Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hyundai Sonata vs Honda Accord

Comments

• joe97joe97 Posts: 2,248
    The new 08 Accord is a miss in the styling department, the mix-and-match of Sonata, BMW, Saturn cues didn't leave me with a good impression as the outgoing model did.
  • I think so. Quality control is not as good as it was before. Interior plastic is very cheap, leather quality is so-so.
  • Guys, all of you are whipping a dead horse here. There are Honda aficionados that will not consider any other car, and don't really care to discuss other brands. Perceptionally, and regardless of their current or future quality, Hyundai will never be considered in the same league as Honda. It's really ironic, especially since I'm old enough to remember when both Honda and Toyota were laughed at for their questionable quality many years ago. Time has a way to put a perspective on everything.

Honda is not the only car that will run 250K miles with minimal corrective maintenance. There are plenty of examples of Hyundais, or other brands hitting these levels too. For every Accord that has 250K on the odometer and still is running fine, there's a certain percentage that didn't make it to 100K - it's all about preventive maintenance and the owner. You simply can't make a blanket statement that all Accords will be absolutely bullet-proof for 250K miles or greater.

If you like an Accord - buy it. Same with the Sonata . . . you're not going to change anyone's thoughts on one over the other.
  • I agree 100% just like i said when you drive the same brand car for years you are not considering other brands i was trying to explain that earlier.
  • "I don't call cloth premium, but we obviously have different standards."

Some people simply do not like leather, and there are a number of viable reasons, ethical, practical and aesthetic, for this. It has nothing to do with standards or perceived image or luxury.

For example, in my 22 year old SAAB 900 - still a daily driver - the cloth is still in excellent condition with no tears and no wear spots. The same can't be said of most 22 year old SAABs, or other cars, with leather. Let's see, I wonder what a 1985 Accord's leather seats look like with over 300K on the clock?
  • I am from the UK and my memory and perceptions of Honda quality diverge from those of other posters.

I remember Nissan reaching our shores as Datsun and the garish mustard yellow color paintwork and mixed cloth/vinyl seat upholstery which wasn't well received. I can remember seeing rusted body panels and reading reviews talking about the deficient dynamic qualities of their vehicles. Honda came in a few years later with the Civic and Accord and they were much better received. They never had a poor reputation for quality but rather for being fairly rudimentary and low end. Honda has migrated up the ladder in terms of the size and sophistication of its vehicles but it has never had a quality issue, real or perceived.

Maybe there was an earlier generation of Hondas in the US that I am not aware of?
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,710
    I have no idea why you should buy a Sonata I4 vs. an Accord I4, that's your decision to make based on your criteria.

The reasons I would favor a Sonata are the upfront cost savings (around $5000 before tax and interest charges) now that the 2008s are out), smooth and quiet ride of the Sonata (although the new Accord may be improved here), exterior styling, and warranty. The big thing for me is that I don't think the Accord, while a fine car, is worth the price premium based on what I am looking for in a car.
  • I agree, i am not trying to change people minds,buying a hyundai gives it to you upfront instead of waiting 5 to 6 years just to get the resale value, i rather save right there on the spot instead, I did some more research the 1989-1998 Sonata did not have good resale,the 1999-present are much better than before because of the 10 100k year power-train and 5year 60k bumper to bumper warranties.
  • Hmm, our family pretty much drives Honda or Hyundai. Newer Sonatas, pre '08 Accords or older Elantras iirc. Personally either brand will do just fine.

Honda's are a bit more refined overall and seem a bit better performance wise (I4 to I4, v6 to v6...) And, they certainly have a better steering feel (to me) and a bit better winter handeling - but that could just be tires. Also the dealer network seems much more consistantly decent, where as Hyundai seems a bit more varied.

However, they do seem to collect dings and chips easier (hint: buy touch up paint), and don't fit tall torso folks as well (imho) as the Hyundias do, especially if there is a sun roof involved. And, oh course do cost a fair bit more too.

If there is any weakness (reliability wise) in the Accord maybe its front suspension bugaboos that seem creep in around 70-100k. Seen that twice...

With Hyundai? Well you get more more stuff for your money for sure. Doubly so with the Sonata 'purchase a dealer loaner program' which is crazy good. V6 Sonata with 3k or so miles for about $16.5k depending on how you negotiate.

Late model Sonatas seem just as reliable as the Accords so far (i.e. no issues), but then they are lower mileage than the Accords so far as well. The '02 Elantra had a minor issue with fueling/fuel pump stuff around 65-70k ish hopefully an islated issue, and may have been due to bad gas.

IMHO they are comparable and it boils down to is a just bit more refinement worth a few grand more.
  • robertsmxrobertsmx Posts: 5,525
    Like I said earlier, if money were an issue, I wouldn't buy a loaded Accord. In fact, I might likely go for a loaded Civic which has the power (almost matches my 1998 Accord while being lighter), much better fuel economy and EX-L model (new) might be possible for $20K complete with Navigation system.

But since I could afford it, Accord made more sense. Not just from reliability and resale point of view (the latter being a non-issue because I expect my cars to be around forever). They also have certain feel that can't be put on paper. The only car I would get over an Accord or a TL would be a BMW, but those are not cars I consider worth "owning" for a lifetime. They make sense as a lease (great deals, cheaper than "purchasing" an Accord). With 20-25K miles/year driving to worry about, leasing is the last thing in my mind.

My very first experience with a Sonata (and Hyundai in general) is something I will never forget. I still get a laugh out of it. Being over taken by a Honda Odyssey in the canyons of Oregon with posted speed limit being 70 mph and floored gas pedal can do that to anybody. I knew I was going faster than that, until I saw the speedometer was between 60-65 mph. And that was with the 2.7/V6, which, after 5000 miles of experience (this was during a road trip from Dallas to Seattle and back), couldn't compare with the less powerful and less torquey 2.3/I-4 in my 1998 Accord. Coincidentally, my Accord is also a heavier car.

And I averaged a shade over 27 mpg. By comparison, I average 26 mpg in my Accord in mixed driving. Under those driving conditions, the Accord averaged 32+ mpg. Better engine, better chassis, better fuel economy, more responsive drive train, superb ergonomics and quality... worth every penny that I want to spend in my cars.

I'm sure "value" oriented buyers have plenty of other choices, and they often start with presumption that initial savings translates to savings in the long term. For that, check Intellichoice ratings (ownership costs over five years). You will be surprised, even when you take rebates into account.
    They never had a poor reputation for quality but rather for being fairly rudimentary and low end.

Great point. Honda's beginning in the USA was with a splash. They weren't fancy cars, but got the necessary things right. Although ill-equipped, they were cheap, and great fuel economy brought in buyers. Reliability followed as a bonus. They were perceived by a few as low quality (largely for lacking appointments, power but not reliability).
  • ctc1ctc1 Posts: 66
    My last Accord was a 95EX I4 allthough it seldom gave me problems I hated driving it. Even with a 5 speed it was under powered and a chore to drive.I bought that car because of how much I like my 85LX witch was quick and responsive. When I bought my Sonata I also looked at the Accord and all of the cars in it's class. I have to admit the Accord was my 1st choice and the Sonata a close 2nd in drivability. After dealing with the arrogant honda dealer with there take it or leave it attitude I took my money to the Hyundai dealer. I'll admit it's a roll of the dice but after seeing several of my friends and co workers drive there hyundai's for many trouble free years I felt comfortable with my decision.
  • You cannot compare a V6 to 4cylinder, you should test drive the 3.3 liter V6 and the 2.4 liter 4 cylinder, you will be amazed how both engines operate, all i have to say my V6 has mind blowing 235 hp and 226 lb of torque, i know your love your Honda's, open up your mind a bit.
    I compared 1998 Accord's I-4 to 2002 (I think) Sonata's V6. And the I-4 was easily the all around winner.

The newer V6 in Sonata is better but the drive train isn't up to Honda's standards. Besides, Honda's new I-4 is far more powerful than the old one in my 1998. More fuel efficient too.

I think V6 engines are mostly a waste. While driving my TL around with virtually no vibration/sound from the engine during cruising transforming to a pleasant growl under acceleration is fun, 150 HP in my 3200 lb Accord was plenty (those 150 HP probably translate to about 145 HP under the new standard). It is a car that has superb response to overtake vehicles on busy 2-lane highways. Which is another comparison where the Hyundai V6 lost, despite having 30+ lb-ft (and 20+ HP) more at its disposal. I had to pull back to overtake, due to poor response and lack of brisk acceleration. Never been a problem with Accord. It still drives like it is late 1990s (I have 181K miles on it).

You don't need to worry about my mind. I need to worry about my satisfaction, and value for my money, however.
  • Dunno who this should refer to, but whoever - - might be interested. May I just suggest that you try driving a newer Sonata, 2006,2007 or 2008 in either the 4 or 6 cyl. You will probably change your mind about its abilities.
    van :)
    I've done that quite a few times. Sonatas are readily available at rental centers.

Hyundai has improved, but so have "the others".
  • That is your opinion,I keep on telling you that i will buy hyundai's, you will buy the honda's.
  • i agree that the accord is better than the sonata in terms of perceived quality (i.e. by about 10% at most but of course, i believe its a lot less than that).

but then again, the accord is realistically more expensive (i.e. by about 30% at least and with less features).

take your pick!

i'll get the sonata, anytime. :shades:

of course, we did for about $5,000 less than the accord with a lot more features on the sonata, at that! and we're looking at owning ours for the next 10 years, at least, backed by hyundai's 10 yr warranty :blush:

about resale value, we own cars for keeps. we have a 1988 pathfinder w/ 150,000 miles & a 1993 previa w/ 255,000 miles. we own them till they conk-out. in my experience, their longevity depends largely on how you maintain them. ;)
  • godeacsgodeacs Posts: 481
    I hear this all the time about what a great deal the Sonata is over the Accord (depreciation and re-sale value notwithstanding!). Please tell me what trim Sonata is $5K cheaper than what trim Accord. Also would like to know what are the "a lot more features" the Sonata has over the Accord. Inquiring minds want to know! Forgive me if I am skeptical.... :confuse:
    Feature-wise the difference is much narrower now with the debut of the 2008 Accord. For example, ESC used to be unavailable on I4 Accords while it was standard on all Sonatas. But for 2008 Honda has made ESC standard on all Accords. Maybe what some people were saying is that you get more features for your money with Sonata because you can get a higher trim level (e.g. the top-end Limited) for the same price as (or even less than) a lower-trim Accord.

The $5000-or-so difference in price comes about because:

* Sonatas start off being less expensive than comparably-equipped Accords. For example, the 2008 Accord EX-L V6 has an MSRP including destination of $28,695. The Sonata Limited with moonroof is $25,745--nearly a $3000 difference right there.
    * Also, Hyundai typically offers manufacturer-to-buyer rebates on the Sonata. The current general rebate is $1000 and there's also a $500 loyalty rebate to current Hyundai owners. However, the rebates have usually been larger, more in the $2000-2500 range for general rebates. They are smaller now probably because there are still 2007s on dealer lots. The general rebate on those now is $2500, with $500 owner loyalty (this is for MN, can vary by state). Honda has never (?) offered direct-to-buyer rebates, although it did offer incentives to dealers on the previous-generation Accords. With the new Accord, those have disappeared for now.
    * Dealer discounts are pretty easy to get on the Sonata, down to invoice or below. The markup over invoice on the Sonata Limited mentioned above is $1,643. Deep discounts were available on the previous-generation Accord, but I think it's unlikely there will be deep discounts on the 2008 Accord for awhile.

All these factors add up to the ability to get a Sonata for $5000 or so less than an Accord.
  • During the time we're shopping, we were comparing quotes between the 07 sonata SE V6 & 07 accord LX V6. Actually, the camry, altima & mazda 6 were also in our short list but since this is a sonata/accord thread, then i'll just limit it to those two. before TTL, we got the sonata for almost $17k and the lowest we can get for the accord was $22k+.

the features that i personally find important in the sonata were:
    1. fog lights
    2. shiftable A/T
    3. bigger interior & luggage space (i.e. all dimensions considered) rated as large car
    4. 5 stars in both frontal & side impact collision
    5. 10 yrs ltd power train, 5 yrs ltd bumper-2-bumper/roadside assist/anti-perforation.

since we own cars for keeps, its my belief that the extended warranty lends better peace of mind. i know of honda's sterling reliability record but much like stocks/equities, historical data/yield is & never will guarantee the future performance. :)

no worries, i believe that the accord is the better car over-all, i just prefer the sonata because it fits my needs better. :shades:
  • Make that a USED Hyundai Sonata. I just can't make sense of paying 300 to 400 or more every month for new car, or for a trendy used car with a high resale value. Just not worth it to me!

I'll be paying 10,000 to 11,000 down, and my monthly payments will be no more than $135.

With the extra money I'll have left over, I'll have the car paid off within 3 years max, at which point it will have only 60,000 miles or less on the odometer.

Why a Hyundai? I've beaten my poor little '01 Hyundai Accent so badly all its life, you'd swear I hate the car. It has 155,000 miles on it and still keeps taking a beating.
    Never even had to use the warranty.

I would keep the Accent another 6 years, but I'm a dad now and I need something bigger and safer. As much as I'm looking forward to getting the Sonata, I will really miss my good old Accent.
  • bhmr59bhmr59 Posts: 1,598
    We bought an '07 Sonata SE in Feb. '07. MSRP was $22,080. The price we paid including destination and all fees (except sales tax & registration) was $16,840. The only option was floor mats.
  • FYI they (the auto thieves) don't steal Accords because they are "nice" because they are reliable or have better fuel economy (although in one of those California car chases that might come in handy) or any other reason except for one: The car is so popular that stealing one for parts is profitable. Some GM cars (the Olds Cutlass for one) were on the most stolen list for a long time and still may be. So please do not equate being on the "list" for most stolen with stealing one because it is a nice Honda verses (an implied) not so nice Hyundai.
    It might be because their parts hold greater value.
    Generally, MSRP is about 9-10% above listed invoice. For a $22K car, invoice should be a little over $20K. If you paid only $16.8K, that means, the dealership/Hyundai were literally giving away the Sonata. $3K off invoice on the car is HUGE. Even during clearance sale, one rarely sees pricing much below invoice (only a few hundred at best, not thousands).
    I think it's unlikely there will be deep discounts on the 2008 Accord for awhile.

If car sells on its virtues, it is harder (but not impossible) to negotiate price. I know, because I managed to pay just a little over invoice for my 1998 Accord when it was a hot commodity. In fact, shortly after I got mine (EX-L), there was a wait list on EX-L/EXV6 sedan trims and situation was worse for coupe. Honda quickly responded with increased production, importing Accords from Japan.

So, even if this new Accord sells like that, people should still be able to negotiate.
    Actually, Hyundai parts are quite expensive, more so than Toyota parts for example (don't know about relative to Honda parts). So if anything, we'd expect Sonatas to be popular with thieves if they steal cars because of the price/value of the parts.
This discussion has been closed.