Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mitsubishi Outlander Engine and Performance Problems

Comments

• toomanyfumestoomanyfumes S.E. Wisconsin Posts: 895
    Outlanderlsgeo I'm assuming your Outlander is a LS? Do you hear a noise (maybe from the tires) when you're turning at low speeds? Like in a parking lot.

Just wondering if anyone else has heard this and if it might be the Yokohama tires on the LS.
  • checked mine out but didn't hear anything. i know i hear 1 clunk a couple of minutes after i started driving, after startup. which according to a TSB i read(sorry couldn't add a link. forgot where i saw it), is normal as long as it happens only once 'coz its the ABS checking itslef. But if it happens more than once i know th TSB fixes bearings on the Left and Right wheel which mostly affects 11/06 and 12/06 builds but not all. Have it diagnosed at the dealer. I will be changing my yokohamas to winter tires nextweek
    Car was at the dealer today I had them check out the noise. They said it was normal tire noise. With 4 1/2 years of warranty left if it is something else I have plenty of time to have it taken care of.

Mine was built in January and I've never heard a clunk in the front end.
  • Mine was uilt January too, i haven't heard this noise or maybe i should listen to it more closely. this happens at low speeds? let me check mine again..
  • I think they fixed the clunk early, mine is a Dec 06 build and it has never clunked.

The throttle TSB is great, the more I drive it the more I notice how much better it is now.
  • Biscuit! Hi my outlander was built october '06 Do I have to do the throttle TSB's?

Thanks a lot!
  • dodo2dodo2 Posts: 496
    Yes. It applies to ALL 07 Outlanders built before July 07.
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    We're rearranging some of the discussions to consolidate closely related issues for your convenience. As a result, you will see some messages out of order with respect to date.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • I had the throttle lag as well. I printed off the 2 tsb's and took them into the dealership. They fixed everything in the vehicle runs MUCH more smoothly. Thanks to whoever posted the tsb's. :)
  • This message is directed to owners of an '07 Outlander.

My Mom purchased one last spring. She took it in for the 3K maintenance last week and they found that her transmission was leaking. It was repaired, supposedly, but when she returned to the dealer a week later as informed, the tranny was still leaking.

The dealer made several calls and she was told to leave the vehicle at the dealer. She was given a loaner and told that they would be replacing the tranny. Japan asked that hers be returned to the engineers in Japan to see what was causing the leak.

Anybody have this, or other, tranny-related issues?
  • comem47comem47 Posts: 393
    Amen to the TSBs. I had them done and the tech was cautious about what I should expect since the throttle is "fly by wire", and he expected I'll always find it "different", but
    I'm very pleased with the results. I told my wife to forget
    what I told her to do before if she were to drive my outlander since it behaves normally now .The pedal is much more linear from stop and no "sags" when rolling along.
  • I am so glad to read this from you. Many thanks. Can you also post the 2nd tsb (07-23-006). I can only print the 1st tsb.
  • Thanks for the tsb info. I bought a 2007 Outlander this September and noticed the throttle lag the second day of use. Probably didn't notice it earlier because i was used to my Ford Taurus which had a much stiffer gas pedal. Took it back to the dealer who ran diagnostics, found nothing wrong. I'm not sure when my car was built but the VIN does not fall under those listed on the bulletin; ie 7U instead of 7Z, yet I am still noticing this problem. Can i still use this bulletin to take to my dealer? Other than this problem, I love the car. :surprise:
    here is the link to the posted TSBs (if you have an account)

http://outlander.freeforums.org/viewtopic.php?t=70

My car was built in March, so it applied.
  • I noticed the lag on my first test drive. Purchased mine in November and it also had the lag. I took the TSB to the dealer and they took care of it. No more lag. Thanks all who posted the TSB's.
  • I live in canada, and had my '07 outlander in to the dealership to get the throttle lag fixed. Since then I've noticed significantly worse fuel consumption. I called the dealership to tell them & they told me that since it had gooten colder, anyone who'd had the throttle lag fixed was having the same issue. I asked to be switched back to the old ecu/throttle program, saying I'd rather deal with the lag than lose 50-100 kms every tank of gas (yeah thats right!). They told me once the program was updated, it couldn't be fixed.

can someone help! anyone esle experience this problem? any fixes? I'm about to call Mitsubishi Canada, hopefully they can offer some ideas.
    Is that displayed MPG or actual MPG you are talking about?

I notice that I haven't approached the displayed 26 or 27 MPG on HWY since the change (now maybe 23 mpg) but it is colder as you say. The only true MPG is measuring by computing your own consumed gas vs miles. (unlike my wife's Malibu that is very close on the displayed average MPG). As others pointed out the
    display starts all over each time (my first few miles may say like 4 mpg, etc until
    enough miles are on it.) Mitsubishi should learn from others and change the way it works.

Lately in the cold my mileage is about 21 mpg US (with the throttle lag change made) with combined local and HWY miles. Last fall (warmer and before the change) I think it was close to 23 MPG

Hope this helps. for comparison (don't trust the display and make real measurements)
  • the avg is higher, but i base the claim on actual mileage recorded from tank-to-tank. I haven't changed my driving style at all, and I'm getting between 50-100kms less per tank of gas. I've gone through 5 full tanks since the TSB, and its happened consistently each time. I usually get between 475-550 depending on how much highway driving I've done. now I'm lucky to get 450kms out of a tank.... usually closer to 400kms.
  • I see this concern by madmax was never finalized...too bad as I have the exact same problem with the valves tapping at low rpm on a 2007 low mileage engine. I will be heading to the dealership soon to have them check it out. Probably will say it is normal or related to the cold weather. Has any one else had this problem and was it fixed? I know that there is no power loss and it is not a major problem, but with less than 2000 miles on a new vehicle, a quiet engine would be nice. I know our Outlander maintenance schedule includes a valve adjustment every 15k; perhaps I can get them to perform one early.
    I never saw anything about valve adjustment in the maintenance schedule, this would be pretty unusual for a new mainstream vehicle. I've noticed about a 2 MPG drop in mileage on the highway (from 25 to about 23) since the temperature dropped. It was about 10 degrees this morning.
  • Our "new mainstream vehicle" 2007 Outlander's Warranty & Maintenance Manual (P. 37) has this line on every 30,000 mile/24 month schedule:
    "Inspect and adjust intake and exhaust valve clearance. [4G6-MIVEC engine and 6G76B3-MIVEC engine (intake side) only]
    If valve noise increases, adjust valve clearance.*
    *This maintenance is not "scheduled" service, should be done any time."

I have read here and on other sites that Mitsubishi engineers say that it will not be required, but when they include it in their manuals than they will be covered if it does need adjustment. I found this line in the warranty manual Adjustment Period section:
    Adjustments required as a result of manufacturing deficiency are covered for 12 months or 12,000 odometer miles, whichever occurs first.

More than likely the dealer will take care of the adjustment with no charge. Will give it a shot.
  • I had my throttle lag taken care of and I too have noticed a considerable MPG loss. I used to average about 24-26 highway and 18-20 in the city. It's down to about 21-23 highway and 16-18 in the city. I used to average about 330-350 miles per tank in mixed driving and now I'm down to about 270-300. We're talking almost 50 miles per tank. I have the same issue as I live in northern Wisconsin and it's getting colder here as well. I know mileage drops with the temperature, but it was never this bad last year before I had the throttle lag fixed. I'm going to wail until spring and see if it gets any better (i highly doubt it) before I take it back in.
  • Let me preface my statements with saying that I am not a gearhead and I do not own an Outlander, but am considering purchasing one. In response to the concerns about decreased fuel efficiency, I doubt it is secondary to the change in throttle lag and likely caused by the change in temperature. I do not know the exact physics of how it happens, but gasoline has a decreased amount of combustible energy the colder the temperature. In fact, I read an article a year ago that described a potential law suit against the oil companies because the price of gas does not change in the winter, but the consumer actually gets less gas, at least in terms of how much energy per gallon they receive, in the winter than the summer. As a result, for the same amount of money and the same volume of gas the consumer gets less energy and hence less miles or km per tank of gas.
    I guess we'll really know in the spring when the temps rise again, but I can't really see how the throttle lag fix would waste that much gas (remember that ALL Outlanders manufactured after the fix date now have the fix as standard). In the testing the submitted (now 2008) car would then do that much poorly in EPA dyno tests.(2008 ratings, by definition, will be different than the way things were measured in 2007, so it's hard to tell)

Could be wrong but I gotta feel the new programming can't be that wasteful of fuel in order to solve a minor transition problem when you consider that most highway is steady state driving.(or putting it another way, could they really be saving that much fuel the old way by making the car less drivable getting up to speed compared to others?) I do know the car is much more drivable now in stop and go driving than before the fix.

Supporting the "cold" effect, my wife's Malibu was steadily exceeding 30 mpg in warmer weather and now she is complaining of seeing 27 or less. (cold or winter fuel mix is the likely cause as no changes have happened with her programming and car is around 25K miles...neither breaking in or old)
  • Hi smoke 1ers,

i was wondering if you can provide me with an update of the lag fix. what has mitsubishi done for you in this matter? i have not asked for the lag fix but am sort of concerned that they may have done it with out my permission. the reason is i too have experience a very noticable change in the mpg i get . before i was getting anywhere from 520- 750 kms. i will have to make sure to see if i have any lag still.
  • hi madmachine,

i was wondering what was the final result int he noise you had in your engine? i too have a clicking sound coming from my engine recently. i am presty sure that it was a lifter or something like that and i was just wondering if you could shed some light on that. i know it is not any relay as some of them think. did you find that your mileage went down as well when the sounds started? i do, almost half as it once was. as well did you get the lag fix and was it worth it?
  • Engine Noise update. I thought that the dealer was giving me a line when he said it is because of the outside temp. Sure enough today was in the high 20s and the lifter noise was not there. I still have my doubts, but will let it go until spring. I keep forgetting about minus temps and the effects on cars, noises etc. I guess living in Florida made me forget about the FRIGID Wisconsin winters! :)

The mileage does go down in winter I have learned, but not attributed to the noises.
  • growwisegrowwise Posts: 297
    Try thicker oil. It may quiet your valvetrain chatter but you'd probably lose a little in gas mileage. I'd go with 5w30 or 10w30 in florida. In canada, winters are awful and hence I am running 0w20 now but come spring will switch it out to 5w30.

Oh and dont worry too much about specs.. Mitsu recommends 30wt for v6 in Japan.. They know whats best.. But they are also in business and face CAFE fines in NA. See specs for 3.0ltr below (3000 cc)

Goto page 115 and plug text into google translator if you want but it wont be pretty
    http://www.mitsubishi-motors.co.jp/outlander/pdf/outlander08_14.pdf
  • batman47batman47 Posts: 606
    How does Mitsubishi distribute its TSB? Who are entitled to have ones? Do I need to pay for them? Do only dealers and registered technicians able to have these TSB?

Kia and Hyundai have web sites where registers owners can access to any TSB.
  • batman47batman47 Posts: 606
    I have a Lexus 3.0L SC300 and its engine is very smooth. This car has a DOHC engine. The Outlander 3.0L has a SOHC engine. Will this type of engine be the cause of the engine noise? Is it a problem with all Outlander V6 or just a few?
This discussion has been closed.