Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Dakota - Quad Cab

Comments

• bpeeblesbpeebles Member Posts: 4,085
    With all due respect. The 4.7L has been deemed "close-enough" to be called a "HEMI" by some well-recognized folks.

I only began to refer to it as a HEMI once I had inspected the heads and reviewed what others have also documented.

The reason it is not a "true" Hemi by the book definition is well understood. Good engineering sometimes results in compromises to achieve a better result than the theory on paper.

What about the carbon-iron engine skirt? This item alone makes the 4.7L V8 Hemi engine stand out in the crowd. The Magnesium valvecovers and other technical additions that this engine displays deserve to be recognized. Even if the theoretical "hemi" combustion chamber does not stand up to the book definition.
    (mvito1) There have been several issues with that particular transmission. Some have said that Chrysler has a history of tranny problems. (minivan and RAM automatics too)

It seems that the engineers were given more time to perfect the 4.7LV8 Hemi since the problem reports on it have been very minimal.
  • mopar67mopar67 Member Posts: 728
    or whatever we're calling it these days, I pose this question regarding the magnesium valve covers.
    If they're so great and "advanced" then why does the BOB or BTB or BRB or whatever manual we happen to have clearly state that nothing must rest on the valve cover (including wire harnesses) lest a hole be worn in the cover itself? And Chrysler wants us to dance a jig over this?
    Forgive me for being jaded, but I can remember the days when stamped steel covers were used and it did not matter one whit what rested on them. The only thing you lost was some paint at the point of contact. You did not have to worry about a hole being worn in the valve cover and I've had plenty of mopar 4's 6's and v-8's to bear this out.
    Also, for all the high tech wizardry of this engine, the BOB states that if the valve guides are worn beyond acceptable limits, then the entire head must be replaced. IN other words, if the head is good save for the valve guides, Chrysler wants us to fork over lots of $$$ for another head.
    Can you say replaceable valve guides? ANybody in Auburn Hills reading this? Did Congress pass a law making it illegal to design a cylinder head with replaceable valve guides?
    I sure hope the engineers did a better job on the engine than the transmission (mvito1). I hope it runs out to its expected 150K design life. God help us when it starts to need repairs as I see nothing on the design that gives me a warm fuzzy feeling about being reasonable in cost to repair.
  • txqc2000txqc2000 Member Posts: 121
    I have nearly 13K miles on my 5.9L AWD with 46RE auto tranny. No problems thus far (crossing my fingers). I hope the dealer and DC fix yours up 100%!!
  • iowabigguyiowabigguy Member Posts: 552
    I realize some people are very unhappy to have a problem with their Dakota however is it really necessary to post the same message in almost every darn heading??? I think you will find that the people who are interested in Dakotas read ALL the subject headings and are intelligent enough to retain the information they just read when changing to different subject groups. Rick
  • ahasherahasher Member Posts: 236
    Well I have seen several problem posts here (iowabigguy is right the repeats are not necessary). So I want to check in with my 29,300 mile status for the benefit of potential buyers who might only be lurkers and new members following the history of the QC owners.
    Refresher: 2000 Forrest Green over silver/pearl. Greyge headliner/agate lower. 4.7, auto,3.92 (now with synthetic), owner added mopar tow kit, T&H, HD service, all electric except computer (I added the J.C. Whitney compass auto dim mirror.. way cool) and seats, K&N filter, rail caps, Soft Extang snapless tonneau (modified to have the back 1/3 hinged for easy access), dark tinted windows all around, PIAA 9007 bulbs, ventisors and bug shield. Still waiting on my next wife approved addition ;-)
    I have excellent power, acceleration and handling. Shifting is as smooth as I could want in any combination of speeds and driving conditions.
    Ok maintenance; TSB for the tranny fill tube, low IDLE problem needed PCM flash, and last but certainly not least, a shorted aux fan relay and melted fuse box in the engine compartment replacement. Mileage: approx 17/18 highway and 15 city.. (I plan on new checks since that was BEFORE the PCM flash). I do have the very infrequent popping in the right front while turning, but it is mild and infrequent, so the info gathered here will be kept nearby when needed. I stil get compliments on the style of the QC and the full rear door setup and room inside. And finally.. while walking in from the parking garage to my building, someone who was standing at the exit when I happened to be pulling in and parking commented on the great sound it made (the echo amplified the already excellent sound even the stock pipes make), and asked a few questions about the engine and power, now thats the way to start the day!
    Ok, a long post but I wanted to start out todays posting on a positive note.
  • urban3urban3 Member Posts: 74
    Sorry guys, I suggested to a couple of others to put their posts on multiple topics. I just thought they'd have a better chance of getting help. It does seem like a few topics are more widely read than others. Anyway...

Any more talk on some sort of gathering? How about one in the central US?
  • namfflownamfflow Member Posts: 202
    Calling the 4.7 a hemi is flat out wrong. It gives the impression that the engine is something that it isn't.

Now in itself a hemi is not magical. All it means (literally) is that the combustion chambers are hemisperical. But as we all now (us old farts) a HEMI means so much more, the plug in center of the head (thus the plug through valve cover) super strong botton end, etc.

It is just that the 5.7 hemi once it comes out is very different than the 4.7 it is confusing to compare the 2. The 5.7 is an OHV while the 4.7 is an OHC.

I just don't think people should be lead to believe the engine is somehow related to the "real" hemi.

That is like saying the old 2.2 and 2.5 turbos are the same engines used in racing since they are both turbocharged
  • cbacres1cbacres1 Member Posts: 18
    A while back there was a posting on the wind noise created by this brand of visors. I believe I found a cure for it. At the bottom where the visor overlaps the mirror base, there is a gap and this appears to be where the wind noise is coming from. I stuck a piece of foam weather striping left over from my bed cover in this gap. I hav'nt really had a chance check it out close, but the sound seems to have gone away. I'm going to run on the hwy. with it on, take it off and compare. I think a permanent fix would be some double sided tape.

Any recommendations on wax that performs well on the Garnett Red color, or other dark colors?

Craig
  • ayrowayrow Member Posts: 99
    BPeeples,

Reguarding your earlier post, I am the one with the Red Dakota Sport with the Sunroof.

:)

Ayrow

http://www/ayrow.com/truck.html

• alex4x4alex4x4 Member Posts: 19
    Craig,

I have a Garnet Red QC and had great results with Eagle One car wax. It does a great job removing and swirl marks in the paint, leaves just a deep mirror finish from any angle. Now if it just help remove afternoon rain showers we'd be set, them darn water spots show up too easy.

Good Luck,
    -----Alex-----
    For those that need explain;
    OHV = OverHeadValve (only LAWNMOWERS do not have this design)
    OHC= OverHeadCam (Valves are still in the head too)

These two terms are NOT mutually exclusive... they are only vagely related to each other

You are correct. These two engines are very different. ALL AUTOMOTIVE ENGINES HAVE OHV SINCE THE MID-60s!

You have hit upon EXACTLY the reason that they are different. The cost of two cylinder heads that that have OHC -and- a true hemi-head are prohibitive. (Have you ever seen the VTEC head on a Honda or Acura?...The head is larger than the BLOCK and this is only 4 cylinders)

This is EXACTLY why the 4.7L V8 hemi has compromised to gain the benifets of OHC and keep the HEMI design as close as possible.

A NON-OHC engine places the cam somwhere else (not in the head) and forces the design engineers to have some sort of linkage from the cam to the valves. All of this moving mass inherantly has "slop" in it and reduces the allowable redline of the engine due to valve float. (the valve-springs have to have MUCH more preload to be able to close the valves AND move all of that linkage around to maintain contact with the cam.)

Bottom line... NON-OHC is widely seen as a poorer design than OHC.
    are in order here.
    FIrst, automotive engines have not been exclusively OHV since the 60's.
    Buick advertised "valve in head" since David Dunbar Buick built his first car circa early 1900's
    Duesnburg utilized OHC configurations in the 30's
    Both Cadillac and Oldsmobile brought out OHV engines in the 1949 model year.
    Chrysler came out with the HEMI (a true hemi) in 1951 displacing 331 CID and generating 180 horsepower. Other hemis would follow.
    Chevrolet and Ford both by 1955 were offering OHV V-8 (the first generation small blocks)
    AMC (Hudson and Nash marriage) had a 320 CID v-8 from Packard displacing 320 CID which was available in 1955. In 1956 AMC brought out their own engine, a 250 CID v-8 generating 190 HP
    Techumseh, Briggs & stratton, and Kohler not to mention the Japansese companies offer OHV configurations in small engines as low as 4 HP
    Honda alone offers and OHC engine.
    ANd yes, thank you I DO know the difference between OHV and OHC. In both instances the valves are ABOVE this piston.
    By the way, I have 20 bucks that says you don't know what an F head engine is. Hint check out Jeep and Kaiser in the 40's and 50's.
  • egaquamanegaquaman Member Posts: 19
    First, Eric Lindros is damaged goods. His 75 concussions have rendered him a wuss, and therefore he would be PERFECT for the Leafs.

2nd I drove a few REAL Hemis from the 70s, and this AIN'T it. But I do love this engine.

3rd for all who aren't concerned with reading similar messages over and over again, just self edit. If it doesn't appeal to you or your interests, DON'T READ!
  • bigdave11bigdave11 Member Posts: 3
    I HAVE A 01 AMBERFIRE QUAD SPORT W/ 4.7 AUTO ,3.92 4X4 FULLY LOADED -EXCEPT LEATHER AND BUCKETS-.IT HAS 7100 MILES ON IT AND WITH ONLY A STALLING WHEN STARTING THING THIS PAST WINTER THAT WORKED IT SELF OUT SINCE SPRING .I'VE NOTICED WHEN I GET ON THE GAS FROM A STOP 1ST RUNS OUT AROUND 5300 RPM BEFORE IT DECIDE TO SHIFT TO 2ND AND SO ON....MY TAC. NOT HAVING ANY YELLOW/RED LINE GIVING THE SINCE OF [NO FEAR]OF RUNNING IT ALL THE WAY TO 7000 RPM W/ NO PROBLEM.DOSE THIS SOUND NORMAL AT HIGH ACCELLERATION-HOW MUCH IS TO MUCH? NOT THAT I WOULDN'T FIND OUT SOONER OR LATER...IT SEEMS ALITTLE EXCESSIVE TO ME CAUSE I LIKE BLOWING THOSE 5.O MUSTANGS/Z-28'S AWAY AT THE LIGHTS IF YA'LL KNOW WHAT I MEAN........IT SEEMS TO SHIFT NORMAL AT REGULAR SPEEDS.PLS GIVE SOME INPUT ON THIS ,THANKS
  • gtownguygtownguy Member Posts: 73
    Hello everyone, I was interested in getting bed rail caps for my 2001 QC. Like the ones that come standard on fords etc. Does anyone have these and if so, where are they available?. Also I'm considering a bed rug liner, are these for applications where the bed is covered or can they be exposed to weather? Would I be better of with a rubber mat or plastic liner? Any and all comments will be appreciated. I submit these questions as my 2 week old, 1000 mile new truck is at the dealer for the engine light coming on and running terrible rough!!! HHMMM Hope its a small problem.
    Thanks
    Tom.
    I am aware of many of those "facts" I was pretty accurate in saying ALL automotive engines have been OHV since the mid 1960s especially the design goes back well beyond that timeframe.

My main thrust was to clarify that OHV in the upcoming 5.7L HEMI is not all that "special".

I was trying to keep it simple for the readers who like to follow these discussions and learn a thing or two in the process.
  • decentman4youdecentman4you Member Posts: 27
    I dont. or should I ? Nope just the regular airfilter, though clean, an I have no problem going faster than most cars :-)

My Present QC 4x4, LSD-gee kinda makes you wonder :-), 3.55 T&H, HD everything, Amberfire, 4.7L auto AWD, tow pkg, factory installed, I got everything except for Leather, sliding rear window, an cd-in-dash; I got the rad-w/changer presets, an havnt bought the changer yet:-( presently 10,200 miles 16-19 mpg depending.

I still have the original rear end oil in it should I change it? no noise that I can hear? even with the radio off and the windows down listening for any sound, also Cant hear any sound coming from the CV Joints in front while turning?

Hey Bpeebles this dont work? see below?

http://www/ayrow.com/truck.html dont work

I prefer a rubber-Mat or used floormats one's that have been thrown away, for cushioning, underneath, with a Cut-to-fit Piece of plywood on top to keep things from sliding around too much its cheep an easily replaceable--Normally last around 3-5years before I need a new piece of plywood :-)

• dodgetrukndodgetrukn Member Posts: 116
    decentman, put a "." after the www instead of typo "/"

as in http://www.ayrow.com/truck.html
  • ozarkozark Member Posts: 124
    Anyone add a brake controller to your Quad. Where did you mount the box on the dash?? And how?? Thanks ahead of time for any help. BTW, Quad now has 47k plus miles. Still purring. Bookitty, you still out there???
  • ferousferous Member Posts: 226
    First it was Andy Jordon. Andy would help everyone out. Sometimes it seemed like 10 times a day Andy was responding. Now Boo is gone. I'm starting to feel really old. I have been in this group since 11/99. How many out there have been here for more than a year???
  • bookittybookitty Member Posts: 1,303
    Herb, Thad, thank you for your concerns, but like it or not; I'm still here. I read the postings every day, but we have so much going on in our lives at this point, that as long as someone gets a valid response I maintain "radio silence." As I write this, there are carpenters and ceramic tile people working on the addition at our beach house and the upcoming settlement for the FL building lots will come up at the end of the month. I have not driven and/or seen my Amber Fire Quad in over a month. My wife has been going back and forth and Boo and I are covering the action here (NJ). The Owners Club postings for just about all subjects have been intelligent and meaningful and I see that questions are answered and information dispensed kindly and thoughtfully. It remains the best site on the Internet because the people involved are bright and caring. Thank you again for thinking of me.
    Bookitty
  • drdakotadrdakota Member Posts: 24
    bigdave11 and decentman, I have discovered the real culprit. I think the Amberfire color has something to do with the transmission. Also, the full moon and that lady on TV with the tarot cards. Just a thought.
  • tegwjtegwj Member Posts: 51
    I added one to mine. I took the harness supplied by Dodge (with the 4 bare wires at the other end) and got a mating 4-conductor harness, one half of which goes on the end of the Dodge harness, the other goes on the wires from the controller itself. Easy quick-disconnect without worrying about the under-dash stuff.

Anyway I tuck the box up in the front storage tray at the end of the console, in front of the cupholders. Not permanently attached at this time, just haven't bothered. it would fit neatly on the angled dash panel.

twj
  • bobs5bobs5 Member Posts: 557
    I have a bedrug bedliner for the truck. Have not installed it yet though. It is suppose to withstand the weather with no problems.
    Bruce, saw this interesting fact on CompuServ. Now here is an opportunity to get even.

"Eww! Porcupine & Armadillo for DINNER?
    Did you know that porcupine meat not only tastes good, but also it was once considered an aphrodisiac in Italy? So THIS is why there are so many endangered species!"

Enjoy your dinner but remember to remove any hoses and such. They have a terrible taste.

Bookitty
  • cbacres1cbacres1 Member Posts: 18
    Good to hear from you. Have you checked your lots since it has been raining here almost everday? Or is the idea to have your own 4- wheeling area. Anyway look forward to having others down in this area with a QC interest like we all have. I'm sure the ones that have them just don't realize what a great & popular truck that they are.

Still real happy with mine. Have 4300 mile and only had truck for 5 weeks. Getting just under 17 MPG @ 75-80MPH. ( min. speed to keep from getting run over). See you all later

Craig
  • slickwilliedjslickwilliedj Member Posts: 252
    has any body heard if the durango has a similar problem or know someone that owns one that has experienced it..... as far as know the 2 trucks have the same FRONT suspension. in review: a snapping/popping noise occurs periodically while braking and turning left or right....
  • mk39mk39 Member Posts: 18
    Am looking for a "bug shield" for a 2001 QC - more to protect the front edge of the truck than the windshield. Checked into the Lund X-Terminator that has been recommended here. Found it at trucksforless for about $53 but over $22 shipping in a 70 lb package (does that sound right?). Then called Browns of Two Rivers who said that they have discontinued selling the X-Terminator because of problems with vibration and noise. They recommend the Interceptor instead. Any comments on either of these shields?
  • slr9589slr9589 Member Posts: 121
    Hi all,
    Well on tuesday 7/10 during a nasty thunderstorm a sick oak tree decided to split in half and rest on my Quad.
    It pushed in the roof at the drivers door and managed to crease the door as well.the end of the tree whipped off and put a deep dent in my right rear quarter panel.the door still works and I'm thankful that I was not sitting in the vehicle at the time.
    Have had the first appraisal today and expect to get to a bdy shop asap.
    Otherwise at 26,616 miles all is ok.
    stephen
    (slickwilliedj) The entire Rolling stock is IDENTICAL on these two rigs. This includes everything from the frame down to the ground including engine, tranny...etc.
  • rockymtn4x4rockymtn4x4 Member Posts: 16
    It has been asked before, but I thought I'd bring it up again. Does anyone have pics of a lifted 4x4 QC? Would be very interested in the looks and cost etc. Thank you and kudos to everyone for having such a friendly and professional board.

Rich
    Craig, have not checked the lots other than having an environmental inspection. They should I high and dry, but if not, waterfront property has more value.

Bookitty
  • billarfbillarf Member Posts: 38
    Does anybody else with an '01 QC with 4.7 and automatic tranny have a problem (or had a problem with) the transmission dip stick NOT seating properly in the filler tube all the way? To check the transmission fluid level I must push the dip stick in approx. 3/4 inch until it is all the way in. Let go if the dipstick and it springs back out the 3/4 inch as if it is spring loaded. NO, the dipstick is not bent wrong, etc.. I'm also concerned that with the dip stick not staying in completely that this would allow rain/water in possibly. Anyway, thoughts on this, please.
    p.s. Appreciate your input on my Mobile 1 related question. Bill in NY
    I just picked up an after market CD changer that works with the factory head unit. I was wondering where in the QC (location) the factory installed CD changers are mounted?
  • bcarter3bcarter3 Member Posts: 145
    Bill, I have the 4.7 with auto and the same dipstick situation. I'm not sure if it is a problem or not. When I picked up my 01 back in October I showed it to the Service Manager. He went and pulled one from another truck on the lot and put it in mine. Same thing. "Must be Normal" was his answer. It is the first time I've ever encountered any dipstick that did not seat fully. This subject was brought up quite some time ago in these forums and I don't remember a solution. Keep us posted on any info you find. Thanks.
  • bobs5bobs5 Member Posts: 557
    Finally got around to installing the Bedrug. Looks really nice.
    It is installed with stick-on hook & loop fasteners.
    Took about an hour to do. I mounted the cargo tie downs on top of the bedrug, as opposed to cutting a slit in the bedrug itself.
    Will see how it holds up.
    Bob
  • ayrowayrow Member Posts: 99
    Alex4X4,

I am curious! Where did you find an aftermarket Changer for the QC???? Is it an RF modulated one or does it actually work with the head unit?
    Also, what kind did you get?

Thank you so much,

Ayrow
    This changer plugs in directly to the back of the factory unit, if you have the factory stereo with cd changer controls, its not an RF or FM modulated one. There is a company on E-Bay that sells brand new 6 disk changers with a 3 year warranty, and they always seem to have "Dutch Auction" going. I paid $239, which is about half what the dealer wanted for a Mopar one. Here's a link if you want to check it out.

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1254918598

I expect mine to arrive next week, if you're interested I'll let you know how it all works out once I get it installed.

I'm still tring to figure out where the factory CD Changer mounts to see if there is some wiring already in place. If anyone knows please post the location.

-----Alex-----

• decentman4youdecentman4you Member Posts: 27
    http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1254918598

well I checked out that site and it look's valid and I have a 01 QC 4x4 with everything but the best radio cause in the are that I live I thought that if there is only a cassette in dash that my NEW truck would not be BROKE into, but I was WRONG...

Twice this year 6 March & 21 April my insurance Company had replaced the steering column due to my truck being broke into the 1st time, and the 2nd time stolen though I got it back the next day, an of course the next 3 weeks in the dealer's repair shop getting fixed...

I bought the am/fm Cassete with changer controls with the hopes of getting the changer later, but not paying the $380.00 plus installation charge. So I cant wait to hear about your getting this changer and it being installed, and how well It works. Thanks in advance

James

• ethuressonethuresson Member Posts: 55
    I have a 01 4.7 4x4 with the 45rfe atx, and my dipstick does the same thing. I believe the 'cap' of the dipstick is somewhat tapered which 'pushes' the stick out until OD and ID match. That's my theory anyway, and it doesn't leak or seem to have caused any problems, just a manufacturing defect, I think...
  • bjckbjck Member Posts: 3
    awesome vehicle, 4.7 love it live it first DC product in my life never would leave CM or Toyota but what a great truck, brakes feel a little lie, anyone know of after market bigger brakes? also next is exhaust system, any ideas?
  • slr9589slr9589 Member Posts: 121
    Hey gang,
    just got the estimate for repairing the roof and right rear quarter panel.....$1750.00.....Somehow I thought it would be worse!
    Plan on taking the quad on long one way trip 9/1/01....will pull u-haul 6x12 trailer to orange,Tx. from Ma....should be interesting.Any of you veteran trailer pullers got any words of advice?
    thanks,
    stephen
    IMHO Dakota brakes are garbage. I have had rotors replaced twice and drums replaced twice (due to warpage) and I haven't hit 20K yet.
    No worries though, I am going to truckperformance.com to get aftermarket rotors.
    Moparchat.com has all kinds of postings about dakota brakes, not all the postings are very complimentary either.
    Sad too since Chrysler used to make excellent brakes.
  • hennehenne Member Posts: 407
    rear end synth!!!! if you lower your tire pressure for comfort you need to bring it back up to towing pressure, i have the th package and i run about 40psi all the time because i always have something hooked up for some reason or another and alot of people drop down to about 35psi for around town non towing so check that. i still have not pulled with my newest qc so well see how that does when the time comes. i pulled the same trailer empty 1600rt miles and back loaded and got about 11mpg empty and loaded i got about 9-10mpg. truck did great. be careful and enjoy the beautiful scenery.

robert
  • zonkzonk Member Posts: 208
    I, too, have a '01 4.7L, auto Quad Cab. My transmission dipstick does the same thing - push it in and it "rebounds" slightly as some others have reported. However, it seems that the position it stops at on the tube is far enough down so as to seal properly. So, I am not too worried about it, but will talk with the dealer this week or next when I take it in for a brake check. (That's a whole 'nother issue.) By the way, no sludge or discoloration build up around the cap as seemed common last year on the '00 models.
  • gaquadgaquad Member Posts: 29
    Well it has happened to me now. I have 7000 miles on my 2WD Quad and the service 4WD light has come on. After talking to slickwilliedj and finding more on Edmund's I called the dealer hoping that they would go ahead and order the part so that I would not have to go by there.

The service guy ask me what the problem was and I told him that my 2WD Dakota has the Service 4WD light on. He says, "what year is it?" I told him that it is a 2001. He then started laughing and said, "we have had a couple of Durangos like that, bring it in and let me look at what type of air-conditioner you have. He says that the fix on the Durangos has been "the air-conditioner control head"?

Has anyone else had this experience?
  • txqc2000txqc2000 Member Posts: 121
    Gibson Single Sideswept Catback. Or if you really have $$, get the Borla system.
  • pmaceypmacey Member Posts: 33
    2001 DAK QC, Flame Red, pictures show A.R.E. LSII Tonneau Cover with sport and Intense Peformance's Z-Tube with their new 9 inch Pro-Flow Filter.

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=1752860&a=13504569&f=0

This discussion has been closed.