Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hyundai Sonata vs Honda Accord

Comments

• But how much faster/quicker does a family car have to be? If the 0-60 in the mid 6 second range and low 90's in the 1/4 mile in addition to a 140+ mph top speed doesn't do it then you should be shopping for a 2 dr 2 passenger car. I love fast but I recognize a "family" car doesn't need to run with a Corvette. Maybe that's just me.
  • Nah, it's not just you. I chose a 4-cyl Honda over a V6 lesser-priced car because of the economy and fact that the 166 horsepower Honda 4 was plenty smooth and powerful for me, smoother than any GM pushrod V6 I've heard or ridden in lately.

I was just thinking when I read that that the 3.3L in the Sonata is among the lower-end of this pack now (Fusion, Sebring, Sonata, 6); not mind-blowing power to me. Average.

Average these days is quick though, that's for sure, but as long as economy can go up too, I'll take more power.
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,681
    Like you, I am very picky and understand my wants, and needs. Which I why I didn't go for the 2001 Civic a few years ago. And which is why, before I give someone several thousand dollars more of my money than I would give someone else for a similar product, that more expensive product had better be damn good. Not with rattles (as the last Accord I drove had). Not a ride where I could feel every pebble on a smooth suburban street. It needs to be significantly better in several ways, ways that are important to me, before I'll fork over that extra $5 grand or whatever.

As far as Hyundai being creative... you probably noticed Hyundai caught Honda napping on active safety with the Sonata, getting active headrests and ESC across the lineup 2-1/2 years before the Accord. They also trumped the Accord until just now on interior room--another move that I see Honda has copied on the new Accord. Still haven't caught up in the warranty department, which was another very creative move for Hyundai I think when they introduced it for the 1999 MY.
  • elroy5elroy5 Posts: 3,741
    you probably noticed Hyundai caught Honda napping on active safety with the Sonata, getting active headrests and ESC across the lineup 2-1/2 years before the Accord.

Hyundai must have been napping in 03, when I was shopping for a car. I looked at the safety equipment on the 03 Sonata, and it was only 4 star, when the 03 Accord was 5 star. I consider ABS the most important safety feature, because it has saved me from crashes before. The 03 Sonata didn't even have ABS. Heck, my 92 Accord had ABS. Hyundai was asleep for quite a while there (11 years or more). That's more like a coma.
  • bhmr59bhmr59 Posts: 1,598
    The '05 Sonata had ABS available (about $600 msrp) and I think the '03 did also. The jury is still out about the effectiveness of stand alone ABS; ABS with ESC is another matter.

I think the talk of what has happened in the last 2 or 3 years is designed to show just how much Hyundai has improved the Sonata (and other models) in the last few years and is relative to the new cars of today.

Mentioning what a car offered (as an option or only in the top model?) 15 years ago doesn't really tell us anything about that same car today.
  • The Sonata is a high quality vehicle, you think just because they write Honda Accord you assume that it is better, my first car was 98 Sonata that is why i believe so much in Korean cars in general. They offer what the Japanese don't higher price less features, the Koreans offer more features for less money, I have a 2006 it has 235 hp not 234. Honda still uses timing belts in their V6 engines, while Hyundai uses timing chains Their V6 engines in opinion The Koreans want my business that is why they improved their quality.
  • I was trying to explain the same damn thing to you, i love Hyundai's those are the only common cars i would drive, other than a Leased BMW 325i or a Mercedes C300.
  • The Sonata is a high quality vehicle, you think just because they write Honda Accord you assume that it is better,

I'd appreciate you not assuming you know how I think or why I did something. Been there, driven that, and the best car for me was the Honda. It had the best balance of ride and handling for me, along with an interior which I perceived as top-notch - a feeling I didn't get in the awkwardly designed interior of the Sonata. The Sonata didn't appeal to me. I'm sorry you have a problem with that.

As far as the 1 horsepower difference, if we are using the new SAE testing procedures, which all cars must now fall under, then the 3.3L has 234 hp. Under the old standard, it ws 235 hp.

the Koreans offer more features for less money,

If all you are after is features for the dollar, then go Korean. As for me, I had standards that the Sonata didn't meet (driving dynamics, interior quality/interior styling) so I didn't choose the car. Saving some $ to buy something I had no desire to own would be a bad buying decision in my eyes.
    I think the talk of what has happened in the last 2 or 3 years is designed to show just how much Hyundai has improved the Sonata (and other models) in the last few years and is relative to the new cars of today.

The 08 Sonata was not out 2 or 3 years ago. If you can talk about the past, so can I.

I guess we can only talk about past years, if it benefits the Sonata? OK, I get it now. :(
  • I'm a Hyundai fanatic of course im gonna disagree with you that is the way it is, you the same, I love Hyundai's, you love Honda's.
    The current Sonata generation debuted in spring of 2005, so it's been out nearly 2-1/2 years.

One thing I noticed on the 2008 Accord is that it has inside door pulls that look very much like the 2008 Sonata's--a faux aluminum finish. I haven't touched the Accord's yet but they look like painted plastic. If so, I will be curious to see if any reviews mention that, as they did on the Sonata.

Also, does anyone else like the big swaths of faux wood on the doors of the Accord EX? Something about that shouted "1980s Buick" to me. A little well-done plood on the dash and console is one thing, but I think Honda went overboard on the amount of plood on the EX. And it's not convincing plood either. (Neither is that in the Sonata, but at least there's not as much of it.)
  • I'm a Hyundai fanatic of course im gonna disagree with you that is the way it is, you the same, I love Hyundai's, you love Honda's.

I don't think you understand; I'm not a Honda fanatic. Having only been driving for five years now, I haven't had enough time car shopping to be a "fanatic." The fact that you ARE fanatical about a brand of car isn't an excuse to make personal remarks about others.

I wasn't taking issue with the disagreement in personal taste of vehicles, I was taking issue with having words put into my mouth and now being told "that's the way it is." Well buddy, that ISN'T "the way it is." You don't get to decide if its "ok" since you weren't the one being talked about. Since it's me you are talking about, I'm the one that gets to decide if I'm ok with that, and I'm not. Implications of being brainwashed into a buying something is to say I'm an imbecile when you have no reason to say such things (heck, ya didn't even ASK - you just presumed it and made a judgment right there.

I'd appreciate it (and others will in the future) if you wouldn't jump to such conclusions about everyone and their reasons. We're not all fanatics about a brand of car like you claim to be.
    The door handles have always been plastic. They have never broken off in your hand though. Plastic's of today are stronger than many other materials. I have no problem with plastic, as long as it lasts a long time. At least the plastic wood in the 08 Accord looks like something substantial, not like the contact paper looking stuff in the Sonata. :P
    You must have driven Sonatas with much different plood than I have. There was no "contact paper" appearance to the plood, but the grain wasn't very close to the real thing.

I will miss the chromed handles from the 2003-7 Accord, plastic though they may be. At least they looked like metal. Funny thing about platic handles, though--they tend to get more brittle when it's -20 F. The inside door pulls I saw on the Accords the other day looked like something I might have spray-painted as a kid buidling model airplanes. I thought the outside door pulls were nicely styled though.

Yes, I agree the plood on the Accord looks... um... substantial. Yes, that's it. So does the plood on my sister's vintage Buick. ;)
    Yes, I agree the plood on the Accord looks... um... substantial. Yes, that's it. So does the plood on my sister's vintage Buick.

That vintage Buick's interior probably looks better than the Sonata interior too. It would be hard not to. :P
    No, I'd take the Sonata's interior any day. Especially when the refresh comes out in a few months. Rumors are it will be similar to this:

• I hope it looks that way. That's MUCH better than this:

• This is just a board do not take it personal, i am not attacking you in my opinion i am just making my point, if i am sorry.
    It looks like the same dash, but with that Camry looking silver thing glued to it. Awful. :sick:
  • What do you mean? The center stack was completely redeisgned (and isn't chopped up like it is currently in the 2006-08 models). Big improvement to me!
This discussion has been closed.