps. It's difficult to tell where Forksville is while looking at North America, part of South America, Greenland, and a good portion of the Artic! Might as well have said "Somewhere in the Northern Hemisphere".
  • maceymacey Member Posts: 59
    Have to kindly disagree that bug deflectors are cosmetic only.

Prior to the install of my LUND Exterminator (3 piece), my windshield looked like fly paper...no more with the bug deflector.

I installed mine low profile, the LUND nameplate is just visible over the grill, it has a indented area that shows the hood emblem (for those who care) and when driving, and looking down the hood, is hardly visible.
    I installed mine during an unusually heavy love bug season last summer.. my windshield was ugly after a commute home through some "marshy" areas, however, you are right, the deflector was uglier. A heck of a stress test for the deflector. All things considered I guess it did it's job pretty well.. maybe the slight style difference between Lund and ventvisor was a factor?
    Anyone else have results of a deflectors performance?
  • iowabigguyiowabigguy Member Posts: 552
    Gosh, any further EAST and you'd have it in NYC Central Park! The geographical center of the US is in Kansas. How about Kentucky, Missouri or Illinois for a more central location. A 1000+ miles is a bit much for a burger and a beer, even in such esteemed company. Rick

PS, How about Memphis, someone saw Elvis last week and he was driving a Quad.
  • hogger4hogger4 Member Posts: 29
    I can make it to PA from Upstate NY. How about Quad Owners in other parts of this country & Canada having regional get together? I would love to see everyone at PA, but that is not possible. Regional get togethers might be possible if someone like BIG LUCY can step forward in different areas. How about it?
  • indychapellindychapell Member Posts: 35
    Been driving my Quad since last Oct. Can honestly say have not experienced any problems or unusual noises. Since buying have installed bug shields, ventvisors, step bars, and just had my new Jason hard tonno put on. Leaving next weekend on vacation to NC.. beaches, will be the first long trip on the Quad. Have noticed that the milage is getting better. Still thinking of getting K&N. Has anyone out there seen the new filter that Holly has come out with. Claims to flow better than the K&N? Keep the info coming, enjoy reading everyone comments.
  • jimtjimt Member Posts: 56
    A little to far for me as well. (South Florida) I'm sure it would be a great trip and park sounds great. Maybe the regional idea is workable. Our numbers are growing steadily, and interest seems very good for our trucks. If the Pa. get together succeeds, regionals would sound good! Jim
  • hogger4hogger4 Member Posts: 29
    Anyone have information on changes/improvements for 2002 to our beloved Dakota's? With DC's financial woes, I am not expecting much. They should put their money into a supercharger for the 4.7 (he-he-he)!
  • kjcdr1kjcdr1 Member Posts: 26
    pmacey, Have not been in touch for several days, but a late thank you for the response on bug deflectors. Glad to find that there are some that work.

ahasher, I posted earlier that the PCI deflector that is on my '01 QC collects bugs, but does little in terms of deflecting. The bugs are bad here in PA right now and the QC windshield collects a ton of bugs during a one hour evening drive.

Ken
  • dpgrosedpgrose Member Posts: 11
    That would be arrow(sic).
  • kjcdr1kjcdr1 Member Posts: 26
    Unless there is some unforseen and unexpected activity that might interfere, you can count on my Silver Quad for participation in a gathering at World's End. Hopefully there will be enough participation to make your efforts worthwhile.

Ken
  • joehoejoehoe Member Posts: 37
    On the Gulf Coast (MS), I had a major problem with bugs being a permanent part of my paint job. The Bug Deflector cured that.

Now I'm in AZ and don't have much need for it.

What I would like to know is... Is there anything you can use on them to keep them "new" looking? They get hazy after a few years in the sun, eh?

Also... hogger4... I did see that DC is planning a redesigned Dak in '03... Probably mocking the recent Ram changes...
    which I neglected to mention is that while my windshield still collects bugs with the deflector, my HOOD does NOT! No more bug juice eating that shiny clearcoat and forrest green paint.. making my hood look like it has a bad case of acne. So far frequent washes, and the deflector,and my QC hood still looks like new... If the deflector gets messed up, $48 is worth the replacement vs a new hood paint job.
  • bookittybookitty Member Posts: 1,303
    Bob, sounds like a great outing, but I would have to decline as my scheduled commitments are far outstripping available time. Thank you for the invitation.

Bookitty
  • kayaker3kayaker3 Member Posts: 9
    How about one for the central states? Being in central Illinois I would be willing to travel a days drive for one.
    Paul.
  • dakotaloverdakotalover Member Posts: 4
    Hi Gang,

Figured you may be interested in the current [8/01] edition of Consumer Reports. They did a review on the Compact Crew Cab PUs: Ford Exp. Sport Trac, Dak QC, Toy Tac, Chev. S-10, and the Nissan Frontier.

It's the 1st time, IIRC, that they trashed a Nissan ["Highs: Only its rugged looks; Lows: Ride, steering, interior space, engine noise, access, fuel economy."].

In overall ratings, the Ford Exp. Sport Trac gets the nod, while in reliability the Toy Tac wins. The Dak QC 4.7 was the worst performer for fuel eco [13 mpg Overall], but the only one with a V8. I don't get nearly that bad mileage with my '00 4.7 CC [SLT+, 4WD, the works]; my overall mpg is ~16 [not much difference loaded/empty bed].

You 4.7 QC folks can chime in here--- is your mpg that low?? I know that the V8 Daks are pretty bad in the mpg dept., but I didn't think it was dismal. BTW, the Toy Tac had the best O/A mpg at 16.

Comments, protests? Just don't shoot the messenger.

Regards,
    Ted
  • pmaceypmacey Member Posts: 33
    I have a 2001 QC with 4.7/Auto/AWD/3.92/LSD/T&H/Sport+ with ARE LS II Tonneau cover and sport wing.

With a Flowmaster catback and JET CHIP II, I was averaging 18.1 MPG, mostly highway at no higher then 65 MPH.

Have since added z-tube, 180 t-stat and Autolite 3923s and have had too much fun with a heavy right foot, haven't seen 16 MPG yet.
  • bobsyveebobsyvee Member Posts: 63
    First off, the Dakota should not have been included. It is a MID-SIZE truck, not a compact.

Second, rating the Sport-trac as #1 is ridiculous. I guess they didn't make any sudden maneuvers in that one.

That's only two reasons I place no stock in magazine "ratings". Info in forums like this is where I would (and did) better form an opinion as to whether a vehicle is worth my money. Real people doing real things with their truck.

JimH
  • barleonbarleon Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for all who responded to my question (msg #3330) about the owner's manual reco for synthetic lubricant when using the vehicle to two. I have an appointment Thursday to have the synthetic installed!
  • barleonbarleon Member Posts: 3
    Of course, that's "tow", not "two"
  • urban3urban3 Member Posts: 74
    So far I'm very satisfied with my '01 QC and have no regrets having chosen it over competitors. I thoroughly researched ratings, reviews and this board.

The S-10 had a smaller rear seat area and bed. Xterra (same platform as Frontier) front seats seemed really low to me, had IMO funky "modern" instrumentation. Full size Tundra rear seat area smaller than Dak. And, no offense to Sport Track owners, it looks odd to me. The bed is too narrow and the cab looks like some sort of pod.

I was interested in Tacoma, but preferred QC styling and decided to live with any so called lesser quality than Toyota. So far I've only found minor issues. I also like the V8 option on Dakota and have to like the 90 degree rear doors.

I've asked a lot questions to this group about this or that, but the bottom line is I really enjoy owning and driving my QC. You know it's a good sign when you're always looking forward to driving the vehicle whatever the destination. And you park far away from other cars and you keep looking back at your rig as you walk away.
  • decentman4youdecentman4you Member Posts: 27
    Should be compared against what other Truck's for direct comparision? I'm 6'6" and I cant fit in the 1990 thru 2001 Nissan anything, I presently own a 87 Nissan Kingcab that i do have 2 inches of headroom in it and Nissan list in their Brochoure that the Headroom is 39.3 inches BUT if you take a measuring tape (american-made) an measure the head room in the newer nissan's that are Only 37" headroom, Well they lost me as a customer...

I had to try on all the Trucks just to see If I could fit into them and the Dodge QC with the Electric Driver's side was the only Small Truck that I could fit in, and since I was now having to spend an extra 10 grand for that ability, I simply decided to Spend all the way and get My Present QC 4x4, lsd, 3.55 T&H, HD everything, Amberfire, 4.7L auto AWD, tow pkg factory installed, I got everything except for Leather, sliding rear window, an cd-in-dash. presently am getting 16.5mpg in city driving, an when i drive to Dallas, I live in Houston, I get around 21 mpg on the Overhead thing, is that thing accurate? Should I go and have the Overhead thing Calibrated at the dealership? I have the 265/70/16 tire's... just over 10grand miles.

I dont have any noise coming from the rear end, How would one know if the rear-end has the Synthetic Oil in it, and how often should the rear end oil be changed and How much longer does the Synthetic Oil in the rear-end Last? would it be better to run the Synthetic year round? I dont presently tow anything, though I am planning on getting a boat someday :-)
  • alex4x4alex4x4 Member Posts: 19
    Thanks for all the info on the bug deflectors! It might be kinda silly but I never realized there was that much to them, there really are a number of different makes with different mounting styles and effectiveness. I bought a Profile + which I ended up returning, I didn't like the construction, the tabs that attached to the the grille were separate pieces that were connected to the bug deflector with plastic rivets and the smoke color wasn't dark enough to hide the tabs. It just looked like it was poorly designed, and the eyebrows were only held on by 3 small buttons of double sided tape, which seemed destine to fall off eventually, probably at highway speed in darkness or heavy traffic so as to make sure they would be lost or crushed by another vehicle.

I made a trip down to the dealership and checked out the ones on some of the used Dakotas/Durangos and Rams that were on the lot. It seemed to me the Mopar ones weren't much better. I was impressed with the "Truck Logic" ones which is a brand I've never heard of, and haven't been able to find at any stores in my area or online parts stores. I'll probably go with the Lund Exterminator since it was recommended on this board and is available locally, thanks for all the feed back.

Regarding the rear end whine and synthetic fluid...I changed my rear end fluid to synthetic at 86 miles the day after bringing it home. I live in Colorado Springs and bought my truck in Denver. On the 60 mile drive home I noticed a slight whine in the rear end that occurred while coasting downhill in gear, only around 50mph. After the switch to synthetic I haven't heard the noise since. I can't say for sure if it went away because of the synthetic or perhaps it was just a matter of then gears needing some time to mesh properly.

I'm no Petroleum Engineer, however I was very surprised at the visual appearance of the factory fluid that I removed from the rear end. Considering it had only around 2 hours of running time on it, 86 total miles, most of which were at highway speeds of 50-60mph on a relatively cool April day. The fluid was noticeably cloudy/milky in appearance and to me seemed to have already began to look slightly darkened.

Since a number of people on this board have reported having rear end problems switching to the synthetic fluid might be a wise investment whether you plan on towing or not. It's easily done on your own, all you need is a wrench, drain pan, 2.2 qts of synthetic fluid, a tube of silicone gasket maker, and an hour of time. The Mobil 1 fluid is about $8 per qt, and the whole thing should run less than $30.

Whether its a matter of the Dakota being tough on rear end fluid or a matter of the factory fluid being substandard, or possibly a combination of the two, a small investment of time and money in the beginning might save a big headache down the line.

Sorry for the long post but here is a nice trick for all the do-it-yourself-ERs out there regarding rear end fluid changes. Go to the sporting goods department at Wal-Mart and get one of those fuel primer ball, like the ones used on outboard boat motors to pump the fuel from the gas tank to the carbs. The ones for Evenrudes have the larger ball and fuel lines already attached. You simply put one end in the rear end through the fill hole, and the other in old one-gallon milk jug and squeeze the primer ball and "pump" the old fluid out. This is very quick and effective and removes around 90% of the old fluid without the hassle of taking off the rear end cover and redoing the gasket. I can change my fluid in about 10 minutes using this method.

If you are doing the initial switch to synthetic you will want to remove the rear end cover and get all the old fluid out, but this works great on changes after that. Also those of us that tow and launch boats with their QCs will want to keep a sharp eye out for any signs of water in the old rear end fluid, and do a complete change if there are any signs of water. I'm not sure I trust the rubber plug on the rear end against the added pressure of being submerged, especially as it gets older and more brittle.

Enough Already!!
    I Hope Everyone has a Safe and Happy 4th

-----Alex-----
  • spike50spike50 Member Posts: 481
    Last year themacguy and others had researched a central USA location. As far as I can remember that didn't happen. Its one of the unfortunate aspects of the internet, shared interests, and geography.

The best way for these things to work is on a state by state or regional basis to get a core group of attenders. These events should always be open to other Dak-eers that want to make the bigger driving commitments. You'll always have internet friends at the other ends of the country that can't make it. You should have the get together anyway and then send them the pictures. That could inspire others to get started on local chapters that could grow into something bigger later.

My biggest concern is that wives and kids probably don't care to much about light bulb temperatures, oil changes, tire pressures, etc. - come to think of it that might get a bit long for the day's only activity. Need a place with other recreational possibilities.
  • egaquamanegaquaman Member Posts: 19
    Okay, so now I've figured out where Pennsylvania is...Where will the get together be? I'll go if I can route from there to Philly (I really want a cheese steak).
  • iowabigguyiowabigguy Member Posts: 552
    Where are you in Canada, maybe we should head north. I could do with some pancakes with real maple syrup! Rick
  • xena1axena1a Member Posts: 286
    Hi guys. Hope you don't mind me posting this question here. This thread seems to get the most activity, so I'll give it a try. I've got a 2000 4WD Dakota with the 4.7L and 5-speed manual. The truck just turned 10,000 miles and I've been using Mobil1 since the 6,000 mile mark. Anyway, my question is this - During normal to moderate acceleration, the engine pulls strong and smooth. However, I've found that if I romp on the gas pedal (in 3rd and 4th gears especially), the engine produces lots of clatter as the RPMs build up. It really is very noticable. Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this or knows what might be causing this situation. If you need any more specific information about my Dakota, please let me know. I'll dig back through the previous entries to see if this has been discussed before. Thanks...

Tim
  • bpeeblesbpeebles Member Posts: 4,085
    Sounds like pre-ignition or pinging to me.

Best discussed in Dodge Dakota Owners - Maintenance Topic
  • dpratldpratl Member Posts: 2
    Need some feedback. Found a used 2000 QC 4WD with a V6 (12000mi)that I'm considering. How's the performance of the V6 been? It seems the majority of the posted messages pertain to the V8. Would appreciate any feedback or advice. Thx
    get the v-8, the mileage is comparable and the performance is much better.
    The v-6 was fine once upon a time, but new technology has surpassed it.
  • bpeeblesbpeebles Member Posts: 4,085
    The 4.7L V8 Hemi that is... NOT the 318 or 360 V8s
  • namfflownamfflow Member Posts: 202
    The combustion chambers are "D" shaped therefore the engine is at best a Semi-Hemi. Please do not use an incorrect term for this engine. All it will do is cause more confusion once Mopar releases the 5.7 REAL Hemi.

With this error Bpeeples you are risking losing credibility.

Check out the Allpar site for technical details of the 4.7 and 5.7 engines.
    has a pretty good photo of the combustion chamber of the 4.7 and compares it to the 318/360 chambers.
    Here's the URL http://www.moparchat.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=28307
  • gtownguygtownguy Member Posts: 73
    I read I think Julys edition of Pop Mechanics and they did their long term test of a 2000 QC. Guess what, they developed a rear end whine as well between certain speeds.... But like most, I assume, they claim they will live with it. Otherwise they liked the truck a lot. Also in the same issue there is an article/note about DC products coming from the factory with milky rear end fluid, like it had been water contaminated. They claimed not to worry, this was normal..
    Anyways, Just to let you know.
    Thanks
    Tom.
  • ja812ja812 Member Posts: 33
    Has anyone found the 75w/140 gear lube that is recommended in any of the auto stores?? The only place that has it is the dealer at $20 a quart which is fine unless I can get it cheaper some place else. Also is the correct lube for the front end still the 75w/90??

Thank-You
  • txqc2000txqc2000 Member Posts: 121
    Definitely sounds like pinging. I've had this problem with my 5.9L engine. Changing the spark plugs to Autolite 3923's which are 1 step colder helped to alleviate this in all but very hot temps (ambient and engine). I had the belly pan gasket checked but it seems to be intact. Dodge's answer is to flash the PCM with a program to retard the ignition -- which I feel is just a cop out. You might try doing a search on the DML (www.dakota-truck.net) to see what others have done to solve this problem on your particular engine. MOST IMPORTANTLY -- when you hear the pinging, let off the gas. You don't want to damage the engine.
  • egaquamanegaquaman Member Posts: 19
    What about our "real" beer??? Anyways, I'm in good old downtown Toronto. Home of the sucky Blue Jays and worse the Toronto Make Beliefs.
  • mvito1mvito1 Member Posts: 3
    I purchased a brand new 2001 Quad Cab 4x4 Sport with the 5.9L v8. it's got 17,000 miles and I have never towed anything with it.
    There was a recall on the 4x4 switch,which was re programmed 2 months back...No problems!

got motor oil change last week and as soon as i got home and put the transmission in reverse. I heard this loud "CHUG" then awful metal grind.

Had it towed back to the dealership 2 hours later.
    Service Adviser said "tranny" went out!

Is this common on all 2001 Dakota Quad Cabs4x4 OR
    Was I sold a "LEMON"
    signed,
    Very Upset Dakota Owner!
This discussion has been closed.