Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Will the Chevy Volt Succeed?

Comments

• michael2003michael2003 Posts: 144
    I agree that the Volt is a great start to a new mode of transportation. Looking forward to somewhat more powerfull electric motors and more efficient power generators, but we have to get the ball rolling somewhere.

I'm very hopfull that the Volt is a big success and that the Dealers do all they can to not impede its success.
  • fho2008fho2008 Posts: 393
    Said it before, many times, I'll say it again, when you can buy one, NOT LEASE one let me know.

Apparently even the Nissan Leaf is only available as a lease.
  • isellhondasisellhondas Issaquah WashingtonPosts: 17,356
    They must have some reason for doing this?
  • michael2003michael2003 Posts: 144
    Both the Volt and the Leaf are available as either a purchase or a lease.
    Volt is NOT available. Apparently the Leaf is as Nissan is advertising it.
  • Sorry, but Volt is available to several locations. I know a few folks that have submitted their order. They have yet to determine whether to Lease or Buy, but the vehicle is available for order.
    Big difference between "available" and "available for order".
  • larsblarsb Posts: 8,204
    Hair, meet Splitter.
    Volt is NOT available.
    edited August 2010
    " Hair, meet Splitter"

Really? Don't you know the difference between being able to order something vs. being able to walk right in and drive a car home?

I can walk into my local Chevy dealer and drive home a new Malibu or I can leave a deposit on a Volt and place an order for delivery at some unknown time.

Do you understand the difference now?
  • dmathews3dmathews3 Posts: 1,739
    I just went to the Leaf site and they ARE NOT AVAILIBLE TO BUY no matter what the other poster thinks. You can reserve one for $99. All that gets you is a place on the list so when they do come availible you can the get one. I guess that is the same as going to your local Chevy dealer and ordering one.
    So what happens when your order is cancelled?

It happens.

Then, if they make em, lease only? It DID happen, EV-1.

Volt is NOT available. When I see em on Chevy dealer lots/the street, you win, so far........dont see em!!
  • sebring95sebring95 Posts: 3,225
    i'm not sure what the point of all this is. If I want to walk in today and trade my '05 Odyssey for an '11 Odyssey...can I do that? No...but a couple months and I'm sure I can. It's not like the Volt is still in the pipe-dream stage....so YAWN

FWIW I was interested at the $30k-35k range but not $40k+.
  • larsblarsb Posts: 8,204
    Oh course I "understand" the difference, I'm not a 'tard, but the point is:

What. Does. It. Matter ?

We are in the "pre-release" phase of the Volt.

What does it matter it you can order it, put down a deposit for it, or buy it sight unseen - it remains A CAR YOU CAN'T YET DRIVE OFF THE LOT BECAUSE IT'S NEW AND NOT IN THE SHOWROOM YET.

And until THAT part changes, the rest is just semantics.
    Preaching to the choir. Amen.
    I'm not the one who started this.

To me, even 30-35,000 is WAY to much for that little car!
  • sebring95sebring95 Posts: 3,225
    It's not that small (civic-ish) and at $30k with the tax credit is in the ballpark of others. Sounds like it's going to be well equipped at entry level so probably very close to a Jetta TDI which would be what I would cross-shop.
  • dmathews3dmathews3 Posts: 1,739
    You have to have the vision to look at the whole picture. I have a 08 HHR that I have put about 15K on give or take with 99.5% or more in the 20 mile one way club which means in two years I would have put NO gas in it. I don't have to worry about for example the email I just got from gas buddy saying they are predicting the price of gas in my area will rise about 20 to 30 cents in the next 24 hours. What they should have did was make a HHR shape of elec. car so as to get the maximun use out of it. Not only could I drive it everyday, carry passengers but stop at the lumber yard and pickup some 2 X 4's etc.
  • I would also agree that providing this type of vehicle in a form that makes it a bit more flexible will go a long way towards opening up the market.

I would personally prefer it be styled more like a Focus hatchback (the upcoming model) and have a solar panel on the roof to help reduce battery draw and keep car cool when sitting in sun.
  • reddroverrreddroverr Posts: 509
    I envision that some people will have to run the battery down on occasion so they can use the gas in the tank before it goes bad.

the main thing is to hopefully get the battery cost down and get a more attractive price point. But, one good gas shortage like the 1970s or $5+ gas prices and this car becomes much more valued.