Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mitsubishi Outlander Engine and Performance Problems

Comments

• dodo2dodo2 Posts: 496
    As far as I know, Outlander has a traditional auto transmission not CVT. Please correct me if I'm wrong. 2008 Lancer will have the first Mitsu CVT (in NA at least).
  • The Outlander does NOT have a CVT transmission. Please do not confuse people by posting incorrect information.
    If, by any chance, you live in Canada and you read "The Globe and Mail" newspaper, I hope you did not get this information from there. On Thursday's February 15 issue of the Auto Globe section, they had a review of the Outlander and the author, along with other idiotic statements, was saying that the Outlander has a CVT transmission. Later on, they corrected the article online by removing the references to the CVT, but they could not remove the rest of the non-sense originated from the CVT idea. Useless review in any case.
  • wllmtwllmt Posts: 2
    I have a question about timing belt. I was almost got tricked by a mechanic at the dealer. All I wanted is to have a key made and he tried to tell me that I need to change my timing belt and almost didn't let me have my truck back. I told him that I was only here for a key. I'll take it to another mechanic that I can trust and I was told the key had to be made at the dealer. Costed me $150 which I think it's extremely ridiculous. The mileage is 61,000 and I know that I need to get it change as soon as I can but I have a very busy schedule. I know where I'm going to take it, I have to make an appointment and I don't have another transportation. Any suggestion?
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,228
    You can get an idea of what the timing belt service should cost for your zip code using the Edmunds Maintenance Guide.

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• wllmtwllmt Posts: 2
    What does this mean?? 50,000 to 74,999?? It'll be next week before I can take my truck in to get the belt replace, what chances am I taking?
    thanks,
    Click on the 60,000 service at that link - it should show the timing belt replacement in the list of factory recommended services.

I personally wouldn't worry about going over the mileage a bit (say, 1,000 miles or so), but there's always a little risk I suppose of a belt breaking "on time."

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• cxt153cxt153 Posts: 3
    What is the fialure mode of the timing belt breaking while you are driving? I had a Dodge Neon and when th timing bel broke it caused damage to the pistons in the engine.
    Is anyone familiar with a possible outcome of the timing belt breaking while driving?
    You didn't say what year your Outlander is - I checked at Gates for the 2003 and Gates says it's an interference engine.

Maybe another owner here can confirm, since Gates is occasionally wrong (they are wrong about my '99 Quest fwiw).

• :confuse: I have a Toyota Camry (97) I have had less than a year... bought it from a client of the law firm I work for... great car...very reliable...doesn't leave me hanging...yet. I am paranoid that "her" timing belt's gonna go and I am going to be screwed...I went on some website to find out warning signs but then someone else told me when it goes, it goes...you basically can throw the car away after that...I dont want to go that extreme...I'm at 78,000, need an oil change and query whether or not its just in need of a tune up...seems kind of sluggish lately...any advice?
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    This may help: Maintenance Schedule

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • Thank you, but no, that site didn't really...I've already consulted with my mechanic who I trust - we take all our vehicles to him...and he's local and very fair priced but I just cannot seem to afford to be without my car and to bring it to him and the sluggishness lately has me concerned...I just thought I'd throw out the posting to see what I got for bites? :)
    I'll rename the discussion to help avoid confusion - this one lives in the Mitsu Outlander group, so you'll probably get better results in a Toyota Camry board.

• Did you move my message to Toyota Camry discussions? I meant to put it in there myself...didn't know if you did. Thank you if so. If not, please let me know so I can figure out how to do it...I'm new to this... Thank you! :) Maura
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    Here's the link: Toyota Camry - Timing Belt/Chain Questions

You can copy and paste your original message.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • toomanyfumestoomanyfumes S.E. Wisconsin Posts: 894
    Is there an actual delay when you accelerate from a stop? I haven't noticed this on mine. The throttle is a little touchy but a lot of manufacturers do this make the car feel faster.
  • biscuit! hi my outlander was built january '07. any other TSBs that you know of that i should have my outlander be done at the dealer? i'm in western canada. thanks!
  • The delay is most obvious when you make a rolling start, like at a yield intersection where you never come to a complete stop. In those situations the throttle does nothing for a moment which makes you press the gas more, and then everything kicks in all at once with more throttle than you really need.

Those are the only two TSB's that I know of other than the wind noise fix.
  • Perfect! This has been my main complaint with the driving performance of the Outlander. I had yet to get used to the throttle lag. I'll get this serviced right away and post the results.

Thanks a lot!

- Marc
  • rcpaxrcpax Posts: 580
    You can print the TSBs and bring it to your dealer. Some dealers are even reluctant to do anything and will often deny the existence of any TSB unless you have it printed and shove it to their face. And make sure both are done at the same service visit. Here's the link:TSB 07-23-006 and TSB 07-13-007
    Just came back from a weekend trip. The car drives much better - no hesitation at all anymore. Another thing I noticed as I was going through quite a few hills is that the gear hunting is gone too.
    Overall, the car drives, much better.
    Do you guys have access to the full TSBs (the whole 12 pages or so)? I’m interested in the version number of the ECM and TCM software in these TSBs.
    I do, both 12 pages of each.it will take time for me though, to get it electronic. But since you're done with the TSB service, I think you can wait a little for the full text. I will post the links once it's all electronic. It'll probably be in PDF.

Yes, throttle hesitation gone, even 4WD Auto lag is gone. Gear selection is now more aggressive, especially when overtaking. The engine doesn't hesitate to give you a lower gear when it senses that you're starting to pedal the gas. And I notice paddle/stick shifting is quicker too, almost instantaneous gear changes now.

What a relief. Now the Outlander is even better than ever.
    In the meantime, could you please just post the version for both ECM and TCM software form those TSBs? I would assume there is a reference to those versions in each TSBs.
    The TSB link is updated. There should be a sticker in the engine compartment as proof your vehicle indeed got re-programmed.
  • rcpax, could you send me a copy of the tsb for the wind noise and the tsb for throttle lag so that i can print it out and bring it to the dealer with me. thanks! your infos are really helpful
    just follow the links I gave. All you need is there.
    Thanks a bunch RCPAX.
    You're welcome :)
This discussion has been closed.